How many of you still use 2D Classic?

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, kuraeero said:

With every new version, I always try out the 3d engine and promise myself that this time I will stick with it, yet after a while I always find myself switching back to 2d. I just wish that the current 2d engine still looked as good as it did back in FM2017.

On 18/11/2019 at 15:15, kuraeero said:

With every new version, I always try out the 3d engine and promise myself that this time I will stick with it, yet after a while I always find myself switching back to 2d. I just wish that the current 2d engine still looked as good as it did back in FM2017.

How is the 2D match engine in fm2020?? Any differences?

On 20/11/2019 at 16:52, kuraeero said:

Haven't played fm20 yet, but judging by the screenshots, it's pretty much the same that it was in fm18 and 19. Shame really.

the 2d in fm 20 is just wonderfull for me.. i am a die hard 2d fan nowadays despite the fact that when 3d comes out i was more than just excited.since fm15 i i only play on 2d mode in any case the 2d in fm20 is great.. and in general to my mind the match engine is a little bit better than in previous fms

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 08:27, papadakis said:

the 2d in fm 20 is just wonderfull for me.. i am a die hard 2d fan nowadays despite the fact that when 3d comes out i was more than just excited.since fm15 i i only play on 2d mode in any case the 2d in fm20 is great.. and in general to my mind the match engine is a little bit better than in previous fms

How is it now with the updated patch.

• 5 months later...
On 25/11/2019 at 09:27, papadakis said:

So how is that different from FM18 and 19 may I ask?

I recently downloaded FM 20 Demo and I tested the 2D, and it’s exactly the same as it was on 18 and 19.

8 hours ago, hdsnviefbvs said:

So how is that different from FM18 and 19 may I ask?

I recently downloaded FM 20 Demo and I tested the 2D, and it’s exactly the same as it was on 18 and 19.

It's not, FM20 has 2D classic, IIRC 18&19 have 2D and there's a stadium, some fans, I may be wrong.

But I always use 2D, don't know why, I just like it more.

I do. 

Wish SI would bring new graphics such as stadiums and more animations to 2D also. 

At some point there was a modern version of 2D available and I really enjoyed it but I guess it wasn't that popular in general as it was removed after few years. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still play FM17 as that was the last year of proper 2D,I remember buying 18 and was like 'WTF is this?' completely detroyed the most crucial part of the game, match days.

My brother recently bought 20 he never really played a lot and the first thing he said was what is going on with the graphics? they are so lame. and within a week he is threatening to bin the game because he say's what is the point in spending hours looking for staff, setting scouting assignments looking for and training players ect when after all of that you have to endure the crappy matchday graphics? seriously it's an embarrassment. 

I get the demo every year to see if they have admitted defeat and reverted back and am gutted but i think they are trying to cater for a wider audience and simplifying the game. 

I noticed the plug'n play option they brought in last year or whenever it was where you can pick Tiki Taka ect and i just thought wow now i see what you are doing. The tatics are by far the hardest part of the game and it took me years of tweaking to get it right even now i don't have it down 100 percent but that is where the real skill of the game is, that is how you take a league 2 club to the Prem in 3 years with zero money

And i think if you did a poll what you may call the more 'serious' players will undoubtedly pick 2D because as has been said you get a perfect view of your tactical shape so can make adjustments

But now it has been reduced to having the game do your tactics for you so you can play like Guardiola without working out anything for yourself and then watching it play out on graphic worse that LMA 2000

FM17 was the Peak

Edited by Bilbaoboy

38 minutes ago, Bilbaoboy said:

But now it has been reduced to having the game do your tactics for you so you can play like Guardiola without working out anything for yourself and then watching it play out on graphic worse that LMA 2000

Those templates are far from ideal, they give you general idea but you will not suddenly win matches just because you picked one. You still need to make your players fit within the system and be able to pull off what you ask of them.

I keep trying to give 3D a chance but can't quite seem to find a viewpoint I like. I even have a gaming laptop now in case I was able to stick to that viewpoint, but I find the 2D version so much better in terms of how I want to view the game (I.e. looking for patterns/gaps/etc). 

I watch the goals on Director View though, particularly my own...

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2020 at 23:07, Bilbaoboy said:

I still play FM17 as that was the last year of proper 2D,I remember buying 18 and was like 'WTF is this?' completely detroyed the most crucial part of the game, match days.

My brother recently bought 20 he never really played a lot and the first thing he said was what is going on with the graphics? they are so lame. and within a week he is threatening to bin the game because he say's what is the point in spending hours looking for staff, setting scouting assignments looking for and training players ect when after all of that you have to endure the crappy matchday graphics? seriously it's an embarrassment. 

I get the demo every year to see if they have admitted defeat and reverted back and am gutted but i think they are trying to cater for a wider audience and simplifying the game. 

I noticed the plug'n play option they brought in last year or whenever it was where you can pick Tiki Taka ect and i just thought wow now i see what you are doing. The tatics are by far the hardest part of the game and it took me years of tweaking to get it right even now i don't have it down 100 percent but that is where the real skill of the game is, that is how you take a league 2 club to the Prem in 3 years with zero money

And i think if you did a poll what you may call the more 'serious' players will undoubtedly pick 2D because as has been said you get a perfect view of your tactical shape so can make adjustments

FM17 was the Peak

The 2D Classic is horrific in recent versions. I'm stuck with FM15 until it improves or, somehow (I know it's not happening), the software option for graphics returns.

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, amer said:

How is it on FM21 anyone??

I'd say it's the best it's been since 17, maybe even better than that.  Not sure why, it looks very similar to last year, but there's something more satisfying about it.  Having the video adboards back is a massive plus.

11 minutes ago, priority76 said:

I'd say it's the best it's been since 17, maybe even better than that.  Not sure why, it looks very similar to last year, but there's something more satisfying about it.  Having the video adboards back is a massive plus.

Thats good to know thanks

On 09/06/2020 at 21:58, Broken_Record said:

At some point there was a modern version of 2D available and I really enjoyed it but I guess it wasn't that popular in general as it was removed after few years. 

Technically is wasn't, that's what we're still using now, they've just cut back on the graphics of the stadium etc and rebranded it 2D classic. It's the original 2D classic that was removed from the game after FM17 as it was using a different graphics engine to the 3D/Modern 2D version and wasn't being cost effective anymore. 

I can see how that confuses people, however. 

Yep always 2D for me. One because it feel easier to see my team’s shape and two because 3D makes my MacBook’s fans go mental even on low graphics. 

I watch the goal replays in 3D though so still see some of the good new things they’ve put into the match engine. 

Been using 2D forever, 3D looks so far away from real football that it's just distract. Players floating backwards while shooting, falling over randomly in what I guess is supposed to be a slide tackle animation. Just looks goofy as hell. Every time I try to switch to 3D I last about two matches then go back.

This year the 2D interface is so bad that my only option is to just not buy the game, as 3D simply isn't enjoyable.

1 hour ago, RocheBag said:

Horrible. Giant empty grey space that you can't even fill up with stats anymore since they got rid of widgets. If you play 2D in FM21 you're playing using half your screen.

You can zoom it in so it covers most of the screen. 

Here...

image.thumb.png.cbf13668658f096efa0fe114c8ce0f4a.png

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

To be honest I never used the 2D mode much since the 3D mode is available, only when I would be angry on the match engine or getting bored of the 3D camera, but this year I felt like I wanna change something to my personal match experience, so as I was testing the other cameras I realised that the Sideline view gives you a very nice perspective of the game, as you can change the height/zoom as well, so people who are not really satisfied with the 2D this year could give the Sideline view a try.

29 minutes ago, Drunkerone said:

To be honest I never used the 2D mode much since the 3D mode is available, only when I would be angry on the match engine or getting bored of the 3D camera, but this year I felt like I wanna change something to my personal match experience, so as I was testing the other cameras I realised that the Sideline view gives you a very nice perspective of the game, as you can change the height/zoom as well, so people who are not really satisfied with the 2D this year could give the Sideline view a try.

You've been able to change the height/zoom for the last three editions at least. 

3 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You can hide that at any point during a match

So in order to zoom the pitch in to a usable level you need to hide important information from the screen while simultaneously having loads of empty space somewhere else on the screen.

That sounds like a huge problem to me.

4 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You've been able to change the height/zoom for the last three editions at least. 

I never said it is a new feature, I just mentioned it for the people who've been only playing 2D until this year.

Edited by Drunkerone

13 minutes ago, upthetoon said:

i only use 2D. very neglected area of the game from SI. i just can't understand it.

2D is getting worse year after year.

I really is not that surprising, since 3D is their new baby and where the majority of people use. 2D unfortunately has been relegated to a lower league division.

22 hours ago, RocheBag said:

So in order to zoom the pitch in to a usable level you need to hide important information from the screen while simultaneously having loads of empty space somewhere else on the screen.

That sounds like a huge problem to me.

No, because you can also zoom it with the info at the bottom, obviously won't take up as much screen, but it's perfectly watchable. Absolutely not a 'huge problem' unless you let it be. 

2 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No, because you can also zoom it with the info at the bottom, obviously won't take up as much screen, but it's perfectly watchable. Absolutely not a 'huge problem' unless you let it be. 

Its objectively worse than last year where I could zoom it in where 90% of the screen was the pitch and the other 10% was relevant information. 

Now I need to either play with giant empty space on the sides and a zoomed out pitch, or zoom in the pitch but lose critical information such as player condition. Or zoom in the pitch, leave the information there but have it block the action.

Yes its a huge problem to only be able to use a fraction of the screen.

14 hours ago, upthetoon said:

i only use 2D. very neglected area of the game from SI. i just can't understand it.

2D is getting worse year after year.

Agree I wish they would improve it. At least add the stands. 

I start every new edition on 3d before reverting to 2d in about a week. This year no different.