Midfield role combinations in a 4-1-2-3 (DM-wide)

Hi all,

I've read this article:

In this thread it says that in a 3-men midfield with a DM, it's best you pick 1 defend duty, 1 support duty and 1 attack duty as creative outlet.
And if you don't want to use an attack duty, it's best to use a BBM as it gets forward the most.

Now I'm wondering if it would still be ok to use 2 support duties in my central midfield (and a defend in my DM).
I've tested this a couple of games and I didn't see any big differences between using an AP (A) and an AP (S)

I'm asking this because sometimes I have an advanced playmaker that is a fair bit better in the support role than he is in the attacking role, in that case I would prefer him to play as an AP (S).
or do you guys say it's better to have him play as an AP (A) even if he's better in the support role? (I'm not talking about Modric in the screenshot, but just in general -  I'm just using R. Madrid in FM touch to quickly test my tactics)

I'm using a skin that allows me to show AI tactic roles, and a lot of  AI teams even use 3 support roles in their 3-men midfield.
So I'm wondering how far I should stick to the advise of 1 D, 1 S and 1 A duty, and how much of a difference  it makes using an AP (S) instead of an AP (A)

formation_real.png

Hello there! The differences between duties can be seen if you look at certain things, but thet depend heavily on the rest of the tactic. So, in my opinion you should look at it like a whole, not the midfield as a part of the system.

For example, since Marcelo is CWB, Kroos should be a bit more defensive minded, in order to cover him when he bombs forward to support CR7. You can instruct him to Hold his Position, that would offer some cover in your left side, since CR doesn't track back a lot and Marcelo may be caught out of position in a fast opposition transition.

This is how I set up my midfield, or any other line of the tactic. I'm trying to create balanced combinations of duties, so there are players who offer cover, support, passing outlets, or movement.

Off Topic:

Morata as an Advanced Forward may be a bit isolated up front with no supply, because Inside Forwards aren't so creative as Wingers or Adv.Playmakers. I would try to play Morata as a Complete Forward with Support Duty, Cristiano as a Raumdeuter since he doesn't dribble that much anymore and he doesn't participate on the build up and play Bale on the right side as an Inside Forward with "Cross More Often" instruction enabled. That would be a bit more balanced in terms of support, movenent and supply, plus a bit closer to what Zidane did last year.

They're recommendations not rules.  Its hard to go wrong with that combo but its not the only thing that works.  Whatever you pick you will need to balance with the roles and duties around them.  Having an extra support duty instead of an attack will make that player not get forward as often and will play safer.  This could help retain possession and defensive shape but needs to be accounted for with the roles and duties around him to make sure your players still combine well and are not isolated.

In this case the duty difference for a Advanced Playmaker is more subtle compared to other roles. He will still try and collect the ball to then create for others, he doesn't make runs often but will take more risks and get more advanced more often.

• 2 weeks later...

The main difference between APa and APs is that APa dribbles more and moves into spaces with ball when he has it. There are a lot of players able to play AP roles, but to be good as APa they have to have better dribbling ability - (dribbling, agility, balance, technique). Otherwise it might happen that he will loose the ball too often in midfield and it leaves your defense exposed to counter attacks. 

I play with 4-2-3-1 and I use DMCs, B2Bs and APa in midfield.

Archived