Sports Interactive Community
dafuge

dafuge's FM18 challenge

36 minutes ago, dafuge said:

That's a difficult one, as the rules have always prohibited the use of the editor.

I don't really see a problem with leagues like that, but you'd need the editor to enable them.

Well, since I was still reloading I just remade a compliant save. I'm glad I noticed before I actually started and not after I'd started considering I'm currently 150 hours (minus 3 game set up times forthe beta, release and the new one I did today) into trying to get Brightlingsea or Dorking...

1 hour ago, XaW said:

Wow.....

78C115B68EE5624E901740D15847BCFE442E521E

That's an amazing result although i'm more surprised by the number of away fans, you must be doing well.

1 minute ago, Thebaker said:

That's an amazing result although i'm more surprised by the number of away fans, you must be doing well.

Well yes, but I don't have that number in other games. My last league game away (to Yeovil) had 105 fans traveling with us...

Just now, XaW said:

Well yes, but I don't have that number in other games. My last league game away (to Yeovil) had 105 fans traveling with us...

Even Marine has fair weather fans who only turn out for the big games :D

I went from having over 1000 away fans in a Cup game at Burnley to having 6 away fans in a Trophy game at Wingate & Finchley 2 weeks later.

@XaW have you kept the same 4-3-3 formation since the start? I’m struggling with tactics and really want to nail one before I start the challenge properly.

4 minutes ago, Mushtaq said:

@XaW have you kept the same 4-3-3 formation since the start? I’m struggling with tactics and really want to nail one before I start the challenge properly.

Well, more or less. The formation is the same, but the tactics and roles change. And I change it frequently during matches as well. I don't always chose the right ones though, as I told those in the Steam-group yesterday, I conceded 15 goals in 3 matches when I tried to "fix my defensive issues". So, yeah, it's still a learning experience. Regarding tactics, I always try to get into the mindset of a real manager. What do I want to do? I often try to emulate a real manager, the first seasons this year I tried to play the Klopp-Liverpool way, but that was not suitable for Vanarama North! So I had to go another way.

I noticed that if I played defensively I didn't score and conceded a lot, but if I played attacking I conceded the same, but scored goals. So I took it from there and decided to go the 4-3-3 way. The defenders are just staying back, though I sometimes let the fullback attack if we need a goal or are playing against a very narrow formation. Of the 3 midfielders, 1 are sitting back and recycling possession and also work as the pivot of the tactic. The other two have more offensive roles while the strikers I usually have the central one hang back and play as the linkup player and the other two make the runs and stretch the defense. This is the main gist of the tactic, and when I noticed it working much better I specifically aimed for players that fit the tactic, and most of the ones I have gotten in are going into one specific role.

I usually look very much at the matches when I'm building the tactic, but when I have found something that kind of work I play on fewer highlights since I know what works and don't. But if things are really going badly I start to look again to see how and why we are struggling. Then I try to remedy it, and if it works I make a mental note (since I can't be bothered to write it down) as to how to fix certain problems and tactical challenges. And after a while I notice it earlier and with fewer highlights, and so I make similar changes and try to fix it before I concede from it. Not that I always make the right changes though, as evident by my 15 conceded in 3 games.

1464852439.jpg&w=120&h=120&t=square

Shaw Lane - 2022/23

First year in the Conference was a pretty successful one, but we struggled in the second half of the season to a point where I'm basically going to clear out the entire squad and tactic in the offseason. We shipped goals in the second half and struggled getting the same production from our SSs. 

Vanarama Conference - Leading for the majority of the season, and then threw it away second half and went out in the playoffs.

FA Trophy - Unfortunate loss to Southport as we had the chance of going far in this one.

FA Cup - Knocked out by a much better side.

Transfers - Not many good signings, we had overall a worse squad from last year, since we lost a few loanees and never truly replaced them.

Squad - Not much changes, we weren't able to bring back a couple loanees, which is the same I said last season. Like I said, an overhaul is coming.

Finances - New board cleared our debt as we're starting to sink back into it again.

Key Player Profiles:

Jacob Ramsey - Another quality year.

Felix Nmecha - He really improved this year, easily the best player.

Luke Carey - Took a half a season to get going, but was pretty good when he did.

Career Overview

Season    League            Position    FA Cup       FA Trophy      Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment   Achievements/Notes        Top Scorer             Most Assists                  Highest Avg Rating 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Vanarama North    17th        1st Round    1st Round      Poor                   Basic                Minimal             Limited             N/A                       Chilaka (12)           Walker/Chilaka (6)            Jones (7.01)
2019/20   Vanarama North    7th         4th Q Round  2nd Round      Poor                   Basic                Minimal             Limited             Lost in playoff QF        Hale (21)              Loader (14)                   Raymond (7.23)
2020/21   Vanarama North    2nd         1st Round    2nd Round      Poor                   Basic                Minimal             Limited             Lost in playoff finals    Levitt/Ramsey (16)     Levitt/Ramsey (10)            Levitt (7.26)
2021/22   Vanarama North    1st         2nd Q Round  2nd Round      Poor                   Basic                Minimal             Limited             Champions                 Ramsey (30)            Levitt (15)                   Tibbetts (7.39)
2022/23   Vanarama National 4th         2nd Round    3rd Round      Poor                   Basic                Minimal             Limited             Lost in playoff 1R        Nmecha (22)            Ramsey (21)                   Nmecha (7.34)

Edited by The_Gato_In_Goal

Back in on this again, determined to see it through for once... i always seem to get to league 1/champ level and then fall away, not this time!

I give you Frankie Knuckles, the new manager of Margate :)

Frankie%20Knuckles_%20%20Inbox_zpsjtnly0

I have played this challenge every year for the last 10 or so (more than I care to count accurately) - I find it by far the most enjoyable way to play though often quit after 1/2 seasons in the Premier League as I get bored. Very rarely am I organised enough to post on here, but I felt I should share this particularly ludicrous game. My previous home game ended 0-0.

I'm Warrington, 6th game of 1st season, experimenting with a 4-1-3-2 narrow on Counter. Particularly enjoyed my collapse from 6-2 at half-time requiring 94th and 95th minute goals to steal the win.

6-8.png

azfL2tX.jpg

Been lurking for a while now, but I thought I'd give the challenge a try this year. Warrington here I come!

Into January (season 3) and I get this :seagull: We have just dropped into the relegation zone

fm1.thumb.png.c7f1f98d9605e04b7e947117e968f916.png

Edited by PS-GamerNeil

Just now, PS-GamerNeil said:

Into January (season 3) and I get this :seagull: We have just dropped into the relegation zone

fm1.thumb.png.c7f1f98d9605e04b7e947117e968f916.png

Board wanted 7 points in next 5 games... I got him down to 5 points in 5 games... The pressure is on

Fm1.thumb.png.7705dcfed0f23c4ee989c86b21fdc687.png

So the five games to save my Job..........

Game 1 - 3-2 Defeat
Game 2 - 1-1 Draw
Game 3 - 0-0 Draw
Game 4 - 3-3 Draw (vs top of the league.. Typical)

My 5th game was away vs Alfreton Town (14th) This game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. This meant that my 5th game would be home against Worcester City who are sitting bottom of the league on 9 points from 29 games.

Game 5 - 4-1 defeat to bottom of the league...... SACKED!

Fm1.thumb.png.7fabeed7cf63d70061375a1dc501cc84.png

So I managed to last 2 and a half seasons at Whitby Town but I struggled to get any tactic to work. I lost control of the Finances and struggled to get quality players into the club with this new scouting set up.

Attempt 2

I will be restarting the challenge and will properly be going with my other choice of clubs I wanted to manage... Marine. They are a very local club to me so hoping to bring some success.

Any tips on tactics for my second attempt? Any other tips on managing my clubs finances better and how do you go about bringing some talent into your club? Any help would be appreciated before I go again!

Really enjoying the challenge though and I am not giving up!

Edited by PS-GamerNeil

So at this point I've essentially resorted to instructing my players to basically straight-up murder the other team in an effort to get them to stop standing around and watching while the other team casually passes the ball around in the penalty box.  Seems to be working so far, beat 3rd place Blyth at home 2-0, was unlucky to lose 2-0 away to first place York in a game in which we were the better team, then destroyed our rivals Chorley on their own field 4-0.  More fouls and cards, of course, but a marked decrease in me yelling things like "DO SOMETHING!" and "STOP STANDING THERE YOU NUMPTY!"  In fact we beat Chorley so bad that their manager was fired before the post-match press conference and their interim manager showed up to do it (yeah that's probably how it always happens but I just like the idea that we humiliated a rival).

Edited by Warhawk

1 hour ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

So the five games to save my Job..........

Game 1 - 3-2 Defeat
Game 2 - 1-1 Draw
Game 3 - 0-0 Draw
Game 4 - 3-3 Draw (vs top of the league.. Typical)

My 5th game was away vs Alfreton Town (14th) This game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch. This meant that my 5th game would be home against Worcester City who are sitting bottom of the league on 9 points from 29 games.

Game 5 - 4-1 defeat to bottom of the league...... SACKED!

Fm1.thumb.png.7fabeed7cf63d70061375a1dc501cc84.png

So I managed to last 2 and a half seasons at Whitby Town but I struggled to get any tactic to work. I lost control of the Finances and struggled to get quality players into the club with this new scouting set up.

Attempt 2

I will be restarting the challenge and will properly be going with my other choice of clubs I wanted to manage... Marine. They are a very local club to me so hoping to bring some success.

Any tips on tactics for my second attempt? Any other tips on managing my clubs finances better and how do you go about bringing some talent into your club? Any help would be appreciated before I go again!

Really enjoying the challenge though and I am not giving up!

I feel you man, good luck with your next try.

For tactics maybe read some of the post of @XaW

TheEarl's Dafuge Quest (Second try)

Billericay Town - Season 2020/21 - Vanarama National League

Media prediction: 11th

Board demands: Top half of the table, 1st round of FA-Cup, 4th round of FA Trophy

Player demands (dynamics): This time around the players had the same expectations as the board.

As I told about earlier, the club who was already rich compared to other clubs in the division, went through a board takeover by a very rich business tycoon from Argentina. I survived the takeover (without any problems) and the club got even richer.

Takeover - Takeover2 - Takeover3

Formation(s): 4-3-3 all season, as I chopped out all wingers. Mostly playing attacking mentality, but changed for Counter Attacks in some games. Short passing, but switched between "Work ball into the box" and "Hit early crosses". Both seemed to work, as we easily had the best team in the league.

Finances: The club could spend nearly 1 million pounds for transfers, and 89k per week for wages. I spent only half of the wages and for transfers just moved some of it to scouting. The club lost money as always, but this season down to just 700k. The chairman then finished the season by putting in 2,1M pounds. What was really good this season was the fact that we could afford sending me to coaching courses. I now hold a Continental C-License and currently study for a Cont. B-License due to be finished in December. The club has also decided to build a new stadium The upgrade in capacity will only be a mere 500 from 4600-5100. But I think the new stadium will boost the club a bit. Still the chairman completely refuses to upgrade training/youth facilities. We are not even categorized in youth level, so thinking of some new gem of a youth player is totally out of the question. I will have to rely on signing new players or loaning some.

Season: We where pretty much unbeatable from the start. Only lost once in the opening half of the season. Port Vale followed us for almost half the season, but in the end we opened up a near 20 points gap. Lost a few games after the league was decided so the margin dropped somewhat after Newport County had a storming end to the season. FA-Cup was great until 3rd round proper when we lost away to Nottingham Forest by 4-2. The most disappointing fact was an attendance of only 9100. FA-Tropy we won after extra time at Wembley to beat Newport County playing extra time with only 10 men.

Final league table

Fixtures part 1 - Fixture part 2 - Fixture part 3

Not even bothering to mention youth intake, all players where scrapped.

Stats:

Highest Attendance: 2859 vs Gateshead Semifinal FA Trophy 

Highest Gate Receipts: 42,4K vs Boston United 2nd round of FA-Cup

Average Attendance: 2093

Top goalscorer: Eoghan Stokes 32 goals - All time: Eoghan Stokes 77 goals

Most assists: Eoghan Stokes 24 assists - All time: Eoghan Stokes 46 assists

Best Av.rat: Eoghan Stokes 7,60 Av.rat (50 matches) 

Most appearances: Eoghan Stokes 50 matches - All time: Eoghan Stokes 132 matches

Most MoM awards: Eoghan Stokes 10 MoM - All time: Eoghan Stokes 17 MoM

Career Overview

2018/19 - 4th in Vanarama South - 3rd QR FA-Cup - 3rd QR FA Trophy - Tom Heardman 18 goals - Ricky Modeste 18 assists - Tom Heardman 7,22 Av.rat - Shaun Rowley 45 matches

2019/20 - 1st in Vanarama South - 1st round FA Cup - 2nd round FA Trophy - Eoghan Stokes 27 goals - Eoghan Stokes 21 assists - Tolaji Bola 7,65 Av.rat - Eoghan Stokes 49 matches

2020/21 - 1st in Vanarama National - 3rd round FA Cup - Winner FA Trophy - Eoghan Stokes 32 goals - Eoghan Stokes 24 assists - Eoghan Stokes 7,60 Av.rat - Eoghan Stokes 50 matches

Career Trophies

1 Vanarama South, 1 Vanarama National, 1 FA Trophy

@HighFlyingDwarf noted for your updates. Having some troubles with screenshots at the moment, will edit them in later.

Edited by TheEarl

I have been holding out for 18.1.2 but I can resist no longer. Loading my first attempt up now 

Season 2018/2019

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania dulwich hamlet

Squad - League - Transfers - Finances - Manager

First touch with FM18 to be honest I didn't want to make a move to challenge allready but im not sure what or who move me to that but here we go. So basicly I wanted to test how new FM18 works, new scouting, tactical system, dynamic so no high expectation about results or in game so far. Scouting looks very promising (but sure everyone are happy about that), with dynamic I didn't have any problems so far but it's interesting mechanic in game and at the end tactic. I started season with 3-5-2 something like Tottenham is playing now friendlies were very cool wining over 3-0 but with better teams didnt work so well and league gave me right punch very fast. Then I switch to 4-3-3 with one striker in back and one more wide we score a lot of goals but in the same time we lose a lot of possesion and goals in fact. Season I ended with 6th place and tactic 4-1-2-2-1 with 2 wingers playing as striker it work less or more but still I didnt like it. In cup we reach 4th round and in FA we got knockout in 1 round. I couldnt do anything with facilities I only improved  youth budget. If we talk about young my intake was pretty cool I think Cheney is definitly our best prospect. Im probably first Dulwich manager in history of fm18 that didnt get promotion in first season we lost in play-off finals 1-2 unlucky. I should mention 3 best players in this season I guess Faal, Rees and Ferguson. I've got licence but I'ts  seems that bug with determination and youth working skill is still in game idk mby just didn't move with first grade. In the next season I want to ofc be promoted and find my own tactic.

Season    League            Position    FA Cup       FA Trophy      Training Facilities    Youth Facilities     Junior Coaching     Youth Recruitment   Achievements/Notes        Top Scorer             Most Assists                  Highest Avg Rating 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Vanarama South    6th        4st Round      1st Round        Basic                   Basic                Adequate           Fairly Basic       Play-off Final           Faal (19)              Faal (13)                     Rees (7.61)

Edited by Sn00gle

image.png.2b888b6435c94eb5248ecc9b3ca40baa.png

Staines 2020/21

Table | Squad | Transfers| Cups

Started the season by winning all the pre-season games and the first 4 league games scoring 17 goals including a 7-0 against Whitehawk.
Thereafter the team won a few and a lost a few but remained in the playoff spots all season. With 5 games to go the team lost 4 in a row including away to rivals Hampton and at home to Billericay. A 3-1 home win in the last game ensured the team made the playoffs.
In the playoff the team beat Billericay 2-0 at home and Hampton 2-0 away to face Woking the in the final. This was predictably settled 1-0 by a Worrall penalty (1 of 13 he scored).
In the cups it was so-so, in the FA cup the team comfortably saw off struggling L2 Lincoln but were outclasssed by L1 Bradford in the 2nd rd. In the FA trophy the team lost to Dulwich in the 1st Rd.
The match against Bradford brought in a bit of money to help the finances and the board putting in 120K after the screenshot meant the team finished out of the red.

The board increased the ground by 500  at the start of the season and again by 1250 at the end after promotion.

I started the season with promising young goalie Ward in goal but he left after 5 games, Walton got injured for 5 months so my youth goalie England played.
I strengthened the defence with 3  first teamer's coming in which really helped although they still had a lot of off games.
In midfield the pairing of Worrall and Klass helped by Miller-Rodney were once again fantastic.
Brown who played 35 games mostly as sub and Gardner who played 40 left before the last game of the season.
Up front the 3 of Zanzala, Buchanan and Pearce started on fire, but Buchanan's form fell off badly after xmas and Pearce was injured for the last 4 months. This meant i played some of the youth strikers with Plant doing particularly well.
Zanzala ended as top scored but will not sign a new contract.

Season    League            Position    FA Cup           FA Trophy              Achievements/Notes               
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Vanarama South    19th        3rd Q Round      3rd Q Round              Avoided relegation                            
2019/20   Vanarama South    13th        2nd Round 	 1st Round     		      None    
2020/21   Vanarama South    5th         2nd Round 	 1st Round     		    Promoted             

@HighFlyingDwarf

Edited by Thebaker

Nearly half way though the first season with Ashton United and its going surprising okay, 12th in the league and into the 2nd round of the FA cup. Hired a DoF who made some really good loan signings for me as well.

League Table

Fixtures

Squad

Transfers

Edited by Higgo

8 hours ago, TheEarl said:

I feel you man, good luck with your next try.

For tactics maybe read some of the post of @XaW

Will be starting my new game tonight. Just a few questions before I load up my game.

When starting a new game what database setup you guys using? My last attempt was just all leagues in England. 

Thinking of doing all leagues in U.K. And Ireland next time. Does it make a difference if the league is playable or view only? how would this effect player pool and future regens? 

Should I throw in a few leagues from Europe? My pc can handle a few extra leagues and should these be view only or playable? If so what leagues would you recommend? 

Any other suggestions on the initial game setup that you guys use/reccomend? 

Really enjoyed my time at Whitby town before being sacked in season 3 so looking forward to trying again. Just want the best game set up to give me a better advantage long term. 

Thanks in advance 

6 hours ago, TheEarl said:

Finances: The club could spend nearly 1 million pounds for transfers, and 89k per week for wages. I spent only half of the wages and for transfers just moved some of it to scouting. The club lost money as always, but this season down to just 700k. The chairman then finished the season by putting in 2,1M pounds. 

@HighFlyingDwarf

Wow... I started my first fm18 save with afc Wimbledon and had less than half of your budget up in league 1. Definitely a budget to reach for the stars with. 

I'm at the opposite end of the scale with 'the gate'. No money, no staff and not even enough players for a starting 11. Still in pre season and trying to bring people in. Hopefully getting some friendly games under my belt and the first few games of the season sorted tonight. 

1 hour ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

Will be starting my new game tonight. Just a few questions before I load up my game.

When starting a new game what database setup you guys using? My last attempt was just all leagues in England. 

Thinking of doing all leagues in U.K. And Ireland next time. Does it make a difference if the league is playable or view only? how would this effect player pool and future regens? 

Should I throw in a few leagues from Europe? My pc can handle a few extra leagues and should these be view only or playable? If so what leagues would you recommend? 

Any other suggestions on the initial game setup that you guys use/reccomend? 

Really enjoyed my time at Whitby town before being sacked in season 3 so looking forward to trying again. Just want the best game set up to give me a better advantage long term. 

Thanks in advance 

Playable does make a difference in the number of regens.  For this I made UK & Ireland playable, since you'll probably be able to scout out players from the rest of the UK and Ireland fairly early on.  And depending on the Brexit you get that's where you'll be focusing almost exclusively until the very end of the challenge anyway.

And don't forget to include the leagues below VNN/VNS, obviously.

Season 2020/21 Review - Mickleover Sports in the Vanarama National League

League Table | Playoff | Season Review

Happy to see a strong first season after promotion. Less happy top drop from 2nd to 5th in the last two matches! But hey, considering we went through a mid-season slump of 6 losses in 8 matches and seem to be back to our old bad habits on set pieces, I'll certainly take it. The issue here is clearly defending; We're the highest-scoring team in the league but 67 conceded is not good enough. Some adjustments will be needed.

Playoff... I had a bad feeling the moment we drew Billericay who beat us twice in the regular season. Home advantage back at newly-renovated Mickleover Sports Ground helped, but they held strong and struck twice with long balls straight from defense to the lone striker. Game over. :(

Some good goals this season. This late equalizer was chosen as the Goal of the Season, though my personal favorite is either this cheeky piece of skill from Grayson or this fast-passing build-up through the middle. Either way, this is the one part of our play I'm really happy with!

Squad | Transfers

The attacking partnership continues: Powell won league top goalscorer and Grayson most assists. Fantastic results, but Powell is clearly the only forward who truly managed the step-up. Feeling pretty good about signing him on a three-year deal now!

Transfer-wise I decided to make relatively small changes mostly around the periphery of the squad. Aspinall would be the exception stepping right into goal, Tunnicliffe and Staunton provide depth in defense, Marsh gives me another pacy option up front, and last-season loanee Burrows was happy to sign as backup after Wrexham released him. Bradley didn't arrive until later in the season after spending some time unhappy at Kidderminster, though he doesn't seem happy in the roles I play him. Getting him going may just be one of the keys to improving for next year. Compared to the non-contract players I had to rotate in last year, it's all a big improvement!

On a less positive note, I'm falling out of love with Smith. He doesn't perform well enough as a TM and that Plays With Back To Goal PPMwhich he's failed to unlearn twice nowdoesn't suit the way we normally pass into space. His contract is expiring and I'm leaning towards not renewing.

Finances

The cash injections continue. The board doesn't even wait until we're in the red anymore. As I don't see them stopping, I'll consider us healthy for now!

Aim for next season: Top half. If we almost made 2nd with weaknesses I intend to address, it seems realistic enough.

Season    League              Finish   Notes
2020/21   Vanarama National   5th      Knocked out in Playoff 1st Rnd
2019/20   Vanarama North      2nd      Promoted via Playoffs
2018/19   Vanarama North      16th     -

@Scab That is a good season, the VNL doesn't seem to be very tough at all. Most people have done well in their first season.

Joining the challenge officially (after playing unofficially last version):

image.png.c5e8bf1b478c6125e1e5880754c7d988.png

I was looking for unusual and a club I had never tried and got Needham Market on the first holiday attempt- quite pleased to make a try with them actually.

Current players on the Needham Market roster that I will use in my preferred 442:

Gk- Danny Gay

DC- Sam Nunn

DR- Kieron Morphew 

ML- Jack Simmons

MR- Max Booth

DM/MC- Callum Harrison

MRL,SC- Jamie Griffiths

To bolster the squad the following additions:

DC- Emmanuel Omrore (he will pair with Nunn as main defensive stalwarts)

DL- Christian Navarro

MC- Cameron Wiltshire (my midfield general)

SC-  Charlie Cole

MLR- Prince M'vumbi

DRC- Tarriq Ossai

GK- Arthur Janata

Loanees for the season:

Jermaine Osei (Wealdstone)- 23 year old SC

Zhenyu He (Notts County)- 17 year old Chinese SC

Coden Duncan (Notts County) - 17 year old MC

We played  a heavy slate of friendlies to get ready for the season. I will post again once we hit mid-season.

Is there anything in particular you can do to get a certain team promoted? 

Ive done about 8 hours of reloading and reholidayed the first season twice to try and get Lancaster promoted

5 minutes ago, dan_lcfc said:

Ive done about 8 hours of reloading and reholidayed the first season twice to try and get Lancaster promoted

Save on June 24th, 2018, then you only have to sim one day each time you reload.

I'm using Lancaster, sorry I don't have a save file available at the start.

EDIT: looks like you were already doing that, sorry.  Re-holidaying shouldn't do anything.  It's just luck.

Edited by Warhawk

1 hour ago, dan_lcfc said:

Not much. Club reputation changes ever so slightly during the year you spend on holiday, so you could keep an eye on the World > England > Clubs list to see if your desired team is shifting upwards or downwards. It will affect your chances of seeing them promoted ever so slightly.

I holiday to June 23rd, then holiday 1 day to the 24th, then save. That way when I reload the save the holidaying menu is already set to "1 day" and I can simply hit OK.

World > England > Overview > Season Summary is relatively quick to get to if your Holiday Man is English. There's no faster way to see who got promoted.

If I don't see one of the teams I want promoted, I hit Ctrl+Shift+R to immediately reload the June 24th save.

It's relatively quick to repeat the last day of holidaying this way, but finding a rare team is always going to be primarily about attrition. :/

I start a new holiday from the very beginning if I see no new teams for a couple of hours or so.

1 hour ago, Warhawk said:

Save on June 24th, 2018, then you only have to sim one day each time you reload.

I'm using Lancaster, sorry I don't have a save file available at the start.

EDIT: looks like you were already doing that, sorry.  Re-holidaying shouldn't do anything.  It's just luck.

27 minutes ago, Scab said:

Not much. Club reputation changes ever so slightly during the year you spend on holiday, so you could keep an eye on the World > England > Clubs list to see if your desired team is shifting upwards or downwards. It will affect your chances of seeing them promoted ever so slightly.

I holiday to June 23rd, then holiday 1 day to the 24th, then save. That way when I reload the save the holidaying menu is already set to "1 day" and I can simply hit OK.

World > England > Overview > Season Summary is relatively quick to get to if your Holiday Man is English. There's no faster way to see who got promoted.

If I don't see one of the teams I want promoted, I hit Ctrl+Shift+R to immediately reload the June 24th save.

It's relatively quick to repeat the last day of holidaying this way, but finding a rare team is always going to be primarily about attrition. :/

I start a new holiday from the very beginning if I see no new teams for a couple of hours or so.

Thank you both, Ive given up for now, I bought the game on Sunday and I havent actually played it yet so Ive started with Lowestoft

Is it normal to only have an under 18s side and no reserves/U23s?

Apparently it's normal for Lowestoft, since I just checked and they don't have a U23 squad in my game, and they're in VNN with me.

Well first season with Buxton didn't go exactly to plan. Relegated and sacked with 2 games left in the season. Definitely underestimated how tough the first season would be. 

Managed to break a record and let in 100 goals throughout the year, safe to say I know what to focus on with new signings next time

Sacking.png

Will be Restarting Challenge.  (Chosen Stourbridge. Hoping to improve on the last attempt)

5a0e1f63d293a_ScreenShot2017-11-16at23_27_44.thumb.png.262f159068f4f5153bc0e7abceac544f.png

Edited by BcfcMez

8 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

Apparently it's normal for Lowestoft, since I just checked and they don't have a U23 squad in my game, and they're in VNN with me.

Looking through the teams there seems to be a number in both VNN/VNS and the VNC. Perhaps there will be an option later on to set one up when finances are better. 

1 minute ago, dan_lcfc said:

Looking through the teams there seems to be a number in both VNN/VNS and the VNC. Perhaps there will be an option later on to set one up when finances are better. 

In previous fm versions i have seen that option where there was no reserve side, it may depend on the level you are at rather than finances.

4 minutes ago, Thebaker said:

In previous fm versions i have seen that option where there was no reserve side, it may depend on the level you are at rather than finances.

There are teams with U23 sides in all of the divisions, just not all of them. I remember always being asked if I wanted to field a reserve side every year but I always said yes. Cant say I noticed what other clubs were doing with theirs. 

Wow, York started off 19-11-2 and had a good 10-point lead for most of the season, with one game to go they're on a 2-1-6 run and just gave up 1st place for the first time since mid-November (and they had also led from late August to early October).  We're sitting in 6th at 65 points, between us, FC United (64) and Gainsborough (63) for the last 2 playoff spots.  Unfortunately I have an away game at Boston Utd who are the new leaders.  And have won 7 straight.

EDIT: Well, we got our butts kicked, but Gainsborough lost to 3rd place Blyth, so we're in the playoffs.  York lost AGAIN.  By 3.  To 11th-place FC Halifax.

Edited by Warhawk

So after the two and a half seasons at Whitby town that was ended by being sacked by the board, I have restarted the challenge with all UK and Ireland leagues loaded this time.
I have learned a lot about the struggles that I went through at Whitby Town and I am hoping to learn from my mistakes to do much better in the second attempt with a new club.

I can now announce that Alessandro Lorenzo is the new manager of.... Marine :cool:

Fm1.thumb.png.c7354af4b0134aa5e45631ae6ee03798.png

Full opening post to follow.

5pmMB7S.png

Lancaster City

Vanarama National League North 2018-2019

Year-End Update

Calendar

HFHL5agm.jpg     jIF1X5Ym.jpg

Competitions

Vanarama National League North

We signed a whole bunch of players to try to get the first team in shape for the VNN, to some mixed results.  We were fairly successful putting together a group of strikers (Jeremiah Dasaolu, William Dunne, and Bailey Whalley) who, though individually inconsistent, took turns showing up with strong games.  Dunne scored 26 times, Dasaolu 23 (along with 12 assists), and Whalley 19.  We also brought in Adam Boyes on loan early in 2019, which was useful because I spend most of the second half of the season with one of them injured, and Boyes contributed 12 goals and 6 assists.  My existing midfield was reasonably strong, and while several signees contributed, clearly the biggest addition was left midfielder Bailey Prudhoe.  Our defensive additions were less effective, most notably left and right backs Jordan Mills and Tylor Gordon, who were both very disappointing.  Rob Henry and Adam Sumner, the incumbent players at that position, ended up starting most of our games, and were at least somewhat more serviceable.  Alex Kitchen was a very good signing at center back, but Kyle Clarke took a long time to get settled, Tom Hilton played horribly and is on my U23 squad, and late-season addition Oran Thompson didn't exactly light the world on fire (though he was good enough to stick in the rotation at least).  We did take on a couple loanee defenders but their performance didn't constitute an upgrade so I eventually terminated their loans.

After a brief slow start putting us at 0-2-1 we performed reasonably well for most of the first half of our schedule.  Strangely, after our third match we went on a nearly 5-month stretch without a draw, going 12-0-7 in the league in that span.  The second half was more streaky, with a poor stretch in mid-January into February and another poor stretch in mid-to-late March interrupted by a 3-0-1 stretch in February and a 3-2-0 month of April.  Our highest position was 4th at several points in September and October, while our lowest position after the month of August was 11th.  From mid-February to the end of the season we were never higher than 6th or lower than 7th, though we vacillated between being closer to the teams ahead of us and closer to the teams behind us.

Despite losing our last 2 matches we backed into the playoffs in the last spot, where we unfortunately couldn't get much going in our match at Nuneaton and lost 1-0.

Final Table

3ncEEWPm.jpg

FA Cup

Our run in the FA cup was no doubt the highlight of our season.  We kicked things off with a strong 4-0 win home against Shaw Lane, followed by a poor performance in a 1-0 win at home against Needham Market.  In the Fourth Qualifying Round we drew Woking at home (who are being demoted from the National League), winning 4-1 in a match that was probably a bit closer than the score.  We followed that up with a televised home match against Torquay (who narrowly avoided relegation from the VNL themselves) which we won 2-1 in an almost perfectly even match, with each team accumulating the same number of shots, shots on target, fouls, and yellow cards, and only very slight differences in possession and passing rate.  Another relatively even match at home against Blyth in the Second Round finished with a 3-1 win for us, before we drew an away game at PL-squad Burnley in the Third Round.  While they were clearly the better team, I was not entirely unhappy with a 2-0 loss.  For our efforts, we were recognized as the competition's biggest overachievers.

FA Trophy

Our FA trophy run was a bit shorter than our FA cup run, but still successful.  We scored 4 goals in each of our first 3 games, against Norwich Utd, rivals Chorley, and Wingate & Finchley.  In the Third Round we ran into a pretty good VNL team in Guiseley and lost 2-1 in extra time.

Squad & Awards

jCgLwIkm.jpg

William Dunne missed over 10 weeks and only had 3 goals in 2019 and still ended up as our top goalscorer and our player of the season, having accumulated 23 goals prior to his first long-term injury in December.  Other than that our injuries were pretty spread around, with most of our strikers and midfielders missing 3 or 4 weeks at some point, though usually not at the same time.  Though his injuries left him only 9th in the league standings for goals scores, Dunne did have the lowest minutes per goal.  Alex Kitchen proved to be a successful defender, accumulating the fifth most tackles per game, fourth most key tackles, third most key headers, second most interceptions made, and most shots blocked.  Unfortunately, our goalkeeper, Cheetham, allowed the most goals - that said, he also had the most saves held and the fourth most saves parries, so I don't particularly blame him.

Statistically, as a team, we scored the 4th most goals with 80, but allowed the second most with 74.  Our possession and pass completion ratio were near the bottom of the league, but we had the highest percentage of shots on target and were fairly successful on our cross and corner attempts.  We did not defense set pieces well, but one thing we did do was tackle successfully a high percentage of the time (4th in the league).

Our players (and myself as well) received a variety of awards, listed below.

Fans' & Manager's Player of the Season: William Dunne

Fans' & Manager's Signing of the Season: William Dunne

Fans' & Manager's Young Player of the Season: William Dunne

October Player of the Month (Jeremiah Dasaolu)

November Player of the Month (William Dunne)

Third Place for Manager of the Month (April)

Manager of the Season

State of the Club

po2gF94m.jpg

From a financial perspective, the club had a loss of approximately $86,000 last season, mostly because I spent way too much on scouting.  We have been given a slightly increased payroll budget of $5,730 per week (approximately $1,500 higher than last season) which, combined with several players who we re-signed to less expensive non-contract deals, will give us room to make any necessary acquisitions.  I plan to let Rob Henry (who is also the assistant coach, and not particularly good at the job), Adam Sumner, and possibly Jordan Mills, all fullbacks, leave at the end of the season and prioritize those positions in my signings for next year.  The increased payroll budget has allowed me to re-sign Sam Bailey, arguably my best non-striker, whose demands were previously too high compared to the maximum contract I was able to offer for us to come to an agreement.  I'm considering keeping Chris Cheetham in goal but would like to look at the market, and I may see if Adam Boyes (who is transfer listed with an expiring contract) may be a realistic option.  I do have some players who seem to have good potential in my youth squads and may consider whether to bring one or more of them up.

The board has announced plans to build a new stadium, as our current stadium, Giant Axe, is apparently old and has high maintenance costs.

At the end of the season, I completed my National B license.

Our average attendance for the season was 397, last in the league.  Our best attendance at a home game was our televised FA Cup game against Torquay with over 1,200 in attendance, and we had over 1,000 traveling fans for our FA Cup game at Burnley.

My goals for the upcoming season are as follows:

• Make Playoffs
  • Reach the FA Cup 1st Round.
  • Reach the FA Trophy 2nd Round.

Season	 League			Finish  Achievements
2017-18	 Vanarama  North	7th     Playoffs

Started as Dulwich last night, will get some screenshots up later but I've been able to sign players far too good for this level including Kylian Hazard (Eden's brother).  Simen Møller at Biggleswade United looks like an amazing player for the level too, says he is a good League Two player.

40 minutes ago, The Art of Drowning said:

Started as Dulwich last night, will get some screenshots up later but I've been able to sign players far too good for this level including Kylian Hazard (Eden's brother).  Simen Møller at Biggleswade United looks like an amazing player for the level too, says he is a good League Two player.

Lol, took a look at Møller didn't know he was in the game. He is a Premier League commentator for Norwegian TV2. He played a few months for Biggleswade, making a documentary for the channel. He should never be that good. I think he played some decent football in the past, but he quit focusing on football.

Billericay_Town_F.C._Logo.png.0f2ba6b0fffcbfb48eac8ecfd0b7e8de.png

After doing the Dafuge challenge in FM2014, coming back to this again this edition of FM18. Starting the save game with Billericay Town F.C.

Billericay Town has hired an unknown Indian manager!

5a0ed4625bdc0_ChiragVadgama_MyProfileProfile.thumb.png.36db2b6195503b52748a5ef3b9df163b.png

Hoping for a good one!

Edited by Prank Emperor

16 minutes ago, TheEarl said:

Lol, took a look at Møller didn't know he was in the game. He is a Premier League commentator for Norwegian TV2. He played a few months for Biggleswade, making a documentary for the channel. He should never be that good. I think he played some decent football in the past, but he quit focusing on football.

Yeah was just reading that on his wiki, he was a similar standard on FM17 too.  Interesting setup at Biggleswade United by the looks of things, they have Guilleme Balague as Director of Football.

Tried to give them both a sign, Hazard as a loan wouldnt come to me :(, Moller would but i couldn't afford his wages!

Rushallolympicfc.png

Rushall Olympic FC

My first attempt at this challenge starting at this moment, and hopefully I can bring glory to Rushall Olympic in the coming years. The club is semi-professional and newly promoted to Vanarama National League North. Founded 125 years ago, I really hope to give them a worthy celebration. The home ground is Dales Lane in Walsall, with a capacity of 2500.

Manager profile

Let the journey begin!

21 minutes ago, DizzyIzzyB13 said:

I'm still reloading, but I noticed this for the first time and though @MikaelS would be interested... https://imgur.com/0KwybQd

Whau solid win there for Chippenham. Is that VNS?

And Oxford relegated? I would have though they were stronger than that!

Dulwichhamlet.thumb.png.6ac8a46bcf38a80ce7513ab91d5e2c47.png

2019-20 - Vanarama National

As per previous post - am doing the youth academy challenge....

An incredible 2nd season, a late season collapse nearly cost me a spot in the play offs, but when I snuck into 7th I didn't look back and as goals rained in I managed to win the play offs quite incredibly!

Yet again Faal was player of the season - 35 goals, and an incredible 37 assists!

Facilities are much improved as I can't sign anyone - link. And here is the League Table, and my Squad Overview

Onwards into League 2, with no signings....!

Season  |  League   | Pos.  |  FA Cup  |  CL      |   EL       |  Top scorer        |  Top assists        |    Top rating        | Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19 |  Van Sth  |  1    |  4Q      |  n/a     |  n/a       |  Faal (37)         |  Benson/Faal (19)   |    Faal (7.54)       | Promoted
2019/20 |  Van Ntl  |  7    |  1       |  n/a     |  n/a       |  Faal (35)         |  Faal (37)          |    Faal (7.67)       | Promoted