[FM18] E22 - England to Level 22

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jwchriste said:

I had a similar situation in FM17.  Just wondering if any of the lower league managers using Dan's database ever had a successful tycoon takeover, while still in the very low levels.  I'm only L14 at the moment.

has the takeover gone through yet?

2 hours ago, lionel messi said:

has the takeover gone through yet?

Not yet.  I kept getting the same two messages - interest cools, takeover on track - every couple days.  Couldn't stay awake long enough for the takeover to reach its conclusion.  Awake now, wife and kids away, nothing stopping me from making some real progress for the next couple days.

4 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

Not yet.  I kept getting the same two messages - interest cools, takeover on track - every couple days.  Couldn't stay awake long enough for the takeover to reach its conclusion.  Awake now, wife and kids away, nothing stopping me from making some real progress for the next couple days.

*cough*worldcup*cough*

6 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

*cough*worldcup*cough*

Oh right. Isn't that the international beer pong championship?

JK. I'm setting my work laptop next to me to stream the games today.  And beer.  I have beer with no responsibilities.  These posts may get a bit rambling later on.:idiot:

image.thumb.png.f9c37644757f1e804f21da883790a0e8.png

Cha ching!

image.thumb.png.e9dafd0bdb99e652f9ead4f80f5f0c94.png

Uh oh.  I've never really played a fully professional club.  First world problems now.

I had a peek in the IGE - I now have an underwriter sugar daddy. Hopefully, I can improve my facilities considerably now.

L14 dusted and done:

image.thumb.png.c277ae4ea3432a71596cf082b639233d.png

The big event was a tycoon takeover and £1.5M investment in the club. The club immediately turned professional and I was able to request upgraded training facilities.

I've only signed 4 players to professional contracts so far and will only do it when in danger of losing someone important or if a viable upgrade is available. I have a £12k/wk budget and my highest paid player gets £375/wk so far.  The board won't improve my youth facilities.  I guess they want me to improve the club through the transfer market. I don't really need better players yet, so I'm going to keep requesting facilities upgrades as often as I can.

L13 completed:

image.thumb.png.349be2dc86f48729a72a7688392e3c43.png

I'm starting to find a club here and there in the cup competitions that are my equals or better.  Angmering is one.  They thrashed me in the MS Senior Cup Semi Final 4-1.  I managed to beat them in the Sussex Intermediate Cup Finals 3-2, but it was a close, come-from-behind win.

Still have £1M but we're bleeding about £40k/mo now.  Plus, we're due to spend £750k on our second training facilities upgrade and I don't remember how much on our first youth facilities upgrade.

It seems to me the AI likes to throw up a random rival whoever you are. I got so frustrated when one club had poached 8 of my first-choice players in 18 months that I used the iGE to make them rivals that don't sign my players. The game promptly threw up another rival to nick my players even more intensely. I'm coming to the tail end of my season and needless to say, both rivals await me in cup finals. I could be facing anything up to 15 of my ex-players, one who are far better than what I've managed to replace them with!

Rothesay_Bay_L19_2021.jpg

Another clean sweep – the league was a stroll but a lot of cup ties went to extra time, three of them after I’d equalised in second-half stoppage time. Got a bit lucky there – the Belgium of the muddy cowfield, that’s what we are. Satisfying to see of my two bitter rivals in the last two ties though, facing up against no less than thirteen former players. Remarkably, the day before the last cup final my goalkeeper buggered off on holiday! Where did that come from?? I was left with my useless and untried 15 year old academy kid to deputise. We protected him well and still won though, so my current record is 83 games undefeated – not too shabby.

I can accept important first teamers leaving me for league teams or high-ranking non-league sides, and they go with my blessings; however, in February after I’d secured another championship, 5 first-choice players including the vice-captain, who’s been with me four years left for a team a level below us. Why?

Since I’ll never generate enough money to improve training facilities despite having decent coaches, the annual churn of good players moving on means that I’ll never improve the overall quality of my squad, at least until we go part-time and I can tie players down to contracts. I get the impression without being able to test it that my squad as it is might be about comparable with the bottom end of part-time football, so I don’t think I’m stuck under a glass ceiling.

Anyway, by the start of next season I should have a brand spanking new stadium to boast. I get the feeling that over my sell-out of 50 spectators each home tie, there were as many again wanting to get in, so I’m anticipating an average crowd of about 100 or a bit more. That’ll never pay for the stadium – sorry council tax payers.

image.thumb.png.dbe2e12606b19221a61ea29cebc5cd4e.png

L12  done and finally leaving the MSFL behind.  

Lost about £250k this season, but I'm well within the generous budgets provided by my chairman so I expect they'll deposit enough funds to clear the debt and provide a cushion for next season.  Being an underwriter sugar daddy, he has not let me spend any more on facilities, junior coaching, youth recruitment, etc., he just keeps me from going bankrupt.  Can't complain about that - I have no problems signing a full squad with backups and youth players while keeping under budget.  I'm being given £10k for player wages with £814k transfer budget. I'm currently spending £6.5k/wk for player wages and I haven't even needed the transfer budget.  I haven't signed any staff to pro contracts yet either, so saving a bunch of money there.  I'll start offering them contracts when they start leaving, but so far, I've only lost my scout which I wasn't really using anyway.

My average attendance improved by +50/match over last season which is a dramatic single season increase for me.  I averaged 220 this season which is helping to offset some of the player wages, but still need quite a few more fans to balance those books.

I did have to drop the three-striker formation.  We were still scoring a lot, but were starting to surrender more and more.  Moved back to my 433 wide because one of my best youngsters was an AML and I needed to play him.  It paid off - I scored less (a little less), but the goals-against dropped dramatically.

My updates will be slowing down and may even stop, I'm afraid. I accidentally got myself a bit of a job, plus as soon as the World Cup is over I'm taking my Cambodian wife to see my fictitious team in Rothesay, not having seen the old place myself in over 30 years. Damn real life; normal service will be resumed at some indefinite point in the future.

:Bowen:

42 minutes ago, Howie8217 said:

Hey guys. In the past the previous fm files (level 22) have worked with the newest fms, would you think this file (not the save I’m currently playing) would work with FM19? 

With the leagues being different? 

We won't know until FM19 is out. 

Potentially there could be changes to the data that could disrupt the files. 

6 hours ago, Howie8217 said:

Is dan taking a break from doing the file this year?  Just asking so I know weather to get FM19 or not 

I think Dan said he was doing research for potential FM19 version of this file, a few weeks ago.

I'm running a test on my current laptop to see the geographical make up of the leagues ten seasons into the game before I get my new laptop soon and start a proper save.

I'm still going, but I have noticed that even though I have only loaded the top eight tiers (down to the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Premier regional first divisions) a lot of the minor cups below these tiers are active in the game. Is there any way to get rid of these?

11 minutes ago, Nobby_McDonald said:

I'm running a test on my current laptop to see the geographical make up of the leagues ten seasons into the game before I get my new laptop soon and start a proper save.

I'm still going, but I have noticed that even though I have only loaded the top eight tiers (down to the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Premier regional first divisions) a lot of the minor cups below these tiers are active in the game. Is there any way to get rid of these?

You can set what level needs to be active to make individual competitions active in the editor.

On 13/06/2018 at 07:43, phnompenhandy said:

Seems kinda right for level 22

Untitled.jpgimage host

I think I've also inadvertently stumbled onto the perfect tactic for this level. Previously I had a lone striker; now I've got 3. So the simple tactic is to have the other 7 players welly the ball up the park at every opportunity for 3 speedy guys to run onto. The defence don't know who to mark and they get overwhelmed. At some point someone will work out they need to sit deep, but for now it's fish in a barrel.

I just started from level 22, yet somehow I have a stadium with all the  benches etc. How come?

29 minutes ago, Crplz said:

You can set what level needs to be active to make individual competitions active in the editor.

So am I right with the following?

There is a list of the English competitions, and there is a column saying "if selected division is at least". I then type in there the level I want.

So for example, if I only want the Sterry Cup to feature at Level 11 or below, I type Level 11 into that box. Is that correct? So if I only select the top 8 levels for example, it won't be loaded.

3 hours ago, Mortheus said:

I just started from level 22, yet somehow I have a stadium with all the  benches etc. How come?

I think most of the teams have a default stadium capacity of 1000, which shows up as a rather advanced stadium graphically.  @phnompenhandy set his stadium capacity to 50 which is why his stadium isn't showing any terraces/seating.

3 hours ago, jwchriste said:

I think most of the teams have a default stadium capacity of 1000, which shows up as a rather advanced stadium graphically.  @phnompenhandy set his stadium capacity to 50 which is why his stadium isn't showing any terraces/seating.

nowhere near even filling the 1000 stadium yet, I did get just over 900 in a FA cup tie though lol.

Hey going off track. Last year fm I managed to find all Man Utd players in fm (former included). But now I can’t remember how I did can someone help me find a way please thanks.

I’m in too minds to start agen!!!! 

Wana add a Man Utd reserve like Plymouth argyle have a reserve team. So I can put my prospects in there 

On 09/07/2018 at 23:15, Nobby_McDonald said:

There is a list of the English competitions, and there is a column saying "if selected division is at least". I then type in there the level I want.

So for example, if I only want the Sterry Cup to feature at Level 11 or below, I type Level 11 into that box. Is that correct? So if I only select the top 8 levels for example, it won't be loaded.

Am I right with this?

On 09/07/2018 at 23:15, Nobby_McDonald said:

Am I right with this?

L11 finished:

image.thumb.png.68510d04d5a58a1e6feb6fcc4ac655bc.png

Very successful.  No real challenge this season.  Outscored the opposition 105-13 in league play using an asymmetrical 433 (2 ST, AML).  Previous investment in youth coaching/recruitment is starting to pay off.  Some of those youngsters are ascending to the first team now - 1 DC, 1 MC, 1 AML, 1 ST.  The striker is wonderful, but he won't sign a new contract because our club's stature doesn't meet his ambition.

Hopefully we start getting some FA Cup/Vase action next season to help with the finances.  My board keeps injecting cash, but just enough to cover our expenses.  They won't let me spend on any new improvements.  All my staff are still on amateur contracts.  I tried to sign some of them, but they all want more than my board will allow in salary.  I need to start making a profit before my staff start leaving.  I've been lucky so far - since my team became professional, only my scout left and I wasn't really using him so I haven't tried to replace him.

Oh, and my U18s made it to the 5th round of the FA Youth Cup.  Got knocked out by the Chelsea U18s.  Not bad.

3 hours ago, jwchriste said:

L11 finished:

image.thumb.png.68510d04d5a58a1e6feb6fcc4ac655bc.png

Very successful.  No real challenge this season.  Outscored the opposition 105-13 in league play using an asymmetrical 433 (2 ST, AML).  Previous investment in youth coaching/recruitment is starting to pay off.  Some of those youngsters are ascending to the first team now - 1 DC, 1 MC, 1 AML, 1 ST.  The striker is wonderful, but he won't sign a new contract because our club's stature doesn't meet his ambition.

Hopefully we start getting some FA Cup/Vase action next season to help with the finances.  My board keeps injecting cash, but just enough to cover our expenses.  They won't let me spend on any new improvements.  All my staff are still on amateur contracts.  I tried to sign some of them, but they all want more than my board will allow in salary.  I need to start making a profit before my staff start leaving.  I've been lucky so far - since my team became professional, only my scout left and I wasn't really using him so I haven't tried to replace him.

Oh, and my U18s made it to the 5th round of the FA Youth Cup.  Got knocked out by the Chelsea U18s.  Not bad.

you should be in the FA Vase at level 10

Archived