Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

3 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

You can turn that screen off - from the cog on the top right untick the show in-between highlights panel, turning that off should leave you on the pitch screen with your widgets when their is no highlights.

I quite like the screen I wish the two panels showing the average ratings didn't keep dissappaering.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, PHITSO said:

completely agree. i hope the 3D background is removed from 2D.

It will not be removed, because it's a part of the new graphics engine. Sadly, if you can't afford a gaming PC, you're out of luck from this point on. Buckle up and accept the fact that FM17 is the last version of the game that is GPU-friendly.

Edited by MeMyself2k13

On 26/10/2017 at 22:22, Goddaça said:

I know most of you have played this already. If you haven't HERE BE SPOILERS if such a thing is possible in a football management game. If you have and you find my thoughts boring, that's cool. This has been written as I've played over the last few hours, for those who haven't yet purchased or wanted some 'stream of consciousness' style early thoughts. Note, this is NOT a review, I've played two matches and barely scratched the surface of what is a BETA release. Please don't white knight my opinions or be too negative in your own. It's not fun :) Cheers!

Preamble:

I was among the frothing horde this evening; not at the pub with friends, not spending quality (Face)time with my partner who lives overseas - no, I was on an internet forum. Every few minutes, the F5 button would be rapped in a mixture of excitement and nerves, waiting for that all-important news. When the Beta landed, it was Alpha stations. A smooth download and install, before being greeted with the dulcet tones of the popular music group Chase And/Or Status. Thankfully, the solitary song stopped by the time I had created the usual Eldritch Abomination on the face generatory doodad;

Screen_Shot_2017_10_26_at_20_09_14.png

Setup:

I've been through hell and back with my club - the mighty Brighton and Hove Albion - I decided to treat myself just for this Beta and go straight in at the 'top'. I normally have had the dubious privilege of trying to lead them through the divisions to the promised land, but this year I'll have to aim even higher! Coaching badge selected is based on division (PL in our case - come on you Seagulls)

Screen_Shot_2017_10_26_at_20_25_09.png

Pre Season:

After informing Chairman Tony "The Lizard" Bloom that I have no aspirations and politely telling Assistant Manager Paul Trollope to bugger off because he was all up in my face*, I took a glance at the new features.

*So nobody remembered to make any text changes here or notably anywhere on the interaction options? It's copy and pasted wording from five games ago - again! I don't hold out much hope for new options at press conferences etc... every piece of news on 'day one' is identical to previous years, in effect)

So, it seems there are essentially a couple of 'new' main buttons on the interface. Three, if you include the 'Report Bug' button. Which I don't, and neither should you. These are Medical Centre and Dynamics. Some buttons remain the same but are drastically overhauled, namely the Scouting screen, which I'll take a look at next. 

The Scouting Centre landing screen is like Julian Clary in that it talks a lot about 'packages', with non-sequiturs and innuendo inevitable. Scouting budgets are split between Senior and Youth, and is controlled via a slider at the top of the Scouting page. It is possible to raise and lower this (dependent on club finances) and the difference is removed from the transfer budget, in the same way as the wage adjustments from previous games. The wage adjustment mechanic is untouched in the Board tab. So when managing budgets, it will be necessary it seems to visit both pages to make adjustments. No problem I guess - we all have time on our hands if we play this time hog of a stalwart I suppose.

I took a few minutes getting to grips with examining a youth's package. Sorry, that's examining a youth package. Rather than the old list format, the Scouting Centre home page is like its own mini inbox now. I have sent my Data Analyst, of my PREMIER LEAGUE side, to watch doley Wes Hoolahan on my Chief Scout's advice, so it's good to know the game has a sense of humour. The Chief Scout also now has a deserved P45. The normal tracking/knowledge stuff, shortlists etc are  still accessible from here. The player search page, again still accessed from within the Scouting page,  is a good deal more colourful and more spaced out. Less list-y. Which you will either love or hate. I don't care personally, because everything is just as tweakable and easy to organise and 'put back' as ever. I waited a few days and got some Analyst Reports which are basically just regular scout reports, with a few extra bits of info and its own tab. Nothing earth shattering. 

Onto the Medical Centre, the landing screen is a standard overview. The bottom left has a little box containing my current injuries. 'Risk Assessment' along the top tells me if players are, er, at risk. If they're being pushed too hard, or whatever, the poor little loves. 'Current Injuries' is the same information as the landing screen. Everything is the same, essentially. Just rejigged a little. 

Finally, the Dynamics page looks like this;

Screen_Shot_2017_10_26_at_21_16_42.png

Pretty self explanatory. 'Hierarchy' appears to refer to some kind of intra-squad Ponzi scheme run by me, presumably to supplement my salary. Perhaps this is how our Tony got his millions? Bruno and Knockaert got into the scam early, so they're in the second tier, with poor Izzy Brown having been unwittingly conned by his new teammates into 'investing' his life savings. 

'Social Groups' is fun and a nice idea, actually. I can't see how it'll really work or change much, but it's awesome to think of the names on a screen more as actual people. Anything that helps with the immersion is fine by me! Glenn Murray, according to the game, is a loner who possibly smells like bums and lives in his Mum's basement. He 'doesn't currently fit into any particular social group'. Perhaps he sits at home eating KFC, watching anime and calling everyone a 'cuck' on the internet. 'Happiness' is pretty good too, breaking down how happy each player is with each aspect of their life at the club. Playing time, the manager, training etc. A nice addition. 

Generally happy enough with our squad and ratings, but a few tweaks are needed for sure. I know Liam Rosenior as a casual acquaintance and I think he'd be pretty shocked to learn from a video game that he is transfer listed. Talk about a harsh way of finding out, it's like getting dumped via Candy Crush Saga. Annoyingly, Pascal Groß cannot play in the actual position he plays every week for the team, but I tried playing him there anyway. #fightthepower

Approaching my first friendly in charge, I was invited to a Tactical Briefing which had some nice stuff in it. You can reiterate the game plan for the next fixture, using information gained by Data Analysts and from scouting the opposition. These buttons are the same as the touchline shouts, except the 'match plans' button which gives different scenarios. With it being the Albion, I suggested we started strongly, went a goal up and immediately defended for our lives until the 88th minute when we concede. Sadly, we won 3-0 against the mighty Zulte Waregem. RESULT. 

When selecting my team for my first friendly (the Tactics screen is simple enough, to call it an overhaul seems slightly disingenuous though. It's something of a simplification, at most. I had real difficulty locating the Team Instructions button, which kept me busy for a minute or two, before getting annoyed and just clicking all over. It worked! Turns out it's now a single line of text on the right side of the screen. No new options here, oh, except you can now 'look for underlap' as well as overlap when attacking. 

Now, the match engine. If you bothered reading this far, I noticed two main things. 

Firstly, the performance is fairly average running on a reasonable machine for the requirements. I appreciate this is a Beta, essentially an 'open rehearsal' of the full show, but I think the guys will (and should) be working hard to optimise this for later updates. 
Secondly, and I may need correcting here, but I couldn't find the bloomin' Split View button ANYWHERE. I have been so used to my set up for years now (pitch on left, player ratings on right) that I found it rather tough for a first match. Hopefully I'm just being dense, but it seemed locked to full screen on the pitch during highlights, with a very 'busy' overview screen inbetween highlights. 

Please, if I've missed that button, point that out! :) If it isn't there... well, it's pretty irritating but I'll just have to adjust to it. It's not a deal breaker.

So, first thoughts before I turn into bed. Standard 'update disk' add-on. Couple of tiny touches on the surface, all the big work has gone on under the hood. Namely the match engine. The engine is quite impressive visually in terms of watching the players knock the ball around. The actual interface? I'm on the fence. No split view would be a big bummer for me and I don't like the 'text/updates' etc being at the top of the screen, when they've always been at the bottom or in the top right. It might be able to change this too, but I didn't have long to experiment. 

I'll add more thoughts over the weekend. :)

With that brief dalliance out of the way, I decided to reset and begin my first career proper. Or should that be Pröpper? ;) No, wait, it's definitely 'proper'. 

Having just completed pre-season and approaching my first competitive game in charge at the Amex, here are a few notes which I didn't properly cover in my first post. I am aware that some of these will need to be copy/pasted over to the bugs forums, which I'll do shortly. 

MINOR:

- My scouting recommendations are bizarre. I put this down to the relatively small 'world knowledge' at the club (8%), but I am seeing a lot of recommendations for over-the-hill mercenaries. I guess it is because they are higher reputation and therefore 'known', but I don't think Joe Cole (35), Razvan "Roland" Rat (36),  Tim Cahill (37), Marcin Wasilewski (37), Lucho Gonzalez (36) or Wes Hoolahan (35) are really going to offer much. 

- Pre-match briefings don't seem to be properly implemented in this beta. In every one of my friendlies so far, as I approach the new season, there has been 'little to no reaction' to everything I've said, no matter how I've said it. One time, just to get a reaction, I told Steve Sidwell, in a voice eerily similar to Zippy from 'Rainbow', that his mother did unspeakable things to penguins for a £20 note - no reaction - *sigh*. I can see how these briefings are supposed to work and I'm sure they will by the time of the full release.

- Staff recommendations are a bit broken. I keep getting recommendations on how to 'improve' my scouting/coaching team - by hiring the exact same person, doing the exact same job. What is particularly amusing is if that person isn't very good at their job to begin with. 

- The UI... while it certainly isn't going to damage my enjoyment of the game, it is kind of ugly. The ALL CAPS on the header bar seems an odd choice. What is the rationale? I could read it perfectly fine before, now it just looks a bit strange. 

- Jerky loading - hitting continue seems to slightly mess up the UI at the top of the screen. The text can become slightly jumbled up and it gets a little more stuttery than usual. Loading times, generally, seem a touch slower - which is to be expected. After all, this is a newer game, playing on a system of the same age, technology has moved on but my computer hasn't. 

- The dressing room flavour text seems a bit... I don't know... RPG? It reminds me a little of those Commodore 64 text adventure games.

Screen_Shot_2017_10_28_at_01_29_32.png

Ignoring the fact that it is arguably a run-on sentence, which should have a comma after 'tangible', it just seems oddly out of place. 

Screen_Shot_2017_10_28_at_01_33_14.png

Also... why? Why are they being like that? Was it the Steve Sidwell's mum thing? I have literally no idea.

MAJOR:

TO FOLLOW!!!

Edited by Goddaça

Don't change things that ain't broken... but what was the reason for changing the classic 2D like in FM 17? it looks clunky..

Also not sure what's the reason for making us do extra clicks all over the place particularly in match day?

Edited by Wells

21 minutes ago, MeMyself2k13 said:

It will not be removed, because it's a part of the new graphics engine. Sadly, if you can't afford a gaming PC, you're out of luck from this point on. Buckle up and accept the fact that FM17 is the last version of the game that is GPU-friendly.

my machine can handle it, i just dislike it :D

47 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've downloaded the beta but haven't got time to play yet. From the comments here however, wouldn't some of the issues such as the capital letters be easily resolved by the early skinners? I never stick with the default skins personally.

Yes that's an easy one to change within the titlebar search panel, but you know there are very few who actually know about skinning in FM :D

4 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

This is the 2D Classic view in FM18;

fm18.thumb.png.9f0b4a2ed9c0a91bc44d2a639622e1e7.png

At the top right (where I have circled in yellow) is the widget menu, click that to get a list of widgets, pick the one that you want to display.

- Grab the title area of the widget and you can grab it.
- When you grab it icons will appear in the corners of the screen, drag it to one of these icons and an outline of a box will appear let go and the widget will now dock in said corner.
- Select the pin icon in the dock area and it will now pin the docked area, so the pitch only goes upto it.
- You can now drag this panel to resize it, like you could with the split view.

You can also get another docked panel;

- First you need to click the X to close the panel you have already docked.
- Now select the other widget you want to display and repeat the above steps to dock it in a different corner.
- Now re-enable the first widget and you should get two docked panels you can resize, like the below screenshot, you can also dock several widgets in each dock);

capture_003_27102017_214625.thumb.png.8691610efb5a26be2724c52def43a83a.png

Still...for me doesn't feel same. Will we be able to see the background picture on match day?

Edited by Crb1986

22 minutes ago, Crb1986 said:

Still...for me doesn't feel same. Will we be able to see the background picture on match day?

Just checked and yes Background pictures will display behind the pinned widgets which is the same behaviour as FM17 (as they only showed on the split view in FM17) - In the above screenshot it will be visible everywhere but in the middle bit where the pitch is. (though the default skins aren't that transparent so custom skins will likely be needed again).

Again if you cannot recreate your views from FM17 best thing to do is raise the issue in the bugs forum with a detailed description and screenshots if possible of how you had it set up in FM17 so any tweaks can be made if possible.

2 hours ago, footy1 said:

Use the 'Pin' button on the top right hand corner of the green pitch.

I did but nothing happens, it just removes the option to 'reduce' while the pitch still takes the bigger part of the screen. What am I missing!?

15 minutes ago, kandersson said:

I did but nothing happens, it just removes the option to 'reduce' while the pitch still takes the bigger part of the screen. What am I missing!?

What's your screen resolution?, looks like you need a resolution of at least 1368x768 to be able to have them side-by-side.

4 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

What's your screen resolution?, looks like you need a resolution of at least 1368x768 to be able to have them side-by-side.

Ok thanks, I have 1360 x 768 at least I'm not mad.  Now I want that screen though :lol:

Finding the loads times between days very long with the same 10 leagues I used in FM17.

I don't use player search and rely on my scouts, I can't figure out how to remove my scouts assignments. He seems to just go where he wants? He is scouting teams in Serbia when I am asking for Austrlaian teams. Its almost seems more restrictive than FM17. Any advice?

Had the game freeze when pausing a match and changing subs on the tactics screen twice.

1080GFX

16GB Ram

SSD Installation.

+ I can finally fix my squad view, go to another team and view their squad, come back to my own and find that no columns have been completely f*ed. Seems like a small thing, but this has been annoying me for so long!

+ Match engine seems like a large step up

+ The new scouting system and medical room-thingy is great.

- While I generally like the new scouting system, the players tab and shortlist is terrible. Maybe it can be fixed and I just haven't noticed it yet, but even on my fairly large desktop screen I can only see a few players at a time before I have to scroll. When your search finds 50+ players it's a hassle to look through them, especially when you want to scroll up and down a bit to properly assess the different players. It feels like trying to navigate your music folder in windows while it's stuck on "extra large icons".

- The number of drop down menus that's been substituted for extra windows demanding extra clicks are incredibly annoying. I have no idea what the idea behind this is, but it's absolutely terrible design. Time consuming and over-complicated.

Edited by Tullekunstner

2 hours ago, ben carter said:

There was a mod for FM17 that let you select a profile picture. I didn't use it personally but it might be released for FM18. 

thanks for the update

I was aware and used it

will find a work around when other skins come out

cheers

5 hours ago, vikeologist said:

Football Manager 2018 is the woman that you know you really should love. I mean, look at her, she looks fantastic. She's clever. She's everything you thought you wanted.

But it's just such hard work, and not fun.

Whereas FM17, it's just easy, and comfortable. You know where everything is and what buttons to press to get what you want.

'Does this person like me? How can I get in with the cool kids?' I ask myself, do these honestly sound like the kind of questions a 50-year old me wants to be concerned with? 

ditto

lots of good new features but finding some of the extra new things especially around the match engine a bit superfluous

and to be honest I dont find the game play much better than FM17

but hey I am an old fart too and it takes me time to  take to changes especially if I feel its been made just for the sake of it

sure in a few months will love the game 

at the moment my feedback out of 10

anticipation 9

retrospectively 6.5

1 minute ago, kingrobbo said:

ditto

lots of good new features but finding some of the extra new things especially around the match engine a bit superfluous

and to be honest I dont find the game play much better than FM17

but hey I am an old fart too and it takes me time to  take to changes especially if I feel its been made just for the sake of it

sure in a few months will love the game 

at the moment my feedback out of 10

anticipation 9

retrospectively 6.5

anticipation 5.5

retrospectively 8

I feel the Opposite :):D 

Even with Videos i didn't have any high expectations its just could be Another Fm 17 with slight improvements but now it feels good but clumsy with all UI changes which takes time

7 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Noticing a lot of low crosses being spilled into the net with no pressure on the keeper

hope not this was a big bug last year too

it was reported and resolved in second patch?

if the thread is still there some of the examples were horrendous 

8 minutes ago, turgi said:

In match, when making a change, there is no confirmation button in tactic screen. You need to go back to the pitch and only then confirm.

I assume its there in the Right bottom. below the Instructions (OI)

Edited by ferrarinseb

13 minutes ago, turgi said:

In match, when making a change, there is no confirmation button in tactic screen. You need to go back to the pitch and only then confirm.

It's in the bottom right, it's just inexplicably small. Took me a few seconds to find it the first time.

1 hour ago, Deisler26 said:

Noticing a lot of low crosses being spilled into the net with no pressure on the keeper

1 hour ago, ferrarinseb said:

and Keeper some times putting them into the net with no pressure 

Both of these sound worth reporting in the match engine section of the bugs forum, supported with .pkm examples please.

So, my opinions on new game, for the first 4-5 hours I played.

I like the new 2d and 3d engines, I know I'm in minority but I do like them a lot. Ball physics as well (when you can see the ball :D ). I hate the match in between highlight thingy. That's why I hated most of the FM16 and FM17 skins, but since people used them a lot it's kinda normal that they released this. I only ever wanted to see match stats between highlights and it's a shame I can't do that anymore. UI seems a bit slow, but BETA, and is generally hard to navigate, but ok, I will get used to it. Scouting, I don't know, I kinda hate it now, not being able to get a simple scouting report in inbox is a pain, but ok. I like dynamics and medical centre though. New tactical options are ok, but I expected more of with the ball and without the ball options. I witnessed some bizarre defending, like Bonucci getting the ball and then just continued to run outside of the pitch while other guy just went alone on the goalkeeper and scored. Added time is definately a bug, as I reported, and the wingbacks seem overpowered again. And long shots are just painful, and I just hate them. Set pieces need some adjusting as well, defending is bad and attacking corners aren't that great as well. But I like the game for now, just expect a lot of those small reported things to be fixed.

Is there a way to not show the stadium when playing in 3D mode? I remember this was possible in FM17 but can't see the option in FM18. I've managed to turn off the crowd but I also want the stadium to not be displayed, I only want to see the pitch in 3D.

Thanks.

It doesn't look like launch command in Steam to change user data location is working properly for me... my tactics and set pieces are defaulting to the folder that was created upon installation to my C: drive, rather than the location I set-up on my A: drive. I did everything the same way as FM17. Would appreciate feedback!

There are many additions to the game, most of which are very exciting. My favourite so far is the tactical scenarios.

However I cannot help but think the frequencies and durations of injuries are a bit messed up. I have seen a player out with cold for 4 weeks and another with concussion for 3 weeks. During pre-season, despite resting my players before and after each match, I got six major injuries (minimum 2 months) to my key players.  Before anyone says "it's your training that causes the injuries", I have been playing this game since 99 and I know how to handle training during pre-season and regular season. In FM2017 I had minimal problems with injuries.

Anyone else concerned about the injuries or is it just me?

11 minutes ago, frank_olaf said:

Is there a way to not show the stadium when playing in 3D mode? I remember this was possible in FM17 but can't see the option in FM18. I've managed to turn off the crowd but I also want the stadium to not be displayed, I only want to see the pitch in 3D.

Thanks.

You can try the options under preferences.

In Match -> uncheck show pre-match introduction

Processing -> check skip match preview in build up to match

One day we'll get better team talks, right? My Everton team just won 2-1 in a pre-season friendly against Wolves and these are my options:

postmatch.thumb.PNG.a0bd3c47a19f3db93942a5246f9c9358.PNG

1. I say nothing and get no reaction - may as well just stand there mute, staring at my players as they get changed.

2. I'm not happy that you won a game you were always in control of.

3. I wasn't expecting you to beat a team from the league below us, I'm delighted.

4. I wasn't expecting you to play so well against a team from the league below us, I'm delighted.

5. Don't get complacent in the next pre-season friendly.

In context, none of those options are that useful. Where's the "well played, you got the job done, let's go home"? I know this isn't exactly feedback on FM18 because this has been the same for a few years now, but this feels like something that was implemented ages ago and never properly revisited. Let's have some context-sensitive teamtalks!

8 minutes ago, thermo said:

Anyone else concerned about the injuries or is it just me?

There is a thread about injuries in the bugs forum. If you think that there is something wrong in your game provide a saved game. That way the coders can look into it.

9 minutes ago, vasilli07 said:

You can try the options under preferences.

In Match -> uncheck show pre-match introduction

Processing -> check skip match preview in build up to match

Thanks.

I've already got those two unchecked/checked but the stadium still appears. 

Edited by frank_olaf

5 minutes ago, KUBI said:

There is a thread about injuries in the bugs forum. If you think that there is something wrong in your game provide a saved game. That way the coders can look into it.

I already have. But I want to see if there are other people who think the same. 

31 minutes ago, scholesvolley said:

Is there a way to get scout reports to inbox like previous versions rather than navigating to scouting tab and selecting players scouted? 

The best way to replicate this in FM18 is to set your scouting preferences (Go to Scouting Centre then click on preferences) to receive scout reports every day.

Unfortunately, this means you'll get a blank email on days when there is no scouting report.

I miss being able to get each individual scouting report as a separate inbox message, like in FM17. Hopefully this can be brought back. 

6 minutes ago, JayArr said:

One day we'll get better team talks, right? My Everton team just won 2-1 in a pre-season friendly against Wolves and these are my options:

postmatch.thumb.PNG.a0bd3c47a19f3db93942a5246f9c9358.PNG

1. I say nothing and get no reaction - may as well just stand there mute, staring at my players as they get changed.

2. I'm not happy that you won a game you were always in control of.

3. I wasn't expecting you to beat a team from the league below us, I'm delighted.

4. I wasn't expecting you to play so well against a team from the league below us, I'm delighted.

5. Don't get complacent in the next pre-season friendly.

In context, none of those options are that useful. Where's the "well played, you got the job done, let's go home"? I know this isn't exactly feedback on FM18 because this has been the same for a few years now, but this feels like something that was implemented ages ago and never properly revisited. Let's have some context-sensitive teamtalks!

I am underwhelmed by the team talks as well. Wouldn't be hard to write a bit more script and give us some different options. 

3 minutes ago, thermo said:

I already have. But I want to see if there are other people who think the same. 

When you compare all the injuries in your league you will see that some clubs have more luck than others, like in real football. But in general the injury rate is about 80% of real football.

Just now, KUBI said:

When you compare all the injuries in your league you will see that some clubs have more luck than others, like in real football. But in general the injury is rate about 80% of real football.

I can accept that the frequency thing is simply bad fortune. But the durations? Concussion out for 3 weeks? Cold out for 4 weeks? This does not make sense! And please don't tell me if the player is a from a lower league or if the physios are not good this could happen. It is Hatem Ben Arfa we are talking about. And the physios have all physiotherapy stats higher than 15.

4 minutes ago, dewhirst said:

I am underwhelmed by the team talks as well. Wouldn't be hard to write a bit more script and give us some different options. 

I've been playing fm touch exclusively this year, and quotes like this make me wonder if I'll ever return to full mode.

Just now, thermo said:

I can accept that the frequency thing is simply bad fortune. But the durations? Concussion out for 3 weeks? Cold out for 4 weeks? This does not make sense! And please don't tell me if the player is a from a lower league or if the physios are not good this could happen. It is Hatem Ben Arfa we are talking about. And the physios have all physiotherapy stats higher than 15.

There are ice hockey players who are out for 2 months or more with a concussion. Cold could be a viral infection with acute bronchities.