dafuge's FM18 challenge

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those people well into the game i wondered if anyone has had any teams not on the list on the first page come up.

I had Salisbury come up last season and noticed that St Neots were in southern D1E by 2024 and Cirencester in the southern premier.

In fact looking further i can see quite a few teams have been promoted to or relegated from the feeder leagues - this must be new since they were always static before.

Edit: I was near the new season and did a few reloads.  managed to get Canvey Island to appear, in Isthmian North at the moment. St Neots are now listed as southern premier again.

4 hours ago, Thebaker said:

For those people well into the game i wondered if anyone has had any teams not on the list on the first page come up.

I had Salisbury come up last season and noticed that St Neots were in southern D1E by 2024 and Cirencester in the southern premier.

In fact looking further i can see quite a few teams have been promoted to or relegated from the feeder leagues - this must be new since they were always static before.

Edit: I was near the new season and did a few reloads.  managed to get Canvey Island to appear, in Isthmian North at the moment. St Neots are now listed as southern premier again.

It was changed in FM17 (might even have been FM16?) the game now seems to simulate all the programmed leagues instead of just the one directly below the active league, though they should only start popping up after the second season.

Well, promoted on March 26th, won the league on March 27th.  We just kept winning in basically every imaginable way.  There were 10 matches in the league all season in which we were down at least a goal, we were 4-4-2 in those matches.

4 hours ago, Thebaker said:

I've had Canvey Island and Salisbury come up as well. St Neots starts already in the league below (check the first page again).

1 hour ago, VooDooYouDo said:

I've had Canvey Island and Salisbury come up as well. St Neots starts already in the league below (check the first page again).

I know St Neots starts in southern premier. My point was that they were in the game as southern D1E in 23/24 so had been relegated and then promoted back to southern premier for season 24/25.

1 hour ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

It was changed in FM17 (might even have been FM16?) the game now seems to simulate all the programmed leagues instead of just the one directly below the active league, though they should only start popping up after the second season.

Didn't play in England in FM17 so would not have noticed

9 hours ago, Mr_Demus said:

A weird observation.

I have now tried Hereford two times. First save they ended up in North. Second in South.

When playng in North the players available to me seemed to get better and better. I signed massively in august and september, and regretted it due to many better players available in december.

Now in the South, I signed just enough players to make up a squad in august, so I would have wage space for the better players. But it seems that the players available in august were the best and only players from non league gets added to the available pile.

Maybe I will just have to wait and see, but it annoys me.

Could be a couple of different things if you started both saves fresh instead of reloading a holiday save then the development of players during the first season would be different (which is why for the most part everyone is using different players).

If it's from the same save then being in a different league likely affected it as at this level players won't travel far, so whilst in the North you could attract players released from Northern sides and in the South are limited to Southern sides (not sure exactly how the game determines distances in this case). Players could also have been signed by other teams in one save and not in the other.

4 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

If it's from the same save then being in a different league likely affected it as at this level players won't travel far, so whilst in the North you could attract players released from Northern sides and in the South are limited to Southern sides (not sure exactly how the game determines distances in this case). Players could also have been signed by other teams in one save and not in the other.

Even in the VNL, players often will not sign for my club as its to far away in London. Youth players from London will sign but not from Manchester

Hereford United 

2020/21 Vanarama National League : 2nd

5a1c4646277a2_VanaramaNationalLeague_OverviewStages-2.thumb.png.a963a28d186a98ad80ca50af80753c85.png

Overall it feels like a disappointing season - having battled to 2nd place losing the Play-off Final was a bitter blow.

5a1c4714150da_HerefordvMacclesfield_MatchReview.thumb.png.d00250a3ae0e0b7661ece0b39b9911c1.png

Top Scorer

5a1c477ab169b_LucaNavarro_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.a8a01eadedb9ba9f052530a7a3b7d1eb.png

Top Average Rating

5a1c47aae2acd_ReeceMiller_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.e50958d8cd0007d5da900e0561fcbefe.png

Sadly he damaged his cruciate ligaments.

Player of the season

5a1c48100d187_JacobTwyford_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.2c32c5d7f7d5ae872b41df27f5b58e6b.png

Signing of the season

5a1c4847bb06b_JaphetTanganga_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.266fe92d180f00eb3257a02101523f94.png

Young Player of the Season

Reece Miller

2020/21 FA Cup : 1st Round defeat to Forest Green Rovers

2020/21 FA Trophy : Winners beat Macclesfield in the final

5a1c48955302d_HerefordvMacclesfield_MatchReview-2.thumb.png.58e41f612274595e293a82ce190a511a.png

Aims for next season - get promoted and don't concede 16 goals in the league from corners. My boards minimum target is the play-offs.

@Swindon69 - your board must be ambitious to ask for that, i suppose your rep is quite high. It was always going to be tough to overcome a tycoon team like Billericay.

My team reached the playoffs in 22/23 and the board wanted to avoid relegation in the next season which is just as well since that is what happened. I suggested to my players that midtable was reachable only for them to moan i was being too ambitious. After 3 seasons in the VNL my board still want to avoid relegation.

Image result for hereford fc

Hereford FC - Premier League - 2027/28

Our second season in the Premier League was upon us and handed with a £100m transfer kitty I had planned to revamp the squad, change the tactics and improve on last season. I had a nightmare for the most part. Originally I wanted to go with a 433 formation with wingers instead of 3 out and out strikers to play a better style of football. That failed miserably early on and I spent the rest of the season struggling with tactics going back to my original tactic for a while and then in the end I began experimenting with a deep 4231/4411 hybrid formation which saw us pull away from trouble and finish in a respectable 12th position.     

League Table

Past Positions

Cups - Shock exit in the Carabao to Ipswich. We made it to the 6th round of the FA Cup before a defeat to Norwich. This was before I settled on a tactic.

Squad - I struggled to find the right players for the new systems I was using. In the end I was playing some players out of position but things picked up. I will probably have another clear out this season. Got a couple of really good players but the majority arent really good enough.   

Finances - Just under £50m in the bank. Not bad considering I spent £80m on transfers!

Transfers - £78m spent and only recouped £8.5m. I made a loss on Jack Nairn as he didn't perform and whilst I was messing around with systems he was sold as I thought I was going winger less. I have now gone back to wingers so I lost money on him.   

Key Player Profiles:

Jack Gardiner - £6m steal for the Canadian International. Chipped in well.

Bradley Alexandre - £14.75m is a steal for this guy. Only 18 years old. He is the future.

Marius Cristian - Another good season. Spent some time on left mid to help out the squad and did well.

Next Season

Comfortable survival is the aim

Other News

The new stadium is getting expanded already and with a bit of luck I can improve most of my facilities again.

Career Overview

Season          League                      League Finish     Achievements
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19         Vanarama South              9th               FA Cup 2nd round  
2019/20         Vanarama North		    3rd	 	      Lost in playoff final
2020/21         Vanarama North		    1st	              Champions and FA Trophy Winners
2021/22         Vanarama National           1st               Champions, FA Trophy finalists & FA Cup 3rd round
2022/23		Sky Bet League 2	    1st		      Champions  
2023/24         Sky Bet League 1            4th               Lost in playoff final
2024/25         Sky Bet League 1            1st               Champions, FA Cup round 5 & Checkatrade Trophy winner
2025/26         Sky Bet Championship        1st               Champions
2026/27         Premier League              11th              Survival
2027/28	        Premier League              12th              

Just now, Swindon69 said:

Do you guys use the default corner defending set up?

Nooooooooooo! I changed everything in the beta when I conceded about a goal a game. For me it was the "stay back"-generic that was poor. As soon as i changed it everything went better.

3 minutes ago, XaW said:

Nooooooooooo! I changed everything in the beta when I conceded about a goal a game. For me it was the "stay back"-generic that was poor. As soon as i changed it everything went better.

I've been working on it but still let in around 16 goals in the league - way too high still :) I think I worked out that many probably cost me 5 or 6 points at least.

5 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

I've been working on it but still let in around 16 goals in the league - way too high still :) I think I worked out that many probably cost me 5 or 6 points at least.

I went to man marking which made it worse, there always seemed to a spare opposition player.  went back to the default, it the 2nd ball which  is equally bad as i can't set 2 players on the edge of the box and i don't want 2 on the halfway line so it just comes back in. The opposition by comparison seem to always get in on goal from my corners even with 2 men staying back.

1 minute ago, Muggert said:

image.thumb.png.adb4df96becdfe015c8c43313279c6cd.png

Not the best start to the season. We need some new players to be able to compete in the National.

With Billericay surely you already have the players there to win the league. They are so strong the AI gets them into L2 on most games, so i don't think you need worry too much

16 minutes ago, Tyggis said:

I've been looking to start this challenge for a while now, but I just can't pick a team. It's basically down to Stalybridge or Altrincham now, where Alty seems to be the easier option.

Pick a team close to you so you have some connection with the club. 

20 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

That's Portsmouth so i couldn't bring myself to manage a club from there :D

Fair point there.

Anyway, Dorchester and Weymouth are pretty low rep so your best bet for something reasonably close that won't take forever is Basingstoke I guess... and they just come off as kinda dull.

That said, nobody's done Basingstoke (or Dorchester) yet, so you'd be the first.

Just now, Warhawk said:

Fair point there.

Anyway, Dorchester and Weymouth are pretty low rep so you're best bet for something reasonably close that won't take forever is Basingstoke I guess... and they just come off as kinda dull.

That said, nobody's done Basingstoke (or Dorchester) yet, so you'd be the first.

I spent a few hours trying for Tiverton but got bored

1 hour ago, Tranmeremad said:

Wanting to give this a try with Marine but never seem to appear after the first season! Will keep trying but may have to go with Warrington as they have managed to come up every time so far!

took me over an hour till I got marine. Keep trying mate :) Matty Hamilton is a beast :D

3 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

Well that was the quickest takeover yet. Kept my job and got the achievement for takeover survival

Fm1.thumb.png.44b703226643e6f0f69335a47f6fba85.png

Fm2.thumb.png.6d9a08b8ea74176fad30962469f02f38.png

just two days to buy the club haha

The use of "pumped" to describe the amount is an interesting choice - congrats on surviving btw.

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Marine - End of Season 3 Review (20/21)

League Report: (League Two)
It was a long tough season in League Two. We managed to survive relegation and stay up in the division at the first attempt. We finished the season all the way down in 16th place with 58 points, 10 points above the drop zone. It was always going to be a tough campaign after our recent back to back promotions and we soon found out how hard it was going to be. It was a very tense end to the season going into the final three games as there was just 5 points separating the teams in 17th to 23rd place. Macclesfield Town was already confirmed as the team to finish bottom of the league as they was over 20 points from safety but one of 7 teams could be joining them in the Vanarama National League next season. Marine was sitting in 18th place just 4 points ahead of 23rd. An amazing 3-0 win away to second placed Carlisle United all but guaranteed that we would be staying up, still having that 4 point cushion going into the final two games.

Survival was confirmed for the club with one game to spare as we beat Rochdale at home 1-0. In the final game of the season we took on Grimsby Town away from home and we managed to win 4-3 in a thrilling game and secure 16th place for the season. Columbus Ibeh finished the season as the clubs top goal scorer as the former Chelmsford striker scored 25 goals in 48 appearances, Fan Favorite Matty Hamilton scored 19 goals in 38 games in what could be his last season for the club as his contract is up in the summer and we are undecided if he will be offered a new deal.

league1.thumb.png.41fd1a3f0088c91daf632b0f7395aef2.pngleague2.thumb.png.4aab6672bb2bbca76811fb8bad508c67.pngTeam.thumb.png.b2e3b93083b078e57ba5d3525e1f1a58.png

Cup Report:
It wasn't the greatest performance in the cups as we where knocked out the FA Cup in the first round to Gillingham after a 3-1 defeat away from home. Middlesbrough knocked us out the League Cup in the second round and Doncaster Rovers beat us 5-3 in the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy after we finished 2nd in the group stage. Hoping for some better form in the cups next season as the clubs finances are into the red again and we need that big cup draw!

Transfers and Loans:
After our new found wealth last season we managed to spend some actual money and not depend on free transfers. Robbie Parson (3.3k from Boston United) and Ellis Stevens (5.5k From Salisbury) being the better of the players we signed in the summer. As usual we brought in a lot of new faces to replace those that left at the end of last season and also signed a few in on loan to give the squad some much needed depth.

tran1.thumb.png.76cad854a395e1b75f71d892cd5e7d1a.pngPlay1.thumb.png.9624b4c1a13ac339cc0338128e28d18d.png Play2.thumb.png.168bb4331315d2f3c6e180d2d56ec631.png

Key Stats and Records:
Top goal scorers: Columbus Ibeh (25) - Matty Hamilton - (19) Robbie Parsons (17)
Most assists: Robbie Parsons (14) - Columbus Ibeh (13) - George Cox (10)
Average Rating: Nick Arnold (7.38) - Tommy Rowe (7.30) - Robbie Parsons (7.26)

Season 21/22 Targets:
- Mid table finish in League two, Potentially push for play offs
- A Decent cup run in the hopes we pull a big team away from home for some much needed income

Career History:

Season   |   League             Position   FA Cup          Europa League     Champions League      Note
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  |   Vanarama North     2nd        3rd Qual Rd     N/A                N/A                  Playoff Winners
2019/20  |   Vanarama Premier   1st        3rd Rd          N/A                N/A
2020/21  |   League Two         16th       1st Rd          N/A                N/A

Career Stats:

Played  |  W  |  D  |  L  |  For  |  Against  |  Win %  |  Time at club  |  Earnings  |  Trophies  | Total Transfers (£)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  161      86    29    46    385       274        53%       1,048 days        £76k          1            145k

Club Information:

Season   |  Stadium  |  Av Attendance  |  Season Tickets  |  Training Fac. | Youth Fac. |  Youth Recruitment
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  |   3,185          647                124           Poor            Poor          Limited
2019/20  |   4,435        1,093                191           Poor            Poor          Limited
2020/21  |   6,685        1,717                595           Poor            Basic         Basic  

Just on a little side note.. I decided it was best to Give Matty Hamilton a extension to his contract and keep him at the club. The Marine Icon has been at the club since I took over and has gone on to score 101 goals for the club and has been such an important player for the us in the last three seasons that has helped us to back to back promotions and survival in league two. He is the squad team leader and a fan favorite. He took a little pay cut to stay at the club and is now regarded as a back up player. I don't think he will get many games next season for us but just having him in the dressing room with be beneficial to the club.

Matt1.thumb.png.81e195cdfe9a620b915f4b59358d27d2.pngMatt2.thumb.png.07d7302c5e3e19e19cb83582f22e3636.pngMatt3.thumb.png.539ba21ca96cb9452770f8d118c1754e.png

He holds the club record for most appearances with 170 games played and is also the clubs record goal scorer with 101 goals. He was also voted the fans player of the season for the season just gone in League Two despite being over overshadowed by the other strikers in the team. Its been such an honor to manage this legend and hope he sticks around the team despite being just a back up player :thup:

Fun side note, both Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs are managing League 2 teams in my save (Stevenage and Gillingham, respectively).  We've managed to go 5-0-0 against them this season.  They're actually doing OK though, Stevenage is in 5th 2 points out of a promotion spot and Gillingham is in 9th 3 points out of the playoff.

EDIT: So Wayne got them promoted through the playoff.  Also Hartlepool hired Jamie Vardy, but they're dropping down to the VNL.

On 11/27/2017 at 04:40, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Well, I got sidetracked so the scoreboard update is delayed. I've updated some of the results but I'm waiting until they're all done before posting.

Don't see my two updates on the leaderboard updated mate

Archived