Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, KUBI said:

There are ice hockey players who are out for 2 months or more with a concussion. Cold could be a viral infection with acute bronchities.

You have an answer to every question, don't you? :)

I sincerely hope that you are right.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

The best way to replicate this in FM18 is to set your scouting preferences (Go to Scouting Centre then click on preferences) to receive scout reports every day.

Unfortunately, this means you'll get a blank email on days when there is no scouting report.

I miss being able to get each individual scouting report as a separate inbox message, like in FM17. Hopefully this can be brought back. 

What I meant is if I want to scout some 10 players randomly, previously I used to get 10 mails in the inbox. Now we can't get that isn't it? If I do as you said then I will get only 1 mail per day? 

Just now, Ji-Sung Park said:

I'm enjoying FM18 so far, well done.

However, bring back elevated cam. This is just silly.

You can change the height of all cameras with a slider.

20 minutes ago, Tommo1 said:

Is there anyway to get rid of the 3D stadium pop ups at the beginning, half time and full time of matches? I'm playing with 2D classic (which I like) but it keeps switching to 3D and my Mac doesn't like it.

59f4358aaa95a_ScreenShot2017-10-28at8_43_51am.thumb.png.246e2224f16e6168ea60eb727db3dbd5.png

I need this options also. Should definitely be in preferences. 

48 minutes ago, dewhirst said:

I am underwhelmed by the team talks as well. Wouldn't be hard to write a bit more script and give us some different options. 

Yep, this is why I will not buy FM18 this year. First game I will miss since FM05. Bitter to be fair.

SO many things have been left unchanged for many years now. Same old startup texts, interactions, media, SOUNDS, players lose the ball and instead of chasing the man, revert back to their wide positions (wingers), and so much more. Very disappointed, and that is an understatement. Poor Poor effort from SI

30 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

I'm pretty sure they're is a great game here, however the UI is currently so bad I can't find it.

By this stage the UI should be nailed down, a slick interface that does not lurch from release to release.

In its current state the game is a user unfriendly mess.

If this was a demo there is no way i'd buy it.

It is a beta however so i'm looking forward to major improvements on release.

It pains me to say this.

Pains me to also say that the UI will hardly change in 13 days, mate. 

1 hour ago, Zink2 said:

It doesn't look like launch command in Steam to change user data location is working properly for me... my tactics and set pieces are defaulting to the folder that was created upon installation to my C: drive, rather than the location I set-up on my A: drive. I did everything the same way as FM17. Would appreciate feedback!

It has worked for me, but I had to do it twice, when I went back into steam to check it hadn't saved the location. 

Put it in again and now it works

the balance of the game seems wrong to me, smaller sides seem to be dominting the leagues or at least doing better than they should. man u man city and chelsea are all struggling in the premiership while burnly sit at the top. las palmas sit in the top 3 in  spain. fiorentina sit at the top in italy, koln in germany etc etc.

aslo the player stats seem to be all wrong they all seemed to have been dumbed down like you guys just used the fm17 database or something. foden has a pa of 148 ? this is the guy that is killing it at every level so far ?

and the same goes for a lot of players there stats just just seem to  be right.

i have said this about every copy of fm for a long time but true skill is agin missing from the game, this is why a lot of goals are the same as the ai seems to think defending is about just remaining on the edge of the box and there is no space they dont close, they dont move out, they dont do anything so the space is contricted, so you have good skilled players to create the space but they cant/wont dribble round players in a confined space its just pass pass pass until its intercepted or pushed wide and a cross comes in. surely by now someone must have learnt how to programme the game to use skill. you knowj true skill? stepovers? drifting past players, dribbling skills and flair its all missing.

Played my first hour last night and it's an incoherent mess. 

Feels like it was made by separate teams that didn't speak to each other until Thurs morning. 

So many bad decisions on new ui and so many things that needed changed or updated are untouched. 

Will give it another go at release but no Pont in playing this now with all the me bugs (already well reported) calender lag etc

Loving the game. There are so many changes that build immersion. A lot of small bugs though but that is to be expected. Corners seem bugged with none of my players attacking the ball. Overall I think the new match engine is fantastic with great potential but still very buggy in parts. 

21 hours ago, KUBI said:

There are ice hockey players who are out for 2 months or more with a concussion. Cold could be a viral infection with acute bronchities.

Paul Kariya & Andy MacDonald’s careers were both ended prematurely by post-concussion syndrome 

Edited by Deisler26

I haven't seen it mentioned much yet so after playing a few matches last night I have some thoughts on the "Team Briefing"

Initially I thought this was a good idea with plenty of promise but in practice it just doesn't work, the flow is all wrong.

In previous versions match prep would go something like:

A) Scout report on the opposition a day or so before the match.

B) Day of match you get taken to the match prep screen where you see expected lineup etc.

C) Now you have your info you pick your tactic & team, FM took you to the tactic screen for that but I preferred switching to the squad screen.

D) Proceed to match, any last minute tactical adjustments + OIs + pre match team talk.

Now you get the team briefing at the very start before you even get the scout report.  The problem is at that stage you don't know what tactic you are picking, the expected opposition formation or what players you are selecting.  Sure you might have some idea of your lineup but you aren't 100% because you are waiting on fitness & tactical selection.

Personally I think the team briefing should take place on the day of the match, after the scout report and probably after the match prep screen.  You select your team & tactics then give the briefing.  With the tactics & players then locked in place you proceed to the match.

I also want to bring up "Opposition Instructions" which are difficult to deal with atm.

From the pre match screen where you give the team talk you can click on OIs which takes you to the OI screen.  Thats fine but I then like to click on opposition players to get a look at them, see what type of player they are, which foot do they use and are they a speedy, physical or technical player (If I have the scouting knowledge).  This is fine until you click back which then returns you to the pre match screen rather than the OI screen.  So basically it now takes 50% more clicks than it did in past versions.

Is there anywhere (youtube, here etc) a in depth guide on how exactly to use data analysis and scouts this year?

I only seem to get very few players in my 'known' players list even when selecting the top package, I think I may be doing something wrong, but to be honest, as usual, the complete lack of information means I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Just now, davehanson said:

Is there anywhere (youtube, here etc) a in depth guide on how exactly to use data analysis and scouts this year?

I only seem to get very few players in my 'known' players list even when selecting the top package, I think I may be doing something wrong, but to be honest, as usual, the complete lack of information means I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Can you afford the top package?

You now have a scouting budget as well (Shown at the top in the scouting centre) which money is taken out of monthly.  If you run out of money in the scouting budget it defaults to what you can afford which would be nothing.

I suspect it also takes time to find the players and more get added as you go through a season.

Finally just above the players there is a tick box for those interested in transfer or loan (Have you ticked them?) and then to the right the filters (Have you filtered the selection?).

• Administrators

Can I please remind anyone who finds something they think is wrong, not designed to their liking or simply a bug - PLEASE do take the time to raise it in the bugs forum ideally with an example so we can take a look.

I've seen some comments saying things like "the UI is a mess or unituative" or "x seems broken" etc - that doesn't really give us much to go on. Please be specific and please raise them as bugs. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, thermo said:

You have an answer to every question, don't you? :)

I sincerely hope that you are right.

Concusssions at their worst can end careers, so having them potentially put players out for weeks or months depending on the severity is accurate.  

A viral infection isn't one generic illness. Could be any thing from something mild to some serious. They've just given it an all encompassing name 

22 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I haven't seen it mentioned much yet so after playing a few matches last night I have some thoughts on the "Team Briefing"

Initially I thought this was a good idea with plenty of promise but in practice it just doesn't work, the flow is all wrong.

B) Day of match you get taken to the match prep screen where you see expected lineup etc.

C) Now you have your info you pick your tactic & team, FM took you to the tactic screen for that but I preferred switching to the squad screen.

D) Proceed to match, any last minute tactical adjustments + OIs + pre match team talk.

Now you get the team briefing at the very start before you even get the scout report.  The problem is at that stage you don't know what tactic you are picking, the expected opposition formation or what players you are selecting.  Sure you might have some idea of your lineup but you aren't 100% because you are waiting on fitness & tactical selection.

Personally I think the team briefing should take place on the day of the match, after the scout report and probably after the match prep screen.  You select your team & tactics then give the briefing.  With the tactics & players then locked in place you proceed to the match.

I also want to bring up "Opposition Instructions" which are difficult to deal with atm.

From the pre match screen where you give the team talk you can click on OIs which takes you to the OI screen.  Thats fine but I then like to click on opposition players to get a look at them, see what type of player they are, which foot do they use and are they a speedy, physical or technical player (If I have the scouting knowledge).  This is fine until you click back which then returns you to the pre match screen rather than the OI screen.  So basically it now takes 50% more clicks than it did in past versions.

Gonna raise a bug report about this module shortly. It's a great idea but poorly executed atm.

2 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

just looked at an unnoficial  editor and wanted to see how many players are 150 + aged 16. there are 3 in the whole world ? this seems a little bit unreal 

Not sure what your point is. That age group will be stocked with world class newgens. Much better than guaranteed wodnerkids based on real life sixteen year old whose future is impossible to predict. 

9 minutes ago, jamessmith010101 said:

just looked at an unnoficial  editor and wanted to see how many players are pa 150 + aged 16. there are 3 in the whole world ? this seems a little bit unreal 

and how many players were aged 16?

46 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Hi Cougar

Team briefings the day before a match are quite normal, but I would be concerned about having it before you have received the scouting report.  When do you get the scouting report in FM18 then, in FM16 you get it a good few days before the match.  If you dont get it in time this could affect pre match training etc.

2 hours ago, scholesvolley said:

What I meant is if I want to scout some 10 players randomly, previously I used to get 10 mails in the inbox. Now we can't get that isn't it? If I do as you said then I will get only 1 mail per day? 

Yeah, unfortunately that seems to be the case. I really want 1 mail per scout assignment back as well.

57 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Can I please remind anyone who finds something they think is wrong, not designed to their liking or simply a bug - PLEASE do take the time to raise it in the bugs forum ideally with an example so we can take a look.

I've seen some comments saying things like "the UI is a mess or unituative" or "x seems broken" etc - that doesn't really give us much to go on. Please be specific and please raise them as bugs. 

Thanks. 

Neil, if there are a number of UI/UX issues not to my liking, should I create one post in the bugs forum for all of them or one for each (or at least one per section i.e. one for scouting, one for in-match experience)?

Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

Hi Cougar

Team briefings the day before a match are quite normal, but I would be concerned about having it before you have received the scouting report.  When do you get the scouting report in FM18 then, in FM16 you get it a good few days before the match.  If you dont get it in time this could affect pre match training etc.

I think I remember you saying earlier that you haven't got the game yet but have watched vids on it, with that in mind its the flow when you are playing that feels wrong, out of order if you like.

Taking the scout report first you do get it a couple of days before a match but it depends on the gap between matches.  Last night I had 5/6 matches with gaps of one/two days between them.  Perhaps once the season gets underway and you have one/two matches a week scout reports will settle more.

On the briefing though I know IRL its fairly normal to have a briefing the day before but in FM terms this doesn't work well.  The briefing itself when you play through asks you to talk to the team about tactics, PIs, shape, mentality, and individual players.  IRL managers will have a plan in place but they have 24hrs a day to fill whereas in FM we as users tend to pick the tactics & players just before the match.  At the point you are asked to give the briefing you have next to no information on the opposition, haven't picked your tactics or the players so how can you talk to them about any of it.

Even if you do pick your tactics & players before the briefing you are then left with pressing continue several times before being taken to the pre-match screens at which point FM asks you to pick your team & tactics!

So basically you are being asked to talk about your team & tactics before FM asks you to pick them which is what I mean by flow.  You need the pre match screens before the briefing screen whether that be the day before a match or on the day of the match.  The flow should be pre match screens > pick team & tactics > brief team > then move to dressing room where you make last minute changes. 

EDIT

Because it also leads to you duplicating your thoughts/actions every match I can see a lot of users simply skipping the briefing altogether and it becoming a white elephant.

Edited by Cougar2010

1 hour ago, matthiele said:

Loving the game. There are so many changes that build immersion. A lot of small bugs though but that is to be expected. Corners seem bugged with none of my players attacking the ball. Overall I think the new match engine is fantastic with great potential but still very buggy in parts. 

I noticed the corner thing as well but as soon as I set up my own corner routines they work well, the players default to go forward, when you change them to attack far Post, attack from deep etc it makes a massive difference! 

• SI Staff
2 hours ago, JayArr said:

One day we'll get better team talks, right? My Everton team just won 2-1 in a pre-season friendly against Wolves and these are my options:

In context, none of those options are that useful. Where's the "well played, you got the job done, let's go home"? I know this isn't exactly feedback on FM18 because this has been the same for a few years now, but this feels like something that was implemented ages ago and never properly revisited. Let's have some context-sensitive teamtalks!

You do know that not all the different options are available under "Calm" ? Some of the more extreme (either angry or delighted type talks) are only available under the more appropriate tones.

There are a lot of contextual team talks options in FM. They have been in for a number of years now and a bunch of new ones were added again this year. Typically a pre-season match might only have one or two that refer to the match being just a pre-season friendly but there isn't much more context during the pre-season yet. Most of the contextual options appear only in competitive matches when there is actually more context around the match.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

Neil, if there are a number of UI/UX issues not to my liking, should I create one post in the bugs forum for all of them or one for each (or at least one per section i.e. one for scouting, one for in-match experience)?

Thanks.

One for each please. I know it seems annoying to do so, but makes it a lot easier for us to reference and make sure nothing is missed. Many thanks. :thup: 

27 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

I think I remember you saying earlier that you haven't got the game yet but have watched vids on it, with that in mind its the flow when you are playing that feels wrong, out of order if you like.

Taking the scout report first you do get it a couple of days before a match but it depends on the gap between matches.  Last night I had 5/6 matches with gaps of one/two days between them.  Perhaps once the season gets underway and you have one/two matches a week scout reports will settle more.

On the briefing though I know IRL its fairly normal to have a briefing the day before but in FM terms this doesn't work well.  The briefing itself when you play through asks you to talk to the team about tactics, PIs, shape, mentality, and individual players.  IRL managers will have a plan in place but they have 24hrs a day to fill whereas in FM we as users tend to pick the tactics & players just before the match.  At the point you are asked to give the briefing you have next to no information on the opposition, haven't picked your tactics or the players so how can you talk to them about any of it.

Even if you do pick your tactics & players before the briefing you are then left with pressing continue several times before being taken to the pre-match screens at which point FM asks you to pick your team & tactics!

So basically you are being asked to talk about your team & tactics before FM asks you to pick them which is what I mean by flow.  You need the pre match screens before the briefing screen whether that be the day before a match or on the day of the match.  The flow should be pre match screens > pick team & tactics > brief team > then move to dressing room where you make last minute changes. 

EDIT

Because it also leads to you duplicating your thoughts/actions every match I can see a lot of users simply skipping the briefing altogether and it becoming a white elephant.

Very informative answer as usual Cougar, thanks

• Too many injuries. It's rare to go a week without at least one injury. 
  • UI is slow and unresponsive
  • I've had two matches where I didn't record a single shot (not even off target) how's that even possible? That's never happened on any version of FM ever. 

The UI and injuries were fine in FM17. Why change things for the sake of it? You just end up breaking stuff that was previously working. 

6 minutes ago, corneille said:

Why do keepers constantly parry near post crosses out for corners?

Particularly crosses that are already going out of play; followed by the commentary:

"He'll struggle to claim he meant that!"

*Facepalm*