Sports Interactive Community
Rob Gray

Glasgow Rangers FM 2018

obviously I'm not playing as rangers, but in case you are interested...in two seperate saves paul lambert has been appointed as pedro's replacement each time

doesn't seem too far beyond the realms of possibility i guess.  would you take him irl?

Really enjoying playing as Rangers, thought it would be difficult to get players in with having such a low transfer budget and wages available but managed to bring in 8+ players, some are top class!
Scraped through to the Europa League group stage beating, Floriana, Brondby, Dinamo and then Freiburg. Top of the league with 4 wins from 4.

Got some amount of injuries though, Tav is out for 8 months, Candeias (who is brilliant in game) is out for 3 months and Lewis Morgan who i bought from St. Mirren is out for 3 months too!

9 hours ago, michealhill said:

obviously I'm not playing as rangers, but in case you are interested...in two seperate saves paul lambert has been appointed as pedro's replacement each time

doesn't seem too far beyond the realms of possibility i guess.  would you take him irl?

It was a Polish guy in my save.

23 hours ago, michealhill said:

Joking aye ?

My save he got it as well , though strangely the game reported him replacing Warburton.

OT- how are the likes of Morellos and Mcrorrie ?

Its Rudden still a huge talent ?

Edited by treble_yell_:-)

31 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Joking aye ?

My save he got it as well , though strangely the game reported him replacing Warburton.

OT- how are the likes of Morellos and Mcrorrie ?

Its Rudden still a huge talent ?

he needs to rebuild his management career and the challenge at rangers would go some way to rebuilding that.  he never struck me as the sentimental type that wouldnt associate with the main rivals of a club he played for.  in all, i dont think he is in a position to turn down a job as big as rangers

1 hour ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

Joking aye ?

I'd take him, we could certainly do a lot worse.

Started a quick Rangers save. Season going well so far, second after 3 with Celtic in front naturally. They are a different beast in this game. Quite real to life I suppose. They're just bating everyone to the side (they put 12 past Linfield over 2 legs in the CL qualifiers). They've got money to spend as well so I worry this season may be difficult. Entertainingly, the player values are high given how well they done last season. They got 10m for Sviatchenko and with Tierney rated at 13m with both Liverpool and United interested they'll get more before the window shuts. Stuart Armstrong is rated at 11.75m and Inter want him. Rogic is woth shy of 10m and Huddlesfield want him. So ...... I can't see Celtic being short of change for a while yet.

Qualified for the Europa league rather unexpectedly. Beat Bangor, Vaduz and Maritimo before squeaking past PSV. Hoping to get some money from it cause the team could do with a bit of a change.

Stupidly spent 750k on Formose Mendy from Red Star FC which was a mistake as it's half my budget and he's a squad player at best. On the flip side I was able to get in Tony Gallagher from Falkirk for 100k and loaned him back for the season. I also signed Fofo (Free) as cover for AMC. My best signing is probably Carlos de Pena (Free) who is now my first choice AML

Going with a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3 formation with the AMC becoming  a DM if needed.

Herrera

de Pena / Pena / Candeias

Jack  / Dorrans

John / Cardosa / Alves / Tav

Fod

Herrera is a delight as the lone striker. 12 in 11 with a 7.51 average 

19 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

@Whatawaster95 who were the 8 players you signed out of curiosity as I might start a Rangers save soon.

Most of these guys were signed with a low upfront fee and the rest on add ons.

Had my budget upgraded twice which allowed me to sign these playerss. Got around an extra 800k when selecting low squad win bonuses for winning the league and Scottish Cup and then got an extra 1.2m when asking the board for more money after qualifying for the group stage of the Europa League.

Ryan Jack was complaining at not playing and requested to be sold in the next window. Sheff Utd offered 1.3m for him and he's now leaving on the 1st January so i have around 1m to spend in January when it comes too.

Luri Medeiros is absolutely amazing and Cutrone is scoring for fun.

Just beat the tims 2-1 thanks to a Cardoso last minute winner and now top of the league with 7 wins from 7.

transfers.png

Edited by Whatawaster95

3 hours ago, Whatawaster95 said:

Most of these guys were signed with a low upfront fee and the rest on add ons.

Had my budget upgraded twice which allowed me to sign these playerss. Got around an extra 800k when selecting low squad win bonuses for winning the league and Scottish Cup and then got an extra 1.2m when asking the board for more money after qualifying for the group stage of the Europa League.

Ryan Jack was complaining at not playing and requested to be sold in the next window. Sheff Utd offered 1.3m for him and he's now leaving on the 1st January so i have around 1m to spend in January when it comes too.

Luri Medeiros is absolutely amazing and Cutrone is scoring for fun.

Just beat the tims 2-1 thanks to a Cardoso last minute winner and now top of the league with 7 wins from 7.

transfers.png

you start out with a £6m transfer budget?

1 hour ago, DKB said:

you start out with a £6m transfer budget?

No was 1.3m i think but as i said majority of transfers were done in add ons and installments so in reality it was maybe 2m spent in that window in upfront fees.

I had a look at this for a save, as never done Scotland and with recent history etc, thought it might be interesting to knock Celtic off their perch.

The board expectations are to win the league in the first season. How realistic is that? And do you get a second chance if finish runners up?

Irl Celtic seem over the hill and far away and I am not the best FM player so would be looking for at least 2 seasons to catch up. Could be a cracking save though for FM18.

1 hour ago, Jibby123 said:

I had a look at this for a save, as never done Scotland and with recent history etc, thought it might be interesting to knock Celtic off their perch.

The board expectations are to win the league in the first season. How realistic is that? And do you get a second chance if finish runners up?

Irl Celtic seem over the hill and far away and I am not the best FM player so would be looking for at least 2 seasons to catch up. Could be a cracking save though for FM18.

Rangers will always be expected to win the league, just the nature of the club. I think you might get a second chance if you finish 2nd, win a cup and qualify for the group stage of the Europa League!
It's not terribly difficult, beat all the other teams every week bar Celtic and you'll have a great chance of winning the league!

Just finished the first season and it was a good one!

Won the league by two points. Lost Betfred cup final and then the Scottish Cup semi final to Celtic. Enoyable to see Hibs finish 11th but only stay up through and extra time goal againt Morton in the playoff final. Was hoping they went down so i could get McGinn on the cheap.

A good run in the Europa League made some decent money for the club. Finished 2nd in the group stage behind Liverpool with Ludogarets and Atalanta lagging behind, then went onto beat Marseillie in the 1st knockout round before Arsenal pumping the team in the 2nd round.

Made some cracking signings and most should make a big profit when sold on. Cutrone on loan was amazing, top scorer and managed to get 2 Italy caps. Nuno Santos and Mediros in the wide areas are far too good for the league as well.

Looking forward to 2nd season now, aiming for a domestic treble and to reach the group stages of the Champions League. Need to find a great striker to replace Cutrone!

squad.thumb.png.349abdd57a706c5239bf3368cbe4ded9.pngleaguetable.thumb.png.b7e31bf5a37c11766aefdd72528e6e55.png59ff5e405b31e_transfers(2).thumb.png.8b4650fb34b25679cac4235cdcdf67a2.png

On 05/11/2017 at 17:15, Jibby123 said:

Celtic seem pretty imperious this year. I played as St Johnstone, and Celtic romped the league first season with 100pts, and are cruising the second. Rangers were comfortably second in the first season and are still there now, McInnes manages them.. 

1 hour ago, Collina said:

Any bargain central defenders for Championship sides, please.

Not sure why you're asking in the Rangers thread but yeah, I brought in Hjörtur Hermansson for relatively cheap, he's been great when called upon. 

On 11/6/2017 at 23:47, LewisC1996 said:

Hi, I’ve just started a career with Rangers and have noticed that the third kit is missing, does anyone know if this will be added ? 

Apparently SI were asked to remove it- must be some license reason, I assume.

10 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Not sure why you're asking in the Rangers thread but yeah, I brought in Hjörtur Hermansson for relatively cheap, he's been great when called upon. 

Sorry, man, I just mixed up the threads. Gonna look over Hermansson and other signings from your list anyway, I also have around £6m to spend. Thanx.

Alessandro Del Canto (no, me either!!) got the Rangers job in my save.

Surprising as I am Aberdeen - would have expected McInnes to get it as he's available.

Lambert has got the Scotland job.

Some of the players are over rated, some under-rated.  I feel like not enough research was done on this squad. Oh well, still a great way to spend some free time. 

I got Diogo Concalves on loan from SLB, AM R or AM L, good player. I also picked up de Pena, cracking player. 

Just lost the Europa League playoffs to Freiburg after beating OM :(

8 hours ago, Pro Patria said:

Some of the players are over rated, some under-rated.  I feel like not enough research was done on this squad. Oh well, still a great way to spend some free time. 

Worth remembering some players who have just been signed, like Morelos, will have been rated by their previous clubs researcher, they'll get a boost in the Winter update when the Rangers researcher gets to rate them. 

If anyone is struggling(as per real life) to find a left winger, I signed Diego Capel on a free and he's be great. Him on one side and Candi-ass on the right is a joy for strikers.

Wanted a team in a league I've never managed before so I made Rangers my first save in FM18. Only in mid July but made 3 signings for the first team. Swedish keeper Andreas Linde, transfer listed CB Tobias Figueiredo and Juan Fuentes on a free. Also made a bunch of free transfer signings for the U20 (guys like Bunjaki,Ferati, Brammen) for more depth. De Pena looks like a good suggestion, I might bring him in next.

Edited by Evanescent

For those who have got De Pena onboard, he looks a good prospect but my scouts say he will not get a WP- did you get one for him?

I've just started with Rangers. Only made two signings on loan, as the budget doesn't get one very far... 

Brought in Jay Fulton from Swansea and Diogo Goncalves from Benfica B, both on season-long loans. In the first Euro League Qual round, I beat UE Sant Julia from Andorra with  11-0 on average. (5-0 at home, 6-0 away), with Herrera scoring all five in the first match. In the second round, I have Brøndby from Denmark... I have £600k left for transfers, and around £12k left for wages. So no room in getting anyone in. 

Started my first FM18 save with Rangers as per usual.

Breezed through the EL qualifiers and managed to beat Bilbao 5-1 on agg. in the play-off :D

Got a decent group too with Sociedad, Sparta Prague & Lokomotiv Moscow all beatable. Just hammered Sparta 5-1 at Ibrox after losing 2-0 in Sociedad in the first game.

Signings so far have been mostly youth (Gallacher, Knox, O'Hara etc.), loan wise I brought in Jamie Walker, Patrick Cutrone (lethal), Timothy Tillman & Oliver McBurnie.

Stupidly got the board to negotiate a 1.4m deal for Lewis Morgan before I noticed his contract was expiring next summer! Couldn't even cancel it, looks like a quality prospect mind you.

Formation wise, I've been using a 4-1-3-2 with 3 CM's for easier games and a counter-attacking 4-1-4-1 for Euro/Celtic games.

Pena is an absolute machine in this and my top scorer so far with 10 goals in 17 games. Shame he's nothing like that in real life...

That's great... I already asked though, so I don't think I'll be able to in August :) 

12 hours ago, Rino72. said:

Started my first FM18 save with Rangers as per usual.

Breezed through the EL qualifiers and managed to beat Bilbao 5-1 on agg. in the play-off :D

Got a decent group too with Sociedad, Sparta Prague & Lokomotiv Moscow all beatable. Just hammered Sparta 5-1 at Ibrox after losing 2-0 in Sociedad in the first game.

Signings so far have been mostly youth (Gallacher, Knox, O'Hara etc.), loan wise I brought in Jamie Walker, Patrick Cutrone (lethal), Timothy Tillman & Oliver McBurnie.

Stupidly got the board to negotiate a 1.4m deal for Lewis Morgan before I noticed his contract was expiring next summer! Couldn't even cancel it, looks like a quality prospect mind you.

Formation wise, I've been using a 4-1-3-2 with 3 CM's for easier games and a counter-attacking 4-1-4-1 for Euro/Celtic games.

Pena is an absolute machine in this and my top scorer so far with 10 goals in 17 games. Shame he's nothing like that in real life...

How do you set up your 4-1-4-1?  Despite doing pretty well in earlier versions of FM, I'm not doing particularily well with FM18. 

8 hours ago, Pro Patria said:

How do you set up your 4-1-4-1?  Despite doing pretty well in earlier versions of FM, I'm not doing particularily well with FM18. 

Structured, counter, hit early crosses and play much narrower. Once I'm in I'll post up a screenshot.

Anyone know a decent replacement for Miller? He's been quality for me so far but his stats are starting to decrease. Sam Baldock looks like a ready-made replacement but Brighton want £7m.

First season, August 12th I just asked the board for more transfer funds...

I now have £11.31m to spend...Hmmmm...

Damn you... I asked them in the beginning of the save, and can't ask them in August :p 

I made my way through the Europa League Qualification... UE Sant Julia (Andorra) beaten 11-0 on agg, Brøndby IF (Denmark) beaten 3-0 on agg, Panathinaikos (Greece) beaten 4-2 on agg, and finally KAA Gent (Belgium) beaten 4-1 on agg. I've been placed in Group I alongside NK Maribor, Girondins de Bordeaux and Zenit St.Petersburg. Gonna be a rough ride. 

Are the work permit conditions the same in Scotland as they are in England? I've got lots of names in my head that would probably join a club the size of Rangers for free or low fees, but most of them are non-EU and wouldn't qualify at English clubs. If yes, I quite like the idea of heading to Rangers as it's been a few years since I did (they were in the fourth division). 

P.S. If the answer is no, does anybody know if it's any easier to get them in Ireland (Northern or Republic). If no to all of these countries, it looks like I'll have to go back to the more lenient European countries again.

WP rules are the same in all of the United Kingdom (ie. England, Skotland, Wales & Northern Ireland) :)

That's a shame, but thanks for confirming what I thought. I think the Republic of Ireland might be different, but the low club reputations wouldn't help anyway.