Good back up goalkeepers ??

Sussex Hammer

As the title suggests, I am six seasons in to a save and Adrian is retiring at the end of the season.  I have Rajkovic as my Number 1 so I am purely looking for a back up goalkeeper or at the very least rotation.  Problem is I can't seem to find any.  Any half decent keeper is insisting on being first team and any hotly tipped youngster is being valued out of the equation as I don't want to spend 20-25 million on a back up.  FM17 seems to have this with youngsters where they really are valued extremely high price wise before they have shown much bar a scouts potential rating. 

Harry Reid at Leeds for instance plays in the Championship.  His release fee is 6.5 m which is fine but he is insisting on being first team as are other "affordable" keepers whose stats don't suggest being a permanent number one so was hoping for a few names which others have gone for who accept a back up status and are good enough to cover.

19 hours ago, Sussex Hammer said:

As the title suggests, I am six seasons in to a save and Adrian is retiring at the end of the season.  I have Rajkovic as my Number 1 so I am purely looking for a back up goalkeeper or at the very least rotation.  Problem is I can't seem to find any.  Any half decent keeper is insisting on being first team and any hotly tipped youngster is being valued out of the equation as I don't want to spend 20-25 million on a back up.  FM17 seems to have this with youngsters where they really are valued extremely high price wise before they have shown much bar a scouts potential rating. 

Harry Reid at Leeds for instance plays in the Championship.  His release fee is 6.5 m which is fine but he is insisting on being first team as are other "affordable" keepers whose stats don't suggest being a permanent number one so was hoping for a few names which others have gone for who accept a back up status and are good enough to cover.

nobody can say what players that are interested in signing for you as back up 6 years into the game

and it depends what you demand from a back up keeper

if you want him to be at the same lvl as your nr 1 keeper, you just give him a first team status and play him as you like, when he becomes unhappy you try and deal with it or transferlist him and take what ever hit you get on the transfer front

if you can accept that he doesn't have to be as good as your nr 1 keeper, then go through the free transfers and offer one of them a one year deal, if he becomes unhappy then you say that you will let him go at the end of the season

or you could go youth and bring in a young keeper before he becomes really expensive, and groom him to first be backup for Rajkovic and then perhaps replaces him in the future 

Throwing out some names that appeared 4 seasons into my game in case they become available on free transfers...

Ben Garratt - Crewe

Guido Guerrieri - Lazio (left due to wanting first team football, so may not be ideal)

Thomas Kraft (fairly experienced keeper)

Andreas Raahauge (FC Midtjylland)

Ted Smith - Southend

Will Mannion - Hull

Archived