Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

dafuge's FM18 challenge

50 minutes ago, XaW said:

I'v never experience so much emotion in a match....

okPwbn2.png

Summary? We were up 3-2 until the 84th minute when Harrogate scored to make it 3-3. Then Harrogate scored again in the 90th minute to take the lead. In the 92nd minute we equalized, and even took the lead in the 95th minute. The final goal was to Harrogate at the 97th minute to make it 5-5. I'm exhausted!

Now that's entertainment :)

Was hoping for Burgess Hill to come up but couldn't get them, so I have gone for Met. Police instead!

Edited by Dan BHTFC

Tonbridge Angels - Season 2018 - 2019 (1) - National League South

Board Expectation: Fight bravely against relegation

Media Prediction: 20th

Final Position: 11th

image.thumb.png.326fd006b14ce955939a4f0c52de8f84.png

Sitting top of the league in late October suggested that we were in for a far more successful season than it would turn out to be. Big drops in form during the middle and late parts of the season put paid to any ambition of promotion but a 3-1 win against top of the table Concord kept hope alive (inadvertently causing a four way tie for top!). With two must win games left against St. Albans and Wealdstone we fell at the first hurdle with a 5-0 loss and capped off the season with a 1-0 defeat.

FA Cup: Exceeded expectations by reaching the Fourth Qualifying Round with victories over Sevenoaks and Shortwood but National League promotion contenders Leyton Orient made short work of us. Man United win a record equaling 13th title and domestic treble with a 3-0 drubbing of Liverpool at Wembley.

FA Trophy: Knocked out 2-3 in the Third Qualifying Round by bottom of the table Braintree during one of our downturns in form.

Player of the Season: Chris Kinnear, resolute at the heart of our midfield with an avg. of 7.33, 5 goals and 11 asssists.

Season - Year - Division - Position - Notes
1 - 2018/19 - National League South - 11th - Two Manager of the Month awards, 3rd in Manager of the Year voting.

-

Around the World

England - Defending Premier League champions West Ham recover from an early season slump but fail to qualify for Europe. Man United saunter to a league title and defeat Liverpool and Arsenal in the FA Cup and League Cup respectively to secure a domestic treble.

Europe - Three London teams are represented in the Champions League Semi Final, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham. The shock Premier League champions defeat Leverkusen and the Gunners overcome Chelsea to set up a London derby final, where Arsenal secure their first European Cup just a year after winning the Europa League.

International - Spain defeat Columbia to win the World Cup, England fail to qualify from a group with the two eventual finalists after finishing third and barely survive relegation from Nations League Division A after another humiliating defeat to Iceland. Rafa Benitez now leads the Three Lions.

-

Next Season

A handy boost to the wage coffers will help with attracting a higher caliber of player but we need to start making the move upwards. Hopefully a playoff place at minimum will be possible.

Britain's departure from the EU will mean a foreign player limit, which certainly won't impact us dramatically until further down the line as most of our players are domestic. Irish players are exempt from the new rules.

Edited by HighFlyingDwarf

It's taken 28 games but we're finally off the bottom of the table.

TsiIxNW.png

Defence is much more stable after change of tactics and we're scoring a lot.  Still leaky, but since we score more than our rivals I'm optimistic of our chances.

c531e1ea7b1e60e8425c668a189f3ab5.png

Everything starting to click...

Picked up manager of the month for December and MK Dons are next up as we look at making the 4th Round of the FA Cup. Only 12th in the League though, although it's much better than the 20th we were Mid-November. 

txcd5lR.png

Matlock Town 2019/20

League Table - Went into the season fairly confident of improving on the previous season, after 9 games with 3 points on the board thanks to 3 draws, the confidence was gone. We improved throughout the season but probably didn't get the results we deserved. Ended up 15th, 2 places higher than last season but only managed 46 points compared to 51 previously. Still think we had a far better side this year.

The pick of the players were probably the ones i brought in on loan, 18 year old Josh Phillips looks like a good prospect and managed 12 league goals this season. Will try and keep the majority of the team for next season and just add a handful of players, try and hit the ground running in August.

Finances just keep sliding further into the red. Got players moaning about the state of it and cant seem to appease them with my response. 

Not making any predictions for the next season but confident I should be able to improve on the past couple of years.

Merthyr Town- 2022/23 - Vanarama National League South

Image result for merthyr town

League / Graph - Not the worst year we have had. We were in and around the mid table spots all year round. Towards the end of the year we had a bit of a fall off a cliff and this resulted in us dropping down the league table. We were so close to getting the record points of 53 this year but just couldn't make it. I am fairly still pleased still. 

Competitions - Nothing in the FA Trophy yet again, but we did manage to get to the last qualifying round. 

Transfers - A few more new players came into the squad, but once again we lost a lot, due to people not wanting to renew. 

Finance - Getting worse and worse

Stars

Robbie Patten - Another season from the icon. He did well again this year but played the least amount of games in a while. 

Lucas Odunston - Another good season from the striker not as good as last year but scored goals when we needed them. I was very pleased with him. 

Ben Hedley - Came on loan this year and did a job. One I dont think will be back next year

Next Year

Very similar to last seasons aims really hit that magic 53 points and I will be pleased, I am hoping most of the squad will stay as well. 

Story So Far

2018/19 - Vanarama National League South - 19th

2019/20 - Vanarama National League South - 13th

2020/21 - Vanarama National League South -  18th

2021/22 - Vanarama National League South - 18th

2022/23 - Vanarama National League South - 16th

Image result for hereford fc

Hereford FC - Vanarama North - 2019/20

Our second season is now complete and I was hoping to push top half and maybe sneak a playoff spot. We started off a little bit hit and miss nailing down a playoff place quite early in the season. We then hit a slump around the midway point in the season and I decided to change around tactics to play a narrow 433 as I had plenty of strikers and a couple wanted more game time. This change saw a massive upturn in form and we only lost twice in the league after switching tactics. Wrexham ran away with the league amassing 102 points and I just wanted to chase down Chester the other strong team in the league. We managed to finish 3rd and then go through the playoffs. We managed to beat Alfreton 2-0 in the semi final before facing Chester who beat us home and away in the league. We came up short again losing 2-1 with the winner coming in the 87th minute. 

League Table

Past Positions

Cups - Knocked out of the FA Cup by Chester our nemesis in the 3rd qual round. I rotated in the FA Trophy and we also saw an early exit.

Squad - I have a pretty large squad which I will aim to trim over the summer now I have a clearer idea who to play and who not to. Pretty happy with my starting XI and with a few additions we can push on nicely next season.

Finances - Lost money this season which is expected and now have a negative overall balance.

Transfers - Big turnaround of players as expected as lost some players last season Crystal Palace took one of my players which surprised me. Some solid buys. The squad largely want to stay for another season which is good. I will likely release Ogo Obi as he is my top earner and didn't perform that well and wants a staggering £2,300 per week now!

Key Player Profiles:

Jordan Hickey - Young midfielder who scored 9 and set up 14. Great season.

Daniel Bartlett - Brought in to replace Diaz. Good return in the midfield alongside Hickey.

Ben Mills - Released by Huddersfield and top scored with 23 and also got 14 assists.  

Next Season

Playoffs minimum. Hopefully promotion.

Career Overview

Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Vanarama South              9th               FA Cup 2nd round  
2019/20         Vanarama North		    3rd	 	      Lost in playoff final
Edited by Hypanimz

Little question for the more experienced of those in this challenge 

What’s the longest anyone has ever gone without promotion from bottom leagues? The way I am playing I can see that record being under threat 

2 minutes ago, Agent said:

What’s the longest anyone has ever gone without promotion from bottom leagues? The way I am playing I can see that record being under threat 

I'm pretty certain in FM15 or possibly FM14 Padders took 10 seasons to get out of the lowest league. 

2 minutes ago, Hypanimz said:

I'm pretty certain in FM15 or possibly FM14 Padders took 10 seasons to get out of the lowest league. 

Cheers mate, I reckon I can beat that we look years away from promotion 

XaW - Marine - 2020/21

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

After almost reaching playoff last season the board assumed I would get promoted through the playoffs, so no pressure I guess. I got in a couple of very good youngsters though, so I had a good feeling going into the season. I kept quite a lot of the players to keep the dynamics in my favor and it seemed to work. We played very well and were part of the playoffs throughout the season and ended on a very decent 4th place and got a shot for promotion. The first round was home against Blyth Spartans who have been my bogey team a while now. We beat them 2-1 with the deciding goal in the 84th minute to go to the semi final. Here we got a tough opponent in Darlington, a team we had just lost to in the penultimate match of the regular season. We went behind early, but after a "Hail Mary" late on we got two goals in the final minutes to get past them. In the final we faced Brackley Town, a club we have had good control over the last few matches we've faced them. It seemed to continue when we went ahead in the first half and kept the lead into the break. They came out looking for vengeance in the second half, but we did our best to hold them off. We failed once though and after 90 minutes it was even scores. In the 115th minute our 35 year old veteran striker got the ball on the edge of the box and hammered the ball into the far corner. Brackley threw everything they had at us, but we went into an ultra defensive time wasting galore. When the ref finally blew the whistle for the last time we had held on against a barrage of shots. We got our promotion and the board are delighted. Now I hope I can survive with the slightly bigger boys next season.

In the FA Cup we beat Stafford Rangers before losing to Altrincham in the 2nd qualifying round. In the FA Trophy we beat Ossett Town, Morecambe, Chester and Sutton Utd before losing to Barrow in the 4th round.

My best players this season have been Alex Pattison, top scorer Manesseh Koenraat and Fisayo Dele-Bashiru.

QrabFoc.png

First season over!

I'm not one for big write-ups....

Very happy with how the second half of the season played out and after starting so badly I am just happy to have survived.  Our season can be summed up with 2 pictures:

First half of the season

Second half of the season

The key change point of the season was changing from my original formation of 4-3-2-1 (Narrow) to 4-4-2.   I chose that formation initially because of the lack of wide players at the club, but it just didn't work.    Our squad is massive and I will likely be getting rid of 90% of the players.  Our best don't want to re-sign and the others aren't good enough.  As long as my 2 strikers sign new deals (Grayson: 18 goals, 10 assists, Baskerville: 19 Goals, 10 assists) I will be able to build the rest up, I'm not really bothered about the rest of the squad.  Tactically, we still need to improve our defence, but happy overall.

Final Table

Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Vanarama North              15th                

Aim for the new season is mid-table and not be involved in a relegation battle.

Hey guys this seems to have piqed my interest, i'm going thru set up right now so will add new team momentarily. I am going to do a no reload and take what I am given, although I do want Dulwich Hamlet.

4 hours ago, Agent said:

@Gilbster's Eastwood adventures in '09 come to mind for me. 

Utterly demolished by MK Dons, final score was 1-5 and we played atrciously. 

League Table Here, Next 5 fixtures will be big in hunting down a lot of teams. Games against 2nd, 3rd, 10th, 7th and the chance to put more space between myself and 12th. Hoping to win at least 3/5 but injuries are starting to hit the squad so it'll be a challenge.

Well Done XaW, the national league should be scared.

Impressive turn around Anti Spiral, well done

Edited by Upside Down

Post 1 June 2018

HendonFcCrest.png

Linguin Cike (Steam name) is now manager of Hendon.

59ffc7994b6ab_HendonManager.thumb.png.1435a89c65fbe8785641fb223581142e.png

Chose Hendon because out of the six teams they were the only London club to surface from the abyss of non-league football, although it feels to me Hendon is a lifetime away from me in South London being in North London I have a small affiliation with the town because I played Poker there a couple of times.

I will let you guys know how pre-season went in next post.

Unbeaten in 13 in the league, but struggling to score but not conceding either. Last 3 games scoreless draws. In 5th postion play 18th placed Dartmouth. Leading 2-0 without them having any real chances after 78 minutes when all of a sudden they score 3 goals in 6 minutes to win 3-2.

I am more than a little annoyed. How can one of the worst attacks score 3 goals in 6 minutes against one of the best defences in the league? Total joke.

Edited by Upside Down

I just had a takeover by a consortium.

UvyKWE2.png

They don't want to invest, but have taken up a loan to clear our debts, so that's good, I guess. I might be able to take a coaching class as long as we have some money in the bank.

t6a8H9c.png

I did survive it as well. Even got an achievement for it.

Yeah, I got a lot of media hype regarding them changing a manager, but luckily they chose to keep me. Now, I just have to survive the Vanarama National....

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Impressive turn around Anti Spiral, well done

Thanks!  I managed to get through pre-season quickly last night and have won 2 and drawn 1 from the first 3 games of the new season!  

3 games into the season and my goalie has already scored! turns out he's a decent penalty taker.

Dvi8B55.png

Just now, XaW said:

I would like to thank young @Neil Brock for getting a brace in my first win at the national level! ;)

TpPOGLZ.png

Only a sub?! :mad::D 

Just now, Neil Brock said:

Only a sub?! :mad::D 

You are only 18 and new at the club, but if you keep it up you might become a first team regular! ;)

vp4Jvpb.png

On 11/3/2016 at 17:49, Hypanimz said:

Just signed this absolute beast. His name may seem familiar to many of you!

Sense of deja vu from last years thread! 

2 minutes ago, Hypanimz said:

Sense of deja vu from last years thread! 

Wow, I must say, Neil seems to have declined since last year! :D

Xaw- Nice work on getting promoted, hopefully the takeover will help things along. Koenraat looks a fantastic player for his age

Been reading thorugh the posts. What worries me are the clubs finances. I know they can be bad in non league, but these are crazy. Could it be a some sort of bug. 600k in debt seems a bit extreme. Also, how i people finding the scouting, i bet this is costing a fortune with the changes to how it works. As you know have to pay monthly for a package and pay more to scout the player to increase knowledge

27 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

Xaw- Nice work on getting promoted, hopefully the takeover will help things along. Koenraat looks a fantastic player for his age

Thanks! Koenraat is very promising, but he is still young and very up and down. As is most of my team really. I'm doing well in Vanarama National at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be much harder than the regional ones so far.

4 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

Been reading thorugh the posts. What worries me are the clubs finances. I know they can be bad in non league, but these are crazy. Could it be a some sort of bug. 600k in debt seems a bit extreme. Also, how i people finding the scouting, i bet this is costing a fortune with the changes to how it works. As you know have to pay monthly for a package and pay more to scout the player to increase knowledge

I have removed the packages to save some money and just rely on what the scouts are suggesting me to scout. And then I sometimes look at who the top teams have released and ask for some reports. Last season my scouting costs were about £50k. I have no idea if that's too much for this level or what, but I'm not losing much more than I have in earlier versions I feel.

18 minutes ago, XaW said:

I have removed the packages to save some money and just rely on what the scouts are suggesting me to scout. And then I sometimes look at who the top teams have released and ask for some reports. Last season my scouting costs were about £50k. I have no idea if that's too much for this level or what, but I'm not losing much more than I have in earlier versions I feel.

It does seem a little high to me. Every team i have seen so far is in the red by about 300-600k apart from Billeracy and Hereford. I saw one user, cant remember who, had spent nearly 9k in a month on scouting. If that happens every month its over 100k a year. Your kind of being forced to pay that much because it takes so long to gain full knowledge when attribute masking is on. Not a problem if your Arsenal, but if your Chippenham scouting seems to be the quickest way to ruin your club financially

Edited by wicksyFM

20 minutes ago, XaW said:

Thanks! Koenraat is very promising, but he is still young and very up and down. As is most of my team really. I'm doing well in Vanarama National at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be much harder than the regional ones so far.

I took a scouting package for about a month (minimum package) -- then realized exactly how much it was costing so I cancelled it.  Also watch a scouting video that mentioned scouting next opponent was averaging nearly £1K / match....so cancelled that and concentrated just on scouting for needs and individual players.  On the year, my scouting costs ended up being £60k -- or roughly half of my players wages and 3/4 of my staff wages.

I started with about £50K in the bank...at end of first season i'm at about £75K in the red.    Not a lot different for me in that respect than in previous years' challenges.

edit: (playing as Gosport Borough btw)

Edited by G_D_K

1 minute ago, wicksyFM said:

It does seem a little high to me. Every team i have seen so far is in the red by about 300-600k apart from Billeracy and Hereford. I saw one user, cant remember who, had spent nearly 9k in a month on scouting. If that happens every month its over 100k a year. Your kind of being forced to pay that much because it takes so long to gain full knowledge when attribute masking is on. Not a problem if your Arsenal, but if your Chippenham scouting seems to be the quickest way to ruin your club financially

That's why I only scout for a short while and get everyone who is sort of, maybe, decent looking in on a trial. Last season I had more than 200 players on trials....

1 minute ago, XaW said:

That's why I only scout for a short while and get everyone who is sort of, maybe, decent looking in on a trial. Last season I had more than 200 players on trials....

Yeah...I'm waiting for that nerf to hit again this year :p 

If I recall, trialists last year had near instant full scouting......this year....it's only about a week for full scouting (maybe less)....expecting that to be upped a bit...is just a bit too quick and easy way around the scout system.

6 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

If I recall, trialists last year had near instant full scouting......this year....it's only about a week for full scouting (maybe less)....expecting that to be upped a bit...is just a bit too quick and easy way around the scout system.

You need a quick and easy way just to get around the costs of scouting. :lol: It just seems a bit to high to me. I suppose it adds to the challenge.

7 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

Yeah...I'm waiting for that nerf to hit again this year :p 

Yeah, after a week I have almost all the stats, some non-important might still be a small range. But really, a trial for a week should realistically give coaches a general idea of the skill of the player, maybe not as accurate as it is now, but after a week of training you should know if the player is a must have or an impostor who have no right to be at the level.

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Yeah, after a week I have almost all the stats, some non-important might still be a small range. But really, a trial for a week should realistically give coaches a general idea of the skill of the player, maybe not as accurate as it is now, but after a week of training you should know if the player is a must have or an impostor who have no right to be at the level.

Maybe a good idea of the attribs...but not so sure about other aspects such as personality, injury proneness, and such (the intangibles and the hidden attribs).  A good idea of technical and physical, certainly.

Its still in the same realm as last year's release...circumventing the system and they applied a bit of a nerf to it last year...we'll see what they come up with this year.

Edited by G_D_K

2 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

Here is a decent video of scouting. Breaks down some of the costs for types of scouting you can do

Yeah..that's the one I watched that talked about scouting costs (last 1/3 of the video)

8 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

Maybe a good idea of the attribs...but not so sure about other aspects such as personality, injury proneness, and such (the intangibles and the hidden attribs).  A good idea of technical and physical, certainly.

Its still in the same realm as last year's release...circumventing the system and they applied a bit of a nerf to it last year...we'll see what they come up with this year.

Yeah, I agree. Those things could either be as a "rumour" or the media (at higher levels at least), but most of the physical and technical stats at least should be mostly visible after a week. I don't know if it's currently possible to divide up things like this in the game.

Just now, XaW said:

Yeah, I agree. Those things could either be as a "rumour" or the media (at higher levels at least), but most of the physical and technical stats at least should be mostly visible after a week. I don't know if it's currently possible to divide up things like this in the game.

Don't see why not --- they already give hints of various attributes in various ways...and in the past you didn't get any of the injury prone/personality until very late in the scouting process (the last 6 attributes given by scouts in FM17 were PA, injury proneness, and a couple others).