Passing triangles

Hi, I am looking to get some insight on creating triangles taking in consideration roles & duties. Yeah I know some formations can create triangles because it's in their structure, but we need to look at duties, and at roles.

What I mean by that, well would it be advised to pair up let's say, a winger on attack with a CM (D) on his side, and also a striker on attack duty infront of him to create the passing triangles? I don't think this will turn out so great because there are gonna be gaps between them and it's likely the passing triangles will fail. So you could turn your CM into a support duty and have your dropping striker on your winger side. But then again, what if you use an attacking fullback o the same flank as your winger? You need cover for him so a defensive duty CM would be more advised.

I would like to have a discussion of how to set up these triangles and what are some good combinations between duties, what roles should be paid more attention and all of this under the umbrella of achieving a desired attacking pattern.

If you use W(A) and CM(D) who holds position and winger goes wide  that would isolate the winger, option to make not so isolated is to use BBM or RPM on that side which roam, CM(A) also can work to exploit that space becase winger will draw opposition wide, but it depends on formation, in 4231 I would use W(S), CM(D), FB(A), and AM(A) to pair that side up for example.

It depends on formation, any preferred ones? 

As an alternative point of view, rather than immediately thinking about player roles & duties, consider what players may need to do in order to create triangles.  They need to move to stay one step ahead of the opposition and so be in a position to offer a suitable passing option (in a triangle for example).

So rather than thinking about player roles & duties, what might be useful for players themselves to have in order to find space and offer a passing option?

You can also consider formation.  Some formations may lend themselves more naturally to passing triangles than others.  For example consider a flat 4-4-2 vs a narrow diamond 4-4-2.  Which one has natural triangles built in?

So TL;DR, don't jump straight into roles & duties - consider some other factors as well.

Yeah of course but in my case I have a formation that should create some passing triangles, I use a 4-1-4-1 with some elements inspired from Guardiola's Bayern 4-1-4-1, not fully replicating his system because some of the movements would be impossible in the ME and also my interpretation is not always close to reality. Point is I want to provide support everywhere on the pitch while keeping my desired attacking patterns and the general attacking principles on target.

Archived