FM Touch 2018 Official Feedback Thread

• Administrators

Hi, 

As we've now released FM Touch on Steam for the Pre-Release Beta, we'd very much like your feedback here in this thread. 

What are your thoughts on:

• Scouting
  • Medical Centre
  • Difficulty 
  • Immersion
  • The Match Experience

And any general thoughts and feedback you might have.

Please remember to raise any bugs in the bugs forum for FM Touch!

Thanks.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the other topic, medical centre is a nice bit of information, nothing intrusive. Looks like a great addition.

Scouting seems more detailed, and yet without it being too complex like in full FM. 

What do you mean by difficulty? Have some changes been made in that regard compared to FMT 17?

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, shirajzl said:

What do you mean by difficulty? Have some changes been made in that regard compared to FMT 17?

No, its the same as FM. :) 

But we're always curious to know whether people find the game difficult to play whether that is to do with findings things, or just generally playing etc. It helps us to inform how we might improve things, whether that is better feedback in game, or find particular issues based on your feedback.

I miss the old 2D view. The new 2d classic is very poor and not clear in my opinion. 

This was the one I used most especially on touch as it used least battery on the iPad and on my Mac it’s the one view that didn’t send my laptop fans into overdrive. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, mdshep said:

I miss the old 2D view. The new 2d classic is very poor and not clear in my opinion. 

This was the one I used most especially on touch as it used least battery on the iPad and on my Mac it’s the one view that didn’t send my laptop fans into overdrive. 

Sorry to hear that @mdshep - could you please report your Mac technical issues In the Mac Technical Issues forum here: 

https://community.sigames.com/forum/577-crashes-technical-issues-mac-and-linux/

First glance:

Scouting:

• Doesn't seem that much of a difference. Especially without scouting packages, which i would like in FMT as well.
  • Not sure yet if i miss the easy filter options, as it seems to involve more clicks now for certain option as opposed to just turn it off/on as before.
  • The option to scout per continent is new, so that is good.
  • I assume as the knowledge in FMT is 100% right away the new scout recommendation number is not changing?

Medical Centre

• What is supposed to be there exactly? I see an overview and no interaction.

Immersion

• Still missing statistics that are in the full version, which is a huge factor for immersion and wouldn't stand in the way off what makes FMT what it is supposed to be.
  • More accurate league rules, foreign player rules and advanced setup (load players from certain nations, national players - which can only partial be solved with a ddt file)

Of course i will mention that it would be awesome to to have an editor and play with custom db and small nations.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Linie said:

it would be awesome to to have an editor

It didn't take long :)

Not sure yet if i miss the easy filter options, as it seems to involve more clicks now for certain option as opposed to just turn it off/on as before.

Can you clarify what you mean here?

• I assume as the knowledge in FMT is 100% right away the new scout recommendation number is not changing?

Not exactly -- if you were to scout again when your squad had changed it would lower or increase depending on his ability compared to your team.

3 minutes ago, Linie said:

What is supposed to be there exactly? I see an overview and no interaction.

It's an overview of your at risk players and injured players -- effectively feedback so you can be pro-active in injury prevention by making sure you rest players and not overplay them.

2 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Can you clarify what you mean here?

Before you could add all the filter options that are relevant to you and just tick or untick them. Now some of these as EU-player, Out of contract is in a quick setting but not all.

For the rest, like how you described the medical centre and match experience more play time is needed. :-)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, vasilli07 said:

Is the 2D pitch colour suppose to be bright lime green?

I'd suggest posting in match issues forum it might be something to do with match lighting.

2 hours ago, Linie said:

Haha, well, i found it important to tell the world that it is still on my mind. :onmehead:

It's what I want to hear :thup:

Spent a few hours playing last night, just a few opinions.

1. The new 2d isn’t good, I miss the old view which was far superior.

2. The 2 line approach on player search feels unnecessary. Not sure you need to see the visual representation of positions.

3. Scouting is a bit confusing, why doesn’t the filter box go full width anymore?

4. Not a fan of the rounded buttons or “whooshing” animation. Highly subjective I know but I work in UX and have never liked it.

Lots to like too but the 2d is my biggest disappointment, really spoils my matchday.

Impressions after 1h.

SLOW. It's really slow comparing to FM 17 Touch. Even after clicking some buttons it takes 2-3 seconds before game reacts. That's surprising as my PC is quite fast.

New engine looks bit odd, but in time maybe it will work for me.

I don't like changes in scouting menu; I think in previous FM's it looks better and it was easier to find things in there.

Overall I am not very impressed; FM 17 Touch offers less changes, but I was more happy that I am now.

I would be curious to know about the changes that you encountered, if anyone would be so kind to share.

I personally have been starting the full FM to check out the new features added and have limited time, so I wouldn't be able to also check out FMT at the same time.

From all the things that are new in full FM, what made it into FMT?

Thank you.

Aside from ME and tactics changes (including layout), the only truly new thing is medical centre, which is basically just an info screen of injury risk, without interaction (WHICH IS A GOOD THING). The way you can adjust camera height and zoom in 3D is very useful because you can perfectly customize your view of the pitch.

I'm delighted that stuff like squad dynamics isn't included, as well as the fact detailed squad registration rules (homegrowns etc.) haven't found their way into FMT. Those were my biggest concerns.

Unfortunately, tutoring still seems to be automatic.

Aside from all that, the game is really slow, buttons unresponsive for seconds at times. I'm willing to attribute it to the beta status at the moment. Hopefully it gets fixed.

A question to @Lucas Weatherby On the OI screen, there is "switch to positions" button missing. Is it deliberate or a bug? It was really useful when we wanted to set OI for a certain position, regardless of which player plays there during the match. This way it seems we can only set OI to specific players, not positions, and that we would have to redo them again if AI managers swaps players around and/or sub them. 

Edited by shirajzl

Hi @Lucas Weatherby

After having played the Beta yesterday, a mix of a question and a view on the new FM18 occurred, which I have been puzzling about through recent years of FM.

It´s regarding the Match Engine; I loved the ME on FM17; player decisions, running patterns etc. had improved ALOT from earlier versions.

There´s still signs of the same good ´tactical integration´ on FM18 - But played a friendly at home with Newcastle vs. a really low-ranked team a few times over, and there seems to be VERY few key highlights in the game (Compared to FM17; Tried the same - Newcastle vs. a really low-ranked team, and lots of key highlights (not to say goals the least!)

Some player decisions also seem very odd on the new, which ultimately leads me to my question:

- When you (SI) go from fx FM17 to making FM18, do you take the (very good) ME with you from the previous version, and implement it in the new version ("Build upon that") ?

I´ve just always wondered, if you (which I suppose you do) take the ME from the previous year and implement to the new game - And not stripping the ´blue print´ from (which in the case of FM17) the previous ME, and make a big revamp out of it.

Coz; You actually neared perfection on FM17-Match Engine (IMO) :0)

Thanks beforehand for answer,

Toonrock

Edited by Toonrock

7 minutes ago, Toonrock said:

There´s still signs of the same good ´tactical integration´ on FM18 - But played a friendly at home with Newcastle vs. a really low-ranked team a few times over, and there seems to be VERY few key highlights in the game (Compared to FM17; Tried the same - Newcastle vs. a really low-ranked team, and lots of key highlights (not to say goals the least!)

Key highlights are only goals and clear cut chances (as registered in the game). Either you didn't create many CCCs in those games or they have changed how highlights work completely.

1 hour ago, Keyzer Soze said:

So, can anyone confirm:

- No change in control tutoring

- No change in the number of nations/leagues (still 3 nations)

Both confirmed (I'm assuming you're playing on a tablet since I play on PC where there's no 3 nation limit).

9 minutes ago, shirajzl said:

Both confirmed (I'm assuming you're playing on a tablet since I play on PC where there's no 3 nation limit).

Thks!

Yeah, you right, i play on a tablet.

It's a shame, another year goes by, and another year without any new FMT features. :(

9 minutes ago, shirajzl said:

Sorry for my english ...

I really don't know why SI keep this limitation at 3 nations on tablet version. I asked the question here, on twitter, no answer.

We have now tablets as powerful as some laptops, why they don't apply the same logic as on laptop => we can adapt the size of the database depending on the specificities of our tablet.

Someone who plays FMT18 on an ipad pro 2017 with equivalent performances to mac book pro ... Why SI decides to limit this person playing with 3 nations only ???

If someone has an answer ...

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, steste said:

I really don't know why SI keep this limitation at 3 nations on tablet version. I asked the question here, on twitter, no answer.

Because not at all Tablets can cope with more than that, and we must be able to guarantee the user can finish the game (30 seasons)

5 minutes ago, steste said:

We have now tablets as powerful as some laptops, why they don't apply the same logic as on laptop => we can adapt the size of the database depending on the specificities of our tablet.

Different OSes work differently - on a desktop you can do what you like with apps and games, you're not as confined to working within technical confines that are imposed by tablet hardware and tablet OSes. 

6 minutes ago, steste said:

Someone who plays FMT18 on an ipad pro 2017 with equivalent performances to mac book pro ... Why SI decides to limit this person playing with 3 nations only ???

If someone has an answer ...

So the decision is there is to ensure the game actually works on Tablet for 30 seasons. You can turn this setting off for just a PC game.Thanks.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, vasilli07 said:

Does the game seems sluggish/slow to you guys? When you click, it takes a few seconds to react.

Please post a bug thread if you haven't already -- I'll take a look later today and get back to you what info I need. Thanks.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Toonrock said:

- When you (SI) go from fx FM17 to making FM18, do you take the (very good) ME with you from the previous version, and implement it in the new version ("Build upon that") ?

I´ve just always wondered, if you (which I suppose you do) take the ME from the previous year and implement to the new game - And not stripping the ´blue print´ from (which in the case of FM17) the previous ME, and make a big revamp out of it.

The match engines are built upon, yeah. You're talking millions of lines of computer code work so its always an iterative process!

• Administrators
2 hours ago, shirajzl said:

A question to @Lucas Weatherby On the OI screen, there is "switch to positions" button missing. Is it deliberate or a bug? It was really useful when we wanted to set OI for a certain position, regardless of which player plays there during the match. This way it seems we can only set OI to specific players, not positions, and that we would have to redo them again if AI managers swaps players around and/or sub them. 

Can you post a screenshot in the bug forum, smells like a bug to me which could be an oversight when designing the panels.

• Administrators

Please keep the questions and feedback coming I will read everyone and try my best to get back to you. 

8 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Because not at all Tablets can cope with more than that, and we must be able to guarantee the user can finish the game (30 seasons)

I know this is a feedback thread for the Beta, but just to had a few more arguments...

Why make the limitation in terms of nations and not in terms of leagues?

Example:

If i choose 3 nations (england, spain and italy) i will have, if i'm not mistaken, 10 leagues loaded in the game (4 leagues in england, 3 leagues in both spain and italy).

This is fine, for someone that want to manage in lower leagues, but, for example if i want to manage only top clubs? If the limitation were in terms of leagues, i could rearrange those 10 leagues for, 4 nations, or 6 nations... or even 10 nations.

In the end, the amount of leagues would be the same, probably the memory used by the game would be the same (or at least very similar), but i would be able to manage in much more nations, and with that have a different kind of save.

This change, is something that every year is mention in the request thread... but every year is ignored.

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Why make the limitation in terms of nations and not in terms of leagues?

Example:

If i choose 3 nations (england, spain and italy) i will have, if i'm not mistaken, 10 leagues loaded in the game (4 leagues in england, 3 leagues in both spain and italy).

This is fine, for someone that want to manage in lower leagues, but, for example if i want to manage only top clubs? If the limitation were in terms of leagues, i could rearrange those 10 leagues for, 4 nations, or 6 nations... or even 10 nations.

In the end, the amount of leagues would be the same, probably the memory used by the game would be the same (or at least very similar), but i would be able to manage in much more nations, and with that have a different kind of save.

This change, is something that every year is mention in the request thread... but every year is ignored.

I answer it every year, And I'll answer again. :)

We continually review and look at the possibility of expanding it. But it's not so simple unfortunately and we have to go with what works first and then what is the simplest solution for the user, according to what works.

Rearranging league limits is not that simple, because of the number of teams and players that are then loaded in regardless - which adds to the memory needed to run the game, making it run out of memory when you have a case of say, 10 top divisions from 10 nations. It's been tried and tested already and this is why the 3 nation limit is used instead. 

We know its something people mention every year but until the hardware and specifications get to a point where we can increase this, it can't happen.

52 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Different OSes work differently - on a desktop you can do what you like with apps and games, you're not as confined to working within technical confines that are imposed by tablet hardware and tablet OSes. 

So the decision is there is to ensure the game actually works on Tablet for 30 seasons. You can turn this setting off for just a PC game.Thanks.

Thanks for the answer Lucas.

5 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

We continually review and look at the possibility of expanding it. But it's not so simple unfortunately and we have to go with what works first and then what is the simplest solution for the user, according to what works.

Rearranging league limits is not that simple, because of the number of teams and players that are then loaded in regardless - which adds to the memory needed to run the game, making it run out of memory when you have a case of say, 10 top divisions from 10 nations. It's been tried and tested already and this is why the 3 nation limit is used instead. 

We know its something people mention every year but until the hardware and specifications get to a point where we can increase this, it can't happen.

I have the solution ! :)

FM Mobile for phones and cheaper tablets.

FMT for high end tablets (Galaxy Tab S3, iPad Pro ...) with no limitation !

Easy, no? :D

5 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

I have the solution ! :)

FM Mobile for phones and cheaper tablets.

FMT for high end tablets (Galaxy Tab S3, iPad Pro ...) with no limitation !

Easy, no? :D

Just now, Lucas Weatherby said:

Even higher end tablets have their limitations unfortunately. 

I'm not an expert, so I won't discuss about that.

However, since I'm looking for a new machine, I read some tests.

iPad pro 2017 has equivalent or better results in some cases as Core i5 / i7 from Mac Book Pro. Equivalent storage capacities.

So if a developper wants to invest on this plateform, I think that it could.

However, I can understand that you prefer to invest on other plateforms, and regarding tablets, touch a maximum of users.

I can only see every attribute of a staff member if I compare him to another. Attributes like Physiotherapy and Judging CA/PA aren't visible in the regular screen, even in Full Screen Mode. Will the release version fix this?

2 hours ago, RTHerringbone said:

@Toonrock They don't rebuild the ME each year, they build upon the prior game's ME. You should find that the FM18 ME is far superior to FM17 to be honest. Better defending and more dynamic final third attacking.

Ok, good to hear, really liked 17-ME! - Makes sense that they build upon it:)

Edited by Toonrock

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, steste said:

However, since I'm looking for a new machine, I read some tests.

iPad pro 2017 has equivalent or better results in some cases as Core i5 / i7 from Mac Book Pro. Equivalent storage capacities.

So if a developper wants to invest on this plateform, I think that it could.

However, I can understand that you prefer to invest on other plateforms, and regarding tablets, touch a maximum of users.

The tests are a load of old hat really, I've never been convinced by these "benchmarks" because the devices are so different. 

Put to very specific tests, yes the iPad Pro can perform extremely well, but the environments the devices work within are totally separate and doing different things behind the scenes while they are running. 

The OSes again, can have particular limitations in what you are allowed to do on Tablet - which is not generally the case on a desktop.

When you drill down there are a number of devices we support, it just isn't possible to provide different versions for specific kinds of devices because (for example) the higher end iPad Pro is better than the Air 2.

1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

The tests are a load of old hat really, I've never been convinced by these "benchmarks" because the devices are so different. 

Put to very specific tests, yes the iPad Pro can perform extremely well, but the environments the devices work within are totally separate and doing different things behind the scenes while they are running. 

The OSes again, can have particular limitations in what you are allowed to do on Tablet - which is not generally the case on a desktop.

When you drill down there are a number of devices we support, it just isn't possible to prevent different versions for specific kinds of devices because the higher end iPad Pro is better than the Air 2.

I understand Lucas, thank you for taking the time to answer me.

• Administrators
Just now, steste said:

I understand Lucas, thank you for taking the time to answer me.

No problem. The tests we are most interested in are the ones conducted in our test labs which help us shape the development of the game going forward. Thank you for taking the time to raise the question - I know people raise it a lot about the power of such devices and certain studies they have read. The only ones we can really rely on are the tests that we do ourselves and we know what work.

1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

No problem. The tests we are most interested in are the ones conducted in our test labs which help us shape the development of the game going forward. Thank you for taking the time to raise the question - I know people raise it a lot about the power of such devices and certain studies they have read. The only ones we can really rely on are the tests that we do ourselves and we know what work.

It makes sense ;)

16 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

On the subject, still no new regarding the supported tablets and Ipad's for FMT18?

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

On the subject, still no new regarding the supported tablets and Ipad's for FMT18?

I would expect that on release for sure, maybe sooner if possible but as the game is still in beta there's more tests before we can definitely say what these will be.