Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Where did you get the idea scouts would never recommend unattached players. 

I'm in the lowest Swedish division with Boo  FK and although I've set staff to handle scout assignments I handle scout meetings and have had15-20 unattached players recommended. Based on the text most of these have been presented as the player getting in touch and then I send my scouts to review, and a few are from my scouts knowledge. 

I think it seems more realistic for lower levels than before (except for the fact I've been allowed to hire about 20 staff at amateur Swedish team). 

Well, that is encouraging to hear. So far my scouts have only returned attached players, but maybe I don't have a large enough sample.

I do get unattached players presenting themselves. That and director free transfer suggestions have been my only source of free agents. My scouts haven't recommended any.

I'll try setting my staff to handle scouting assignments and see what they turn up. Although, I've only been allowed to hire 2 scouts so I don't know if I'll be as successful as you :)

Thank you for your reply.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Ultimoroger said:

Again, thank you for your help, I do appreciate it.

You're welcome!

As for searching, I don't think "out of contract" really counts as attribute searching, although I grant you the second part of the process I suggested would fall that way. But if you wanted to play 'hard core' LLM, you could still find out-of-contract players and then scout them. In the age of instant Internet information I don't see how that breaks anyone's sense of immersion.

I've played a few LLM saves in recent FMs - usually with Darlington. One of my abiding ambitions - and FM18 may be the one - is to return Darlington to their rightful place in Division One. I don't really have the long-term patience to take a lower-league club to the Premiership and beyond. But when I do play lower-league, I'm not bothered about using the Internet for information. Seems entirely realistic to me.

Well, you can call it bad luck but that's what I've got after 4 (!) friendlies, including against my B team. Of course 3 of 4 are minor injuries, but 1 injury per match... I don't think this is realistic. And most of these players had "low injury risk" in medical center. I'm terrified whould whould have happened if they had "high risk"... And these were only pre-season friendlies which should not have such aggression. 

barca_injuries.png

Oh, forgot to say - for Messi this is the second injury in 4 games... The first one was also minor. So, that is 5 injuries in 4 games.

Edited by Exius

after update :

1. Home button fine :thup:

2. Calender still broke when go on holiday :thdn:

3. Still blank picture on manager profile :thdn:

4. Only commentary too slooowww. All what happen show in commentary. :seagull:

Hope just key things (such goal, card,injured, etc) appear in commentary. 

Regarding Man City. I've played three games now and twice Guardiola has been sacked in December with City around 15th. 

Not sure if this is an issue anyone else has seen but City seem to really under perform in the games I've played so far.

1 hour ago, ben carter said:

Not sure if this is an issue anyone else has seen but City seem to really under perform in the games I've played so far.

I'm managing in Germany currently, so it might be an issue with background etc, but they won the league and made it to the final of the CL in the first season.

what is up with the default corners, players don't seem to be anywhere near getting on the end of them, as they don't see to attack the ball, and just linger between the penalty spot and the edge of the area, while the corner goes in the gap between the goal and the penalty spot.

22 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

what is up with the default corners, players don't seem to be anywhere near getting on the end of them, as they don't see to attack the ball, and just linger between the penalty spot and the edge of the area, while the corner goes in the gap between the goal and the penalty spot.

I find it's best to set up your own set pieces. I used to just leave them at default but I took the time out to properly set them up and now I have centre backs scoring and assisting from corners. 

5 hours ago, Exius said:

Well, you can call it bad luck but that's what I've got after 4 (!) friendlies, including against my B team. Of course 3 of 4 are minor injuries, but 1 injury per match... I don't think this is realistic. And most of these players had "low injury risk" in medical center. I'm terrified whould whould have happened if they had "high risk"... And these were only pre-season friendlies which should not have such aggression. 

barca_injuries.png

Oh, forgot to say - for Messi this is the second injury in 4 games... The first one was also minor. So, that is 5 injuries in 4 games.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this. That's considerably lower than many clubs suffer during pre-season in real life. It's the most vulnerable time for short term injuries, and I personally think it's good that SI have implemented more short term ones this year, because that IS more realistic. 

37 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this. That's considerably lower than many clubs suffer during pre-season in real life. It's the most vulnerable time for short term injuries, and I personally think it's good that SI have implemented more short term ones this year, because that IS more realistic. 

People also tend to go straight for very heavy training for long periods of time during pre-season, too - which is not necessarily appropriate.

6 hours ago, smdw2008 said:

4. Only commentary too slooowww. All what happen show in commentary. :seagull:

I also have this, when on only commentary is comments on literally everything even stuff that's not worth mention, and takes like 20 minutes to do a match, yet oddly I did a match showing key highlights and it was a lot quicker, did it in half the time.

I know there's been a lot of negative comments about the beta, and I have posted 1 or 2 areas that I didn't like, but after having a good period of time on the game and getting used to the all new features, I think it's great and am thoroughly enjoying it. Obviously there are areas that need ironing out but it is the beta after all.

Some really nice touches such as the trophy presentation, and the green and browns areas on the tactics screen, and the lines to show how well players link together.

The only thing for me is the match day is quite slow and a little laggy, especially on only commentary, yet when change to show key highlights it's quicker and does it in half the time, I'm sure I read that it is a known issue so should imagine be sorted for full release.

I have also found it very difficult to get strikers scoring, yet my wingers and number 10 score plenty, could be my tactics though I suppose, and I do have peter crouch as a striker haha 😂.

But great game again overall, and I'm sure once all the issues have been fixed It will be even better.

6 hours ago, Exius said:

barca_injuries.png

Do you play with Close Down More instructions? I noticed that if I push the close down instructions before the players start to get match fit I get A LOT more injuries in the pre season, this time I only added close down instructions once most players reached match fitness of around 80%. 

Close Down More increase intensity quite a lot and might increase injury risk as well. Seems more likely in this version than FM17 - and I think it feels realistic! Don't go pressing-bananas in the first few games.

Edited by Karnack

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Stevicus said:

I find it's best to set up your own set pieces. I used to just leave them at default but I took the time out to properly set them up and now I have centre backs scoring and assisting from corners. 

It was on the build notes that the Attacking Corner Default for Human Users only that they were quite “vanilla”. We are looking to update them for release.

However, since we have put a lot of time into Set Pieces, the default being quite basic does let those users who didn’t create their own Set Pieces before go and get creative :) 

I like to see this as a nice opportunity for fans of the game to expand their knowledge of the game and Set Piece Set-Up ;) 

I hope you all keep enjoying the Early Access Beta of FM18, keep reporting bugs in the bugs forum and most importantly get deep into your save so you can experience those lovely glory cutscenes

Cheers, 

Nic

9 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

can someone please advise on how to lose the pitch backround when I am using commentary only option during match day, on fm 17 and previous versions when I used commentary only it was a plain backround with player stats etc until I decided I wanted to view match goals or highlights.

With this pitch backround it makes inferior laptops work harder during a match due to graphics ect so hopefully I am missing this option but cant see it anywhere???

I would also like to know how to do this or have the option to. I am having graphical problems because of it and also prefer it off and I know other people that feel the same.

There isn't much in the way of customisation.

I play matches with 'only commentary', which then turns the pitch screen into a split of both teams body language and some smaller tabs.

It would be much handier if I could change the screens in the split like I can with the tabs, so that I can see my team stats (like in FM17) allowing me to keep an eye on condition etc, and whatever other tab I fancy using.

Also, the team stats screen during a match is considerably less detailed than it was in previous versions, and lacks buttons for quick sub, shouts, etc etc. As this is the screen I always preferred as my main view in previous games, this is a frustrating change.

Matches also revert to showing highlights in the background instead of staying on 'only commentary' when I switch to any other tab besides 'pitch', which then slows down the match in the process. 

7 hours ago, ben carter said:

Regarding Man City. I've played three games now and twice Guardiola has been sacked in December with City around 15th. 

Yup, sacked on mine in the first season too, he's now boss of Chelsea after Conte (and Klopp) were both sacked. Chelsea under-performing now.

Aside from a the much mentioned interface issues and the weird scouting setup, I'm enjoying the beta so far.

I noticed that that you now get given a pop-up option window to cancel tactical changes if you score a goal before the changes have actually been applied. I also love the little on pitch celebration sequences that you get when your team wins a competition. Both nice touches. :thup:

Has anyone noticed that you occasionally get no feedback at all from your assistant on the analysis screens during the match? Sometimes when I check at half-time (for example), the panel is just completely empty. If I'm 3-1 down I expect a little bit of input from my assistant godamnit! :lol:

Edited by the_gaffa

Just a minor complaint - Not liking the fact that when a player scores, their total goals tally no longer appears in the match engine. e.g. Ronaldo scores and you would normally see a caption with '40th goal of the season'. Like I said, not a major issue but its something which is really bugs me!

35 minutes ago, harrycarrie said:

Yup, sacked on mine in the first season too, he's now boss of Chelsea after Conte (and Klopp) were both sacked. Chelsea under-performing now.

On a holiday save I did, Conte stayed at Chelsea for 8 (EIGHT) years!! Only to be replaced by Carlo Ancelotti

Enjoying the Beta so far, more of the same from SI which can't be a bad thing.  Some nice improvements but a few minor gripes:

The 'conditions' menu on e.g. a player search are now an extra click away, hidden in their own little pop-up.  More work for my mouse finger yes, but more than that it is inconvenient not to be able to see the results of slight tweaks instantly.

It's my preference of course but I'd like more of a visual cue of events on the match screen.  Offsides, bookings, that sort of thing.  At the moment it seems these details blend in to the top bar too much.

The scouting reports are an absolute chore to click through.

On the other hand I really appreciate the effort to provide more information on the tactics screen (not that it will do me much good :lol: )

2 hours ago, Super Bladesman said:

People also tend to go straight for very heavy training for long periods of time during pre-season, too - which is not necessarily appropriate.

Yes, heavy training increases injuries risk, but I had average training intensity.

2 hours ago, Karnack said:

Do you play with Close Down More instructions? I noticed that if I push the close down instructions before the players start to get match fit I get A LOT more injuries in the pre season, this time I only added close down instructions once most players reached match fitness of around 80%. 

Close Down More increase intensity quite a lot and might increase injury risk as well. Seems more likely in this version than FM17 - and I think it feels realistic! Don't go pressing-bananas in the first few games.

Indeed, I'm playing with "Close Down More". Didn't notice that it leads to more injuries in FM 17, but thanks - I will lower it until all the players are fully fit.

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

If it really is more realistic - great. I didn't notice so many injuries during pre-season IRL this year for example. Maybe when it happens to your team - you take it more personally.

8 minutes ago, Exius said:

Yes, heavy training increases injuries risk, but I had average training intensity.

Indeed, I'm playing with "Close Down More". Didn't notice that it leads to more injuries in FM 17, but thanks - I will lower it until all the players are fully fit.

If it really is more realistic - great. I didn't notice so many injuries during pre-season IRL this year for example. Maybe when it happens to your team - you take it more personally.

That's interesting. One thing I've done is in the Tactic Screen, when viewing the Fitness option I've changed the 'Injury Susceptibility' column the 'Overall Risk'.

This shows the overall risk of a player picking up an injury - was surprised to see it High for four of my players, but then they'd played the first three games of pre-season in 14 days. These were all in intensive roles too.

Anyone else getting a lack of goals?

I'm pretty much half way through a Premiership season and no one seems to be scoring many goals, we are 20 games in and the highest scorers in the league have 29 goals for, the top scorer in the league has 9. 

I thought it was just me and my tactics (most of my games are 1-0, 1-1 etc.) but seems the whole league is struggling to score goals. 

Will check out the calendar bug when i load up later. My experience was it happened after playing the game for a while (about 90 minutes, 3 weeks) and the game became less stable the longer you played it without exiting and restarting. 

Seems a lot smoother since the update. I haven't done a match on only commentary since I had to close the game down via task manager 3 times due to it not responding. I do find its quicker on data analyst with key highlights on though and I've not had any not responding issues since making the change. 

Not sure I understand how scouting packages work esp in relation to scouting knowledge ( btw there seems to be a bug with clubs scouting knowledge, already reported). From what I understand they don't actually have an impact on club's knowledge bars, so I guess the main benefit would be having more scouting meetings (which I'm finding extremely time consuming and not user friendly) with more reports from more countries? If that's the case I'd probably do without any scouting package, and hire foreign staff with knowledge of various countries and rely on their knowledge + individual scouting reports based on attributes filters (i.e. my modus operandi in past editions of the game).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

6 minutes ago, penza said:

hi all, 

what does state of emergency status mean in fm18?
Thanks all

Have never seen this used so wonder if you are mistranslating. What is the context and the original text?

Is it a financial thing, i.e. in receivership? Or manager stability?

• SI Staff
17 hours ago, Roncatto99 said:

OK, some more feedback.

INJURIES:-

Wingers seem to be super injury prone.

Ive played 7 test games with 3 different teams.

Salah - 8 weeks

Townsend - 6 Weeks

5 other wingers with 3 to 4 week injuries.

That seems too coincidental.

3D:-

Why is there a camera angle on a free kick that is from high up, zoomed in from behind the goal so you cannot see the result of the freekick.

CORNERS:-

Ok, players are just not attacking the ball when the cross comes in.

There is no direct correlation between position and injuries. Indirectly, the distance a player covers in match, the likelihood they are to suffer collisions/tackles, their natural fitness (via recovery from match) etc. will obviously impact their injury chances.

2 hours ago, Per Annum said:

Still since the hotfix Im still having bizarre movements in the calendar when processing, both stuff coming flying in from the right way too fast, and moving up and down too fast and piling on top of each other.

yeh, I actually find that issue (and lag) more of a hinderance that i thought i would.  wouldnt say gamebreaker but puts me off playing it at the mo

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Karnack said:

Intensity is indeed directly linked to injuries.

2 minutes ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

yeh, I actually find that issue (and lag) more of a hinderance that i thought i would.  wouldnt say gamebreaker but puts me off playing it at the mo

Indeed, its exhausting to witness. Until it's fixed I pretty much can't play FM with full attention, only by hitting continue and then e.g. watching football and looking back later to see if FM is done processing.

13 hours ago, Gizmo85 said:

can someone please advise on how to lose the pitch backround when I am using commentary only option during match day, on fm 17 and previous versions when I used commentary only it was a plain backround with player stats etc until I decided I wanted to view match goals or highlights.

With this pitch backround it makes inferior laptops work harder during a match due to graphics ect so hopefully I am missing this option but cant see it anywhere???

4 hours ago, PHITSO said:

I would also like to know how to do this or have the option to. I am having graphical problems because of it and also prefer it off and I know other people that feel the same.

Currently there is no way of getting rid of the walkouts, halftime match engine stadium and end of game celebration animations while playing on commentary only.

These are pointless for us who play on commentary only and only serve to use computer resourses that we don't need to use.

They need to get rid of this plus fix the speed on commentary only and add the old blank background split view back to make it good to play again.

I'll say it again, can the stadium background that appears before the team talk at kick off, half time and full time, please have an option to remove. I really miss the blank background.

1. It causes my laptop GPU issues and slows down/crashes.

2. It looks ugly.

This is the one feature I desperately want getting rid of or to at least have the option to turn off in preferences (as there should already be)

1 minute ago, LeeCutty said:

Currently there is no way of getting rid of the walkouts, halftime match engine stadium and end of game celebration animations while playing on commentary only.

These are pointless for us who play on commentary only and only serve to use computer resourses that we don't need to use.

They need to get rid of this plus fix the speed on commentary only and add the old blank background split view back to make it good to play again.

Yep. 100%. I've just made a comment on this thread concerning it. It's stopping me from playing FM18.

2 minutes ago, PHITSO said:

Yep. 100%. I've just made a comment on this thread concerning it. It's stopping me from playing FM18.

Yeah its not great to play on commentary only right now, I really hope they can sort this out for the official release next Friday.

On a secondary note can't seem to find any games but 2 locked and a 3rd that already playing, is only 4 playing and like 10 of us in and out time and time again. 

Tried making a new game thinking I can fish some of those in and out players but after 15 mins not even one user joined so I'd say there's something wrong with that picture. 

Guest El Payaso

I think that something that we see here is all good example about how badly wrong the game still is. He loses and concedes a lot like expected but basically Liverpool aren't hitting them on a break even against that kind of system. Would expect something like 10-0 beating. I think that the first three goals are good and legit but after that for me it's kinda horrendous. Like the things with throw ins (free pick up instead of properly marked), defenders not closing down the strikers and defending generally being all over the place inside the penalty area. And there certainly still are those cases where players ghost through the defenders like we can for example see in that Henderson goal and Mane highlight after that.

I have never seen anything as bad in terms of defending IRL. Not even when teams concede 7-8. The centre backs especially seem completely clueless in every basic way of the defending. Especially if you look at Matip's performance against Dembele. Any player shouldn't destroy a centre back like Dembele does during this game, especially considering the fact that Matip probably is considerably better player than Dembele is. 

12 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

I think that something that we see here is all good example about how badly wrong the game still is. He loses and concedes a lot like expected but basically Liverpool aren't hitting them on a break even against that kind of system. Would expect something like 10-0 beating. I think that the first three goals are good and legit but after that for me it's kinda horrendous. Like the things with throw ins (free pick up instead of properly marked), defenders not closing down the strikers and defending generally being all over the place inside the penalty area. And there certainly still are those cases where players ghost through the defenders like we can for example see in that Henderson goal and Mane highlight after that.

I have never seen anything as bad in terms of defending IRL. Not even when teams concede 7-8. The centre backs especially seem completely clueless in every basic way of the defending. Especially if you look at Matip's performance against Dembele. Any player shouldn't destroy a centre back like Dembele does during this game, especially considering the fact that Matip probably is considerably better player than Dembele is. 

why aren't your players all black like mine?