Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

Message added by Neil Brock

Has anyone playing on commentary only had the game freeze and go non responsive?

Just now, AJJ said:

Has anyone playing on commentary only had the game freeze and go non responsive?

Please post this in the bugs forum.

I started a game with nearly every league loaded, i.e. including the Swedish leagues with tiny tiny rep, and made myself no badges and Sunday league rep.

Got interviews at Houston and Vancouver. Fair enough I didn't get the jobs but no way should I be getting those interviews! My character is 2nd nationality American but still.

No save file from the time, game now progressed 6 months or so. The two MLS interviews were the only anomalys, Tranmere and Tours probably the next highest to show interest which isn't egregious.

Same as I've said for years though, there should be a setting whereby you can ONLY get hired by the worst clubs in your game.

Edited by Per Annum

Just now, Per Annum said:

I started a game with nearly every league loaded, i.e. including the Swedish leagues with tiny tiny rep, and made myself no badges and Sunday league rep.

Got interviews at Houston and Vancouver. Fair enough I didn't get the jobs but no way should I be getting those interviews! My character is 2nd nationality American but still.

This is also a bug and should be reported in the bugs forum.

Just now, Per Annum said:

Worth posting in the bugs forum so that it can be investigated/explained :thup:

@ElPayaso Precisely that trash that's making people complaing about when their opponents needs fewer shots (it typically negatively impacts his scoring ratio too). I struggle to see how anybody watching football can't see how that's how no football team plays, until this was done on purpose (not watched the beginning talk). 8 players pushed in front of the opposition goal..... right. The counter attacking in general has oft been a weak area though... maybe SI should stress test this like that guy a couple days ago did, taking over two sides and gaming their tactical setup with man marking duties so that the defending team would defend with 2 CBs against 6 attackers (if that is feasible, mind, and useful for a "normal" simulation. Both midfielders on support can still be comparable sensible in their forward runs initially, I'd like to see this with both of them on attack too. Apparently not even the red blinking warning signs introduced by FM 2017 on the tactical screen are enough to keep him from the misery. :)

Btw, admittedly it's but Steam, but glancing at the average Steam feedback this/each year makes me pessimistic about this game's future -- not so much because of any criticism, but the underlying nature of it all, and the demands expressed in between the lines. There's one popular review arguing there'd be heavy demand for "less realistic results" even (presumably sides not losing if they have more possession and shots, even if it's Liverpool, or forwards not missing 70% of their big chances, even if it's Arsenal, and even if thanks to Opta we know that's precisely what they do). To be fair, that is Steam. I'm still somewhat hopeful that the following could improve this: better feedback, more stats, more transparent UI as to what you are actually instructing on the pitch, better stats, better explanation/benchmarks of stats, perhaps even a little coaching course in the main menu, assistants, injury rates that can be adjusted a la OOTPB, more customization and fixing of a few game issues. Plus maybe it's always been like that. No idea!

Edited by Svenc

32 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

I think that something that we see here is all good example about how badly wrong the game still is. He loses and concedes a lot like expected but basically Liverpool aren't hitting them on a break even against that kind of system. Would expect something like 10-0 beating. I think that the first three goals are good and legit but after that for me it's kinda horrendous. Like the things with throw ins (free pick up instead of properly marked), defenders not closing down the strikers and defending generally being all over the place inside the penalty area. And there certainly still are those cases where players ghost through the defenders like we can for example see in that Henderson goal and Mane highlight after that.

I have never seen anything as bad in terms of defending IRL. Not even when teams concede 7-8. The centre backs especially seem completely clueless in every basic way of the defending. Especially if you look at Matip's performance against Dembele. Any player shouldn't destroy a centre back like Dembele does during this game, especially considering the fact that Matip probably is considerably better player than Dembele is. 

It would be worth breaking this down into individual issues and posting, along with accompanying PKMs, in the ME bugs forum please. In its current state there isn't much the ME team can do with your post unfortunately.

Some early thoughts:

The UI changes almost all make actions require more button clicks than before. Obviously not a good decision. The UI is also riddled with visual bugs and glitches. Ok, it's beta, but after a year of development, and very little change in this area, it doesn't reflect well on the developers.

The new tactics screen is also really poorly designed. Same with the new match day experience. Specifically there are a lot of very bad choices when it comes to size and visibility of buttons, as well as consistency in the UI, and what the user expects vs. what's required. It's also obvious that different people made different parts of the UI, without good general guidelines and coordination.

Match engine (these are general trends I keep seeing, when watching full matches, over and over):

- Players in certain positions (AML and AMR, possibly others) are positioning themselves very weirdly. Sometimes wingers will drop down almost to the backs, for no obvious reason.

- Mark specific player is completely ignored a lot of the time

- Players are closing down really strangely. I can have an MC with full closing down, hard tackling and good work rate/bravery/aggression, and he's still just standing around, meters from the ball carrier

- Keepers are still saving the ball several meters wide of the goal, and holding the ball while diving or shuffling across the line, for a corner. This has been in the game for several years.

- Dribbling over the sideline is back. I think I saw this about 5 times in a match from my LB Alex Sandro. Just put your back on attacking and dribble often, and watch him go.

- Players aren't quite aware enough of their surroundings, and too often a pass will hit the heels of a player who is running in the opposite direction, completely clueless of what's going on. Might be hard to ameliorate, but this has also been an issue for years, now.

Lastly, a lot of things feel a bit off in the match engine. I'm gonna mention them all here, as they're not exactly must-fix-issues, but it seems like the match engine has taken a turn for the worse in these areas. Shots, passing and first touches all feel strange and sluggish for players with high attributes. I feel like even the world's best players have really bad technique. Efforts from players with 18+ technique and long shots go 10 meters wide, even when the players are not under a lot of pressure. Maybe this is just compensation to adjust the number of goals to realistic levels, but it looks really weird. Crossing is also really bad in some cases. Players with good crossing/technique regularly cross the ball out for a goal kick- again this is often when not under pressure.

Last year my first impression was very good. Things worked relatively well, and the changes were mostly improvements. This year, my impression is that this is a bit of a mess. I know I will come off as overly critical for a lot of people, but I honestly expect a lot better after a years work.

43 minutes ago, LeeCutty said:

Currently there is no way of getting rid of the walkouts, halftime match engine stadium and end of game celebration animations while playing on commentary only.

These are pointless for us who play on commentary only and only serve to use computer resourses that we don't need to use.

They need to get rid of this plus fix the speed on commentary only and add the old blank background split view back to make it good to play again.

I got this as well where on only commentary it takes about 20 minutes to get through a match, I then changed to show key highlights to see if it helped made it quicker and did a match in 5-10 minutes, when I would of thought only commentary would of been quicker like previous years, so obviously an issue somewhere with it being on only commentary.

Edited by sedge11

Guest El Payaso
Just now, Seb Wassell said:

It would be worth breaking this down into individual issues and posting, along with accompanying PKMs, in the ME bugs forum please. In its current state there isn't much the ME team can do with your post unfortunately.

I know that but I don't even have a save game up at the moment on FM and I'm certainly not making bug reports this year if I don't notice something really major that no-one else has noticed. I did report from basically all these issues ever since FM 2015 to 2017 and they haven't changed at all. 

I hope that you are able to introduce more aggression and reactivity to defending during this version. Like defenders stepping out of the defensive line if they can do it to close down the striker/winger aggressively. What I would suggest is that you would simply consider making strikers defend instead of loafing around high up the pitch as this possibly could solve many of the issues that the ME has and at least would make it look quite a bit different. 

You might be able to contact Benjy and get the .pkms from him. Good luck.

26 minutes ago, KUBI said:

Please post this in the bugs forum.

Already have mate. Just wondering if it's a specific thing related to commentary as it seems to be processing more than key highlights

49 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

I got this as well where on only commentary it takes about 20 minutes to get through a match, I then changed to show key highlights to see if it helped made it quicker and did a match in 5-10 minutes, when I would of thought only commentary would of been quicker like previous years, so obviously an issue somewhere with it being on only commentary.

Is this still with just the lines of commentary or do you have to watch the match in 2D/3D?

3 minutes ago, SebastianRO said:

Player search screen is .... poorly designed. Yes, the SI intentions were good because they wanted to offer more information on the screen, but boy oh boy ... it's just too much.

I also think that adding search parameters for player search has taken a massive step back. Change for change's sake.

21 minutes ago, LeeCutty said:

Is this still with just the lines of commentary or do you have to watch the match in 2D/3D?

Watch the match in 3D or 2d, I just put it on key highlights to see if would make any difference and does seem to be quicker, doesn't give you a lot of the pointless commentary it does when in only commentary.

Tried again to start a save and really struggling to get into it with the current issues, mainly around the UI, enjoy the game nonetheless.

Will wait for the next update, fingers crossed that does the trick

Game seems to be goosed, everytime I load up a Hibs game I have a game on the 1st day of the game 24/6/17 and a training camp in a European country which runs into the Betfred group matches, with friendlies in the camp I'm unable to delete. ( it has been reported in the correct forum and been acknowledged )

The ME and graphics seems to be pretty good, happy to see the pitch brightness toned down, nice gameplay to watch, a bit too many clicks to do things in the UI, I'm going to give it a miss right now till they iron out all the niggles, there seems to be a lot of them this year.

1 hour ago, PHITSO said:

I'll say it again, can the stadium background that appears before the team talk at kick off, half time and full time, please have an option to remove. I really miss the blank background.

1. It causes my laptop GPU issues and slows down/crashes.

2. It looks ugly.

This is the one feature I desperately want getting rid of or to at least have the option to turn off in preferences (as there should already be)

yes!!!

Fm Touch does not update to 18.0.2   

quit out of Football Manager and restart Steam in order to download and install the update.

not    

1 minute ago, mr_adams said:

Fm Touch does not update to 18.0.2   

There is no update released for FM touch.

1 minute ago, KUBI said:

There is no update released for FM touch.

What why ?

it is part of the same game    ie same match engine 

same fixes should be done to touch as well  .  I  paid  the same money for my game ... 

Stability fixes
- Added new preference for "data language", allowing you to have game text in one language, and the in-game data in another language
- Added zoom functionality to 2D Classic
- Improved pitch lighting in 2D Classic
- Improvements to game speed and fluidity
- Enabled Online Career and Fantasy Draft modes

I'll add one more thing that I keep seeing in the match engine, that has been around for years, and not fixed.

- Fullbacks keep getting caught offside. They go too far forward, and keep standing there / don't get back onside fast enough. Very, very rarely do you see backs getting caught offside in real life. It should be possible to have them push up all the way to the d-line, without trying to make "runs" behind towards the corner flag. This behaviour would make sense if the runs were angled, towards goal, and the aim was to get in behind the defense to get a chance on goal, but there should be a way to have a back stay far out wide to provide width, without going offside. On support, backs usually stay too far back, even with "forward runs" marked, so there doesn't seem to be a good way of getting them to act realistically at the moment.

What why ?

it is part of the same game    ie same match engine 

same fixes should be done to touch as well  .  I  paid  the same money for my game ... 

You paid for the game that will be released on 10th November. Beta access for both games does not mean that both games will be updated at the same time.

Has the update changed it so that you get individual Scout reports for players in your inbox? As referenced above with the Rashford example

I don`t like the match stats window in FM 18 during the match. It was much better in 17. In fm 18 you need to make the match stats window bigger to be able to read percentages and as a result, the window takes much more of your view. But in 17, you could have the smallest window and you could still see percentages. Also in fm 18, the window doesn`t get transparent when the ball is behind the window. Hope this is improved for the release.

The most annoying thing is still there.

Damn assistant's feedback.

If you try and keep possession, 5mins in the game it's "we should use more direct passing".
If you don't use the retain possession instruction, it's "we should retain possession as we're struggling to control the game" as soon as the game starts.

6 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:

Mark specific position is completely ignored!!!!! My forward ignores this instruction!!!!!!

You can't say because you don't see him following the instruction that its down to the instruction.

What about his attributes, his role/duty/PIs, his condition/fitness, morale etc.

40 minutes ago, zigaliro said:

I don`t like the match stats window in FM 18 during the match. It was much better in 17. In fm 18 you need to make the match stats window bigger to be able to read percentages and as a result, the window takes much more of your view. But in 17, you could have the smallest window and you could still see percentages. Also in fm 18, the window doesn`t get transparent when the ball is behind the window. Hope this is improved for the release.

Good point on this "window doesn´t get transparent". Hoping on get this improved on release. Very useful to watch the game and get information on screen.

1 hour ago, KUBI said:

You paid for the game that will be released on 10th November. Beta access for both games does not mean that both games will be updated at the same time.

then dont ask us to report bugs if the game has not been updated or fixed when we do report then 

It took it being mentioned on here for me to even notice but I really do miss the pop-up with scorer/card information during a match. Like, a lot. Would like it back.

then dont ask us to report bugs if the game has not been updated or fixed when we do report then 

You did not report a bug so far.

2 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

It took it being mentioned on here for me to even notice but I really do miss the pop-up with scorer/card information during a match. Like, a lot. Would like it back.

That stuff still pops up it's just been made part of the timebar in the header.

10 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Indeed. I'd still like it back though.

My Lukaku seems to score a high proportion of his goals from dispossessing centre backs and getting easy one on ones with the keeper. Is that a bug or just his stats at work? He has beast strength but poor tackling and mediocre work rate.

I would like the opportunity to exclude certain nations from scouting.

I’m scouting for intelligent players, but end up getting lots of Italians on my shortlist, which just get binned every time. 

3 minutes ago, Cannibal said:

My Lukaku seems to score a high proportion of his goals from dispossessing centre backs and getting easy one on ones with the keeper. Is that a bug or just his stats at work? He has beast strength but poor tackling and mediocre work rate.

You score one-on-one’s?? That’s impressive!

26 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

Not offsides, free kicks or corners, though. Another odd choice to omit these.

An issue I just had, and this has been around for a while now, is players complaining about not getting first team football ten games into a season. I was playing at Arsenal and was only in October, but had Nacho Monreal, Mohamed Elneny, Francis Coquelin, Danny Welbeck and Olivier Giroud all complain about not getting enough games even though I was using all of them as part of a rotation system. Some of them have "First Team" status, so I get why it happens, but that brings me to the second part of this issue: the player conversations. It's still at a stage where it feels like the manager can never win without a) making a promise that can't be kept or b) upsetting the player. 

In the second case, it's even worse this year because of the Dynamics system. I told Coquelin that he'd get his chance during the season, but he wasn't happy. I then get a message about his team mates being upset about how I've treated him, only to discover he's in the main social group, so a good 75% of my squad were threatening to mutiny because I couldn't promise him first team football. I had to have a meeting with a squad and promise all of them that I'd play him just so I wouldn't upset all of them. It was all the funnier when Alexis Sanchez tells me he's looking forward to playing with him. 

So I'm really not sure about this feature. On the one hand, it's an extra layer of realism and adds a more human touch to the squad, which is fine. But on the other hand, it makes an already frustrating player happiness/interaction system even trickier to negotiate, because now there's an ever present threat of annoying everyone if you happen to upset just one player. 

I should also point out that I barely gave any team talks because despite having max reputation, none of my players were interested in listening to me. Even after 10 games unbeaten, nobody listened.

On the whole, I can see there's a good game here, but there are so many little annoying things that drag it down. The problems with the UI have been brought up many times by now and don't need to be repeated again, but I will say that it bothers me a lot that the in-match tactics menu has a horizontal pitch instead of a vertical one. Also, I almost thought Opposition Instructions had been taken out the game until I spotted them in a tiny section in the bottom right corner of the screen. The ME was fine. I have no major complaints about it and appreciated the fact that I could build a solid defence. The one issue I had was the fact that every match I played had crosses that forced keepers into giving away corners, complete with the message "Player X didn't meant that!". Perhaps it's not high on the priority list, but this has been in at least the last three or four editions of the ME and it's annoying to see it still around. 

Speaking of things that are still around, assistant manager feedback is still useless. I don't need a message telling me my side is struggling to retain possession when I've got a nice big stat bar with that information on it. Likewise, telling me my side is struggling to create chances in a match is redundant when I can see the shot numbers broken down in clear cut chances, half chances, blocked, etc. If the assistant wants to give me info, make it something useful like suggesting a change in team instructions or a player role. I was also disappointed that the in game explanations about what Mentality/Team Shape/Player Roles do wasn't changed to better explain the effects on the pitch. 

To finish this off with more positive feedback: the medical centre is an excellent addition. Receiving pre-game reports on which players are at high risk of injury is extremely useful and helped me manage fitness a lot better. I liked the anaylsis squares on the tactics screen and thought they were a simple way of communicating where the holes in my set-up could be. The relationship lines are also nice, in that they're a visual way of showing me if certain players weren't finding each other. 

Edited by JEinchy

I'm unemployed and have had a few job interviews. My manager profile shows a 'wnt' icon in the centre top tab, but clicking on it doesn't do anything. Nice to know I'm wanted!

3 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

I'm unemployed and have had a few job interviews. My manager profile shows a 'wnt' icon in the centre top tab, but clicking on it doesn't do anything. Nice to know I'm wanted!

Sounds like a bug that needs reporting, please head over to the appropriate section and upload your save.

I'm 5 games into my first season with Palace and I have virtually no reputation.  My team absolutely hate me but I am loving it.  I will make this little scallywags love me whether they like it or not.

Couldn't buy a win to start off with in pre season and first few Prem games but slowly starting to turn the corner now.  

Can you tell me if anything is being done about speed on only commentary? it's so slow It's putting me to sleep.

20 minutes ago, JEinchy said:

An issue I just had, and this has been around for a while now, is players complaining about not getting first team football ten games into a season. I was playing at Arsenal and was only in October, but had Nacho Monreal, Mohamed Elneny, Francis Coquelin, Danny Welbeck and Olivier Giroud all complain about not getting enough games even though I was using all of them as part of a rotation system. Some of them have "First Team" status, so I get why it happens, but that brings me to the second part of this issue: the player conversations. It's still at a stage where it feels like the manager can never win without a) making a promise that can't be kept or b) upsetting the player. 

In the second case, it's even worse this year because of the Dynamics system. I told Coquelin that he'd get his chance during the season, but he wasn't happy. I then get a message about his team mates being upset about how I've treated him, only to discover he's in the main social group, so a good 75% of my squad were threatening to mutiny because I couldn't promise him first team football. I had to have a meeting with a squad and promise all of them that I'd play him just so I wouldn't upset all of them. It was all the funnier when Alexis Sanchez tells me he's looking forward to playing with him. 

So I'm really not sure about this feature. On the one hand, it's an extra layer of realism and adds a more human touch to the squad, which is fine. But on the other hand, it makes an already frustrating player happiness/interaction system even trickier to negotiate, because now there's an ever present threat of annoying everyone if you happen to upset just one player. 

On the whole, I can see there's a good game here, but there are so many little annoying things that drag it down. The problems with the UI have been brought up many times by now and don't need to be repeated again, but I will say that it bothers me a lot that the in-match tactics menu has a horizontal pitch instead of a vertical one. Also, I almost thought Opposition Instructions had been taken out the game until I spotted them in a tiny section in the bottom right corner of the screen. The ME was fine. I have no major complaints about it and appreciated the fact that I could build a solid defence. The one issue I had was the fact that every match I played had crosses that forced keepers into giving away corners, complete with the message "Player X didn't meant that!". Perhaps it's not high on the priority list, but this has been in at least the last three or four editions of the ME and it's annoying to see it still around. 

Speaking of things that are still around, assistant manager feedback is still useless. I don't need a message telling me my side is struggling to retain possession when I've got a nice big stat bar with that information on it. Likewise, telling me my side is struggling to create chances in a match is redundant when I can see the shot numbers broken down in clear cut chances, half chances, blocked, etc. If the assistant wants to give me info, make it something useful like suggesting a change in team instructions or a player role. I was also disappointed that the in game explanations about what Mentality/Team Shape/Player Roles do wasn't changed to better explain the effects on the pitch. 

To finish this off with more positive feedback: the medical centre is an excellent addition. Receiving pre-game reports on which players are at high risk of injury is extremely useful and helped me manage fitness a lot better. I liked the anaylsis squares on the tactics screen and thought they were a simple way of communicating where the holes in my set-up could be. The relationship lines are also nice, in that they're a visual way of showing me if certain players weren't finding each other. 

I had the same issues as you with upsetting players, however, I ploughed on through it. I held squad meetings and made my decisions clear with most players accepting my decision. Wilshere still unhappy? Great you're on the transfer list too and off to West Brom for £16m. Right, anyone else got a problem? No? Great.  

Now half-way through the 1st season and the main social group has changed significantly, everyone's happy and the results are coming.   

5 hours ago, ig0rf said:

why aren't your players all black like mine?

I reduced my graphics when this happened by one notch in one of the match settings in Prefernces - fixed it for me.

26 minutes ago, Saevel said:

Not offsides, free kicks or corners, though. Another odd choice to omit these.

Or substitutions, apart from the opposition. And the only time it now mentions a sub in commentary at the bottom is, bizarrely, when you've had to sub a player due to a tactical change after a sending off!

I'm not keen on that pop up info at the top of the screen, I much prefer it to be down next to the commentary bar. But if it has to be there, at least have all the good little nuggets of information we've had before. 

17 hours ago, ben carter said:

Regarding Man City. I've played three games now and twice Guardiola has been sacked in December with City around 15th. 

Not sure if this is an issue anyone else has seen but City seem to really under perform in the games I've played so far.

yep most of the top side seem to struggle. game seems to prefer counter attack football with burnly stoke and wba doing well 

can i ask a question. how does the pa with staff work? how do you know what field they are going to get good in? is it worth signing high pa staff ?

Does Match plans work for you? I have made new plan with a few scenarios and I tick checkbox to use for the next match, but I don't see any difference in instructions during the game....