Juventus 4-4-2 Tactic (Confused Returning Player Tactic 2)

Hi everyone

Thanks for the feedback given regarding the first tactic id like to implement at Juventus for FM2018, the diamond midfield 4-4-2.

I also think with the addition of Douglas Costa to the Juve squad, a 4-4-2 two lines of 4 set up is the alternative set up that would fit the players.

But i know that the idea i have in my head, in reality is probably rubbish.

Id considered the following roles:

---------------------------------     -Dybala (DLF/S)------------------Mandzukic (TM/A)

Douglas Costa (IW/S)-----------Khedira (CM/D)------------Pjanic (CM/S)------------------Cuadrado (W/A)

Alex Sandro (WB/A)------------Chielini (CB/C)--------------- Rugani (CB/D)------------  -Lichtsteiner (FB/S)

-----------------------------------------------------------Buffon (GK/D)

What i want to create is quick, incisive and direct passing. Getting the ball out wide and getting the ball into the box. Fast tempo all action.

I had chosen Douglas Costa as an inverted winger to come inside with the ball, and then create 2v1s with Alex Sandro down the left hand side. Also, my thinking is in transition, then having Douglas Costa doing this will make us tougher to break down. But i could also use Pjanic as a wide playmaker possibly to come inside and sit in the number 10 position, freeing up Alex Sandro down the left, and then use Matuidi as a Central Midfielder on support.

In defence, im looking for a 2 banks of 4, hard to break down block, where the team will retain its shape and leave no room to be passed through.

So in terms of the team mentality, i was thinking standard, with a mentality of structured.

As team instructions, i was going to keep the defensive line normal, and not change the closing down intensity, so no to preventing the short GK distribution etc, but using the "stay on feet" option when closing down.

I was going to keep the width balanced, but change the tempo to higher, and then the passing from mixed to direct.

I dont want them to work the ball into the box and overplay the ball, so im not using the retain possession, be more expressive, or work ball into box options.

Crossing, i was thinking setting to whipped, or leaving as mixed.

Do you think this strategy is one that could successfully work as an attacking and defensive force? and do you think the roles i have in mind would compliment each other as a unit?

Thankyou in advance

I think this is pretty sound.  The TM being on the other side might take advantage of the in cut of the IW though... only a thought.  

Perhaps try Defensive as a mentality, to try and reduce crazy passes to the TM - make them a bit more selectively cautious.

Other wise this is largely how i'd set up a 4-4-2.

You can get a 4-4-2  to attack like a 4-3-3- like Valverde's Barcelona if you wanted...

Archived