Sports Interactive Community

6 hours ago, BluesBot said:

Cant believe I have been playing this game for 20 years(cm2 96/97) in that time I have been married, had 2 kids - one of whom is at University, moved around the country, made friends, lost friends, lost family, changed jobs, changed careers , my whole life has changed but the game is still there, I think I did so many all nighters during CM 01/02 its a wonder my missus didnt kill me, she would be be in almost every hour "hun its 2am are you coming to bed" ditto 3 am, 4 am, 5am etc and I would be just "yeah just after this next match hun"

Then there was FML, really loved that game and the community, I was lucky enough to be a beta tester and then a moderator for the game, was sad it ended.

I was initially gutted when Eidos and Sigames split, I really thought that would be the beguinning of the end for the game but Football Manager rose from the flames, I did give Eidos and Champ' man' a go but didnt rate it at all

Even now I still get excited by the new release every year and I really enjoyed fm17 and although not many for some have gotten through 1048 hours of gameplay which is the most I have played in a long long time, although probably no where near what i did with the earliest incarnations - I loved the early years, Scott Huckerby, Mike Duff, Cherno Samba, kim Kallstrom et el !!

Mate im pretty much in the same boat as you. I have been playing since CM99/00, had a career, got married had 2 brats etc. Still addicted to the game, I play it in every spare time I get both at work and at home. I love FM17, by far the best game. I started a save on the 4th December, Im still playing it. In the 35/36 or something season with Stoke City, Longest save I have EVER had. 

Only thing I never really did was all nighters, I did have a few, but not many.

Same story here. Played my first CM on the Amiga but it was the later CM on the PC's which clocked in playing hours > hundreds.

Bought FM for 2017 like i do every year, but not played the game (still in its plastic) because of hectic real life last year. So my thirst for FM 2018 is huge(!). My weekend is lined up for the beta. Let it roll out!

I’m with you both and originally played on the good old Atari 500 and one more game was my catchphrase and the Mrs still does not understand the fascination and I said to her last night any idea what gets released shortly and she knew straight away and then just said you are addicted.

My 21 year old daughter just laughed at her as she loves the Sims games and got that from me.

i have fallen out of love with the game a bit over the years and even tried FMT but keep coming back and I do like the look of some of this years features.

here is to us sad, old addicted gits!

22 minutes ago, NavyWolf87 said:

I've got the game every year since CM97/98, this issue will be the first I'm not totally convinced I'll buy.  Lost interest in FM17 quite quickly and never got a good save going, think I'm losing interest in the series and don't have time to commit to the game anymore, especially the amount of time you have to dedicate to the game when you initially join a club, setting up tactics, training, choosing the staff to stay or sign etc etc. 

The game is wonderfully in depth now, however I long for a CM97/98 type game where you can just 'jump' in and play. 

Have you tried FM Touch on PC? It's perfect for quick games and is still fairly in depth. I play both touch and normal fm depending on how much time I have. 

Same here, i'm 40 now and this game is an integral part of my life since i was a young teen, I remember when i found a way to edit the players in the saved game, so that if they were in their 30's i changed their age so that they could keep playing, after a lot of trial and error e found a way to edit the club finances, player attributes, positions, yep, i had a lot of free time...LOL 

To me the low point was FM16, i just didn't find a way to play that version, and took some time to get into FM 17, but i am so very eager to play FM18 that every time that Miles tweets something my heart races, eheheheheheh

32 year old dad of 3 here, been playing since CM99/00 and had every one since. Been through the whole all nighter scene, buzzing of Cherno Samba, Freddy Adu, Taribo West (Best defencder CM/FM has ever seen) Kim Kallstrom the lot! Missus doesn't get it, she'll look at the screen an say' those stupid little dots again' and I'm like flower did you not just see that defence splitting pass?!? Women eh!

I'm more about journeyman saves now, I get bored trying to take a team from the lower echelons of football to world dominance now, gimme a team let me win something then move on!

CM Italia was my first and I never missed a game since then.. 

My free time and the way I play the game have changed so much during all that years... Like 20 years ago I played the game with a mate, which was so much fun. 

It's hard to believe I still enjoy the game so much, but I do. 

3 hours ago, NavyWolf87 said:

The game is wonderfully in depth now, however I long for a CM97/98 type game where you can just 'jump' in and play. 

If only SI had thought of this, and introduced a more streamlined version of the game alongside the main game for the last few versions of the series...

Unfortunately I just started to play last year with FM2017 but I loved that much that I want to buy all games at least from the 2005 until the 2016. The problem is that I have read that many of them have problems with windows 10 then I don't know what to do 

Been playing since 1992 (the red box one) and have bought every game since. 

Despite my lack of posting on here - I've been a forum member since January 2000 

I have a vote currently going on twitter for who is your favourite cult CM/FM striker, which might interest some of you.

I’m the same got CM2 in 1997 after hearing a few of my mates at school talk about signing Ronaldo on a free! And had every game since! I’m nearly 32 now 2 kids, married, divorced, still play in my spare time although that is a lot less these days and I don’t really have long saves anymore just 1/2 seasons then start again as nothing has peaked my interest.

Still FM18 is sat in my steam library ready and waiting for Friday 👌🏼

Spoiler

Been there since the very beginning. First saw and played the original CM back in 92 then brought CM2 for the Amiga and have owned and played every version since. Loved the early versions where you could easily edit players/money etc in game, but it was more fun taking a small town club into the big leagues.  One of the best young GK in the game then was Andy Woodman he always developed into a top player and was the England GK for years, another of the hidden gems who never managed to live upto expectation in rl. Still love the game but no longer play the all night sessions.

Edited by Woolly

Been playing it regularly since CM4 iirc. I first experienced it during Xmas day '99 when I saw a cousin playing it on the computer while everyone was upstairs crowded round the PlayStation 1 playing the new FIFA. There was something fascinating about watching a football game through the medium of text. It stuck with me until I bought an old copy of 01/02 when I was 15 to play on my terrible hand me down, fixed up computer consisting of two 128mb ram sticks. 

Then it was CM4 for a couple of years until I finally got my first FM (07). Played every single one since apart from 15 which was when I was properly infatuated with a save I had on 14. 

I loved 17, clocked over 1600 hours on it (tbf I leave the laptop on) even though I didn't do as many saves as usual. Had a great save where I took Cheltenham to be established in the Premier league which took about 3 months before I got too frustrated at never really advancing beyond lower mid table. 

I'm 22 and I started playing cm97/98 when I was around 8, my brother gave me his copy. Remember playing as Rangers with Gascoinge and Laurdrup then signing Denilson oh and Marco Negri scoring 50 goals a season haha.

Next version I played was CM 01/02 and loved it, persuaded my parents to get me a computer In 2004 and since then I've played every FM from 2005 onwards right up to present day, spent thousands of hours on each release. 

Fell a bit out of love with FM17 with issues in long term saves but I'm hoping that's fixed in FM18, I'm really hyped up for it!

Best game series ever in my opinion and I can't see myself ever stopping playing! 

pretty much the same as all above. been playing since CM2 96/97 so 20 years.

one of my fondest earliest memories was when we was 13, 2 of my mates stayed round. we all started as a prem team each (Utd/Arsenal/Liverpool) but took ages with each player doing their teams, tactics etc, so after around 10 games we decided to all resign and take over whichever team was rock bottom of Division 3 (Now league 2). it happened to be Rochdale. they were awful but it was so fun wtih 3 of us all working together. i will actually never forget we had a striker called Andy Gouk (with finishing of 1!!!) we played him every game and went mental when he scored. not even sure how that season finished but im sure we escaped relegation.

anyway now days im still on a 30+ season save on FM13. a truly epic journeyman save. some weeks i dont play at all. some weeks maybe an hour or two. thats literally all i have these days. sad times.

Had them all since the red boxed first edition of Champ Man. It's just become a yearly ritual purchasing the game now. My favourite editions have been Champ Man 01/02 and FM15. The only one I've really struggled to get into was Champ Man 4 because of all the issues the game had on launch. Since the move to FM, I think FM11 or 12 is the one I've put the least amount of hours into. Been well over 1500 hours in every version since 13. 

Aye, wives have come, wives have gone - finally stuck with one who supports my addiction. Jobs have come, jobs have gone. Even moved continents and seven times zones, yet the one constant in the last 18+ years has been this daft ol' game here.

Ibrahima Bakayoko favourite all time player and a god on the game.

I still have all the games dating back to the very first one on the Atari and then Amiga and then PC, all in my loft, might be worth a few quid and I am so tempted to get the Amiga out and see if it still works.

22 minutes ago, NavyWolf87 said:

FMT just doesn't do it for me...sorry sarcy bollox

And yet, it does exactly what you're looking for judging by your earlier post. Weird. 

Learned English at a very young age because of the old CM games. I have been playing since 95 :)

I also learned how to code and chose my profession heavily influenced by the game.

I remember watching SI Towers' cam while idling on #champman on EFNet.

Met a few people about 20 years ago, and @Mario is a close friend.

Thanks SI.

Been playing since CM1 in 92. I'm fairly sure I bought it through mail order after seeing an advert on the back of a football magazine.

My favourite CM/FM player is still a randomly generated 32 year old striker named Cyrille Eustace who I signed for about 5k on CM1. He scored 24 goals for me in his first season and then retired. Legend!

I'm approaching 40 now and still playing, though due to lack of time I'm an FM Touch only man these days. Glad to see a few others like me still going strong after all these years!

Edited by Spikey

7 hours ago, That There Phil said:

CM 93 was my first, so FM18 is 25 years for me.

God I feel old!

Same as me! 25 years and still going strong, keep it going SI!

I actually started on Premier Manager 2 in 1993 on the Amiga :D

My first real love was CM97/98 though which basically absorbed my college years. Still remember my first ever regen, Elliot Laight, signed him from Coventry City for Manchester United and he was a goalscoring machine :D

It's got to be said that this remains one of the few games I can idle through whilst doing other things ever since 93/94. Perhaps the reason it regularly managed 1000hrs+ plus a year.

I started playing in 1983 on Football Manager by Kevin toms. Then moved onto Champions on the Dragon. These 2 games started it all for me. Never looked back.

Well yeah, if we're going down the road of first management games, it was also Football Manager on the Spectrum I started on in the early 80s. I remember there being a slew of mail order management games at the time, Football Director 2 being a particular favourite (which was actually a normal management game, and nowt to do with being a 'director'). 

Played a ton of management games on the Amiga as well,  The Premier Manager and Tactical Manager games being the ones I enjoyed the most. 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Well yeah, if we're going down the road of first management games, it was also Football Manager on the Spectrum I started on in the early 80s. I remember there being a slew of mail order management games at the time, Football Director 2 being a particular favourite (which was actually a normal management game, and nowt to do with being a 'director'). 

Played a ton of management games on the Amiga as well,  The Premier Manager and Tactical Manager games being the ones I enjoyed the most. 

Spent a lot of time playing Football Director on the Spectrum. That stopped when I discovered The Double and then Tracksuit Manager. They were the first two I can remember that had individual squads for all teams and not just the one you were managing.

21 minutes ago, Dalglish said:

Spent a lot of time playing Football Director on the Spectrum. That stopped when I discovered The Double and then Tracksuit Manager. They were the first two I can remember that had individual squads for all teams and not just the one you were managing.

Loved both of those too. Tracksuit Manager was the first game I played with proper match commentary (for the time). I always wanted them to release a club version of that game, would have been epic. 

Cm97/98 was my first game. Was in year 8 at that time. Used to come home during lunch breaks and skip lessons and even pretend to be ill in order to play the game. That was probably the game in which I played the most. Bakayoko, Svindal Larsen, neset, denilson. Some great and cheap players. 

bought every game since. Recently downloaded dosbox so I can play it again and also went back to play cm96/97.

01/02 was another one I spent a lot of time on. 

Can any of you elder folk remember which version it was that had the feature that some of your players would move abroad at the end of their contracts? Note I'm also an elder folk hence I can't remember which version that was - I do remember making Blackpool into a domestic powerhouse in that one. 

I also remember having to buy a pc that supported a mouse to play one of the earlier versions. 

The end of season update on the Domark? version took so long you could go and cook dinner while it updated.

47 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Can any of you elder folk remember which version it was that had the feature that some of your players would move abroad at the end of their contracts?

can't remember the number, but that was the first I played. Domark was the publisher and Jason Pollock was so underrated :D had to be the one that was released before Italia.

All the Amiga versions had the end of season part where yiur players would move abroad. Im talking CM1 btw.

Iirc correct, during the season on their profile page a little red arrow and message woukd indicate their preference to move abroad thar season.

5 hours ago, bestbrother said:

All the Amiga versions had the end of season part where yiur players would move abroad. Im talking CM1 btw.

Iirc correct, during the season on their profile page a little red arrow and message woukd indicate their preference to move abroad thar season.

Heartbreaking when you’d lose your star player for a fee lower than his value. 

After one successful season on CM93 (Amiga), I remember three first teamers moving abroad: Nigel Clough, Don Hutchinson and Paul Warhurst. Ripped the spine right out of my team it did.

I only cheated CM/FM with Football Ltd :

Football%20Limited_1.png

That was such a cool game.

On 24/10/2017 at 13:09, Dalglish said:

Been playing since 1992 (the red box one) and have bought every game since. 

Yup, same for me. It's been a long relationship!

I first started playing properly on fm 08 I had it on Xbox 360:lol:

Was decent up until now about FM 11 or 12 then lost my touch completely

Never stopped my wasting hours of my life on it though

Really looking forward to the beta hope it's out today!

The Double on the Commodore 64 was my first ever foray into a football management sim, however the game had a bug, after all the results came through (like on the old granstand vidiprinter) which took about 10 minutes Zzzzz it would then do the same with the attendances (grrrrrrrrr) well it didnt stop me and my mate during the summer of 86 playing it for a whole month non stop, we even took turns during the night to keep playing while the other grabbed a few hours lol. Sadly I dont think we actually won the double, won the league and won the cup loads but never the same season.

Just downloaded an old copy of CM01/02 for old times sake

Started with 01/02, properly stuck in with CM4, though.  As I'm in the states, it was quite the odyssey to get the games, up until the Steam era I would pay outrageous shipping to get them mailed to me from semi-dodgy online retailers.  I bought WWSM the first year it was available but it just didn't feel right and I got the regular FM in the post again.  Haven't missed a title for 15 years now, can't imagine I ever will.  Some years I get more bang for my buck than others but its always my most reliable fallback.  I think the biggest change for me over the years was in the early days, I most enjoyed raiding Wimbledon for Serge Makofo or finding the likes of Orri Freyr Óskarsson and Anatoli Todorov and watching them become club legends.  Somewhere around 08 or so I stopped caring much about the budding real life wonderkids and the like and became obsessed with finding the best newgens, so much so that I don't even really get into a save until the 3rd or 4th season. 

20 years? Man, it just made me realise I'm coming up to that. I think I'm on 18 now. More than half my life has been playing this game. Hell I've been on the SI games forum for 15 years now. Or at least according to my join date anyway. Mental.

Favourite save I had though was taking Forest back to CL glory, I must have been there for 20 years trying to get them to win the CL again and eventually beat Real Madrid on the number of times won. I failed, I think we overtook Liverpool as the most successful English club, but that's about it. Real Madrid kept winning it just as much as we did, so could never make up the difference. 

Walter Birsa took me up from league 1 through the championship and eventually ended up scoring ridiculous amounts in the PL to consolidate us. Then I signed some Brazilian wonderkid and some guy from my youth team came through. They scored for fun. 40 each through a season where we finally won the PL. After that the next crop had a crazy midfielder who  was to be the future captain. 

Never been so lucky with regens since. I must have put a couple thousand hours into that one. Can't remember exactly which version it was, I wanna say 05. I know in my third season Desailly left Chelsea on a bosman so I signed him in the championship. He played for 2 years before retiring and then became my assistant. 

Didn't play much in 17, newly married, new career, busy. Oh and looking at Anfield being rendered as if it was just a massive league 1 ground annoyed me. 

my playing goes back some 28 years to when i was 16 and the very first one came out on the amiga or 27 yrs cant quite remember. it was named on my first divorce as i played it 24 7. i have taken a week off work every year when the new one has been released and have owned every copy since the veryt first one. now i own my own coffee shop so i can pretty much play it all day every day. sheer bliss :)

On 24/10/2017 at 22:55, Dagenham_Dave said:

Loved both of those too. Tracksuit Manager was the first game I played with proper match commentary (for the time). I always wanted them to release a club version of that game, would have been epic. 

ha ha i had those games so much fun. but my fav was on the bench for the speccy. just for the end of season stats there was no equal :)

Oh aye tracksuit manager was epic. I played that alongside advanced soccer simulator, used to play that as 8 teams and tried to get them all to division 1

20 years ago it also started for me with cm 97/98 and i have had every version since then including the pre order voor fm 18

i even bought the earlier versions of the game so i could play them to.

now  i have less time to play the game then i used to but  according to my steam page but every year still around 400 hours are going in it

its the only game i continuously play every year and every version has its ups and downs. but my favourites are cm3,cm01/02 ,fm08 and fm 12 

i am curieus about fm 18 i hope it going to be a good year for fm and if it isnt there is always next year:)