Glasgow Rangers FM 2018

Rob Gray

Ah Jogo!! Gutted to see you not take up the Rangers Challenge but delighted to see you thirsting for a new venture, can't wait to see where out end up.. Always go out my way to read your posts.. 

Oh and as someone who is managing Rangers just now I'd very much be interested in these "low fee/frees" you speak.. We at Ibrox aren't inundated with talent at thr mo!! 😁 

That being said, this money has really thrown me. On one hand it's a fantastic amount to invest in a poor squad but it almost seems unrealistic and I'm kinda struggling whete to start? Target wise..

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoarau said:

Ah Jogo!! Gutted to see you not take up the Rangers Challenge but delighted to see you thirsting for a new venture, can't wait to see where out end up.. Always go out my way to read your posts.. 

Oh and as someone who is managing Rangers just now I'd very much be interested in these "low fee/frees" you speak.. We at Ibrox aren't inundated with talent at thr mo!! 😁 

That being said, this money has really thrown me. On one hand it's a fantastic amount to invest in a poor squad but it almost seems unrealistic and I'm kinda struggling whete to start? Target wise..

Thanks for the compliments, very kind.

I might test the water and see if it seems flexible enough to what I'd like at Ibrox. The reason I'd asked about the WP situation was because I couldn't see how your two strikers qualified for theirs. It does give hope that it might work, but I've got to admit there would have to be a mass exodus very early on for me to really be sold on the challenge. I'd be keeping those two strikers, Pena (who I remember signing on a free for St Etienne or Grasshoppers about five years ago), and a handful of others if I'm tempted in. The chance to have somebody I know fairly well working under me on the staff is also quite appealing. 

By the way, I'm sure you don't need my help on transfer targets, your ability to find players is plenty good enough - and you'll be much more satisfied with your own choices :lol:

Just started my first season.

Signed John McGinn for £1.4mil, McKenna from Aberdeen for 100k and Ogbene from Limerick for 70k. Managed to sell Niko for 800k to some Turkish team so I ended up with near 2 mil to spend. Got rid of a couple of others too (Bates etc). Looking to buy Morgan, Gallacher and Knox too, basically snap up all the Scottish players with some potential.

Away to play Sion in the Europa playoff.

Herrera has scored 10 goals in 5 games for me!

Any suggestions for a back up right back? Was gonna try and buy Cadden and retrain him cause I like attacking fullbacks.

2 hours ago, Wightman said:

Just started my first season.

Signed John McGinn for £1.4mil, McKenna from Aberdeen for 100k and Ogbene from Limerick for 70k. Managed to sell Niko for 800k to some Turkish team so I ended up with near 2 mil to spend. Got rid of a couple of others too (Bates etc). Looking to buy Morgan, Gallacher and Knox too, basically snap up all the Scottish players with some potential.

Away to play Sion in the Europa playoff.

Herrera has scored 10 goals in 5 games for me!

Any suggestions for a back up right back? Was gonna try and buy Cadden and retrain him cause I like attacking fullbacks.

Good work getting McGinn for £1.4m, I can't get them to negotiate anything under £4m. I was thinking about going for Cadden, Stojanovic from Dinamo also looks a good option that you could make a healthy profit from.

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

What player database are you guys running for your Rangers save to find good cheap players, especially you @Jogo Bonito

You don't want to be trying my approach! I set up a test last night, had about six or seven players lined up on free transfers (all of whom would probably have gone in to the first team), and none of them qualified for a work permit! Good luck anyway though.

17 hours ago, garybrannan23 said:

Good work getting McGinn for £1.4m, I can't get them to negotiate anything under £4m. I was thinking about going for Cadden, Stojanovic from Dinamo also looks a good option that you could make a healthy profit from.

Tbf im playing the mobile version (not got time to play the full version nowadays) so I think its a bit easier to get some players. I managed to sign Matthew Know for 22k aswell last night. Gonna sell/release Miller soon because I've got Herrera, El Buffalo, Rudden, Knox and even Hardie for my lone striker role.

McCrorie looks decent, I've given him a few games already. Although its annoying hes a right footed Right/Centre back when hes a left footed Centre back in real life.

Just finished my second season in my Rangers save.  Thought it would be a good save to start with in the full game since they don't have a manager.

I'm yet to win any of the cups since I've lost to Celtic every time, or get to the group stage of the Europa League because of bad draws, but I managed to win the league in the second season by two points.  Both Celtic and myself finished over 20 points clear of Hearts in third.  Finding getting new players a challenge due to lack of funds but I've managed to snag some fantastic older players on free transfers and I'm focussing on bringing youth through as well.  I was able to get a cracking little central midfielder in the first intake who was rated 2.5 stars when he was first generated!  He's still just 16 but he's more than good enough for the first team according to my assistant.

I'm hoping to qualify for the Champions League this season, I'm enjoying the save because my tactics are good and the team is playing lovely football.  I just wish I had more money to invest in players...

1 hour ago, LethalTexture said:

Just finished my second season in my Rangers save.  Thought it would be a good save to start with in the full game since they don't have a manager.

I'm yet to win any of the cups since I've lost to Celtic every time, or get to the group stage of the Europa League because of bad draws, but I managed to win the league in the second season by two points.  Both Celtic and myself finished over 20 points clear of Hearts in third.  Finding getting new players a challenge due to lack of funds but I've managed to snag some fantastic older players on free transfers and I'm focussing on bringing youth through as well.  I was able to get a cracking little central midfielder in the first intake who was rated 2.5 stars when he was first generated!  He's still just 16 but he's more than good enough for the first team according to my assistant.

I'm hoping to qualify for the Champions League this season, I'm enjoying the save because my tactics are good and the team is playing lovely football.  I just wish I had more money to invest in players...

If you qualify for the groups stage of the champions league 2 years in a row, you’ll have a lot more money to spend! 

2 hours ago, Whatawaster95 said:

If you qualify for the groups stage of the champions league 2 years in a row, you’ll have a lot more money to spend! 

I hope so!  I'm managing to get by on transfer listed players, cheap youth signings and free transfers at the moment but I'm developing slowly.  Investing any money I do get on improving the youth recruitment and youth coaching to try and develop from within and perhaps gain profits selling a few players to bigger leagues.

Long term aim is to win the CL but it's a long term project!

Having just entered the international break at the start of September, I'll give a quick update on my save. 

I brought it 3 players during the window. 

Lewis Morgan £300k - Boy is doing absolutely outstanding. He fits my system perfectly and has 3 goals in 5 games so far and has been a real threat. Looking forward to seeing how he progresses. He got YP of the Month as well which was good.

Lucas Joao (ST) £1.1m from Sheff Wed - Spent almost all my budget on this fella. So far he had scored 1 in 9 but his link up play is absolutely second to none. He is involved in most of my goals and is a key player in my system, which I changed slightly to suit his play better. Hopefully he can get in amongst the goals a bit more but as long as he keeps playing like he is then he'll be a key part of my team. 

Tony Gallagher £33k - I don't think I need to explain this one much. He's out on loan for the season and hoping he comes back ready for first team football. 

Sitting 2nd at the moment after 4 matches with 9 points. Celtic are top with 10 and Motherwell are 3rd with 8. I lost to Motherwell 1-0 but after that I scored 10 in the next 3 and on a roll in the cup too.

In the Europa I lost to Everton in the 3rd qual round. Managed to get 2 1-1 draws and then lost on penalties 8-7. Absolutely scunnered that I never won but happy enough. 

My best player so far has been Candeias. He's scored 6 in 8 and was just voted Player of the Month. Hopefully he can keep the form up but I'm not holding my breath. 

Got to October in first season having tried the game with no more transfers.  Alves has just done his ACL and is out for 9 months and has retired- Wilson and Cardoso both injured and had to play the Betfred final v Celtic with Bates and McCrorie as DCs.  Scored early, controlled the game and then lost a goal in the 89th minute.  Went to extra time and penalties ( isnt it amazing that I would have put a lot of money on this happening ) and after losing about 5kg with the stress , during the game, won 5-4 on pens.

Board then offered a new deal in November (up from £7.5K to 9.5K but would not move on any more) so talks have stalled.

I managed to get to the Champion's League group stage fairly easily at the beginning of season three but struggled to make any impact, beat Zenit at home in my first game but also had Liverpool and Lyon in my group.  Needless to say I'm bottom of the group having just been on the wrong side of a 5-0 drubbing by Zenit at their place due to injuries at centre back.

Not all doom and gloom, managed to put on a credible 3-2 loss at Anfield and won the League Cup convincingly.  Two points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand over Celtic, and invested the CL money into improving the training and youth facilities.  Need to make sure I keep up the good form and win the league again to get that Champion's League money in again.  Having said that, we went up in the co-efficient at the end of season two so now both 1st and 2nd get entries into the CL qualifiers.

Continuing to invest in youth as much as possible and have some exciting prospects, though thanks to Brexit I'm struggling with work permits for younger players.

A lot of the clubs want ridiculous amounts of money for the young Scottish players, it is a general rule for most teams in the world.

I am enjoying my Rangers save, I beat Everton in the 3rd Qualifying round over the 2 legs but then got lumbered with Ajax in the playoff final, I lost 6-2 in the first leg thanks mostly to my centre midfielder getting sent off after 30 minutes and nearly won on agg, I won 3-0 in the home leg, one more goal and I would of gone through on away goals.

I am currently top of the Scottish Premiership.

Morelos and Candeias are joint top scorers for me and my stand out players, Herrera is not far off them and Windass was awesome for me in the first 2 games but got injured for 3 months, he is back soon though.

OK, despite a massive fail in my recruitment plans, I'm going to try the Rangers challenge for a bit and see how it works out.

I'm tempted to list the players that had agreed to join before their work permits were rejected, but instead I'll name the actual new recruits when the first transfer window ends.

@Jogo Bonito I can't wait to see how you get on.

So I finished my first season with Rangers and managed to win the title in the last game of the season, will do a full update later.

Oh yeah I managed to qualify for group stages of Champions League, but I have Barcelona, Monaco and I think Man Utd in my group or something like that, I will confirm later when I get home.

This was my triumphant first-season league win. 1-0 down, Ryan Jack gets sent off around the 55th minute (obviously...). I switched to 3 at the back, pushed the midfielders further forwarded, and somehow came out with the win.

EEFCE5A307C01F473747937C20E21FD9042DBD69

I signed Anthony Lozano for £1m from Barcelona in January of the first season and he's been an absolutely bargain of a buy so far. Other good buys have been Percy Tau and Humam Tariq on free transfers, Luka Adzic for £1.4m from Red Star Belgrade. Edison Flores has been decent buy at £1.1m too. I also brought Giorgos Efraim back for £2.4m, but I ended up overloaded on wingers (Tau and Adzic are my first choices, and MoH is still doing well for me too) so I sold him on to Ipswich for a healthy £6.5m in the January window of the second season. Just brought in Dhurgham Ismail to add to my young Iraqi contingent as a long-term replacement for Lee Wallace. £525k has just got me Jon Gaztañaga, and I'm hoping he'll be my solid ball-winning midfielder for the next couple of seasons.

I'm running away with the league in the second season, mainly because Celtic have done so bad. They brought Koeman in as manager after Rodgers went to Newcastle, and from 25 games so far they've already drawn 8 and lost 3. They drew 5 and lost 4 in the whole of the previous season. By contrast, I'm on 2 draws and 1 loss from 25. Formation is 4-2-3-1 wide, with slow tempo and short passing. I switched from a more swashbuckling tactic at the end of the first season, and it really seems to have paid off in terms of striker efficiency. The team is averaging around 50% shots on target, scoring around a third of the shots on target. I think we're having fewer shots in total, but the quality of chances we're creating seems to be far better.

Oh yeah, and I signed Walter González for £550k in the first season, he's my best striker but for some reason just can't get a game for Paraguay, and every work permit application has failed. He's currently on loan at Zaragoza where his value is up at £8m, but it seems I'll never get the chance to actually play him.

Managed to get Trent-Arnold on loan for the season and George Williams from Fulham on loan too.

Got knocked out of the Europa by Sion in the final qualifier on away goals :s but I've won all my league games so far and got my first game against Celtic coming up. Still not settled on a way of playing yet but my formation is a 4411 and just now im exploiting the wings and using early crosses. Candeias has 17 for crossing and Herrera has decent movement and is also not bad in the air so that's my thinking.

Also, Bruno Alves is out for 4 months! So its Wilson and Cardoso at the back with McCrorie and McKenna as backups but thinking of starting McKenna ahead of Wilson.

• 2 weeks later...

My beta file got corrupted so after topping the league and qualifying my EL group I had to start again. :(

Managed to qualify for the group stages again after beating Sparta Prague then Bordeaux in the play offs.

Signing wise I've signed a few players for the youth team and apart from them it's loans, bringing in the likes of Walker, Lewis Morgan, Oliveira from Porto (who looks quality) and Sierhus from Ajax after Herrera done his cruciate.

Anyone know a decent striker in the mould of Miller? Don't feel comfortable relying in a 38 year old!

Im coming upto Xmas in the first season and Herrera has scored 41 goals in 26 games!

No one else seems to be scoring but my tactic is designed to rely on a striker getting on the end of crosses.

I'm 3 points above Celtic in the league. Rodgers left them for some Belgian team and they got Paulo Sousa in. Neil Lennons also been sacked which is pleasing.

Anyone signed Moult? im thinking about getting him in as backup to Herrera and Morelos.

2 hours ago, Wightman said:

Im coming upto Xmas in the first season and Herrera has scored 41 goals in 26 games!

No one else seems to be scoring but my tactic is designed to rely on a striker getting on the end of crosses.

I'm 3 points above Celtic in the league. Rodgers left them for some Belgian team and they got Paulo Sousa in. Neil Lennons also been sacked which is pleasing.

Anyone signed Moult? im thinking about getting him in as backup to Herrera and Morelos.

Got Moult in my save but he isn't the best TBH, misses loads of chances! 

I'm having a great time in my Rangers save.  I'm in 2027 now, the title winners swung between myself and Celtic for the first few seasons while I established myself and built up a healthy bank balance.  I've won the title now for the fourth season in a row and won the domestic treble for the first time (always played squad players in the League Cup and I more often than not came unstuck against Celtic in the Scottish Cup).  Would have gone the whole season unbeaten in the league too if I didn't try to blood some youngsters before the end of the season.

Managed a Europa League win a few seasons ago after coming third in the CL group (both myself, PSG and Man Utd finished on 11 points that year, I lost out to Utd on goal difference) and regularly reach the quarters and semis of the CL.  I'm looking to make that extra step by developing young players brought in on cheap deals or free transfers as well as the youth system, although intakes have been poor over the last few seasons.  I set myself a wage cap of £50k per week to try and keep costs down.

I've been able to find some absolute gems, including a Spanish centreback I picked up on a free in the first season (he's a regen, evidently not given a contract by whatever team he was generated at), he's now a world class player, club captain and regular starter for Spain.  Been able to use his teammates to convince him to stay every transfer window as he keeps getting his head turned by the likes of Real, Barca and Man City.  Other highlights include Oliver Burke and Victor Jensen on free transfers (starts the game at Copenhagen, moved to Ajax and then Liverpool but only made six league starts in total), both tearing it up on the wings and becoming club legends within two seasons.  Also regularly beating back bids from the likes of Real and Bayern for Jensen.

I'm trying to keep growing the club, not overspending needlessly on players and generating profits by keeping wages down and selling on players where possible.  Aiming to win the CL within the next few seasons.  Scottish Premiership up to the fifth best league now too.

Won the treble in season one, yet im disappointed with who fancies coming to Ibrox for season 2.

Just qualified for the Champs League groups... so it may give me a boost for the final day of the window.

Current Lineup.

GK - Daniel Bentley

DF - Ryan Fredericks

DF - Aden Flint

DF - Lewis Dunk

DF - James Tavernier

MF - Saphir Taider

MF - Gaston Brugman

MF - Josh Murphy

AT - Jese

AT - Elias Kachunga

AT - Jordan Ayew

Also have Karim Rekik and Ruben Neves in the squad to mix it up a bit.

Just got the game tonight and had to go Rangers to see if there was any difference from real life.....

Pre-Season transfer updates:
SOLD: Rossiter (450k Tottenham)
SIGNED: Emmanuel Eboue (Free), Carlos De Pena (Free), Davit Targamadze (Free), Mark Davies (Free), Islam Feruz (Chelsea - 300K), Ruben Sammut (Chelsea - 190K)

Europa Draw - St Josephs (Gib)

First Leg - Won 22-2 on aggregate (Miller scoring 13) (screenshots below)
is this game for real?

FM1.jpg

FM2.jpg

Denilson (ex Arsenal) WP got accepted right after the game - Free transfer

I'm 10 games in and having an absolute disaster with injuries.

7 weeks to 3 months - Miller, McCrorie, Pena, Morelos

4 weeks to 12 weeks - Windass, De Pena, Kranjcar, Holt

10 days to 3weeks - John, Dorrans, Wallace

Got Athletico Bilbao in a week in 2nd leg after a 2-1 win in the first, looks like Europa will be over for this year

Surely theres something going on with the game all those injuries over 5 games

Posted this in another thread, but here is how my Rangers stand:

I tell you what, its a timeline of misery off the field for Rangers, im fuming, the fans are fuming, its all a conspiracy by the Celtic Football Association :mad:

1 - Failed FFP, banned from Europe

2 - Board accepted bids for 3 players, Dunk, Neves and Felipe Anderson... combined for £144,500,000 .... they obviously ignored the fact that each of them took a 50% cut of any deal!

3 - The club sell our Youth Facilities for £12,000,000 and rent them back

4 - 29 Sept 2019, the Administrators are called in to oversee our £115,000,000 debt

5 - PFA take on the clubs wages and ban me from transfers (Weekly wage of £1,100,000)

6 - We have been docked 15... FIFTEEN.. points, 15! Fortunately we have won 7 from 7, so are joint 2nd bottom on 6pts, 10 adrift of Celtic.

Let us all forget that my run in the Champions League helped the nation climb in co-efficient to now have 2 Champions League entrants. Lets forget that and punish the only club willing to make the league worthwhile.

OUR CLUB WILL NEVER DIE

Club have agreed a £100,000,000 CVA but we are still in Admin and under a transfer embargo. Still looking likely to fail next years FFP as well, currently £70,000,000above the threshold :D 

edit - out of embargo as we have paid off the PFA. Not that there is any budget to play with come January.

OK, not sure whats going on but we have further re-structured the debt and now our CVA is just 38,000,000! Still in admin though and our first loss of the season comes at Parkhead :(

Falkirk in the Skol Cup final though, the first step to a 3rd straight treble :thup:

edit - Easy enough 9-0 in the Final :D 

30th  December we finally exit administration which is ideal as we can reject transfer offers now, especially given the whole squad want out :D

Still 7pts adrift of Celtic, having played a game more. 17 games left, 2 more Old Firm matches... bare in mind we have lost 1 and drawn 2 of our 21 games!

Archived