dafuge's FM18 challenge

I'm a bit more optimistic in mine...currently (Season 2) sitting 3rd (30 points from15 matches).  We beat #2 Dartford and drew w/ #1 Bognor Regis.  Of course...I'd rather not bother with playoffs...but at least it feels we can compete w/ the top teams :)

Good luck in the rest of the season @wynter

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, G_D_K said:

Congrats Fade!  Finally, a non-Billericay promotion!  (apologies to those other non-Billericay promotions I may have missed/forgotten about!)

XaW has managed Marine to League 2.

Hypanmiz has managed Hereford to League 2

Makovn has managed Billericay to League 2

They are the 3 most progressed as far as I know.

Fadedaf has manged Merthyr Town to VNL

The_Gato_in_Goal has managed Shaw Lane to VNL

wynter has managed Stalybridge to VNL

The Earl has managed Billericay to VNL

I have probably missed some promotions, sorry.

Burgess Hill Town Season Summary 2018-19

Burgess Hill Town F.C. logo.png

Final Position 2nd

Squad - Table - Transfers - Profile - Finances

A season with a new and interesting learning curve. For me, I found, that finding a tactic and really learning/tweaking it was the key to success. Played a 4-1-2-3 DM Wide with alternate positions in terms of WB, Anchorman and IF. Had a great defense in comparison to other league contenders. Also maintaining a good Match Cohesion made winning games a lot easier. From December and onwards, it wasn't an issue whether or not we would make the playoffs, but what position we would end. Hampton&Richmond was almost untouchable in the league. A final position of 2nd and a really bad game, where we lost 2-0 to Chippenham in the playoff final. see us for a new season in VNS. Am quite confident going into next season, and if morale can be kept high, a long with a couple of new signings it looks promising.

The Cup runs was really good. Was knocked out in FA 2nd round away to Blackburn with a 4-1 loss, but went all the way to the final in the FAT where we played Kidderminster, who ended 4th in VNL. We were up 2-0. With a goal in 83d and 95th it was onto extra time followed by penalties where we got lucky and lifted our first trophy.

The Squad itself is pretty consistent of young players from bigger clubs, with only a few from the original team. Did have quite many transfers in, hoping to find the "right" 11 - but also from the theory that maintaining a solid physical condition would be a key - and often it was. In many games the opposition would start with players in their "80's" where we would be in the higher "90's"

A bright look into the future seems to be this years youth team.

Season          League          Position       FA Cup          FA Trophy          Carabao Cup          Euro         

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018/19         Vanarama South  2nd           2nd round        Winner     	  NA       	       NA

1 hour ago, MikaelS said:

@Dons did Chippenham promote?

I am actually surprised they reached that high in the league, so I'm curious to know how they did :)

@MikaelS If I remember, will post an update about them - just for you!

@makovn cheers - i have high hopes for the coming season.

18 hours ago, makovn said:

Thanks. how is it going for you in the national league?

I have been very busy IRL lately so not played so much.

But it looks good, too good maybe. The club as I hinted went through a takeover. So the rich VNL team got even richer with a business tycoon. I can now spend wages in VNL like a Top League One team. The difference is that there is not really a lot of quality players who want our astute wages. Still the team I got should be more than good enough for VNL. Played 2 matches won both.

image.png.6fdb304b5a20d4171aadb100aab51122.png

Season 2018-2019

Thought I'd give this one a try this year. Last season I had a go with Dorchester, made it to the Premier League, but never won! 

Season summary

A good team with some quality players from the start and made some good free transfer signings. My loan signings didnt do to well, except from my GK, hope I can sign him on a bosman,

League: Won the league, VNLS, with 11 points margin. Played a little unconsistent in the first half of the season and got very lucky in a bunch of games. Adjusted to a more direct style of play and that really paid off. 

League Table

FA Cup: Beat Newport Co, Hartlepool and Forest Green to make it to the 4th round. Then we got Manchester United at Old Trafford so that was obviously the end of the line!! Lost 7-0 against what was basically Man Utd's U19 team (and Rashford and Romero), but the payoff of around £1 million was fantastic. On a side note though, I didnt get all the money, as the board was so embarassed with the result they refunded my fans ticket money :( Bit strange, but whatever! 

Player of the season was without a doubt Steven Hewitt. Signed him on a free transfer, and he finished the season on a 7,55 average as a ball winning midfielder, which is a really strong performance. 

Stewen Hewitt

Next season

I've gotten a fairly good wage budget, but our salaries will naturally increase a lot due to contract clauses after the promotion. I want to keep the core of the team, as of now my only loanee that plays regularly is my goalkeeper. So hopefully with 4-5 good players on loan we can finish mid-table or higher in the Vanarama National. 

59 minutes ago, Scab said:

I don't suppose anyone's had success defending situations like this?

I'm the team in blue. Can't seem to get anyone to mark the opponent lurking whatever I set the Indirect (Wide) defending to. :(

Don't know since i concede a lot from those positions, set everyone to man mark maybe? Put them all on the halfway line to catch the other team offside :D

1 hour ago, Scab said:

Or maybe not.

I think this is the first time I have a player retire early!

Ouch, two years out and then retire. Been living the life on his contract with you!

Congrats to all the others who have been promoted and wishings of luck to the ones who didn't.

Seeing more people do the jump past VNL reinforce my belief that it's not all that different from the regional ones. 

Would like to encourage all active users here to check out the awards thread. So far no nominations for Dafuge, so would recommend someone who enjoys this challenge to nomintate Dafuge for voting later this year.

Link to the awards thread: 

50 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

So the game comes out tomorrow and l am all set. Got the day off work and planning to start this challenge. just need to find something to keep the GF away for the day :D

So I have been looking through the possible teams and Marine is the one that stands out for me as being quite a local team to me. Whitby also is a possibility as I enjoy going there on short little breaks at least once a year and is a lovely place. Would be nice to see a Whitby game next time I am up there too.

Getting excited now :D

17 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

So I have been looking through the possible teams and Marine is the one that stands out for me as being quite a local team to me. Whitby also is a possibility as I enjoy going there on short little breaks at least once a year and is a lovely place. Would be nice to see a Whitby game next time I am up there too.

Getting excited now :D

I saw both Marine and Whitby come up so you should be able to get either of those quite easily. Marine came up a lot.

13 hours ago, Upside Down said:

XaW has managed Marine to League 2.

Hypanmiz has managed Hereford to League 2

Makovn has managed Billericay to League 2

They are the 3 most progressed as far as I know.

Fadedaf has manged Merthyr Town to VNL

The_Gato_in_Goal has managed Shaw Lane to VNL

wynter has managed Stalybridge to VNL

The Earl has managed Billericay to VNL

I have probably missed some promotions, sorry.

I've been relegated 3 seasons in a row with different teams :)

Oops complete collapse in form defenders unable to defend - midfield can't pass - strikers can't hit the back of the net :)

That's it I'm done for a while,

1st game since the go live got cuffed 5-1 by Torquay Utd we both had 5 shots on target.

I'm now in shock - actually got a win :)

cham2_zpsbxyaqaja.jpg

League  -  SquadDynamicsTransfers  - Finances

Whilst never up to the standards of the top three Altrincham enjoyed a successful season within the Vanarama National North . A lethal front three combined with a porous defense meant fans were never short of entertainment at Moss Lane. Central Striker and link up man James Poole  lead the league in several categories and the maintaining of his services will be vital in the quest for promotion next season.  In the playoffs Altrincham defeated Blyth Spartans before losing out to Alfreton Town in the semi final. In the Cup there were wins over Atherton Colleries and Leek Town before a shock home defeat to Harrogate Town in the 4th Qualifying Round.  The FA Trophy was an example that we don't have a squad good enough to rest players even in opening rounds.

Plans for next season is to keep things as their are though replace 3 members of my back 4 ,  Questions marks over my keeper but it will depend on whats available

Elsewhere in Football , Man United obtained 100 points to secure their second successive title also winning Champions League ,  Chelsea beat Watford 1-0 to win the Carabao Cup and Tottenham denied Man United the treble claiming the FA Cup

cham1_zpsy6ibqftp.jpg

And so it begins... I have reloaded and reloaded to see who come first... Whitby or Marine.... and the winner is......

17 Reloads and we finally get our club.. Proud to Announce Alessandro Lorenzo as the new manager of Whitby Town FC.

Full introduction to follow. Just need to pack my suitcase and put my house on the market because we are off to North Yorkshire!

Fm1.png

NEW-web-icon.png

Whitby Town FC

Manager Background:

Alessandro Lorenzo was born in Liverpool on 22-Dec-1983 and has grown up supporting Liverpool FC. The 34 year old has been locked away in his bedroom playing virtual management sims for over 20 years and all that hard work and mouse clicking has paid off after today he was announced the manager of Whitby Town FC. After sending in a CV to the club for the position of 'Reserve Team kit Manager', the club asked him to attend an interview for the position of first team manager after seeing his past experience playing Football Manager and decided to take a chance on the unknown 34 year old.

The club chairman Graham Manser today announced that Lorenzo would be taking over with immediate effect following the clubs promotion to the Vanarama National League North for the 2018/2019 season. Only after this appointment that some rumors about Lorenzo being the only candidate to turn up for the interview after the other 3 candidates all came down with a mystery illness just hours before the interview process. Lorenzo has officially signed one year contract on £375 per week.

Club Overview:

Whitby town FC are a Semi-Professional club based in North Yorkshire. They play there football at the Turnball Ground that has a capacity of 2,680 but only 622 of those are seated. The club's colors are somewhat distinct in English Football and are intentionally similar to Italian side Sampdoria, wearing a blue shirt with a touch of white, black and red.

Founded in 1880, Whitby are one of the oldest clubs from the North Riding of Yorkshire, the club has spent their entire history in the amateur and semi-professional leagues, though they have reached the second round of the FA Cup in both 1984 and 1986. Whitby's rivals include: Blyth Spartans, Scarborough, Guisborough and Whitley bay. The club charge just £10 a ticket and you can pick up a season ticket for just £143. The club has £30,000 in the bank but no debts or loans to note.

First Impressions:

My first impressions of the team is that we only have 6 players on part time contracts and the other 12 players are on a pay per game rolling contract. 18 players in the first team and the under 18's is non existent right now. We do have some good looking players to build the team around including: Former Middlesbrough players GK - Shane Bland (23) and Left Winger - Cameron Park (25), Former Doncaster Rovers DC - Ben Askins (22) . We will defiantly need to bring in some players as we don't have any decent DR or DL in the club and we lack that quality in the center of midfield. But with a transfer budget of £0 and a wage budget of £4,000 (£2,300 Remaining) we will need to be wise about our transfers and bring in players to give the squad some depth and strength in numbers.

Season One Targets:

Strengthen the team in key areas, Finish above the relegation zone (Predicted 22nd), Sign a new extended contract at the club and bring some money into the bank via friendlies.

Fm1.png

So, It's 1:30am but by-god I've done it....

Logo

THURROCK FC

Profile | Squad

There's at least SOMETHING to work with in that squad, lots of tweaking and tactics and a staff overhaul to come. I do realise I've jumped in right at the deep end here, but I'm up for a solid challenge on this years game. I think I'll be doing a few days solid work on a tactic (as I'm not the greatest in that area) and fitness coaching. After that I'll follow a few of the tips I've picked up in this thread and see how the first season goes. 

After sleep.

As a final point, here's the inspiration for me starting with The Fleet - my visit in August this year. Immaculate pitch, great football and a good bar. :)

rSqUanQ.jpg

With full release I'm heading straight to my main save so Stalybridge are now on Hiatus. Hope everyone has a blast with this though and will definitely be watching how you guys get on :)

With release I'll be updating my thread in page one with another batch of release saves....so if  you're looking for a specific team and don't want to holiday forever for it, you might check to see if I've found them!

Also this is a good spot to remind everyone of our steam community group....usually a few of us in the chat at any time...drop in and let us know how you're getting along in the challenge, talk about FM, or games in general!  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dafugechallenge

And on a personal note...check out my newly affiliated twitch.tv/Castinar channel for some live FM2018 over the course of the next few weeks.  Live commentary on full matches....so don't expect quick progress through any given season!

Good luck and happy release day everybody!

Been a while since I last tried this challenge I think. Anyway, just took over Tonbridge, The Angels. Yes, I took over the club just because of their nickname. I'm weird like that. It's either nice logo, cool uniform or cool nickname for me.

hqyoqGo.jpg

Tonbridge Angels

Geraint Alacarde has just been hired as the new manager of Tonbridge Angels. The team plays their home games at Longmead Stadium.

The transfer budget is £0, while the wage budget is £3.572k, and current wages are £1,266 p/w. So looks like I have to dig through the alleys for free transfers.

EEcnpLv.jpg

Interesting times in Northamptonshire, Marcus Law was was sacked and virtual unknown, yankee Dangly McBalls was given the job. His introduction to the team was less than stable, players wanted to leave en-mass, the fans were unsure about him and no one wanted to join the team. Thus begins the American's journey on a tough note. 

League Table | Squad | Transfers | Dynamics | Finances 

Season 1 Target

Dangly McBalls was sure of himself even though others doubted him, from the beginning he had said his aim was to firmly place Kettering FC in mid-table, and depending on incoming transfers he'd push the team towards a play-off place. He absolutely underestimated how tough it was going to be to recruit players to fulfill his vision. Having to contend with free players for the most part (finding no takers from decent loanees), he at one point was willing to concede a mid-to-low table finish as beating expectations. 

That was before the fiery team meeting he had in January 2019. With the team languishing at 16th position he went all out, sparing no one. In the process he lost some support from influential team members, but gained significant support from the Board (who rewarded him with a new contract) AND fringe players, who then went on to string together a good run of form which ended with them just missing out a play-off position by 1 point. 

"Our target for this season was to maintain our position in this league, and maybe push for promotion. I strongly believe we did much better than many had thought we could, and with 1 whole season under my belt I can now start to put out teams I am comfortable with. The players are starting to play according to my vision for the team, and this will hopefully mean positive results for the upcoming season" - Dangly McBalls

On 27/10/2017 at 06:56, G_D_K said:

It might be temporary, as I might find a team I'm more interested in when I do my release-day set of saves...but for now I'll give it a start.

Gosport Borough have taken the chance at hiring an American with ties back to England but with little playing or managerial experience:  51 yo Galen Kantz

Time will tell if the board has made a wise move.

Gosport start with 13 senior players (3 of which are goalkeepers), no U18 players.  3 coaches (inc. 2 GK coaches) and the AssMan are all on expired contracts --- and none wish to remain with the newly promoted club.  The team also has 0 scouts and 0 physios.

The 4,500 capacity stadium seats 800, but was built in 1944 and is showing signs of it's age.  The team has basic corporate facilities, Poor training and youth facilities, a youth level of 0, Fairly Basic junior coaching and limited youth recruitment facilities.

Let's hope that the chariman, who is enjoying times at the club and intends on being around for a long time, has quite a bit of patience!

On a positive note, we've got some wage budget room (spending £636/wk out of £3125/wk allowed), although we have 0 transfer budget.  We also have an affiliation with rival neighbor Portsmouth...so perhaps we will be able to pick up some loanees as the season progresses.

On the schedule, the Oct. 27th meeting with fierce rival Havant & Waterlooville is the date to mark on the calendar!

I'll need to have a dig in the editor for some of that.  Gosport have a decent youth setup for the level.  Plus Privett Park has a capacity of 5000

Image result for weymouth fc

Weymouth FC - 2018-2019

Not a particular exciting season but a steady one to build from. Outside of a few wobbles sat at 16th for pretty much the entire season. Cup wise we where knocked out in both the FA cup and the FA trophy by Woking. 4th Qualifying round and 1st round respectively.

All of this performance was pretty reliant on Loan  performances with both my top goal scorer and highest average rating being on loan players.

Top Goal scorer - Jack Sell

Highest Average rating - Cameron Sangstar

Squad

End of Season Confidence

League Table League Overview

Season Review

End of Season Awards

As an aside for anyone looking at this.  Gosport Borough are currently playing shockingly abysmally with the worst record in the top 8 levels of English football.  

I'll be taking them on soon. 

7 hours ago, G_D_K said:

With release I'll be updating my thread in page one with another batch of release saves....so if  you're looking for a specific team and don't want to holiday forever for it, you might check to see if I've found them!

Also this is a good spot to remind everyone of our steam community group....usually a few of us in the chat at any time...drop in and let us know how you're getting along in the challenge, talk about FM, or games in general!  http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dafugechallenge

And on a personal note...check out my newly affiliated twitch.tv/Castinar channel for some live FM2018 over the course of the next few weeks.  Live commentary on full matches....so don't expect quick progress through any given season!

Good luck and happy release day everybody!

I just want to highlight this group again. It sometimes can be a bit quiet but usually we have lots of fun and a lot of talk about teams, players, tactics etc.

So please join (and ignore the 12 in the name ;))

Archived