Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this has been asked already but how can you turn off the filter in the transfer market list for players and free agents like previous fms? Im only seeing the players i could afford and will join me etc and not EVERYONE who is listed. Thanks. Lee

Bad UI design. Lots of unnecessary clicks and messy presentations.
Player passing decision needs to be improve. Seen quite a number of clear cut through ball or cross passing options being ignored, the player just dribble into wide area or dribble into a defender for no reason. Other than that I am happy with everything else.

Is it possible to scroll through all of the received scout reports on the scouting home page?

I really like the large report cards on the main scouting page, but would like to be able flick through them and see what my scouts are saying about more of the players that they have been looking at, rather than just the one that is chosen when you click on to that screen.

On 27/10/2017 at 00:59, Neil Brock said:

Please take the time to raise them on our crashes forum so we can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/564-crashes-and-technical-issues-pc/

Thanks. 

Thankfully after rebooting it turns out the crash was actually in completing an autosave just before the match, which did still work regardless. I've posted now :)

9 minutes ago, Stevenleharve said:

Really don't like having to pick my team before loading up the database etc. Like loading the database and saving the game pre-team selection. It's much easier. Seems like a weird thing to change. 

You don't have to, it's just a bit hard to spot. 

3 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Okay but please bear in mind we're working through the posts and everything else, not to mention it's outside of normal working hours. We appreciate people taking the time to post and we will try and respond as soon as we can where appropriate. Thanks. 

Neil, your efforts are really appreciated, but to be fair, how on Earth is it possible to release such an unfinished product??? I'm scrolling through the Forum and I keep bumping into an endless series of errors, bugs, flaws...I'm ready to understand that it's a Beta, but it seems more an excuse that a feasible explanation...two weeks from the official release and it clearlyneeds still a lot of work to do just to make it playable, let alone enyojable...quite disappointed to be fair...

Question about scouting:

I tend to play with lower league clubs. When I assign my scouts, I ask them to look for players at the end of their contract, and my scouts return players who are currently unattached. In FM18, when sending scouts on assignment, the game tells me that my assigned scouts are watching matches. They don't seem to return any unattached players.

Does anyone know a good scouting strategy to find players who are unattached in FM18? I'd prefer not search for them in the player search screen, I'd rather have my scouts discover them.

5 minutes ago, Ultimoroger said:

Question about scouting:

I tend to play with lower league clubs. When I assign my scouts, I ask them to look for players at the end of their contract, and my scouts return players who are currently unattached. In FM18, when sending scouts on assignment, the game tells me that my assigned scouts are watching matches. They don't seem to return any unattached players.

Does anyone know a good scouting strategy to find players who are unattached in FM18? I'd prefer not search for them in the player search screen, I'd rather have my scouts discover them.

Thats kinda the same thing now.

What you see in the player search is players your scouts are aware of based on the scouting package you select.

There are many things I like about FM2018 but I suspect that at least the beta has some performance issues.  I decided to try the beta by playing FC Copenhagen.  When the game goes from one day to the next it often simply stops, sometimes for minutes at a time, before advancing to the next day.  I noticed that in particular September 14th and 15th caused the game to stop for several minutes.  I play with several leagues enabled and a large database, but even so the game tells me my performance should be "two gold stars".   To compare I decided to try FC Copenhagen on FM2017, also with performance at "two gold stars", and I do not see any noticeable performance lags.  Sometimes I play FM2017 with one and a half "gold stars" of performance and never see performance issues, although on January 1st the change of dates does take a bit of time.  I can forgive the game for perhaps being a bit hung over on that date, but with FM 2018 the frequent performance lags may prove to make the game unplayable for some people.  My computer is fairly new (intel core i7-4790 CPU at 3.60 Mhz, 8 logical processors, 64 bit Windows 10, 24 GB RAM, terabytes of free disk space, OS running on  SSD, AMD Radeon R9 200 video card with 2GB memory), and again, FM 2017 runs MUCH better than FM 2018 using identical game setup.

Can somebody have a quick look at this please:

Sorry for the phone footage but don't think I can upload in Beta.

Anyway, my concerns are as follows:

1. At around 10 seconds, I'm happy with the defensive set up.

2. After that, it's shambolic.

3. At 11/12 secs my left centre midfielder (as you look at the screen) completely abandons his position (MC support).

4. Seemingly to compensate for this, at 14/15 secs my right centre back also completely abandons his position and breaks about 15 yards from the defensive line to cover the movement of the midfielder, leaving a huge hole between my left centre back and right back.  Both my centre back have the "hold position" instruction.

5.  Their midfielder plays the ball to the free man, who holds it up for their right forward's oncoming run.

6. My left back's decision making in respect of their right forward is unbelievable (I know it's Moreno, but his stats are pretty decent!).

All in all, a pretty shambolic sequence, which I don't know if it's a bug or tactics.  If the latter, if that's how the match engine works then I'm going to get pretty mad at the game this year :D

PKM attached.  The sequence starts around 13:30.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Liverpool v Club Brugge.pkm

The beta is acting proper weird for me. The best way to describe it would be it's being very 'juttery' from the start screen my manager moves around like he's clicking in and out of place, the menus from 1 screen to another take ages, it's not my laptop as this is a gaming laptop bought less than 3 weeks ago and 17 performs flawlessly on it.

and another point where is the software rendering option? Think it was called that in 17.

15 minutes ago, Longhorn said:

There are many things I like about FM2018 but I suspect that at least the beta has some performance issues.  I decided to try the beta by playing FC Copenhagen.  When the game goes from one day to the next it often simply stops, sometimes for minutes at a time, before advancing to the next day.  I noticed that in particular September 14th and 15th caused the game to stop for several minutes.  I play with several leagues enabled and a large database, but even so the game tells me my performance should be "two gold stars".   To compare I decided to try FC Copenhagen on FM2017, also with performance at "two gold stars", and I do not see any noticeable performance lags.  Sometimes I play FM2017 with one and a half "gold stars" of performance and never see performance issues, although on January 1st the change of dates does take a bit of time.  I can forgive the game for perhaps being a bit hung over on that date, but with FM 2018 the frequent performance lags may prove to make the game unplayable for some people.  My computer is fairly new (intel core i7-4790 CPU at 3.60 Mhz, 8 logical processors, 64 bit Windows 10, 24 GB RAM, terabytes of free disk space, OS running on  SSD, AMD Radeon R9 200 video card with 2GB memory), and again, FM 2017 runs MUCH better than FM 2018 using identical game setup.

Do you have lag in 3d matches ?

Anyone here with experience in skinning? If so, do you think you'll be able to get rid of the flashing ads in 2d? It's ruined the game for me, I've never had to deal with ads and especially such intrusive ones in any other game

2 minutes ago, thiagoanjo said:

Do you have lag in 3d matches ?

The game seems to run at an acceptable level in 3d matches for me.  I'm not sure how to compare it to game performance in FM 2017 but so far I have no issues with the 3d matches in FM 2018 as far as performance goes.

5 hours ago, kandersson said:

@michaeltmurrayuk any chance the split view on tactics screen will also be available for lower display resolution on release day? I also have an issue with screenshots taken from my game as they all look like the picture below (never had this issue with past FM editions), does it have to do with resolution as well? Is there a way to solve this?

59f31dc8a375d_ACFFiorentina_Knowledge.thumb.png.35020b112013ffa37d445802df484a02.png.fc34807682a5e067f7e533932f899186.png

And btw is there a way to disable scouting meetings as I seem to have one every day?

For the tactics screen no idea it's best raising the issue in the bugs forum so SI can see if they can tweak the room needed for the tactics pitch (though I expect it could be tweaked in a skin after release).

For the screenshot problem that looks like a bug and is worth raising in the Technical Issues Bugs Forum, in the meantime you can use Steams Screenshot feature (F12 by default) or a thirdparty program to take screenshots.

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Stevenleharve said:

Really don't like having to pick my team before loading up the database etc. Like loading the database and saving the game pre-team selection. It's much easier. Seems like a weird thing to change. 

There is an option to "Pick Team Later" in that initial team selection pop-up.

18 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Can somebody have a quick look at this please:

Sorry for the phone footage but don't think I can upload in Beta.

Anyway, my concerns are as follows:

1. At around 10 seconds, I'm happy with the defensive set up.

2. After that, it's shambolic.

3. At 11/12 secs my left centre midfielder (as you look at the screen) completely abandons his position (MC support).

4. Seemingly to compensate for this, at 14/15 secs my right centre back also completely abandons his position and breaks about 15 yards from the defensive line to cover the movement of the midfielder, leaving a huge hole between my left centre back and right back.  Both my centre back have the "hold position" instruction.

5.  Their midfielder plays the ball to the free man, who holds it up for their right forward's oncoming run.

6. My left back's decision making in respect of their right forward is unbelievable (I know it's Moreno, but his stats are pretty decent!).

All in all, a pretty shambolic sequence, which I don't know if it's a bug or tactics.  If the latter, if that's how the match engine works then I'm going to get pretty mad at the game this year :D

PKM attached.  The sequence starts around 13:30.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Liverpool v Club Brugge.pkm

it is the old wide players not defending (which puts pressure on the back line that make Moreno look like a moron :D ) bug. too bad you didn't make a wider shot so you'd film your right winger as well. Anyway, if you look carefully, all the problem you have comes from your two wide players staying too wide from central players. This allows the opposition to pass around in the central zone. as the opposition gets closer to the box, this triggers the defender to move up and close down the gap offering the opposition an easy through ball behind the d-line. also, it doesn't help if your CM's have high closing down.

Edited by MBarbaric

1 hour ago, 17Gonzo said:

Is it possible to scroll through all of the received scout reports on the scouting home page?

I really like the large report cards on the main scouting page, but would like to be able flick through them and see what my scouts are saying about more of the players that they have been looking at, rather than just the one that is chosen when you click on to that screen.

If you goto the Scouting -> Players -> Scouted page you can get a list of all of the players you have scouted (there is also a recent and discarded list aswell).

14 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

Anyway, if you look carefully, all the problem you have comes from your two wide players staying too wide from central players.

All his wide players are on attacking duty, WBs are on attack and all his AMs are on attack duty as well. So I am not surprised we saw a defender stepping out to cover for Nainggolan who showed poor positioning and an overeagerness to close down so there could be some intentional closing down settings as well, as you see Can and Nainggolan frequently two manning everyone a . Basically when holding Can's hand in a limited love making exercise he goes missing from the area he was responsible for, its not surprising that Matip stepped up.

I would be worried if i set up with the same roles and duties. With so many players being told to take risks in your backline and with a dodgy midfield pairing, you might see things like that. Haven't seen your detailed instructions  but if you think its a bug then raise it in the bugs forum. Was he too aggressive, too enthusiastic, I am not sure without knowing all his attributes.

6 minutes ago, SmurfDude said:

The ME makes no sense to me. One week I can outplay Real Madrid then the next week not register a shot on target at home to Newcastle. Everything feels slow and clunky. Have requested a refund unfortunately. I think FM17 is more enjoyable. 

Did you see the complete match or only key moments ?

20 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

All his wide players are on attacking duty, WBs are on attack and all his AMs are on attack duty as well. So I am not surprised we saw a defender stepping out to cover for Nainggolan who showed poor positioning and an overeagerness to close down so there could be some intentional closing down settings as well, as you see Can and Nainggolan frequently two manning everyone a . Basically when holding Can's hand in a limited love making exercise he goes missing from the area he was responsible for, its not surprising that Matip stepped up.

I would be worried if i set up with the same roles and duties. With so many players being told to take risks in your backline and with a dodgy midfield pairing, you might see things like that. Haven't seen your detailed instructions  but if you think its a bug then raise it in the bugs forum. Was he too aggressive, too enthusiastic, I am not sure without knowing all his attributes.

agree on most parts. said myself there might be too much closing down involved in the CM zone. However, that only aggravates the problem but isn't the source of it. two wide players staying too wide are the problem. This might indeed be due to attacking roles they have, but SI said last year there was a problem with defending the central area and it was too much to deal with for FM17 patches. remains to see how it works in FM18. From what I've seen till now it doesn't look particularly promising and i'd guess narrow formations will rule again.

Edited by MBarbaric

28 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

All his wide players are on attacking duty, WBs are on attack and all his AMs are on attack duty as well.

Just curious, yow can you tell this given that the sequence starts with the defending side already pinned back in their half and the players already taken their defensive position again? When this starts the wbs are already in the backline. From prior releases, to me they could be on a defend duty, and never ventured forward before the vid started and the ball was eventually turned over to the opposition. The vid as such displays one of the core problems if central spaces, virtually simulated or otherwise, are (too) easily overloaded -- for whichever reasons. Central is the shortest distance to goal, and naturally, a severe and easy man advantage in such areas also makes it very easy to control a pitch. AFAIR FM 2009ish or thereabouts had an issue with the deepest midfielder rarely ever picked up / pushed properly, which is slightly related to the issue in at least prior editions in my opinion. As I have no experience as of yet with FM 18, that's all though. :)

Edited by Svenc

13 minutes ago, Svenc said:

Just curious, yow can you tell this given that the sequence starts with the defending side already pinned back in their half and the players already taken their defensive position again? When this starts the wbs are already in the backline. From prior releases, to me they could be on a defend duty, and never ventured forward before the vid started and the ball was eventually turned over to the opposition. Anyway, the vid displays one of the core problems if central spaces, virtually simulated or otherwise, are (too) easily overloaded -- for whichever reasons. Central is the shortest distance to goal, and naturally, a severe and easy man advantage in such areas also makes it very easy to control a pitch. AFAIR FM 2009ish or thereabouts had an issue with the deepest midfielder rarely ever picked up / pushed properly, which is slightly related to the issue in prior editions in my opinion. As I have no experience as of yet with FM 18, that's all though. :)

..I saw the whole pkm, it has the roles and duties on it. Plus I dont want to go off topic. To me he's made the wrong decision in duty allocation, which explains a lot to me, and I think we should stay on topic. If there are issues people have and they think these are bugs, they should raise it on the bugs forum, or start a thread in tactics and training forum.

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

Have you seen the pkm?

D'oh, missed that there was something attached. Was curious and slightly worried after having seen the sequence and your analysis, as I thought there may have been a fresh "under the hood" overhaul as to dutys that I may have been missing all along! :D

Just realised at the end of the match I've not seen a referee rating or review.

If I click on the ref I can see his rating but we used to get a report too - this particular ref got a 5.2 rating and the feedback used to give an indication why.

Edited by Swindon69

40 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

How is it a "dodgy" midfield pairing? One DLP defend, one MC support, both players are pretty good midfielders.  Whilst I accept my TIs include "close down more", when I had Nainggolan as a BWM he was very static.  He also has a "marks opponents tightly" skill, which again goes against why he just runs over to Can's man.

You're not surprised Matip stepped up, really? He has a "hold position" instruction and he's completely abandoning his position - suicidal defending.  I'd be interested to see examples of that irl.

The wingbacks are in position too, so I've no idea what you're on about in that instance saying "so many players being told to take risks", the wingbacks are fine until Moreno switches off/tries to play offside.

I don't know if it's a bug, pretty sure this is though:

Both CBs running to the halfway line :D

Edited by martplfc1

10 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

..I saw the whole pkm, it has the roles and duties on it. Plus I dont want to go off topic. To me he's made the wrong decision in duty allocation, which explains a lot to me, and I think we should stay on topic. If there are issues people have and they think these are bugs, they should raise it on the bugs forum, or start a thread in tactics and training forum.

What roles would you play in a midfield pairing and why?

FWIW I've won 3 of 3 so far.

3 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

You're not surprised Matip stepped up, really? He has a "hold position" instruction and he's completely abandoning his position - suicidal defending.  I'd be interested to see examples of that irl.

"Hold position" is an instruction that has always applied when your team attacks / is in possession. It relates to forward movement/runs. What Matip does is closing down which comes about as he's eventually forced to as nobody covers the guys in front of his anymore -- for whichever reasons.

Edited by Svenc

Just now, Svenc said:

"Hold position" is an instruction that has always applied when your team attacks / is in possession. It relates to forward movement/runs. What Matip does is closing down which comes about as he's eventually forced to -- for whichever reasons.

Surely it'd be more natural to invite the player to carry the ball forward, rather than leave a gaping hole in the defence?

8 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Surely it'd be more natural to invite the player to carry the ball forward, rather than leave a gaping hole in the defence?

depends on situation- however, once the opposition is near the box he should be immediately closed down (which your defender did). that is only a consequence while the problem is higher up the pitch.

10 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

depends on situation- however, once the opposition is near the box he should be immediately closed down (which your defender did). that is only a consequence while the problem is higher up the pitch.

Yeah, within realistic shooting range, so 25/30 yards at the most. In that vid Matip closes him down about 40/45 yards from goal. 

I really like the game so far, but there are a few gripes.

Firstly the pre-match meeting - I don't really understand what the benefit of it is, for instance if i decided to change my formation to the one i discuss with the players what effect can this have. Also most of the time players have no reaction to anything I say or do in this meeting, I'd love to just understand what this feature adds, or is it just another element to click through that makes no difference in the game.

Secondly I love dynamics, BUT i had this issue managing Southampton where Bertrand was injured for 3 weeks, so Sam McQueen was my left back, as soon as Bertrand was fit again he was back in the team - but had started complaining about lack of first team football!, I wish I knew how to create a PKM or whatever.

Also, what's this whole "the atmosphere turns sour when you walk into the room" nonsense, i've just joined the club! surely that shouldn't be the case.

Disappointed with the lack of improvement in the media, there needs to be far more questions - the ability to put on press conferences (i.e new signing) - different types of answer, more options, with more contextual answers and feedback from players.

I feel a bit sad at the same old team talks which i think need more options, i.e  and i wish there was more explanation about what tone does to answers in team talks and to the press.Also more camera angles in match engine and another 2d view would be great.

But apart from this, really liking it.

Edited by SFCMike

Played a few games and here's some problems i have with the M.E. at the moment:-

Most crosses are going to the near post and most of these again end up being fumbled by the keepers out for a corner. New animations make this look even worse than previous years (this as been a re-occurring problem for a few fm's now)

corners are not being attacked very well. Usually i just leave attacking corners set to default but i found i had 3 players constantly standing on the penalty spot and often going backwards away from the ball. It has that same feeling as previous years from crosses where a player is locked on to win the ball and everyone one else is rendered useless

Counter attacks from opposition set pieces. I get a few of these due to having my two fastest players in positions to pounce. The movement is appalling. Too many times the player on the ball ends up trying to cross from the corner flag and the other player is at the back post.

Passing football is really ugly at the moment. there's no fluidity in the passing or movement. Players often pass and receive the ball standing still and cm's are often way too deep when opposition teams sit back. The movement is practically non existent. Often players standing waiting for the ball. the main exclusion here would be attacking full backs getting forward

Currently tactics look more like a puzzle to get the right result rather than really showing different styles. Obviously they do make a difference visualy when being played, but it's really frustrating to watch at this moment