Opinions on Northern Ireland?

I always start my saves as realistically as possible - Unemployed, no coaching badges, Sunday league playing experience.

This means I'm not tempted to kick a top manager out a club unrealistically and the save is as real as it can be.

In FM15 (The first FM I bought), I did this and ended up in Indonesia. In FM17 (Didn't get 16) I ended up in Northern Ireland. 

I'm enjoying this save a lot more than in Indonesia, and I was trying to work out why. I think it's because I understand the game more now, invest more time and effort, etc. along with other factors. 

It's a fun challenge to win things when your players can be taken for free at any point (For most teams), it means I've either got to scout just a tiny area (NI, ROI, England) or take a punt on offering trials to new gens from other countries. With little job pressure due to club stature, it's a good way to build a career and get some experience.

Has anyone else done a save in Northern Ireland? How did it go? Who were you playing as? Where did you go next? Did you enjoy the save? 

Interested to see what other people think.

11 minutes ago, Barside said:

Far too many cup competitions in Northern Ireland for my liking.

I agree, although I think it does depend which club you take over. Some of the cups are area based, e.g. the County Antrim Shield. It only consists of 8 teams I believe, all of whom are within a set region. Good chance to rotate your squad, but they do often get in the way.

Currently playing as Queens University after one promotion and a Steel & Sons Cup win.

I am hoping to get into the top division and become a professional club but don't really know how will I manage to do that since the majority of my players are just rubbish and can't seem to follow tactical instructions for anything more than a mid-table finish.

I did a save in Wales with Bangor City. This was nice because I won a (and my first) national title (Wales championship) in the first saison and was in the qualifier for the championsleague.  That was fun, even I was always eliminated in the second qualifier round, i. e. when I met the first professionell opponent.

I think Nort Ireland is more fun because Wales has only one league in FM and in North irlenad , you can achieve promotion?!

On 9/19/2017 at 15:24, Eborg said:

Currently playing as Queens University after one promotion and a Steel & Sons Cup win.

That's impressive tbf. I went up in second place with Dundela in the first season, Queens University won the PIL. I've managed to just stay up since (10th twice, 11th twice), but I'm yet to win a cup. I think when I finally do then I'll try my hand elsewhere, outside of Northern Ireland.

I haven't play in Northern Ireland but I played many saves in small reputation leagues (Gibraltar,Andorra) this feeling when you finally pass CL 2nd quilifier is amazing :D Always wanted to start a save with Crusaders I like their colours and especially their badge, also IRL every year they try pass a round in Europe and they can't, this year they lost this opportunity in last minutes against a Latvian club.. Good luck whatever you choose.. :thup:

16 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

Always wanted to start a save with Crusaders

Funny you should say this... I'm just about to submit my team for a cup game against Crusaders :lol: I've played them a few times and they usually beat me 3-0, if not more, they're a good side.

On 9/21/2017 at 19:30, David_H1997 said:

That's impressive tbf. I went up in second place with Dundela in the first season, Queens University won the PIL. I've managed to just stay up since (10th twice, 11th twice), but I'm yet to win a cup. I think when I finally do then I'll try my hand elsewhere, outside of Northern Ireland.

A lot of it had to do with luck. Played mostly lower-division teams and faced one of the reserve teams in the final, I think Linfield Swifts.

On 25/09/2017 at 08:26, Eborg said:

A lot of it had to do with luck. Played mostly lower-division teams and faced one of the reserve teams in the final, I think Linfield Swifts.

I just won the Steel & Sons Cup with Dundela 2 (real life) days ago - Against Linfield Swifts! 3-1 victory. 

Last 3 games of the league season to play today then I'm off to find a new club.

Archived