[FM18] E22 - England to Level 22

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

^ Nice. I'll really need a bunch of kids like that come through in 3 months - already I'm sensing a deterioration of performances on the pitch. I've always cycled my squad, immediately dropping poorly-performing players, but now I have to keep playing them whatever their form. Challenging times ....

I got a few decent ones coming through, I keep trying to get the board to increase junior & youth coaching budget.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, lionel messi said:

I got a few decent ones coming through, I keep trying to get the board to increase junior & youth coaching budget.

I tried before going professional and board were too stingy. We're well in the red now, but it will be my priority as and when.

Results are taking a dip as I radically restructure due to the financial crisis. Nevertheless, I'm confident I'll bag promotion, if not necessarily as champions.

My assman has got himself a managerial post and I've released my salaried staff, leaving my backroom looking more realistic. I've lost a few training ground stars; however, I reckon a small squad all on full-time training should progress substantially more than when they were on amateur schedules. The unknown factor is whether those players will stick around next year so that I get the benefits.

My first year's youth intake was supposedly a "golden generation." It worked out pretty well for me - an AMR became an immediate starter and three others are currently in my 5 subs with one of them getting quite a bit of starts due to injuries.  I don't think any looked quite as good as @lionel messi's player, but they are close to that level now after a year's experience.

I'm not intentionally playing a youth challenge.  I'm not actively scouting either, so these youths are just as good or better than the players who offer themselves to me.

My second intake was complete rubbish though.

I also survived a board takeover in my first season and the new chairman injected a whopping £2k into the club!

3 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

My first year's youth intake was supposedly a "golden generation." It worked out pretty well for me - an AMR became an immediate starter and three others are currently in my 5 subs with one of them getting quite a bit of starts due to injuries.  I don't think any looked quite as good as @lionel messi's player, but they are close to that level now after a year's experience.

I'm not intentionally playing a youth challenge.  I'm not actively scouting either, so these youths are just as good or better than the players who offer themselves to me.

My second intake was complete rubbish though.

How far are you in now? Second season?

Second season-ish...  I forced Keymer&Hassocks to get relegated with a sacrificial manager and took them over with my real manager with 5 matches to go in their first season.  I just completed my first L22 season with them and got them promoted back up.  In pre-season of my second full season with the club now.

5 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

Second season-ish...  I forced Keymer&Hassocks to get relegated with a sacrificial manager and took them over with my real manager with 5 matches to go in their first season.  I just completed my first L22 season with them and got them promoted back up.  In pre-season of my second full season with the club now.

Oh yes, so you're K&H manager. Nice one. Last season we got promoted together and they do appear to be my main rivals now. They've gone professional too and are in a far worse financial predicament as their AI can't adapt as drastically as me. I'll keep an eye on off-field developments there.

Um, I just counted their squad - 57 of 'em!!!!!

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh yes, so you're K&H manager. Nice one. Last season we got promoted together and they do appear to be my main rivals now. They've gone professional too and are in a far worse financial predicament as their AI can't adapt as drastically as me. I'll keep an eye on off-field developments there.

I played 1600+ hours of FM17, mostly with K&H last year.  I felt like it would be treason if I chose another club.

Keep the updates coming on your save.  The challenge you have is phenomenal.  If you can pull it off... :applause:

1 minute ago, jwchriste said:

I played 1600+ hours of FM17, mostly with K&H last year.  I felt like it would be treason if I chose another club.

Keep the updates coming on your save.  The challenge you have is phenomenal.  If you can pull it off... :applause:

You got the K&H logo, 3D kits etc? Adds real depth.

Update: just gone out in a penalty shoot-out. Not upset at that - my squad can't cope with the extra matches.

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

You got the K&H logo, 3D kits etc? Adds real depth.

I have the logo and 2D kits.  They changed the 3D kits in this year's game so the kits I had from last year won't work.

A glimmer of good news. Turns out all my squad bar two have contract extension options, which I've triggered, so they'll be with me for the next 18 months. I do have two grumpy ones who aren't happy that they weren't getting enough games, but that will resolve itself and they should sign by the end of the season. The chairman won't be happy to fork out for loyalty payments and appearance fees, but it wasn't me who negotiated them!

My backup keeper complained about starting matches.  I quelled him with my superior man management skills.  My starting keeper then gets poached so my backup gets his wish.  My only other keeper gets injured for 4 months.  Now, the complainer is complaining once again about starting matches.  He's starting all my friendlies, but I still have a month of pre-season before any matches that count start!  I may end up with a "grey" keeper by the time the season starts.

@lionel messi, how do you play the game?  I mean, how do you play so many seasons so rapidly (compared to me)?

It takes me two full days of playing to complete one season.  I'm off work this week so I'm taking full advantage.  Starting next week, It'll probably take me a full week to complete a season.  There's probably not much I can do because of the way I play, but maybe I'm missing something that could speed things up a little.

11 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

@lionel messi, how do you play the game?  I mean, how do you play so many seasons so rapidly (compared to me)?

It takes me two full days of playing to complete one season.  I'm off work this week so I'm taking full advantage.  Starting next week, It'll probably take me a full week to complete a season.  There's probably not much I can do because of the way I play, but maybe I'm missing something that could speed things up a little.

Im off work also this week so getting quite a bit in, I just try and get all my players for the season in pre season so not too much messing about.

I have also been deleting levels as I get promoted to the next level, although it does not really make any difference as there are barely any leagues at this low levels, there are 129,000 players loaded on my game so could do with getting rid of some more levels to reduce the players when I get promoted again.

2 am - I'm all out, will finish off the season tomorrow. This screenie shows where we're at though - it's been a turbulent, traumatic transition this season. A year ago we had a bunch of dudes kicking a ball around the park for fun. A few weren't interested in going professional and left, and within a few months I cruelly had to get rid of half the remainder because they weren't allowed to play for free - or less than a minimum wage. Predictably, my thread-bare surviving squad got tired and went through a jaded patch where we got knocked out of three cups before reviving to take the title - and, I predict, the final knock-out trophy.

For all my desperate pruning, I still couldn't get the wage bill down to the board's demands, and I wondered if it would cost me my job. I got a decent bunch of 15 and 16 year olds up from my academy, but still had to pay 350 quid per month to retain their services, so I only kept a few and up went the wage bill again. Rather than punish me, the chairman elected to increase the wage budget, so in fact for the whole of next season I should be safely within my remit. The fact that the club has sustained 600,000 pounds of losses this year is not my responsibility.

I feel that I have stabilized the squad - everyone is on 12-18 month contracts to see us through next season, and I'm certain the squad is strong enough to dominate level 18 and probably 5 levels above. There's nothing I can do about future financial shocks, but so long as I can keep the bulk of the squad together and stay within wage limits, I should be able to carry on.

Untitled.jpg

8 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

2 am - I'm all out, will finish off the season tomorrow. This screenie shows where we're at though - it's been a turbulent, traumatic transition this season. A year ago we had a bunch of dudes kicking a ball around the park for fun. A few weren't interested in going professional and left, and within a few months I cruelly had to get rid of half the remainder because they weren't allowed to play for free - or less than a minimum wage. Predictably, my thread-bare surviving squad got tired and went through a jaded patch where we got knocked out of three cups before reviving to take the title - and, I predict, the final knock-out trophy.

For all my desperate pruning, I still couldn't get the wage bill down to the board's demands, and I wondered if it would cost me my job. I got a decent bunch of 15 and 16 year olds up from my academy, but still had to pay 350 quid per month to retain their services, so I only kept a few and up went the wage bill again. Rather than punish me, the chairman elected to increase the wage budget, so in fact for the whole of next season I should be safely within my remit. The fact that the club has sustained 600,000 pounds of losses this year is not my responsibility.

I feel that I have stabilized the squad - everyone is on 12-18 month contracts to see us through next season, and I'm certain the squad is strong enough to dominate level 18 and probably 5 levels above. There's nothing I can do about future financial shocks, but so long as I can keep the bulk of the squad together and stay within wage limits, I should be able to carry on.

Untitled.jpg

keep up the good work

3am for me.  I chained myself to my chair and put on blinders today and finished my entire second season, except for the cup finals.  Much easier season this go-around.  Second straight season with injury problems for my strikers so I made sure I had five first-team-capable lads and I needed them all (my formation only uses one).  My M(C) corps were fairly aggressive and drew all four red cards for my club, three from one player.  All the injuries and suspensions required a lot of rotation.  I think I now probably have two full 11-man lineups that could compete if healthy.

fm18_L21_results.thumb.PNG.f7a42954eeb52b6153ce319a7133f68e.PNG

I had another "golden generation" youth intake.  I signed six but meh, they didn't seem too exciting to me.  Maybe a couple will pan out.  My board also agreed to increase my junior coaching twice.  It's now average.  Maybe next year's intake will be more immediately useful.

100% win record - nice one. I've just completed my 20-21 season with a tidy cup victory.  If I get stability next season it should be a whitewash. With the benefit of full-time training I'm expecting serious cohesion and some pretty football to be played. The players are definitely good enough and I'm not letting any in or out if I can help it. The main challenges ought be concerning man-management; I'm maintaining a first-team squad of 23 - one GK and 2 for each outfield position including a 15 year-old right-back academy kid who's proved his mettle in the last few matches. That leaves 9 kids in my U23 squad who don't appear to be too ambitious and hopefully won't give me grief.

I forgot that logo - priceless! :lol:

7 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeah, four-star potential. most of the rest of the intake have half or one star - just place-holders until the next intake. One of these per year would be sweet.

I have quite a few players who could develop, here is my u23's and u18's squads.

Capture.thumb.JPG.a6f2a7cabb74b47bc9d665868b8a072d.JPGCapture1.thumb.JPG.e752ea2c2163fe1b9c3f8ddba3727b16.JPG

4 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I'll try that, although with 600K losses I doubt the board will be too keen!

Talking of which, they never referred to the 3 cup losses in compos we were supposed to win - all is forgiven!

I just got the board to increase junior & youth coaching budget again.

my junior coaching budget will be exceptional and my youth coaching budget will be established.

I won the first of my four cup finals, but lost a key M(C) to a four week injury.  A couple days later, 2/4 of my strikers went down in practice to long term injuries.  I still have a full squad, but any more injuries/suspensions and I'll be fielding a weaker side.  Can't wait for some better physios to come available!

3 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

I won the first of my four cup finals, but lost a key M(C) to a four week injury.  A couple days later, 2/4 of my strikers went down in practice to long term injuries.  I still have a full squad, but any more injuries/suspensions and I'll be fielding a weaker side.  Can't wait for some better physios to come available!

Physios won't prevent injuries, but Sports Scientists? I'm being told to hire one but I'm loathed to add to the wage bill. Are they worth it?

You're probably right.  I think I'm still playing like it's FM14.  Someone did a pretty thorough experiment a few years ago comparing the effect of a physio rated "1" vs. a physio rated "20" and the effects on team injuries was pretty dramatic.  But, that was before they added sports scientists to the game. I don't have your financial restraints yet so maybe I should look into getting one, even a poorly rated one.

I thought the physio rating affected how accurately he/she diagnosed a return date, but didn't actually speed up healing or prevent injuries. 

The Sorts Scientist tells you how to adjust your training to reduce the chance of injuries. I can get one with an 8 rating - maybe I should. My DoF is trying to extend all my players' contracts at the  moment so I'll see what's left when he's done.

That's probably how it works now.  Makes sense to separate the two functions.  In the past, I think the manual only said that the physios increased the accuracy of the diagnoses but, as with a lot of the behind the scenes stuff in this game, they also helped with injury frequency.  At least, that's what that experiment appeared to show; it was an extensive experiment if I remember correctly.

I completely missed that one. Oh well. I'm finding it odd how few bad tackles occur and how few on-field injuries I'm seeing. Is it a feature of the 18.3 update?

Another weird observation - kids must be well posh in Sussex - half the regens I'm seeing have double-barrelled names!

10 minutes ago, jwchriste said:

I got the board to agree to let me sign a sports scientist.  SPS = 6.  We'll see if it helps shorten some of these injuries.

I still don't think that's how it works. He advises you how to prevent injuries by managing the players better.

sps_eval.thumb.PNG.94eff55544488825c8fe8c5c176af307.PNG

Even he's surprised at our injury situation.  Strange thing is it seems to affect my strikers more than other positions.  I've barely had any defensive injuries over the last two seasons.  Maybe my formation just leaves my lone striker exposed to extra abuse?

Could be they've got high injury proneness hidden atts, or could be your training regime.

Something I've trialled lately is giving the squad a really long pre-season break. I call them back for a 3-week pre-season when they're familiar with my tactic from the previous seasons. Can't be sure but I think it has a role in my low injury rate.

Could be.  Could just be (un)luck.  I normally ignore all those posts complaining about injuries.  I've played enough that I've been through good stretches with very few injuries and bad stretches with a lot.  I feel a little disingenuous posting about these injuries.  I'm not complaining about the game or the game's mechanics.  I've just never been through a stretch where it seems to happen to anyone I play in a certain position.  It's just weird.  Can't complain too much with an undefeated season.

Oh well.  Keep calm and play FM.  It'll all work out.

14 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Could be they've got high injury proneness hidden atts, or could be your training regime.

Something I've trialled lately is giving the squad a really long pre-season. I call them back for a 3-week pre-season when they're familiar with my tactic from the previous seasons. Can't be sure but I think it has a role in my low injury rate.

I was using a 5-week pre-season.  Very long, several players complained.  I shortened it this season to 4 weeks.

Archived