From Here to There: The Wanderings of An Incompetent Neophyte

BryanS

Herein shall be documented, in far too much detail, the trial and travails of yours truly as I have recreated myself as realistically as possible within FM 18.  To truly do this justice, I could have waited for some of the lower-league databases to be completed by the ever-impressive FM community.  However FM is not really designed to deal with that many levels of competition.   Therefore putting myself in the closest possible city to where I actually live(Grand Rapids, MI, USA) and entering my actual age and particulars, I begin in February 27 2017 in the United States.  I've then gone on holiday, which is currently progressing, until I reach the current date(well, tomorrow, October 27th). 

Attributes

** 3 Mental, 2 Fitness -- Whatever else my teams I are, I will endeavor to the best of my ability to make them intelligent and well-conditioned squads.  Note that the best of my ability is a very flexible term;  I haven't played since FM 14 and accomplished nothing noteworthy even then. 

** 4 Adaptability -- I want to have a shot at being hired anywhere in the world.  On '14 I ended up in Indonesia, and it could very well be some similar backwater.  This will be a world journeyman-style career. 

The Job Search

I then purposed to apply to anything and everything available until I found someone dumb enough to hire me, a now-40 year old who has overstated his knowledge and playing experience even at the FM minimum -- I was a decent defender and keeper in youth-league.  And that's it, I never played competitively again.  Truth be told I've spend most of my adult life far more interested in the more 'American' sports, esp. basketball and tennis.  So frankly, you'd have to be on some particularly excellent drugs to even consider an interview -- or really desperate.  Therefore, I am not allowing myself an interview with any club not meeting the following requirements:

** Status of Semi-Professional at best.  The idea of any fully Pro club giving me the time of day is a bad joke. 
** Reputation of Local or worse.  This excludes most of the clubs in the game, as it should. 
** The ideal situation will involve other issues as well;  a particularly bad economic or facilities situation, impending relegation probability from the lowest league in a nation, that kind of thing.  Again, only the truly desperate would consider me. 

Job Movement

** I must strongly consider any job which offers an increased wage.  Refusing such a move must require a good reason(as determined by me, but generally would have to be a combination of a worse situation in some other way and a relatively minor increase).
** Any job offering double or more my current salary will automatically be accepted, regardless of circumstances. 
** I will not take the initiative and apply for any position that is not realistic given my own reputation.

Goals

After committing the hilarious travesty of actually being hired as a head coach somewhere, I'll endeavor to do what I can until something better comes along.  Naturally I have the usual obscenely lofty aims of winning the Champions League, winning the World Cup(preferably with the USA), winning a top domestic league -- but I'll celebrate the little successes that come along the way.  If they come, that is. 

The Larger Stage

I will also be documenting, starting when I take my first job, various high-level competitions throughout the world.  This will serve as a good reminder of what the eventual goal/standard is, and a way of keeping tabs on the ebb and flow of events. 

Starting Job Search

After a few days , in early November I started getting the occasional offer from teams struggling in the Vanarama N/S and making a change, but none of them quite fit the bill;  a couple hit the basic requirements but stadium/facilities were too good and they didn't really look nearly desperate enough for my services.  Stuff coming in from elsewhere were interview offers from teams too large, though most clubs rightfully laughed off my applications. 

** November 23 -- I seriously considered taking an interview for the first time(Wexford FC, Ireland, who have just been relegated back down to First Division after their first appearance in the Premier, and are picked to do poorly again next year).  Once again though it just looked a little too cozy. 

** November 29 -- KFC Oosterzonen-Ooserwijk from the Belgian third tier(First Amateur Division) offered an interview.  They have an interesting situation which would have been quite appropriate for me, but the language barrier was too much.  I don't speak Dutch, French, or German, the primary languages in Belgium.  For an experienced coach they might overlook that, but it was much less likely in my case.  I'd have to keep searching, though this would been a very intriguing job to take. 

** December 4 -- Formentera(Spanish Second Division B3) agreed to consider my services.  They are also Semi-Pro/Local, and were founded in 1971.   The last five years, they were a Third-Division side of escalating success, finally earning promotion last year.  They were predicted third from the bottom this season in the Second Division ... and have managed to fail even those minimal expectations.  Former head man Tito Garcia Sanjuan, previously of Legirus Inter, who led them to promotion after taking over last year, got the axe after a bad start. 

It's a situation that no respectable coach would walk into;  the odds of avoiding relegation, and the inevitable accompanying sacking, are long indeed.  President Xicu Ferrer is notably somewhat opposed to bringing up players through the youth system;  that would be a problem in the long-term if this was a club that could afford to worry about the long-term.  He was willing to pursue setting up a parent club, which was encouraging, and I suggested that we need a defensive style.  Overmatched at this level, Formentera needs to scrape for every result they can and avoid big early deficits. 

Sigrel Trinidad from the North American Soccer Express wanted to get a reactioin afterwards as news of the interview leaked, but I simply said I have no comment at this time. 

** December 9 -- While they were still considering what to do, CR Bouzas from another branch of the Spanish Second Division B, a club with a much longer history but also just promoted and sitting in last place(though not as dire of an outlook), and the interview with President Manuel Seoane went similarly -- he's of a like mind to Ferrer it seems.  They did ask about me being in the running for multiple jobs, to which I replied I am simply considering my options.  The payroll budget is notably 15% lower here, but on the other hand there seems to be a greater chance of avoiding relegation at first glance. 

After hundreds of applications in a frantic effort over these past several weeks, I've now had my first two potential opportunities come up just five days apart -- and both in the same country.  I'm looking to forward to seeing what if anythign they offer. 
Later the same day, at 19:04, Formentera informs us they've decided I'm not the right person for the job.  REJECTED!!  They're going with Santi Castillejo instead.  Hopefully CR Bouzas will not reach the same conclusion ...

** December 12, 10:59 -- CR Bouzas officially offer me a contract! 

0nJwuOv.png

I'd have taken the job for free, but I didn't tell them that.  This is basically a paid internship for me;  I get a chance to coach in one of the top football nations in the world, and if we beat the odds and don't get relegated I'm off to a fine start.  Even if that doesn't happen, I'll have gotten some experience and something to build on.  I've got the amount in Euros here;  I'm going to adopt the measurements appropriate for whatever job I have, meaning that I'll also need to get used to the metric system. 

I've decided to hold off on looking at the larger situation in the world until the new year hits;  I figured since that's just over half a month away I might as well get settled in here a bit first, then do that overview when it comes.   So next I'll take a look at my new digs. 

W9vDsph.png

The 1,000 capacity at Baltasar Pujales is more than enough for the time being;  we're currently averaging attendance of 461, ranking 16th. 

Finances

CR Bouzasis currently rated 'Insecure', and it's easy to see why.  We simply can't afford what we are currently spending.  Last March, the club was in the black by nearly 300k.  Right now we're 90k in the hole, a number projected to grow to 1.76M by the end of the 19/20 season with average losses of about 50k per month, over 17k in the red already for December.  One would hope that income would grow over time at this level if we can hang around, and hopefully Seoane will be willing to put in additional funds.  He is said to love the club, but we're not going to survive this kind of bleeding indefinitely.  We just can't afford what we're paying people right now:  player salaries account for almost 45% of expenses, staff another 24%.  By themselves those exceed income.  I'll have to see if there's anything that can be changed on that front. 

Staff

** President Manuel Seoane and Director Baltasar Pujales comprise the board here. 
** General Manager Alex Martinez(44, 725/wk., National A Lic.) -- Very adaptive to different cultures and favoring a fairly strict approach, Martinez is decent at working with young players but pretty much sucks as an evaluator of talent, motivator, dealing with people, etc.  I wouldn't give him a grade better than poor on any such matters and worse on some.  Keeping him on though was a stipulation of the board, so he stays.  Martinez is the only full-time staff member. 
** I'm second-highest paid at 625/wk. 
** Assistant Coach Jesus Moro(37, 275/wk., Continental A Lic) -- Moro is the most qualified person on the staff, and is under contract through the summer of 2019 so he's not going anywhere.  He leans slightly to the strict side of discipline, and is nearly adequate but not quite in most areas.  I definitely trust him more than anyone else when it comes to opinions of our current players, and he has a strong knowledge of Spanish players as well.  Fitness and goalkeeping are his only major weak points -- otherwhise a credible if unimpressive all-around assistant.
** Goalkeeping Coach Juan Recondo(48, 400/wk, National A Lic.) -- Slightly to the disciplined side as well, solid at working with young players, but in actual goalkeeping matters he is poor at handling and shot-stopping, downright hideous when it comes to distribution.  He definitely doesn't add enough to justify his salary, and unless he's willing to take less he's not coming back if we survive relegation.  Naturally, he wants a 25% raise.  If he was willing to consider a 50% pay cut I might think about extending his deal. 
** Fitness Coach Manuel Alvarez(39, 275/wk., no license) -- Very adaptable, fairly strict, and good at dealing with young players.  Bad at actual fitness coaching though, and he's worse in most areas.  Wouldn't know a skilled or talented footballer if they sat on his head.  I'll be looking for someone either cheaper or better down the road, and his deal ends this next summer also.  He wants a modest raise as well, which he's not getting. 
** Head Physio Agustin Ferreira(455, 325/wk., no license) -- Adaptable, pretty average discipline, and nearly adequate at his primary job though he's quite bad at keeping up to date on the latest science.  Bedside manner is also profoundly lacking.  I think about extending him, but he also wants a raise. 
** Physio Beni Diaz(44, 350/wk., no license) -- Very adaptable and as much a disciplinarian as they come.  Bad at physiotherapy and not at all a man of science.  Beyond that, why do we have a second physio at this level, let alone one who is as unskilled as he is ... and actually getting paid more than his boss Ferreira??  Diaz's contract will not be renewed. 
** Chief Scout Fernando Bragado(52, 220/wk., no license) -- Bragado has a Nominal reputation in the coaching world, which is more than can be said for the rest of us.  Along with myself, pretty much the rest of the staff here is rated at Minimal.   Bragado is decent at judging ability and nearly so when it comes to potential, along with being quite adaptable and disciplined.  I think he's worth the price, and he's clearly the guy to listen to on prospective signings around here, what with Martinez being basically useless in his opinions.  Bragado just recent joined CR Bouzas, and is under contract through 2019 so we're set here. 
** U19 Head Coach Pirpi(29, 250/wk., National A Lic.) -- No second name, just Pirpi.  A spirited guy, he's got only average adaptability and slightly lower discipline, favoring a different approach than the rest of the staff.  He's poor or worse at everything associated with his job, particularly when it comes to managing egos -- the only exception is he actually has a talent with youth.  The key factor here is we simply can't afford a U19 coach -- anybody who can't help in the senior team potentially is not a player I want to be signing. 

Pirpi and Diaz then are set to be let go and not replaced, possibly Recondo as well. 

Squad

Let's take a look at who our players are.  Literally the entire roster has their contracts expire next summer. 

Keeper

Brais Pereiro(26, 425/wk., 177 cm) -- Pereiro has conceded 4 times in 7 matches, and is considered a step above the others here.  He's also unfortunately not quite good enough for Second Divison B, and Moro believes that he's just past his best football and starting to decline.  Pretty solid in all areas, nothing that stands out as a huge strength or weakness.  Fairly smart and fit, moves well -- he's definitely the guy right now.  Pereiro isn't interested in a contract renewal yet though. 
Alan Martinez(22, 220.wk, 196 cm) -- Martinez, an Argentine, is a big young man.  He hasas a better rating than Pereiro despite conceding 8 times in just 4 league matches.  You figure that one out.  Isn't ready for this level, but has the potential to be an adequate backup.  Distributes well and does better in one-on-one situations than Pereiro, but both physically and technically can't match him overall.  Even though he's still improving, he's considered surplus to requirements by Moro. 
Ivan Comesana(18, 210/w, 179 cm) -- Comesana is considered a Hot Prospect, and has the highest ceiling of any of this trio.  He's smart and a little better athlete than Pereiro already, but some of the other areas aren't quite there yet, particularly anticipation and command of area.  Still, the assessment is that the previous regime was foolish to transfer-list him, and I'm inclined to agree.  Moro reports that he thinks Comesana could eventually become one of the best players on the team. 
We can't afford to be paying players who aren't in the first team, and we can only have two there.  Comesana is going to be our backup as soon as we can get rid of Martinez.  Comesana is willing to accept a contract extension, but we couldn't talk him down below his current pay rate.   He did want a raise but accepted not getting one, so I'll take it. 

Defense

DC Raul Gonzalez(25, 200/w, 186 cm) -- Gonzalez is on loan from First-Division side Coruna.  He's considered our best in the middle, arguably even good enough for this level.  He's also considered selfish, hates the pressure of big matches, is an errant passer, and hasn't fit in well here.  Not very strong, but he marks and tackles well, and has sufficient jumping and heading ability.  Athletic player who is usually in the right position, there's more to like here than dislike. 
DC Pablo Trigueras(24, 250/w, 194 cm) -- Trigueras is almost as good as Gonzalez, but not quite, and just below the standard needed for the Second Division B.  Inconsistent, selfish, poor technique -- but he's got the potential to be a credible starter or at least rotation player.  Another guy who was transfer listed but could grow into someone who can help us here, and our best central defender under contract.  That makes little sense to me.  GM Martinez wants him off the transfer list, and I agree, but he isn't interested in an extension. 
DC Roger Bonet(22, 130/w, 191 cm) -- Another big DC on loan, this time from Tarragona(Second Division).  He's also the only guy who is a little bit upset at the moment, wanting first team action.  We don't think he's ready for it.  He's good enough to be a reserve for us right now, but while he will improve, it won't ever be enough for this level in our opinion.  Smart and quite a good leaper, he doesn't head particularly well, and really needs to get stronger to be successful in his role. 
DC/DR Junior Roman(21, 190/w, 184 cm) -- Roman is fairly versatile, able to also play the DM role.   Unfortunately it's mostly versatility at not being good enough.  He's probably never going to quite get to the standard we need for this level.  Determination, selfishness, and inconsistency are seen as key weaknesses;  he's a physical player and one of the fastest on the team, reasonably strong but doesn't jump well though heading is decent and tackling quite good.  Anticipation and bravery are also key weak points.  Definitely a reserve at both back-line positions is the way he can best contribute.  Since he's willing to accept an extension at a somewhat reduced price(160/w), I agree.   The ability to give us coverage at three different positions, even if poorly, is worth keeping him around longer. 
DC/DL Colo(23, 325/w, 184 cm) -- Another improving player who can't quite hack it right now, but should be able to become at least a reasonable depth option.  He's our top backup option in the middle of the defense and on the left at the moment.  He's also inconsistent, doesn't do well in big matches, and doesn't jump well.  Tackling, decision-making, anticipation are all good and he's fairly quick around the pitch and in reasonably good shape as well.  Definitely a guy I want to keep around, and he'll take a modest pay cut(275/wk.) to extend his deal.  Every little bit helps. 
DR/WBR Adrian Gomez(33, 600/w, 170 cm) -- Gomez(ARG) is a guy we basically can't afford to pay this much to.  He's a marginal player at the Second Division B level, and at his  age obviously not getting better.  Clearly our best DR though right now, but Moro reports he is in fact in steep decline as a player.  Doesn't jump or head well, but while the physical aspects of his game are leaving quickly, he has a variety of solid skills technically and mentally.  Notably, he is more aggressive and a better passer than our other defenders, pretty creative and works well within the team concepts.  Still, there's no question I have to let him go if he won't take a steep pay cut.  He's not willing to accept that right now, which is quite understandable -- maybe he'll change his mind closer to his contract ending.  If we can find anyone remotely comparable to take his place, I may well have to transfer list him. 
DR/WBR Cristian(27, 300/w, 185 cm) -- Cristian can also play the DL and MR positions, though less effectively.  He's our top backup at DR, and the only wide midfielder on this flank in the entire roster.  And yet he's transfer listed.  Fast and intelligent, he might be the overall best athlete on the team and is also a decent stabilizing influence.  Aside from adequacy at first touch and tackling though, his skills just aren't quite what they need to be across the board, and doesn't look like he's going to get any better.  He's also totally unreliable when the pressure's on.  I'm forced to agree that we need to replace him.  If he was cheaper that would be one thing -- I'd like to keep smart players around as much as possible. 
DL/WBL Sergio Cotilla(25, 625/w, 179 cm) -- Another guy who isn't good in big matches, Cotilla is nonetheless one of the best on the team and unquestionably the top performer on the back line.  7.05 rating with an assist so far in league play.  It's mostly physical with him, as stamina, speed, and agility are all quite good.  Technical abilities are adequate at best, and the same is true for the mental side though anticipation and leadership are quality -- Cotilla is the team captain.  He wants to be guaranteed a big raise and key player status before considering extending his contract.  Though he's worth it, ofbviously that's out of the question, so we'll have to hope to hang onto him when his deal runs out. 
DM Pedro Garcia(27, 925/w., 179 cm) -- That's a lot of money;  nobody on the team makes more and the board says we can't afford anyone making half this much(they aren't wrong).  Garcia is a star here though(7.03 rat., 1 goal, 3 assists).  Literally his only technical skill that isn't decent is corners, and there are no major weaknesses anywhere else in his game.  Pedro is also notably super-aggressive.  He won't discuss an extension at all, happy with his current deal.  I would be too.  He can play DR in a pinch as well. 

We've got enough players here that I'm considering going with five at the back.  Cotilla and Garcia really help the defense, and overall it's much better than the keeper situation, but most of these guys still aren't quite good enough.  Throwing another body in might be the thing to do, esp. with the lack of options further up the pitch ...

Midfield

MC/DM Oscar Sielva(26, 925/w, 177 cm) -- Another guy making way too much.  Creativity, determination, work rate, vision -- he's good at a lot of important things.  First touch and passing are quality, but overall it's the mental part of his game that sets Sielva apart.  In his own way he's as good as Garcia, and the two of them really give us strength up the middle.  Oscar can also play AMC a bit if called for.  Likewise, he's not ready to discuss any changes to his deal. 
DM/MC Yago(29, 240/w, 178 cm) -- Yago's been around for three years now, yet isn't registered for league play and has been transfer listed.  He doesn't have Second Divison B quality, but it'd still be better to have him in there than nobody.  Good first touch, adequate accuracy from distance, decent positioning and decision-making, moves pretty well, but just subpar in a lot of the important skills. Can't dribble to save his life and is basically the opposite of determined, to note a couple.  He's also never really fit in with the team here.  I concur with the choice previously made, and leave him on the transfer list. 
MC/AMC Antonio Jesus Cabellero(23, 400/w, 175 cm) -- Not ready yet, but Caballero has Second Divison B potential.  Problem is that he makes too much right now for what he gives us.  Smart, good vision, work rate, and acceleration along with decent speed.  Technique is as good as anyone we have.  Just needs to fill in some weak areas in his game, positioning and dribbling being a couple.  His 6.31 rating so far in 10 appearances(2 assists) is not inspiring.  He won't discuss a new deal, which is unfortunate.  I'd like to keep Antonio, but if his price doesn't go down I won't be able to.
MC/AMC Deivid(24, 525/w, 187 cm) -- This deal is just highway robbery, and not in our favor.  Deivid is an ok passer, has good vision, and can jump and run well.  He doesn't have a whole lot else that stands out yet though, and a 6.42 rat in 8 appearances, with a pair of assists backs that up.  Still improving and he can play at this level someday.  Good enough to be our second-best MC behind Sielva still.  Also won't consider a new contract. 
AMC/AML Claudio Garcia(20, 575/w, 170 cm) -- AMR and MC are also positions he can play, though not as well.  Garcia is one of just three foreigners and the lone Peruvian on the team.  He's a star in the making, already very good at passing, crossing, dribbling, corners, first touch  ... he's really a skilled attacking player despite his youth.  Fairly smart, quite creative, reasonably fast though not there yet physically in a lot of ways.  The chances of him being willing to take a pay cut in the future are not good, but without it I don't know if we'll be able to hang on to him.  Seems only a matter of time until a professional side comes in for him. 
Overall there just isn't much here, and no quality on the wings aside from Garcia on the left.  There pretty much is no choice but to play narrow and accept weakness on the perimeter, at least for the moment. 

Attackers

AMC/AMR/ST Juanma(27, 400/w, 179 cm) -- Just plain not good enough in most aspects, he's inconsistent and not considered to be close to the quality needed. I'm really hoping somebody grabs him during the next transfer window;  he's listed and going to remain that way.  7 appearances in relief this year, 6.30 rating and missed half his tackles, almost that many passes.  This is just a level too high for him -- he's got enough smarts, creativity, technique, and speed to be quite successful in the 4th tier. 
AMR/ST David Alvarez(24, 325/w, 178 cm) -- I like him as depth guy.  Not a great finisher but better than most of the team.  Strong, but doesn't move particularly well.  Composure, positioning, teamwork are all solid though not spectacular.  He's third out of our three decent options up front.  And he wants a raise, which he's not going to get.  Was willing to discuss the matter though, and I was able to haggle him down to 275/wk.  That seems reasonable given that he is still improving, and could become a marginal Second Division B guy. 
ALM/AMR/ST Borja Galan(24, 325/w, 183 cm) -- Galan is our third and final loan player, coming to us from Coruna again.  He's a versatile attacking option, decent athleticism, moves well off the ball, but is more a setup guy right now as his finishing needs work.  Doesn't fit in particularly well here, and is near his potential but a quality player at this level and we don't have that many of those.  Good price.  When his loan period is up I may see about getting a permanent transfer for him;  he's never going to be a Coruna quality player. 
ST Pablo Carnero(29, 925/w, 190 cm) -- Carnero is currently tied for the lead in the B1 section with 9 goals on the year;  Galan is second with three and almost half our tallies (20 total) have come from Carnero.  He's smart, brave, good at the set pieces, and definitely our top man with the headers in the box.  Works pretty well and understands the team concept -- Pablo is a top performer in his prime, with a 7.05 rating so far.  Also does well in the big moments.  He wants a big pay raise before considering a new deal, and is waffling on the idea of sticking around.  Hoping against hope here, but this is probably his last year with CR Bouzas no matter what.  I'm thinking a competitor with more money is likely to take him away. 

Tactics

GDKFMnQ.png

I set up two initially.  This 4-3-3 gives us by far the best coverage and gets our best players out there.  We also have a 5-3-2 which puts Galan as a second striker, with Claudio Garcia coming off in favor of a third central defender, Colo.  Those two guys will swing depending on what we need to do.  The more aggressive 4-3-3 gives us our best chance I think -- though the team has played with a similar formation recently with bad results.  We've got to use the strengths of the team and those are mostly in attack. 

Team Meeting

I decided it was time to say hello.   Squad support was rated 'abysmal' -- it appears most of them don't think I'm up for the task.  Can't blame them, I'm probably not.  Captain Sergio Cotilla responded positively, notint that my 'reputation is sure to increase if you meet expectations.  I look forward to playing under your leadership'.  I tell them that I'm confident we can avoid automatic relegation, and honestly that's true -- we have a fully healthy squad with morale still good despite our position.  The squad responded well and felt that was the right and reasonable expectation.  Everybody is feeling at least slightly on the positive side about things. 

Scouting

We haven't enough money for even the most basic scouting package, and need to save cash wherever possible anyway.  I reduce our spending there to the minimum, which will save 3.2k a week.  They have two recommended players;  one is from the Ukraine, which we can't afford to keep visiting.  The other is a 37-year-old midfielder from the Third Division, the tier below us.  He makes a killing by our standards(1.5k/wk) so at best we might think about giving him a reduced contract next year -- if he's worth it at that point.  Not likely.  Bragado is instructed to look for any and all players in Spain who might be good transfer targets for us.  In less than a month we'll have to decide who to pursue, if anyone. 

Coaching

wbYyDgD.png

Initially Alvarez was focusing only on aerobic matters.  He adds strength to his workload and I put myself in a couple areas.  At minimal effectiveness, but ... pretty much everyone was complaining about the poor fitness training.  This will be a little better, though it will still suck.

And that's that!  Onward we go. 

Archived