Using FMT with a 12" Macbook (Q&A)

tl;dr - It works fine, the Macbook gets very warm, no slow-down or sluggishness.

Macbook specs: i7 1.4 (turbo up to 3.4), 16GB's RAM, 512GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 615 1536 MB.

In an effort to answer questions before umpteen topics are made, thought I'd make this and share what I have.

How warm does your Macbook get?

Very. Not uncomfortable but certainly noticeable on the keyboard. I countered this with a cooling fan which I use anyway since I use Final Cut Pro and Garageband quite a bit.

If your Macbook gets too hot then it will shut down automatically to avoid damaging itself - this hasn't happened so far and, from what I have read, hasn't been close to.

What I will say is the temperature gauge I use from iStatMenu reads between 65-80C; around the same I saw on my iMac, which regularly started the fans up.

Is the game sluggish?

No, not at all. It flies along. I'll update as I go through my save if anything becomes sluggish.

The main game (FM17) however is quite sluggish and slow.

How many leagues can you play?

I'm using 5 leagues and got 4.5 stars on the speed rating. See the attached screenshot for more details.

Why do you play FMT and not the full-fat FM?

I found myself giving my staff most of the work for stuff like training, team talks, media handling, scouting etc. Upon learning that FMT does all this for you, it seemed sensible to switch.

Also, life.

Why the hell did you buy an Apple 12" Macbook for FM, you idiot?

I didn't.

Had a 2012 iMac but hated being chained to the desk in my hot office at home. I bought a Macbook Pro but didn't like the form factor, the weight or the touch bar. Changed for a Macbook Pro without the touch bar, still didn't like it.

I need Mac OS for Final Cut Pro, primarily, and Garageband. I've owned various Chromebooks over the years and loved the portability, so I bought an all-singing, all-dancing Macbook for much more thsn is sensible.

Hopefully this answers most questions, though if you have any more then feel free to ask. :)

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 10.32.56.png

Archived