Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
deltablue

Video careers, should they be allowed?

Should video/blog threads be allowed on FMCU?  

57 members have voted

  1. 1. Should video/blog threads be allowed on FMCU?

    • Yes
      21
    • No
      37


Recommended Posts

Over the past few years we've had a bunch of threads that have been videos or links to blogs but recently I've been wondering whether to ban them from the FM18 release onwards, especially since content like that really should belong on the fansites and community links section, which is the rule on other parts of the forum. There has never been a solid decision one way or the other on this so I thought I'd see what everyone else thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no, but to be honest I have no really strong opinion on them, beyond them not interesting me personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted yes. 

Although most video blogs vlogs or whatever are not my cup of tea, I have occasionally come across something that I like. This has never been via this forum however. That being said, if it's a career update then it would seem pretty "on-topic". 

My advice would be to let the population of this sub-forum decide whether they want to watch it by letting them be posted. If they are not popular then they will soon vanish off the 1st page and be forgotten about and if they are popular.... well isn't that reason enough to have them in here in the first place? 

Let them post just so that I can free to completely ignore them. :lol:

In all seriousness though, if there isn't somewhere for them in the forums, that's reason enough not to exclude them from here. There should really be a place for everyone somewhere on these forums.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, nie jem frytek said:

Can't they just get their own subforum?

Either that or a suitable tag and I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I voted no but I’m not hugely fussed, like Jimbo said I tend to ignore the majority and it’s quite rare I notice any stay on the main page too frequently. 

A ban would possibly be a tad harsh on the few I’ve seen who actually do go to the trouble of posting proper write ups alongside the video, but I can see a ban would work as it would get rid of the odd chancer posting their videos here for free and easy exposure to their YouTube channel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in terms of video careers, as long as the thread isn't constantly spammed by the owner to watch his videos, then they should be allowed. As @Jimbokav1971 said, they will soon drop out of view and I guess most viewer comments will be on YT as opposed to here.

As for blogs, again I don't have much of a problem, though I guess their content can be copied and pasted here, as opposed to just an external link.

i'm all for seeing new and varied career save content, so I don't think accommodating it here can be much of a bad thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Either that or a suitable tag and I'm all for it.

I think more use of tags, especially to identify vlogs, would be a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I voted no but I’m not hugely fussed, like Jimbo said I tend to ignore the majority and it’s quite rare I notice any stay on the main page too frequently. 

A ban would possibly be a tad harsh on the few I’ve seen who actually do go to the trouble of posting proper write ups alongside the video, but I can see a ban would work as it would get rid of the odd chancer posting their videos here for free and easy exposure to their YouTube channel. 

If I was a YouTuber and looking to get my videos to the masses, I would tailor my delivery to suit the audience. 

If It's Twitter you are obviously limited by the number of characters, but you still wouldn't just post the video and nothing else. You would want a title to act as a hook to attract viewers. 

It's exactly the same here. We are here because we like a text based forum rather than video;s or anything else, and if I was advertising here I would at the very ;east be adding a brief summary to encourage those that might like the save or style of play to click on the link and press play. 

Anyone just adding video's in this forum will soon learn that they are wasting their time, (and ours), and that they need to provide more. 

My personal preference in following a save is that I like a mix of text and video and graphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they are banned or not. I've never watched one myself, partly because I don't have the time to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it needs a judgement call on whether the thread fits the purpose of this forum without the links.

If it's just blatant promotion of content elsewhere, then it doesn't belong here. If the links add to the content being posted here (much like links to images) then I don't see a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't bother me either way but the point of the forum is to share your career. 

In the early days we had to write, then we moved onto including pics, now most careers include a lot of pics (Some to the point where there is hardly any writing).  The next step is video careers and just like pics we can't host the videos on here so they have to be hosted elsewhere.  Does that matter? the main issue seems to be whether you consider it sharing a career or advertising the videos.

Personally I would allow them as long as the user doesn't constantly bump them (Which is much the same as any career).  As Jimbo has said above if people aren't interested it will soon drop off the first page and be forgotten about.

EDIT

I also agree with Jimbo that the thread should be tagged or something included in the title to identify it as a video career.

 

Edited by Cougar2010

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, I think primarily video careers should have their own sub-forum however people who mix videos with more classic manager forum updates should be here. Mostly coz I could see myself live streaming/videoing key games for next year's save and wouldn't want to be banished. Mostly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

See, I think primarily video careers should have their own sub-forum however people who mix videos with more classic manager forum updates should be here. Mostly coz I could see myself live streaming/videoing key games for next year's save and wouldn't want to be banished. Mostly.

I had assumed this thread was purely about fellows that just post links to videos on youtube, adding the odd video into regular threads should be fine, but a thread that's nothing but youtube links, well, I guess that's fine too, just nothing I'm interested in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banning them would seem a bit harsh to me although I can't say I'd watch any of them even if they were allowed. I tend to catch up on other people's threads when I'm on the train to work, but that means I'm looking for something to read, not to watch. 

However, I do think there would be odd times where banning video threads would be acceptable, such as with users who only log in to the forum briefly to post a video and then scarper, instead of becoming part of the community and posting on other people's threads, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never watched one, purely because I find them uninteresting.

However, as long as they are tagged as such, I don't mind them being posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have probably only ever watched a couple, they are not something I would follow or watch on a regular basis as I just prefer other updates rather than watching a video.

I have voted no but that is harsh.

Edited by Maw74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, withnail316 said:

However, I do think there would be odd times where banning video threads would be acceptable, such as with users who only log in to the forum briefly to post a video and then scarper, instead of becoming part of the community and posting on other people's threads, too. 

That's usually what happens. People just coming on to post a new video without engaging with other threads, which admittedly happens the other way as well with no one feeling like engaging with them. It seems a lot more like something best kept to the fansites and community links section. That's usually for channels as a whole rather that specific series but it fits close enough, and it's where people have been told to go when they try posting about them on GD.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/24-football-manager-fansites-and-community-links/

I'm trying to think of some sort of middie ground solution and I think a good one might be to allow posts that are a mixture of videos and a text description, which wouldn't be much different to mixing screenshots and text like we all do, but not threads that are simply dumping videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, deltablue said:

That's usually what happens. People just coming on to post a new video without engaging with other threads, which admittedly happens the other way as well with no one feeling like engaging with them. It seems a lot more like something best kept to the fansites and community links section. That's usually for channels as a whole rather that specific series but it fits close enough, and it's where people have been told to go when they try posting about them on GD.

https://community.sigames.com/forum/24-football-manager-fansites-and-community-links/

I'm trying to think of some sort of middie ground solution and I think a good one might be to allow posts that are a mixture of videos and a text description, which wouldn't be much different to mixing screenshots and text like we all do, but not threads that are simply dumping videos.

That middle ground does seem best. 

I'll admit I voted "no" because the video careers I remember are people simply dumping their videos here, without much in the way or explanation or otherwise engaging the forum.  I also can't think of a video career that has ever grabbed my interest -- the medium isn't my cup of tea for this sort of thing.

My vote was a little harsh, though.  There is (should be?) a place here for someone who is doing more than just pimping their own videos, but using the videos to augment their thread.  (E.g., a season update, with a tactical video or key highlights appended to it.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

That middle ground does seem best. 

I'll admit I voted "no" because the video careers I remember are people simply dumping their videos here, without much in the way or explanation or otherwise engaging the forum.  I also can't think of a video career that has ever grabbed my interest -- the medium isn't my cup of tea for this sort of thing.

My vote was a little harsh, though.  There is (should be?) a place here for someone who is doing more than just pimping their own videos, but using the videos to augment their thread.  (E.g., a season update, with a tactical video or key highlights appended to it.)

I think that isn't a bad idea. I would be very interested in someone talking through video highlights & tactical moves.

Edited by Deisler26

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I've never watched one, purely because I find them uninteresting.

However, as long as they are tagged as such, I don't mind them being posted.

This.

I think the nice thing about this forum is it's generally allowed people to post in their own way. Whether that be only after their season concludes, or game-by-game. So if someone wants to post their career updates in video form, I think that's fine. I personally don't watch them, but that's because I prefer to read and detest the "pivot to video" RL sports media outlets are trying to do now.

I agree with db though that it shouldn't just be spamming videos to the forum (or driving traffic to your vlog, but I kinda feel the same way if someone were posting links from here to an offline blog where they write up their career). There should be some kind of interaction, even if it's a just a quick "FFS, we just blew a 2-goal lead in stoppage time. :D "

 

Edited by Jason the Yank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like most people here do - that video careers might not fit in, at least not perfectly. 

I most also say though, that the thought have struck me before, that it could be fun and interesting to include videos in some format to my threads. Specifically following the FCMU - Rivalries thread, that @Jupjamie and I started where I Twitch streamed our H2H matches. Had we been chatting - either on text or with live voice - over the game, and had I then edited it and posted it, I could see it being something that could draw some more attention. But not in that sole purpose, I think. In the build up to the stream we had an intro post that described some previous events and why our two main characters even met each other in the first place, and then we had the games streamed (we didn't really have too much of an aftermath, though). I think, if we had a video of it, that it would've been possible to draw up more attention and create something different to the text based forum. 

The way I considered implementing it in my threads was by doing something along the lines @ManUtd1 mentioned. Either by something about tactics or transfers, or maybe something silly - actually, probably something silly if I'm the creator...

All in all I think it could definitely work, but it would have to be more than just to get views on some "see me play fm lol"- videos without any editing. This is not a video forum, but a text forum. If people wants to solely have videos then Youtube is their place, not FMCU - a good mix, is another thing, however.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...