[FM18] Dulwich Hamlet - Against Modern Football

Bedese

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"For Dulwich Hamlet fans, supporting their team is a philosophical pursuit. It's about fighting fascism and homophobia while eating bratwurst and knocking back the craft beer."

You might have heard of Dulwich Hamlet, but the chances are you haven't. The club currently ply their trade in the seventh tier of English football, but they're definitely not your typical non-league club.

"Normal football this isn't. Each match only costs £10 to attend, attracting a diverse crowd disillusioned with Premier League extortions and regulations."

"We're a club with a real social conscience that does right for the community."

Dulwich Hamlet FC have combined football with community activism, which has led to them being labelled 'London's most hipster football club.' That might be true, but it's not an entirely accurate generalisation. This isn't about being a hipster, but rather supporting your local football team and using that platform to make a difference in the community. Dulwich Hamlet combine politics and football (they're heavily anti-homophobia, anti-racism and pro-immigration), and are a club that do things the 'right way' in the face of the extortionate sums in modern football.

Earlier this month, Dulwich Hamlet expressed their displeasure at the Isthmian League being sponsored by a gambling company, and announced that any money they made from the association would be given to an anti-gambling charity.

To be a Dulwich Hamlet fan in 2017 is to be a part of something bigger than football - and I want in.

Only, we're going to make this a bit harder. Transfer fees are getting a bit out of hand in football these days, so we're not going to be doing that buying players lark. Instead, we're going Youth Only. Why splash millions on a foreign superstar when you can invest in the local community?

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/aug/23/dulwich-hamlet-londons-most-hipster-football-club

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/young-craft-beerloving-and-politically-correct-meet-londons-new-breed-of-football-fan-a3378206.html

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/9bz7d3/dulwich-hamlet-non-league-football-109

Image result for dulwich hamlet fc 

image.jpeg

I sense a great disturbance in the force... :D

Good luck man! Looks like you've got a very interesting club on your hands, and of course in typical Jupjamie youth-only torture fashion ;).

Squad:

07fa42110f5cabf6f6d0c44e81631b05.png
1c64581fa01b7ea6fe89e959df380d2f.png

This is everyone we have to work with. 19 proper players, and only about 15 who should ever be stepping foot onto a football pitch. We don't have a single decent CM, and the depth is non-existent. Good thing we can't sign any players to bolster the squad!

Here's the best player at the club:

028d61165bcb62b9cfca2efc5424f4a2.png

The board want us to finish in the top half, but with the absolutely tiny squad we have at our disposal, I just can't see that happening considering the amount of games you play at this level. I think it'd actually be a decent feat to stay clear of a relegation battle, but that would probably see me out of a job quickly... we'll see.

925eff0d8c623fdfed94f4f94a8fa53e.png

We were awful to start the season. Genuinely horrendous, but things just seemed to click at 3-0 down in the Hemel Hempstead game. We scored two late goals, and even though we ultimately lost that game has kickstarted our season, as we're unbeaten in our last six. Considering I thought we'd end up in a relegation battle, no complaints at all, although once the fatigue, injuries and suspensions kick in, we'll start to drop off a long way.

Fourth fine from the FA!

2ff5f3592340ba0e7d71833b72b072e7.png

We probably could have done with a cup run to boost our finances for all these fines, to be honest :lol: 

This one came in a game where we finished with 9 men after having both CBs sent off. Still unbeaten, although that might change now that we've got a couple of injuries and neither starting CB available. We're down to about 12 outfielders that actually belong anywhere near a football pitch, but I'm loving it :D 

060ec3926f75f58a9e035e9872924bc3.png

This season hasn't gone how I expected at all. Not that I'm complaining... :D

12417099bcdd47cdba9ed5b3e4e63c6f.png

4bcf6691e531adddc1bb822ecd2ac68d.png

It's mental. We lost 3 straight to start the year, we were playing terribly and were rock bottom of the table, but we haven't lost a game since. Viva La Revolucion!

I just started a game as Dulwich Hamlet as well. How is Dumebi Dumaka doing for you? I saw him and immediately gave him a pro-contract as I think others will start sniffing around him. Him, Mfula, Bricknell and Faal are looking like my strikers.

Tried this exact challenge last year in the youth academy challenge. Done 27 seasons and were a solid midtable championship club when my hard drive crashed and I lost everything (I was so cut up that I didn't even load FM for 2 months after) and am going to try it again this year. As a result I've even been to a few Dulwich games.

Good start and best of luck.

@Jupjamie I really enjoyed your sammarinese adventures. As a lover of english football I will follow you with particular interest and the start of the season hasn't been a disappointment. Good luck with your career.

Good luck to @darren1983, too. I'll keep an eye on your youth challenge attempt following the good results of last season.

12 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Awesomeness :cool: I had a career save with DH back in FM15 and I enjoyed it a lot, hope it can do the same for you.

10 hours ago, smp20 said:

Superb start, will be great to see Dulwich climb up the leagues. Fingers crossed for a few good prospects through the academy early on!

9 hours ago, Peter G said:

I just started a game as Dulwich Hamlet as well. How is Dumebi Dumaka doing for you? I saw him and immediately gave him a pro-contract as I think others will start sniffing around him. Him, Mfula, Bricknell and Faal are looking like my strikers.

5 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Tried this exact challenge last year in the youth academy challenge. Done 27 seasons and were a solid midtable championship club when my hard drive crashed and I lost everything (I was so cut up that I didn't even load FM for 2 months after) and am going to try it again this year. As a result I've even been to a few Dulwich games.

Good start and best of luck.

4 hours ago, Ivs said:

@Jupjamie I really enjoyed your sammarinese adventures. As a lover of english football I will follow you with particular interest and the start of the season hasn't been a disappointment. Good luck with your career.

Good luck to @darren1983, too. I'll keep an eye on your youth challenge attempt following the good results of last season.

Cheers guys! Glad to see all the love for Dulwich :) 

@darren1983 that's absolutely brutal. Love to see how you get on this year!

@Peter G Disappointingly, actually. He was intended to be my main striker at the beginning of the season but he didn't produce, and he's basically being used as a CM now because of our lack of depth there. Definitely down the pecking order upfront. He's got 5 goals in 13(2) games, but 3 of them were penalties and the other two game as a brace in one game. 

Here's the real star of our team:

9b85cf2ededc3be1abac3118528ee7a3.png

Boakye-Yiadom only got into the starting 11 because of injuries to our other strikers, but he's been phenomenal as a poacher. 15 goals in 18 league starts, and it's probably not a co-incidence that our first loss in 17 coincides with him missing time through an injury.

2bb8f6dd406c2f38c07e58a31af84169.png

2 hours ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

Turned round a bad start very well.

Cheers Nobby! Unfortunately we've been slumping a little lately:

35ec01cc977497bded11b2002b09f103.png

Out of the F.A. Trophy, but Blyth are 3rd in the Conference National right now, so we can't be too disappointed. We did win two prior games. at least, beating Chelmsford 2-0 in the Qualifying Round before dispatching of lower league Moneyfields 3-0. It's our league form that's been a worry, though:

39096bb94189da838412be183242afc4.png

Two goals in seven games. I was singing Boakye-Yiadom's praises, but it's now 16 hours since he's scored a goal. Worrying form.

4790878461055cd80d7205d19d4a2af9.png

Youth Intake Day!

It's time for our first intake of the career. We just need depth everywhere, really...

36442024ba2ff0598c885884327bcc2c.png

Golden generation? Hello...

294dc7d43a0f72198ef82d495db5465e.png

ed14550bea40438e02bbead7ef0392de.png

He looks absolutely quality. I'm very tempted to chuck him in the first team straight away. I think his career is going to be bigger than Dulwich Hamlet, unfortunately.

3bb24cd5b8c29cbda7881a833a59145f.png

We were desperate for CMs, so I'm very glad to get Grimshaw in. I wonder how much he can develop - and grow!

8caacb56efa3ad16d061908a22ace596.png

160ecd1a40c03ebfd7abdce58e2120f1.png

Two more talented CMs, which will help our depth no end. Delighted with this intake :D 

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 02:00, Jupjamie said:

Youth Intake Day!

It's time for our first intake of the career. We just need depth everywhere, really...

36442024ba2ff0598c885884327bcc2c.png

Golden generation? Hello...

294dc7d43a0f72198ef82d495db5465e.png

ed14550bea40438e02bbead7ef0392de.png

He looks absolutely quality. I'm very tempted to chuck him in the first team straight away. I think his career is going to be bigger than Dulwich Hamlet, unfortunately.

3bb24cd5b8c29cbda7881a833a59145f.png

We were desperate for CMs, so I'm very glad to get Grimshaw in. I wonder how much he can develop - and grow!

Golden generation? Love it. :applause:

Ass I see are 2x 5.0 PA players, a Barbadian, an enormous centre-half and I'm betting that Makengo and Badiashile have 2nd Nationalities.

Nice. :cool:

Great team. Great cause

Very shocked you are able to play that well with a team that seem to be lacking. Well done and hope you will continue to push forward. A conflict I usually feel when playing like this is that you probably do not have the players to make it in a higher division, but in order to take youth recruitment to the next level, you probably need to advance to National level.

15 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Golden generation? Love it. :applause:

Ass I see are 2x 5.0 PA players, a Barbadian, an enormous centre-half and I'm betting that Makengo and Badiashile have 2nd Nationalities.

Nice. :cool:

Correct! They're both eligible for the Congo. Very happy with the intake :D 

13 hours ago, KillercowDivine said:

Great team. Great cause

Very shocked you are able to play that well with a team that seem to be lacking. Well done and hope you will continue to push forward. A conflict I usually feel when playing like this is that you probably do not have the players to make it in a higher division, but in order to take youth recruitment to the next level, you probably need to advance to National level.

Cheers!

I'm a bit surprised, as well. I didn't see much in the squad, we had an awful preseason, and we lost our first three games. I didn't think I'd make it till Christmas, but we turned it around. We're not playing great right now, but we're still up and around the playoffs (update coming very soon). Very true with regards to the conflict. I think we'd get battered in the Conference, but it's hard to turn down the chance at promotion...

13 hours ago, deltablue said:

Not quite a full generation yet, but still a good start. 

Indeed :D 

There's 10 games left to go, and here's how things are looking:

42676ffb83da50a8473552fc0a71956b.png

I'm not going to be too disappointed if we don't make the playoffs - even if we do, it's a six team playoff, so our chances probably wouldn't be that high. I still think we're a lower midtable side playing well above expectations, which our recent form (which hasn't been great) would indicate. 

I know that people have been having problems with corners on this year's game. The corner tactic I've set up has seen us score 7 from corners this season (most in the league) and concede just two. The attacking one won't work for everyone as it's built to play to my team's strengths, but essentially if you can get your tall players in and around the near post you'll be in good nick. Here they are, if it might help anyone:

a3ee3fea218c53e06f0308d4ddcae03e.png

d1826344fd4b0ae3dd91636ef3cf370f.png

The corner taker is instructed to put the balls into the six yard box.

Anyway, back with the season. Ten games to go. We've been poor, lately, so I'm very tempted to get young Danny Moore in the team right away and see if he can fire us to a few more wins...

First game since the Intake, and we're against 9th placed Chelmsford. Couple of new faces on the teamsheet...

25b20ecbc4f9473a167dc6fa3cb016d8.jpg

Nana Boakye-Yiadom goes out wide, paving the way for Danny Moore to make his first appearance for the club having just turned 16 two weeks ago. 15 year old Jim Grimshaw earns a spot on the bench.

Archived