Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

Message added by Neil Brock

Recommended Posts

In a penalty shoot out, nowhere on the screen does it tell you the current score of the shoot out, you need to count it yourself with the ticks and crosses at the top. It's not rocket science to do that, but all previous games also showed a visual scoreline. There seems to be a lot of really small, but really helpful, things removed this year for seemingly no reason. 

 

 

penalties.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why you can't just give us the option of a "instant result / simulate match" skin out of the box. It would cost you next to nothing to make in man hours (probably more like minutes for people that know how). 

PS! Because some nitpick is probably gonna say it.. Yes I know there'll probably a custom one available in no time, that's not the point. Something that easy to make, that so many use, should be in the game by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have been playing all day trying to get used to the new features and my initial impression is that this is the best FM in the series by far. For some, UI changes and controls may take some time getting used to but in my opinion the investment is worth it. I really like the improved tactical intelligence in the ME. I'll post more comprehensive feedback later. Great job SI. :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cannot get the analysis tool to work. I'm trying to view passing combinations and the linked events leading to goals but nothing appears on the pitch. Am I missing something or is it BETA related?

 

Edit: Also it seems I can show all passes / shots for the whole team or none at all, rather than focus on individual players

Edited by rdbayly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

In a penalty shoot out, nowhere on the screen does it tell you the current score of the shoot out, you need to count it yourself with the ticks and crosses at the top. It's not rocket science to do that, but all previous games also showed a visual scoreline. There seems to be a lot of really small, but really helpful, things removed this year for seemingly no reason. 

 

 

penalties.JPG

This issue is known to us, cheers. In future please post issues in the relevant bugs forum else they are likely to be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Seb Wassell said:

This issue is known to us, cheers. In future please post issues in the relevant bugs forum else they are likely to be missed.

I didn't know it was an issue, I thought it was just the design, hence why I posted feedback about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ohanzee said:

I don't understand why you can't just give us the option of a "instant result / simulate match" skin out of the box. It would cost you next to nothing to make in man hours (probably more like minutes for people that know how). 

PS! Because some nitpick is probably gonna say it.. Yes I know there'll probably a custom one available in no time, that's not the point. Something that easy to make, that so many use, should be in the game by now.

We haven't done it because Football Manager is supposed to be a simulation of football management. Probably the most important part of that is managing your team on the day of a match - if we provide an option to 'skip' that entirely it's not really a simulation any more. We've already added it for Football Manager Touch for more casual players, but it's unlikely we'll be adding it to full FM any time soon. Sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I didn't know it was an issue, I thought it was just the design, hence why I posted feedback about it. 

Worth taking the gamble  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear SI

Despite the pitches/grass i am loving the Beta version so far. Many thanks on what looks to be another great version of FM.  :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

We haven't done it because Football Manager is supposed to be a simulation of football management. Probably the most important part of that is managing your team on the day of a match - if we provide an option to 'skip' that entirely it's not really a simulation any more. We've already added it for Football Manager Touch for more casual players, but it's unlikely we'll be adding it to full FM any time soon. Sorry. 

Fair enough, but then why make it so easy to add through skinning. Doesn't add up to me. You could just add it as a not-default option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ohanzee said:

Fair enough, but then why make it so easy to add through skinning. Doesn't add up to me. You could just add it as a not-default option.

We've always been quite flexible when allowing people to make changes to the game - why would we intentionally block something out if we don't have to? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

It's an approximation and an indication, and probably shouldn't be taken literally. I would read it as 'you have a flat midfield and a flat defence, this may cause issues; make sure you apply roles and duties accordingly to mitigate.'

indeed I believe you are right here. However, the problem is that two players on the diagonal are presented as covering the central zone better than two players in line. That really isn't the case. The diagonal setup should have gaps in front of DM and behind the CM just like two CM's have weakness behind them (which could be mitigated by higher dline or more aggressive CB's. Don't know how you can mitigate two central players in such a poor defensive position unless they have supernatural abilities and appear in two places at the time.

 

19 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

Also, in geometric terms the diagonal is further than the sides, so a diagonal axis, in theory, covers more space. Did Pythagoras teach you nothing, Sir?

true that, but the diagonal in the central zone is still longer than the one on the flank so these two players n central zone will still have to cover more space than those on the flank. and more space to cover doesn't mean they will be more efficient, if anything they will have more problems. That is why most of defensive shapes have a whole squad (10 players) within 30x15 rectangle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing for a couple of hours and not getting to deep into this version yet my biggest gripe is the colour of the pitches. only reason i stopped playing is because they caused me to get a headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

After playing for a couple of hours and not getting to deep into this version yet my biggest gripe is the colour of the pitches. only reason i stopped playing is because they caused me to get a headache.

I believe it was mentioned above by @Neil Dejyothin that this is an area of ongoing work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I think he probably means if a stadium in real life is filled all the way round, it shouldn't be represented in game as having four separate stands. As I've mentioned before, the team I support in real life who I'm managing just now has a very simple design of two 1-tiered stands down both sides of the pitch and uncovered terracing at either end. I fail to see how licencing can stop you from at least getting the basic layout of a stadium correct without using any 'specific' architecture. 

I quite agree with this and also teams whose tunnel is in the corner (eg Old Trafford) in the game has it along the side and vice versa, again I can't see where licencing issues would prevent SI from at least getting this right

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, penza said:

amazing! can someone provide a screenshot and/or provide a list of the newest ones?

Not got a list of all the new ones but Miles did tweet that a new PPM is "crosses early"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We haven't done it because Football Manager is supposed to be a simulation of football management. Probably the most important part of that is managing your team on the day of a match - if we provide an option to 'skip' that entirely it's not really a simulation any more. We've already added it for Football Manager Touch for more casual players, but it's unlikely we'll be adding it to full FM any time soon. Sorry. 

You're reasoning is quite sound - and I do agree with you to a point.

However, there's times when playing and say you're Barcelona and it comes to match day - and you're playing Copa Del Rey and it's  3rd Division Spanish side - a team you can play your youngsters. 

It would be nice in these instances to be able to "simulate" the match without having to sit through the entire set of highlights. 

This is why I often holiday over match days. 

 

There also comes times when I've won the league and it's only early April. I don't necessarily want to have to sit through all remaining 10 games simply because it's a "simulation of management and it's important to be at the match".

 

First and foremost - it's supposed to be enjoyable - and there's so many areas of the game that are enjoyable - and each has their own experience and this is why the game works! It works because everyone can find a way to play and enjoy it the way they want to enjoy it. 

 

And part of the enjoyment for me is getting far into the future as quick as possible, and building superteams, getting a new stadium, signing youth players and making them superstars.

It's not enjoyable to sit through 10 games that have no significance any more - as you have won the league already .

 

I can see the value of adding this to the game. And those that dont' want it can ignore it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you alt-tab out of the game right as the game ends (i guess the new post-game screen), match sounds keep on playing for a long time. (Mine stopped maybe after a week of ingame time).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We've always been quite flexible when allowing people to make changes to the game - why would we intentionally block something out if we don't have to? 

Yea, I'm sorry but that just makes no sense to me. You don't want us to use it, but you'll let us have it if we make a custom skin to use it. It makes no sense to not just have it as a checkbox in the preferences when the functionality is already there. Just like turning off attribute masking and probably a dozen other options that aren't on by default. Making something available but hard to use just because is... I actually don't have a good word for that..  actually I do, but I'd rather not go there.

But whatever. I bought the game already, but I'll just wait with playing it until someone spends their free time turning an option that is actually already there on then. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neil Dejyothin said:

This may be a bug or a data issue, please report it in the relevant area.

If it is  a bug, it has been in quite a few realeases now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

You're reasoning is quite sound - and I do agree with you to a point.

However, there's times when playing and say you're Barcelona and it comes to match day - and you're playing Copa Del Rey and it's  3rd Division Spanish side - a team you can play your youngsters. 

It would be nice in these instances to be able to "simulate" the match without having to sit through the entire set of highlights. 

This is why I often holiday over match days. 

 

There also comes times when I've won the league and it's only early April. I don't necessarily want to have to sit through all remaining 10 games simply because it's a "simulation of management and it's important to be at the match".

 

First and foremost - it's supposed to be enjoyable - and there's so many areas of the game that are enjoyable - and each has their own experience and this is why the game works! It works because everyone can find a way to play and enjoy it the way they want to enjoy it. 

 

And part of the enjoyment for me is getting far into the future as quick as possible, and building superteams, getting a new stadium, signing youth players and making them superstars.

It's not enjoyable to sit through 10 games that have no significance any more - as you have won the league already .

 

I can see the value of adding this to the game. And those that dont' want it can ignore it. 

For a scenario such as this it may be worth noting that you can use the "Go On Holiday" option with instructions to use current tactics and team selection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, you think its worth to start the long career save in this beta or to wait? last year i started in the beta and all was perfect, but i have seen some people comment on some weird transfers and so on, and reading 15 pages is too much xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cant see the segundo volante in the dm slot, am i missing something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brigzi said:

cant see the segundo volante in the dm slot, am i missing something?

You need two DMs in the formation to be able to use it (I think!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Philip Rolfe said:

You need two DMs in the formation to be able to use it (I think!).

it seems you can only pick it when having a player at dmr dml, if you move it to the middle the role changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, brigzi said:

cant see the segundo volante in the dm slot, am i missing something?

 

3 minutes ago, Philip Rolfe said:

You need two DMs in the formation to be able to use it (I think!).

As the man says, two DMs are required for the role to become valid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brigzi said:

it seems you can only pick it when having a player at dmr dml, if you move it to the middle the role changes. 

also the two new cm roles dont work in the middle slot, only mcr mcl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brigzi said:

also the two new cm roles dont work in the middle slot, only mcr mcl

Intended Behaviour of all roles. Both the Human and the AI will not pick the Segundo Volante, the Mezzala and the Carrilero as the Central Player, as these are roles that are best when they are paired with another player (Segundo Volante) and best when in a wide central midfielder (Mezzala & Carrilero).

The new roles are in the game to add to formations and flexibility. These three new roles are all functional to a specific formation type to help with realism.

Cheers,

Nic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

For a scenario such as this it may be worth noting that you can use the "Go On Holiday" option with instructions to use current tactics and team selection.

well I already said that. So if you can holiday over a match day then why not just a button in for instant result?

In reality manager won't take off time for a holiday. So in truth it would be more realistic.

Plus when you holiday over games the assistAnt manager gets the praise and month awards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

indeed I believe you are right here. However, the problem is that two players on the diagonal are presented as covering the central zone better than two players in line. That really isn't the case. The diagonal setup should have gaps in front of DM and behind the CM just like two CM's have weakness behind them (which could be mitigated by higher dline or more aggressive CB's. Don't know how you can mitigate two central players in such a poor defensive position unless they have supernatural abilities and appear in two places at the time

 

Well, there's the argument that, at a basic level, it provides better coverage because it reduces the likelihood of the opposition midfielders getting 'wrong side' of your midfield. Of course, it's still two players, and against a three-man midfield it will still have issues.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you a) move the two CMs to the DM stratum, or b) play three CBs. 

I'd suggest the info is probably aimed at beginners, if I can say that without coming across as condescending. The bigger issue would be if that plays through into the ME despite any of the mitigations you mentioned earlier. I'm set up with an attacking 4-4-1-1 and haven't seen too many problems yet.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FM18 has followed FM16 & FM17 in being quite stable (so far!).  Good job.

As for the game itself, I am loving the Dynamics addition.  The jury is still out on the scouting, though this could well be because I am not used to it.

Also like the new Medical Centre, which lists the potentially injury prone players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, stoned_assasin said:

After playing for a couple of hours and not getting to deep into this version yet my biggest gripe is the colour of the pitches. only reason i stopped playing is because they caused me to get a headache.

I found that turning the 3D graphics quality up to very high improved that quite a lot.

I was also surprised that my graphics card could handle it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Also like the new Medical Centre, which lists the potentially injury prone players.

Just worth pointing out here that "Injury Susceptibility" does not directly equal "Injury Proneness".

Injury Susceptibility is a fluid value that reflects a player's hidden Injury Proneness, recurring injures, recent injury history, etc. It is also modified by the ability of your Sports Scientist (or Physio if no SS employed) to detect such things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any reasoning been given for the changes to Commentary Only, where it now seems to describe everything happening at lightning speed rather skipping through to commentated highlights.

Makes it pretty impossible to follow and a 7+ minutes slog to get through while not following it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Purple Bane said:

Any reasoning been given for the changes to Commentary Only, where it now seems to describe everything happening at lightning speed rather skipping through to commentated highlights.

Makes it pretty impossible to follow and a 7+ minutes slog to get through while not following it.

If you could raise the issue on our match engine forum our team can investigate - https://community.sigames.com/forum/566-match-engine/

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil Dejyothin said:

Yeah, it is.

Is the ABBA format applied to all competitions in the game.

I may be wrong, but I believed the ABBA system was only on trial in certain comps, i.e. Carabao Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

Well, there's the argument that, at a basic level, it provides better coverage because it reduces the likelihood of the opposition midfielders getting 'wrong side' of your midfield. Of course, it's still two players, and against a three-man midfield it will still have issues

indeed, it can't be looked in isolation and without accounting for an overall contribution from the defensive unit. In general, a player in support at an angle is default defensive behaviour. It however, shouldn't even be possible to setup a defensive unit in such an asymmetrical positions unless there is a really good reason in an off game. certainly not as a default formation for most matches.

 

11 minutes ago, ajsr1982 said:

I'd suggest the info is probably aimed at beginners, if I can say that without coming across as condescending. The bigger issue would be if that plays through into the ME despite any of the mitigations you mentioned earlier. I'm set up with an attacking 4-4-1-1 and haven't seen too many problems yet.

 

1

That is encouraging to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Smurf said:

well I already said that. So if you can holiday over a match day then why not just a button in for instant result?

In reality manager won't take off time for a holiday. So in truth it would be more realistic.

Plus when you holiday over games the assistAnt manager gets the praise and month awards

A manager wouldn't 'Instant Result' either, they'd watch the game even if it is essentially pointless in terms of league position.

Full-fat FM aims for more realism - if you want it to be quicker, with less realism, you've got Touch, Mobile or just wait for someone to mod it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Smurf said:

well I already said that. So if you can holiday over a match day then why not just a button in for instant result?

In reality manager won't take off time for a holiday. So in truth it would be more realistic.

Plus when you holiday over games the assistAnt manager gets the praise and month awards

Wait until custom skins are available, they have usually instant result activated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Purple Bane said:

Any reasoning been given for the changes to Commentary Only, where it now seems to describe everything happening at lightning speed rather skipping through to commentated highlights.

Makes it pretty impossible to follow and a 7+ minutes slog to get through while not following it.

Yeah I've noticed this, past versions if nothing was happening it would skip though say the 20 mins of the game now with only a couple of shots and free kicks it takes forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok a few thoughts so far:

I like the fact that the ball no longer constantly gets stopped on the side lines

I don't like the score and time being stuck in the corner of the screen nor do I like the match progression bar their either

I'm struggling to pick up the ball

Defending free kicks seems to result in a line strung across who don't react to the ball but go back into a line.

In the gaps between the action my player rating screen vanishes.

And oh lord all the extra clicks on match days.

Edited by Swindon69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, roykela said:

Mixed feelings about the game at the moment.
But the one thing that is almost driving me insane, even though it's a Beta, is the custom views.

Again?... this is disappointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jusnord said:

Is Jerome Boateng really THIS good irl?

He was quite widely considered one of the best in the world under Guardiola.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are still the issues with the Deep Lying Playermaker role from FM17. 

The DLP has "shoot less often" as a non-removable PI when setting up tactics. But in training, the DLP role has "long shots" as a focus. 

That doesn't really make sense, does it? And why can't we tell a DLP to shoot more often?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Liquid Cool said:

There are still the issues with the Deep Lying Playermaker role from FM17. 

The DLP has "shoot less often" as a non-removable PI when setting up tactics. But in training, the DLP role has "long shots" as a focus. 

That doesn't really make sense, does it? And why can't we tell a DLP to shoot more often?

Please raise it on the bugs forum and we can investigate - thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The scouting although more detailed is less user friendly when searching for players 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...