Sports Interactive Community
Farina

Regarding the out of memory bug/crash

It's not 100% clear to me what is meant with exceptions in Neil Brock's instructions. Real-time scanning or the firewall? Or both? I use McAfee.

Edited by Farina

Got it fixed by reinstalling the game from the DVD instead of Steam. Seems Steam is more of a cause of the issue than anti-virus software.

Edited by Farina

It's pretty certain steam was the issue. Not the least because I also had the issue that every several seconds the game would take up all my CPU capacity for several seconds, even when the game was idle or in the main screen. Every time that happened the CPU-use by a process called steamwebhelper.exe would also spike for the same duration. Steamwebhelper.exe apparently regularly causes problems: https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/5axudt/steamwebhelperexe_doing_very_weird_stuff_and/

Well I was wrong: the problems resurfaced. CPU usage periodically spiked and FM would eventually crash, probably due to taking up more and more memory.  So Steam probably wasn't the cause, but it doesn't seem like the anti-virus has anything to do with either. I had uninstalled both FM and the anti-virus, then reinstalled FM without an anti-virus program on the computer (other than Windows Defender) and the issues persisted. However, I then stumbled on a folder structure associated with FM in C:\users\all users\. I deleted these and reinstalled FM again and the problems were gone. Even after I reinstalled the original anti-virus.

I'm going to see if the problems reappear and deleting that folder structure will supress it again. Some of the files in were text files with the mention of INSIGHT SERVER REQUEST and the url: http://fm2010.sa01.softanchorinsight.com , which has something to do with DRM as far as I could gather...

EDIT: I decided to test thing by restoring the files I had deleted in users/all users from the recycle bin. The problems reappeared. Deleted them again and things once more returned to normal. I don't know what files SI is putting in that directory, but they do seem to be the cause. Not Steam or anti-virus software.

Edited by Farina