dafuge's FM18 challenge

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a non-league fan, I can confirm that another league was added below the VNN/S to try and even things out, but-ystem is rubbish really as teams that win their playoffs in divs 7 and 8 aren't even guaranteed promotion irl!! Teams are unbalanced so there's a superplayoff to decide which ones actually go up and which unlucky ones don't... Obviously won't have an effect on which ones go up for this challenge, but irritating irl and if that rule is included in any non-league databases...

59 minutes ago, Warhawk said:

Alright I'll keep an eye on it

ah, no worries, it was our fault for starting late. I wanted to get it finished by the time of retail release as well and that's not looking likely tbh. I might keep it going a bit longer, it's been fun so far - just wish I'd started it a few moths earlier!

Well, didn't complete the challenge (think I probably needed at least three more seasons tbh, City are miles ahead of me), but the final season was also an historic one for Whitby.

1IpT4i0.png

A loss away to Wednesday on the 37th matchweek and a United draw on the final day meant we missed the top 4, but we did set our new high league position.

vlSW475.pngDL6X8Pm.png

Cruised to the semifinals of the Europa League where we ran into a challenge but made it through to face Tottenham in the Finals (held at City of Manchester stadium), where 61,000 lucky fans got to see us earn qualification to the Champions League. It's the first trophy we had won since the 2022 FA Trophy. Three days later we had another big game:

Bz6ObuJ.png

Honestly we were ripped apart by City but our keeper stood huge and it looked like we had the winner in Mejia's first game back after twisting his ankle in the Europa semifinal. City weren't done though and forced extra time where they had chance after chance. In the end it was a scramble for the ball where Marzec beat City's keeper by half a second and poked it home which completed an unexpected double for us.

Many records were broken for us this year, clean sheets (previously held by Sam Johnstone in 2020 in the Vanarama North), goals (2022), and assists (also 2022 by the same player, Reece Webb-Foster). I'll make sure to start this earlier for FM19 so I have more time to finish :P

Burgess_Hill_Town_F.C._logo.png.c4cc71f78de12b2fa7b3286953ece1dd.png

Season 2036/37

Premier League

League

Expectation:         1th 

Finish:                 2nd

Our most consistent season yet. Although we finished second we never really threatened the title but then we never fell out of the top four either. We snatched second with 5 victories from our final 5 games, including victories against Man City and title winners Spurs. It bodes well for next season!

Cups

Fairly early exits in both competitions

Transfers

I realy went for it this season splashing out 100m on new players., most of who were successful buys. We looked strong throughout the team for the first time in years

Finances

Despite a transfer deficit of -70m we still only made a 30m loss and still have 50m sat in the bank. Another stadium upgrade sees Burgess Hill Stadium now with a capacity of 20k. It’s looking really healthy for us!

Notable players

Jose Maria Villanueva – struggled to make the Real Madrid first team and so chose to leave on a free. We broke our wage structure to get him and it was the best decision we made. Looks like a cracking player

Goran Cerina – Turned provider more than goalscorer. Our coaches assure me he’s our first truly world class player. The difficult part will be keeping hold of him, but European football will definitely help

Diego Camargo - the main beneficiary from Cerina's assists. The old wonderkid is really building on that early promise and looking the real deal. 

Next season

Can we make that step up and win the title?

I know I gave myself a deadline of Nov 2 but I'm getting so close and having so much fun I might sneakily extend it a bit. It seems a bit naughty with the FM19 challenge already up but what can you do?

Burgess_Hill_Town_F.C._logo.png.efc4309e58eb6af120a80991e1cc43e9.png

Season 2037/38

Premier league

League

Expectation:       8   

Finish:                 1

We did it! First half of the challenge complete! We made a great start to the season but I didn’t really fancy us as real title challengers until November when we went away to Chelsea and did this:-

ten!!!!.JPG.6ce430314f25de3a06280f57fb061136.JPG

It was tight at the top and with 5 gmes left we were one point ahead of Spurs. We had four away games, including at Spurs and Man U, with our only home game against fellow title challengers Arsenal. We managed to sneak a 2-1 win away at Spurs but then lost at Southampton. Luckily Sprus lost again and we were crowned champions just before we went and lost at Old Trafford.

We managed to win with the lowest point total since 2018 with only 77, which wouldn’t have even got us in the top four in at least 5 previous seasons, and we basically won by default. Spures lost 4 of their last 6, Arsenal won 0 of the last 7 and Man City only won 2 of their last 7. But they all count!

Cups

Our first foray into the champions league was fun! We were drawn into the same group as a strong Monaco side, Barcelona and Dinamo Kiev. Our first match saw us win 1-0 at Monco while our opening European home game saw us beat Barcelona by the same score. We won the group at a canter, winning all 6 games. We then got Dortmund and beat the home and away. The quarter finals saw us draw Spurs, who promptly won the first leg at our place 4-0.

It was fun but we still got a way to go.

Arsenal and Manchester Ciity both offered me interviews. I’ve finally made it!

Transfers

Farily quiet, just two big signings, including Liam Freedman, a wonderkid from Celtic. We're already preparing for next season by splashing thirty million on this dutch wonderkid before the season was even over.

Finances

Made a 55m profit thanks to our European adventures. We were also the subject of another consortium takeover and now have over 100m in the bank

Notable players

Goran Cerina - really showed his value this season, a ture world class player. 32 goals from 43 starts.

Liam Freedman - splashed out 30m on this wonderkid from Celtic. totally worth it

Roberto Padilla - found this 18 yr old playing in Argentina who loked amazing. got him for 11.75m in January to find him already labelled a wonderkid. Gradually introducing him to the team but he looks amazing already

Next season

With an average age of 24 this team is gonna be aound for a while. I'm gonna stick with it and see if i can complete the challenge but now the FM19 thread is up and running I'll only update should I actually do it. Given I once got relegated to the Vanarama South and was one game away from the sack (on at least 3 occassions I reckon) I'm amazed I even managed to complete half the challenge!

career.thumb.JPG.22e7323f0c157117d3922c3859f025b0.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Archived