Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

dafuge's FM18 challenge

4 hours ago, ZKobalt said:

Taking a crack at this with Farsley Celtic

Wanted Brightlingsea but I had enough with restarting

There is a Brightlingsea save a few posts back on the previous page 

5a28f9476a38f_HerefordFC_Facilities.thumb.png.52f790ecf617cbf1c4448e762118518e.png

10 hours ago, 13-gigi said:

"Gigi brings glory to Hereford". The best headline that looked impossible back on july when nobody there was giving anything for me.

Won the VNS with two spare game and we're also buying Edgar Street.

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.43.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.35.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-03 a les 23.20.48.png

I wonder why your board is buying Edgar Street - when mine decided to do this.

5a28f6bf811e4_RufusMtwambe_Inbox-8.thumb.png.0a71bb94522a0e49832f2b5ab59f4690.png

5a28f9476a38f_HerefordFC_Facilities.thumb.png.52f790ecf617cbf1c4448e762118518e.png

Edited by Swindon69

A quick start of the season update with Billericay. After 4 consecutive promotions we are still going strong, far better than I expteced. After 13 games in our first year in the Championship we are top of the league, with 10 victories, 2 draws and 1 loss. 

We started the season with an away game at Sunderland and then hosting Fulham. A scrappy 1-0 win at The Stadium of Light was followed by a cracking 6-1 victory against a really poor Fulham. 

The team has showed great determination, being able to come back from being behind in several games. Against Aston Villa at Villa Park we were 2-0 down at half time, but still managing a 2-4 win. In the 12th round we played second place Brighton at home, a thriller of a game. We went 0-2 down early, before coming back and making it 3-3. In stoppage time we got a penalty and I was cheering like a madman. Only to see my striker miss the penalty with the last kick of the game. Gutted!!! 

Really happy with the start of the season, but I really dont see it lasting. I have 4 good central defenders and central midfielders in total and any injuries to them would be devastating! 

The chairman has been generous with my wage budget and transfer budget after the transfer window closed, and has given me some more funds to work with. 23 year old ex-Everton midfielder Tom Davies still hasen't found a club, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way and I might be able to pick him up! With every player now needing a work application, UK born players really is the only way for me to strengthen the squad! 

image.thumb.png.731e11732174c85c32ac6b166f5b7cc2.png

image.thumb.png.9183d7325979af535b53f890fa38420b.png

Edited by thomas_e

I don't think I've enjoyed losing 8 out of 9 games so much before...

That being said, in my first 8 games i conceded 6 penalties. That's a lot isn't it? I mean my defence is bad but I think I'll let the Bugs Forum know about it just in case...

To be fair though, the only game I haven't lost I won (and scored) 3 penalties so that's 9 penalties awarded across 9 games!

Also - so many goals conceded from balls over the top. So. Many. Long. Balls. Over. The. Top!

Edited by Edinton

49 minutes ago, Edinton said:

I don't think I've enjoyed losing 8 out of 9 games so much before...

That being said, in my first 8 games i conceded 6 penalties. That's a lot isn't it? I mean my defence is bad but I think I'll let the Bugs Forum know about it just in case...

To be fair though, the only game I haven't lost I won (and scored) 3 penalties so that's 9 penalties awarded across 9 games!

Also - so many goals conceded from balls over the top. So. Many. Long. Balls. Over. The. Top!

I had a huge amount of penalties as well. Most of them coming from very fast strikers, ball played over my defence, slow defender being clumsy

32 minutes ago, Mr_Demus said:

I had a huge amount of penalties as well. Most of them coming from very fast strikers, ball played over my defence, slow defender being clumsy

Yeah my defenders are poor but there is a thread in the Bugs Forum relating to too many penalties given overall, relating specifically to 18.1.1 so I've added my tuppence to see what comes back. The advice from SI is to monitor it over the season as it should even out/be a realistic total overall so we shall see...

hace 14 horas, Swindon69 dijo:

Congrats - nice one on the ground - my board are looking to build a new stadium at some unspecified point in the future.

Thanks! I hope they'll stick to that on the next few years and don't get rid of Edgar Street if we get a couple of straight promotions. That would be devastating for my finances.I hope they just make an upgrade once we get L2 and don't build a new stadium until CHAMIONSHIP!

Good luck on your first L1 season!!

hace 4 horas, Swindon69 dijo:

I wonder why your board is buying Edgar Street - when mine decided to do this.

5a28f6bf811e4_RufusMtwambe_Inbox-8.thumb.png.0a71bb94522a0e49832f2b5ab59f4690.png

They were reluctant to do so but I conviced them as I was in a good run on VNLS and told them it would be beneficial for us not to pay a rent. I asked to do so because I was affraid they would move away from there too early, as we were gathering a good crowd on the third stage of season, and I wanted to keep a transfer Budget to get L2 straight!

46 minutes ago, 13-gigi said:

They were reluctant to do so but I conviced them as I was in a good run on VNLS and told them it would be beneficial for us not to pay a rent. I asked to do so because I was affraid they would move away from there too early, as we were gathering a good crowd on the third stage of season, and I wanted to keep a transfer Budget to get L2 straight!

Good move 

56 minutes ago, 13-gigi said:

Thanks! I hope they'll stick to that on the next few years and don't get rid of Edgar Street if we get a couple of straight promotions. That would be devastating for my finances.I hope they just make an upgrade once we get L2 and don't build a new stadium until CHAMIONSHIP!

Good luck on your first L1 season!!

Ty - I have a horrible feeling that a 9k stadium will kill me financially.

hace 1 hora, Swindon69 dijo:

9k stadium? looks like a shortviewing move from your board

1 hour ago, Swindon69 said:

I assume it could be expanded, 9k seems small though since your crowds must be reasonable by now

Edited by Thebaker

2 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

I'm filling my home ground pretty much every game.

You would think 15k would be ideal, perhaps it takes into account the population of Hereford in the database.

9k?  Lucky you.  I'm sitting here in Championship with a stadium with 5k capacity (we sell out just about all the time now), which we're expanding to just under 7k this season.  The next lowest average attendance in Championship is 15k.  Of course, we're also spending less than $4M per year on salary, less than half the 23rd lowest in the league, and less than 6% of what the highest in the league is paying.

EDIT: I was wrong, it'll take two years to expand the stadium.

Edited by Warhawk

Hello all.  I've done the Dafuge challenge before, but I just did it on my own and didn't sign up.  This year I'm hoping to share the fruits of my labor!  And to make things interesting, I'm going to use the Dorking Wanderers!  Not only are they the most difficult team, but the name...Incredible!

Here goes nothing!

uTyHSxL.png

12 hours ago, shader98 said:

Hello all.  I've done the Dafuge challenge before, but I just did it on my own and didn't sign up.  This year I'm hoping to share the fruits of my labor!  And to make things interesting, I'm going to use the Dorking Wanderers!  Not only are they the most difficult team, but the name...Incredible!

Here goes nothing!

uTyHSxL.png

Good luck. Im torn between Dorking Wanderers and Leatherhead.

Well, through 15 matches in my first season in the Championship I'm 11-2-2 and in the top spot.  Against the other teams currently in the top 5 (Sheff Wed, West Ham, QPR, and Brighton) I'm 4-0-0, scoring 12 goals and conceding 1, though all 4 matches were at home.  I have the top goalscorer and 3 players in the top 20,  and 4 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10 players in average rating.

Couldn't tell you what I'm doing that's working so well, team report comparison screen suggests that while we're pretty solid in terms of our physical attributes we should be pretty badly overmatched with respect to technical and mental attributes.  In terms of statistics all I can really glean is that we foul a lot, we're good at crossing, and our goalkeeper is pretty fantastic.  It's not like we've just been lucky though, we're +19 in goal differential and won by multiple goals in 6 of our 11 wins.

On 12/7/2017 at 00:41, tremor said:

There is a Brightlingsea save a few posts back on the previous page 

Thanks, I didn't see it. Abandoning the Farsley Celtic save for Brightlingsea

9 hours ago, ZKobalt said:

Thanks, I didn't see it. Abandoning the Farsley Celtic save for Brightlingsea

If people are missing the post, can I trouble some of you to upvote it?  If it is highlighted, more will see it.

Started at Billericay, never done this challenge before and have never done a save this low down before so thought I'd go a bit easier on myself. Was going to chose Basingstoke or Dorchester if they came up as they are local (ish) to me, Gosport did come up but that is far too near Portsmouth as a Saints fan!

Hopefully I have got this right -

jqVhBmx.jpg

Are we allowed to add more leagues later? 

On a side note Craig Bellamy was managing Bradford City and before our match slagged me off so I responded in kind. I then beat Bradford and he got sacked - which gave me a degree of satisfaction. :)

Hereford FC

2023/24 - League 1 1st

Well an interesting season - I had a fairly large clear out with the departing players having accumulate over 800 appearances and scoring over 150 goals between them. We started off fairly poorly and it looked like my initial expectation of a bottom half of the table finish was looking about right as we won five drew 1 and lost four of our opening ten games. At this point I tweaked things and from that point lost five of the remaining thirty six winning twenty four of them. The title was only secured on the penultimate round of games. The overall financial position of the club is a bit iffy because when I signed a player I hadn't picked up on the 35% wage rise on promotion and it was only when I was checking out some details I noticed that the effect of that over two seasons was that he was on £10k a week! I also turned down a bid of £650k for my goalkeeper as the offer came in at the last minute on deadline day.

Aims for next season - don't get relegated.

5a2bcb40a94c9_SkyBetLeagueOne_OverviewStages.thumb.png.26bf3dbc0c2679147200920573d52996.png

The four players I primarily used up front scored 80 goals between them this season with Harvey Bradbury getting 29.

FA Cup - 5th round

I had my first cup run this season which included beating Arsenal 3-1 at home in the 4th round. I then travelled to Manchester City in the 5th round and suffered a creditable 1-3 defeat, at least the money improved my financial position.

Carabao Cup - 2nd round

Not much to say here as I got beaten 1-2 at home by West Brom in the second round.

Checkatrade Trophy - Winners

I made it through to the Final with a few decent results - I played Man Utd u23 (hah) in the final, going behind in the 3rd minute I pulled 2-1 ahead, at this point I was awarded a penalty which we missed. Wih the clock showing 90 mins I conceded the equaliser to it has to be said a good finish by the £67 million pound 28 year old Portuguese International (88 caps 65 goals) Andre Silva. So on to the penalty shootout with Hereford going first. Flitcroft took the first penalty and I think NASA are still looking for the ball :) - the shootout went on quite a while but my young fullback Sanders netted the winner.

5a2bce9f94bdc_HerefordvManUtdUnder23s_MatchReview.thumb.png.e6332c58029fd327cdc792c0be0b5839.png

My top scorer overall for the season was Harvey Bradbury with thirtynine

5a2bcef7b6ee1_HarveyBradbury_OverviewProfile-2.thumb.png.0f65ef5d6e1b64bdf61aa6ea35c33e89.png

The highest average rating was Felix Nmecha with 7.42

5a2bcf3220985_FelixNmecha_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.96760dc13cf40a17a6e9a8ce50e3b104.png

I am now a club legend.

5a2bd4af6ef0c_HerefordFC_General-2.thumb.png.82738d8080ffefae79e7d6872af9a6e8.png

End of season club awards

5a2bd60dabd88_RufusMtwambe_Inbox-12.thumb.png.4b54d4386363d34aa6718fc25ae4c34a.png

Edited by Swindon69

Dulwichhamlet.png

Dulwich Hamlet  - End of season review - 2019/20

Manager at end of season | Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances | Schedule 1 | Schedule 2Inbox season review

So our first season in Vanarama National League was a disappointment. We were very inconsistent, and a dip in form with only 6 wins after Christmas was never going to be enough to keep us in the playoff spots. We can only look forward. We lost a lot of very important players we had on non-contracts during the season, which I believe contributed to us not being able to sustain our form throughout the season. At least we got a good group of young players through in the youth intake.

Finances were again very good. We made a taxable profit of £42.95K after investing heavily in the club's facilities. The board once again granted my requests to improve both junior coaching and youth recruitment, as well as a Continental C Licence.  We also improved our capacity by 1000 in total with 500 of those being seated. We finished 2nd in the league in terms of average attendance in % of total capacity, with 59 %. Average attendance ended at 1959. 

@Warhawk, @HighFlyingDwarf 

Little mid-season update with my Terrors. 

Definitely finding that going full on, all out,  attack attack attack is much better than trying to play defensive. We're currently top scorers, best goal difference and top of the league with 50pts going into mid January. I am finding squad fitness is a huge issue which has been compounded by Cup replays and some injuries to my key midfielders. Finance is also becoming a problem. 

Hopefully will get to the end of the season tonight and post a full review. 

Untitled55_zpszzwrxrx8.jpg

League - Squad - Dynamics - Transfers - Finances

A new Stadium ,  A new Transfer Record (75k) , A new formation and a changing of the old guard were the main talking points as The Robins aimed to make amends for a poor season last year. Thing's certainly took time to gel and fans were crying for change as the club had slumped to 18th by October 1. The tide did eventually turn though and a manager of the month award was presented as a fine run of results saw Altincham rocket up the table.  Whilst never actually catching champions Derby County the last two months of the season were spent in with a ding dong battle with Cardiff City for the second promotion place eventually overhauling them despite losing in the welsh capital with 3 games to go.

In the cups there isn't as per usual much to write about , losing to championship clubs in the third round of both competitions .  Financially the move to the new stadium is killing me though the extra prize money will help though i will need to run with about 10% of the wage budget of most other sides within the division.

EDIT  - Euro 2028 Call-ups  -  Neil McManus is club captain and has 5 caps for Northern Ireland plays Centre Half alongside Anthony Gannon who is a recent acquisition . Gannon is uncapped at Senior Level

cham22_zpsfj2e3vng.jpg

Edited by Kaiserwatman

2 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

I'm 1-5 favourites for relegation from the Championship and 1000-1 for promotion :).

So was I.  I now have a 9 point lead on January 1st.  On a 7 match winning streak at the moment which included 3 matches in a row where I came back to win from a goal deficit followed by 3 matches in a row which were all 2-1 wins after getting out to a 2-0 lead (the first match in the streak was also a 2-1 win after taking a 2-0 lead).

10 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

So was I.  I now have a 9 point lead on January 1st.  On a 7 match winning streak at the moment which included 3 matches in a row where I came back to win from a goal deficit followed by 3 matches in a row which were all 2-1 wins after getting out to a 2-0 lead (the first match in the streak was also a 2-1 win after taking a 2-0 lead).

I'm not convinced my squad is good enough for promotion - also my lower rep makes recruitment difficult - time will tell.

Odd thing happened, I have a striker on loan at Eastleigh, they sent me an offer to extend his loan (he's doing quite well there actually), but the inbox item I got would not let me accept the loan extension because Eastleigh is in the middle of a board takeover.  But on the transfers screen, it lets me accept it.

lol, you sold more season tickets than I have seats capacity.

EDIT: I actually only have 2000 seats.

Edited by Warhawk

4 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

lol, you sold more season tickets than I have seats capacity.

EDIT: I actually only have 2000 seats.

I move to a 12k stadium in two years :)

Got Swansea to give me $3.5 million in the January window for my #3 striker, a talented young player without a lot of ambition or determination who started 5 matches and came in as a sub in 18, scoring 9 goals.  I've got 3 strikers on loan having very successful spells, one of whom looks just as talented as him who I'm recalling to take his spot (he's won 2 VNL young player of the month awards in a row, plus a 1st and 3rd in player of the month).  Should help defray the limitations of our attendance, we've had 13 sellouts because of our small stadium and it's going to be a couple years before the expansion is complete.  Some good news was that we drew Man U away in the FA Cup; bad part of that is that it was in the third round so we got a big lump of money then but missed out on potentially racking up some prize money.  If not for player sales and income from cups we'd be losing like 4 million per year, and that's about our yearly player salary, half that of the next lowest team in the Championship (Swindon).  As it is we're barely breaking even this season (and will lose a lot over the next few months with no cup matches on the schedule) but then we've also been doing some facilities upgrades and have a lot of tax expenditures.  Then again if I can hang on and get promoted I suppose my financial situation will be completely different.  Lost 2 of 3 since that 7 match winning streak though, had a few defensive injuries that have caught up with me a bit.

I've got Gillespie, Duffy, Langford, Boyd (my new starting striker) and Iles locked up long-term, though Iles has an annoyingly low release clause which he insisted on last time we renegotiated, hoping maybe I'll get him to drop it with a new deal in the summer, and Langford's gonna want a raise soon.  Gillespie's stated value is $1.4 million at this point but based on his youth and his good play in the Championship and League 1, I'm betting if I wanted to sell him I could get north of $10 million at this point.  I'm not planning on it but if something comes up and he wants to leave I think it'll at least pay off for me.

EDIT: After losing 2 of 3 I just had my 7th and 8th comeback victories of the season, the second was a 2-1 win where we scored in the 93rd and 96th minute.  I must have a horseshoe up my ass or something.

Edited by Warhawk

Whoa whoa whoa, just saw the prematch interview for my next opponent, Nottingham Forest, and their new manager (for the last couple months) who just retired last summer is Cristiano Ronaldo.

And he dissed me.

Twice.

Oh, it is ON.

Edited by Warhawk

2 hours ago, Warhawk said:

Whoa whoa whoa, just saw the prematch interview for my next opponent, Nottingham Forest, and their new manager (for the last couple months) who just retired last summer is Cristiano Ronaldo.

And he dissed me.

Twice.

Oh, it is ON.

I had a war of words with Craig Bellamy - then beat his side and he got fired :)

At the 14th attempt in the league....a clean sheet :cool:

Just starting this out with Dulwich Hamlet; combining the challenge with a Youth Academy one, so I'm going to try and manage it all by only using my youth players! I'll report back on how I do!

A quick update from my Billericay save. My first season in the Championship went way better than I could have imagined. 

Promotion after 38 games, 30 wins, 7 draws and only 1 loss so far. 

5 promotions in a row :cool:  

A full season review will be posted after the season has ended. 

5.jpg

Edited by thomas_e

6bT08ii.jpg

Lowerstoft Town 2020/21 - Playoff Semi-Finalists

5ezjJlE.jpg

Sigh, what might've been...

League Table - Tactics & 1st eleven - Transfers

We went from having the worst defence in the league to the best. Adarkwa was top scorer in the league. At one point we were on a 14 match unbeaten run, and joint top of the league. But our form in the last 10 games of the season dropped off, and we ended up 5th. The playoff first round was much easier than the score suggests, with Nuneaton scoring two late goals, but against FC United we just weren't really in it at allOur key player this season was arguably central defender Inman, who played fantastically all through the season proper, then had a couple of nightmares in the playoffs.

It's weird, this season felt at the same time a great over-achievement and a bitter disappointment. We were predicted to finish 19th, so to get in the playoffs is great, but considering the firepower this team has, once the defence came together I fell like we should have done even better. Oh well, we'll try again next season.

Season		League				Position	Notes
2018/19		Vanarama National League Nth	21st		Sacked from Warrington, Hired at Lowestoft
2019/20		VNLN				17th		Not relegated!
2020/21		VNLN				5th		Playoff Semi-Finalists

1 hour ago, thomas_e said:

A quick update from my Billericay save. My first season in the Championship went way better than I could have imagined. 

Promotion after 38 games, 30 wins, 7 draws and only 1 loss so far. 

5 promotions in a row :cool:  

A full season review will be posted after the season has ended. 

5.jpg

Nice going - my 1st seasons a bit of a mixed affair so far.

En 6/12/2017 a las 22:40, 13-gigi dijo:

"Gigi brings glory to Hereford". The best headline that looked impossible back on july when nobody there was giving anything for me.

Won the VNS with two spare game and we're also buying Edgar Street.

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.43.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-06 a les 22.36.35.png

Captura de pantalla 2017-12-03 a les 23.20.48.png

Season is over and as I told you we got promoted, but also Hereford claimed some honours like Top scorer and player of season to WES MCDONALD and Manager of the year to me!

Although Wes's big seasons, our fans appreciated even more Tom Elliot's influence to our game handling to him the FANS PLAYER OF THE SEASON AWARD with a support of 55% from our fans. Wes McDonald's 35 goals and 16 assists got just the 24% of our supporters.

Table.png

Team Stats.png

Team Awards.png

Top scorer.png

Player season.png

Manager.png

Untitled55_zpszzwrxrx8.jpg

League - Squad - Dynamics - Transfers - Finances

In a league where the highest earner takes home more a week than my entire squad collectively ,  In a club financially hamstrung by the development of The Altrincham Stadium , with a board unwilling to invest in further facilities with what little money we currently have to at least become self sufficient . With a management team unable to come up with answers resorting to chopping and changing formations ,  with a squad completely out of their depth and unable to attract further additions at an affordable price , regular hammerings were taken , eventually shipping 120 goals -  It's back to the drawing board with the funds from the championship campaign and the sale of Anthony Gannon to Newcastle United.

In the FA Cup there was much excitement for AFC Telford fans as they held Altincham to a draw in the Third Round before The Robins eventually saw them off before facing Premier League Fulham and that was that.

cham24_zpscitouixs.jpg