[FM17] How to cheat at a youth challenge

noikeee

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2017/2018 - End of season report

XBWXRO4.jpg

After the winter break - in which we'd done remarkably well, beating the likes of Zenit and Steaua - my theory that our form was dropping as other teams started to respect us and play more defensively, was seemingly confirmed. We couldn't get a run going, really, with only some occasional wins here and there. Although, we weren't losing often neither. Narrow defeats to Rijeka in February and Dinamo in March were nothing unusual or to be ashamed of. We kept on holding on to 2nd ahead of Solin, and cementing enough of a points lead over 4th placed Rijeka not to worry about dropping out of Europe.

Indeed, as we faced Rijeka with 5 matches to go, we smashed them 4-1 and pretty much confirmed Europe right there. Little did I know there was still (a lot) more to come and we would finish the season on revamped, epic form. Dinamo at some stage had opened up a comfortable lead at the top, but were inconsistent lately and dropping off. As we faced them with 3 matches to go, they held a 3 points lead and would still remain 1st whatever happened, due to better direct confrontation, but this was still our golden opportunity to still try to surprise Dinamo and sneak ahead of them at the end of the season as champions. Except we didn't take this chance. Although we equalised the match late on, the 1-1 draw meant we remained 3 points behind with 2 matches to go, and Dinamo still had advantage even if we'd finish equal points. Surely this was over?

Except it wasn't. In the penultimate fixture, whilst we went to Split to beat Hajduk 3-0 in a remarkable performance, Dinamo dropped points, drawing 1-1 at home with Osijek. So into the final match, Dinamo kept just a single point advantage over us. We were both away: Osijek-Novigrad, Split-Dinamo for the final day. I took over this critical match, and cheered as we scored first, through an Artur Miranyan on good end-of-season form, which put us ahead in the table momentarily. Momentarily? We reached half-time and it was still Osijek 0-1 Novigrad and Split 0-0 Dinamo. This made us champions. The matches continued. And continued. We squandered chances, then Osijek started pressuring us. From Split the big news arrived - Dinamo was now losing 1-0. Even better for us, but we had to hold on. There was, ridiculously, still time for Zvonimir Deak 17I to make his debut in injury time, replacing a very tired if always key Marin Pilj. And it was with the new kid on the pitch that the referee blew his whistle and the results declared us Croatian champions...

AwW2nkR.jpg

GgAYllA.jpg

I'm staggered, this is absurd. To somehow sneak in as champions in the final day, is something I won't forgot so soon! I'm very proud of my players as they bring Champions League football to Novigrad and our first ever title as well, just one year after we came 2nd in the 2nd tier...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/09/2017 at 19:30, noikeee said:

IzBd9ru.jpg

0KN9ApR.jpg

Amazing, I'd never seen this before. There was an option in the board requests to negotiate the link with Istra 1961... so they became the feeder club and we became the parent club, instead of the other way around as it was until here. :lol:

This could be great, I hope they send us some talents for the youth intake.

Brilliant. Never seen that before. :applause:

8 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Dina-who??

I'm quite fond of Dinamo actually, so kind of feel bad about this. :D

6 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Brilliant. Never seen that before. :applause:

I just wanted to take advantage of the new situation to get rid of the parent club, but this was better!

5 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

Congrats!

How is Istra 1961 youth setup?

"Average youth facilities", "average junior coaching", "average youth recruitment"

So better recruitment than us but worse facilities. Our facilities were actually pretty damn great from the beginning.

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2017/2018 - Season review

The club's first ever season in the top tier finishes with a shock first ever title, too. Safe to say this is a season to remember.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

4oLfsEQ.jpg

5. Ivan Aleksic (AML, DL) - A strong season from the leftback-turned-leftwinger (or fake left winger, since I use a IF/S role but on his preferred foot flank so he tends to play like a sort of narrower winger that also shows up to finish). Despite having theoretically poor finishing skills, he scored 8 goals, as well as contributing with 5 assists.

4. Artur Miranyan (ST) - Had lots more trouble playing at this level than he did at the 2.HNL last year - the goals dried up and although he did finish as our top scorer, he only scored 12 times. The ratings were also pretty average. However, bonus points for that little streak at the end with 4 goals in the last 4 matches, including the goal that gave us the title in the last day vs Osijek. Also got 7 assists which is pretty good for a striker.

3. Robert Dadic (AMC, ST) - Contrary to Miranyan, he excelled more at this level than he had in the 2nd tier, which is a little counter-intuitive. Had a stellar beginning of the season, and although later on he lost his place as AMC to Kristijan Batelic, he returned at the end of the season on good form again to finish as the player with most assists - 10 - plus also a decent 6 goals.

2. Stipe Vrdoljak (DL, DR) - A very good season from our left-back - used as right-back on extreme emergency situations - who cemented himself clearly as one of the most solid players that I can rely upon in the squad, with the squad's 2nd best ratings (7.15). Injured himself a couple of times, though.

1. Marin Pilj (MC) - No question whatsoever as to who was player of the year, as the incredible 21 year old set himself apart from everyone having by far the better ratings (7.30) whilst also amassing an incredible 8 goals and 8 assists from someone who plays at the base of midfield (although usually on the adventurous CM/A role, even if lately I'm sometimes using him as the CM/D next to the CM/A).

Best youth player

Ben Moore 17A (AMR, AML) - With a pretty sensational improvement in attributes, partially aided by tutoring by Marin Pilj (I didn't even know a 20/21 year old could be a tutor in FM, apparently yes now), Ben has become a valuable first team player already at the age of 17, and I believe the only things holding him back from stealing Nemanja Belakovic's usual role on the right-wing, is a wee bit more pace, and specially more consistency. I think it won't be long until he's the starter there, though.

Career progress table

Ca828bJ.jpg

On 21/09/2017 at 19:30, noikeee said:

IzBd9ru.jpg

0KN9ApR.jpg

Amazing, I'd never seen this before. There was an option in the board requests to negotiate the link with Istra 1961... so they became the feeder club and we became the parent club, instead of the other way around as it was until here. :lol:

This could be great, I hope they send us some talents for the youth intake.

This has made me very happy as I raised this as a feature request a few years back :D

2 hours ago, Dexter_Morgan said:

Amazing work to do that so quickly :eek: :thup::applause: 

Cheers Mr. serial murderer! :D

30 minutes ago, Pompeyboyz said:

This has made me very happy as I raised this as a feature request a few years back :D

Good job! It's these little details that make FM special and increase immersion. 

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2018/2019 - Golden signing

78K€ from just relegated Inter Zapresic:

ygRei2a.jpg

I was a bit undecided here on which position to go for - centre-back, right-back, or even another defensive CM. At the end this seemed to me the best possible option available, the personality is fine (staff reports tell me he "fits with the rest of the squad", which is professional), and he can even cover for both RB and CM, the other 2 positions we're also a bit short. The downside is, will this signing stiffle the progression of Krunoslav Malkic 18A? Quite possibly to some limited extent, but it was just by far the weakest position at the moment: Diego Valenta is 32 and quickly fading, Josip Tomasevic is needed elsewhere at midfield, Luka Cakarun is our best long-term option but even he isn't good enough, Ronaldo Rudovic is probably not even good enough for a backup, and Dusan Mileusnic retired this season. So I'm seeing my long-term CB duo as this new signing Cosic next to my young kid Malkic 18A.

vNc40gc.jpg

We were much more adventurous than a very restrained Celtic, but despite all those shots didn't really create that much danger, as most were from long. Nevertheless, a good result against a stronger side, and now it's all to play for in Glasgow.

Notice that the new guy was player of the match!

3DCrWFH.jpg

Woof! What a crazy match! The opposite of the 1st leg! Our brightest young talent Ben Moore 17A was a key part as he scored the first but then gave away a penalty kick, and then we cemented an away goals lead by adding 2 more goals, first through Miranyan then through a Pilj shot deflected in by Mikael Lustig. We seemed safe by half-time winning 3-1, but Celtic came at us with everything in the 2nd half, scored 2 as well, and we just about held on at the end, despite a couple of good chances for Celtic (although we could've scored more, too).

ccYGItI.jpg

We won a trip to Bulgaria to face Ludogorets, one of my most hated teams of all time - in my FM15 career with CSKA Sofia...

11 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Leto-grets!

I don't get it. :( 

10 hours ago, mjaferrie said:

Congratula... nope. Can't do it.

;)

:brock:

8 hours ago, kidthekid said:

Amaaaaaaaziiiiing!!

It's the tactics that are amazing. I'm still using something very similar to Knap's base 4-2-3-1 in like 95% of matches.

This definitely isn't quite the same as playing with my own, made from scratch systems, but it really is fun. :D

vZYXPeB.jpg

A disappointing result in Bulgaria. We had a fabulous 2-0 win in our hands but then fell apart. I think I didn't rotate the squad well enough as they were too tired from 2 recent league matches, and we were also missing star midfielder Marin Pilj who is injured.

Ludogorets now look favourites to go through, but we'll try to turn it around in Croatia and still sneak in to the CL group stage.

0YTliGo.jpg

Nooooo. So close. An early goal kept my hopes up, but Ludogorets proved tough to break down and quite probably deserved to go through over the 2 legs. We're out of the CL, into the Europa League, but we do win a nice big fat cheque of 3,260M€.

edit: plus 2,6M€ for playing in the Europa :D

i have always thought that "novigrad" is good club to play with... maybe i'd play with "solin" too... for the club you mentioned in introduction - "olimpija osijek", they are in 2nd county league of city of osijek... take a look at this

i'll release season 2017/2018 update for fm17 and you can manage any team in croatia... season starts in june of 2017...

anyway i didn't know that "novigrad" is that rich... maybe good choice for managing would be "lokomotiva", "dinamo's" sister club... but it has good training and youth facilities...

11 hours ago, john1 said:

So you knocked out Celtic in CL qualifying but now in same group as them in Europa League :D 

Yeah, it kinda pisses me off, I'd like to play some other clubs too you know!

1 hour ago, Luke Cro said:

i have always thought that "novigrad" is good club to play with... maybe i'd play with "solin" too... for the club you mentioned in introduction - "olimpija osijek", they are in 2nd county league of city of osijek... take a look at this

i'll release season 2017/2018 update for fm17 and you can manage any team in croatia... season starts in june of 2017...

anyway i didn't know that "novigrad" is that rich... maybe good choice for managing would be "lokomotiva", "dinamo's" sister club... but it has good training and youth facilities...

Brilliant. I thought Olimpija had been disbanded or something! Good to know they're still going on, even if lower down the ranks in a regional division. It's a bit late now, but if I had known about your edit, I'd probably have started with it.

I've found Novigrad to be surprisingly quite a headstart. Good facilities, decent squad with some prospects like Pilj and Dadic, and quite a bit of cash in the bank. I thought it'd be a lot harder...

well, like many clubs, before and in future, "olimpija" have financial difficulties... dont worry, update for new season will be out in following days... and all clubs will be managable...

another challenge for managers could be "zagreb", "zadar" and "split" - former teams in 1st division but have problems with money too, and they are in 3rd division now, but good training and youth facilities... i'd like to mention clubs like "vinogradar", "marsonia", "medjimurje", "varazdin", "varteks", "hrvace" etc they are also good teams to rise and conquer haha

but be aware, 3rd level can be tough... in my current save, i manage team which starts from 4th level... in my first season in 3rd level i escaped relegation in last round, and now i'm 1st in 3rd level... and i'm trying to bring young prospects around a world... e.g. their ca/pa can be 70/140... so in future, my small club can benefit in cash and promotion...

major problem in many croatian clubs is lack of money and bad facilities...however if your club have some decent rep and good squad from beginning you can enter 2nd division pretty fast..

QUs4vC1.jpg

A frustrating defeat as we had been genuinely better than Celtic, and clearly didn't deserve this.

6nfaiuk.jpg

A much happier result! Rapid fielded a weird "attacking" 3-2-3-2 (DM-DM-ML-MC-MR) and that backfired. They did equalise in minute 89 to my horror... only for us to score the winner in minute 90.

UBuiIFb.jpg

But this is where we fell apart. We had impressed in the first half, managing to equalise by minute 30, but then it all went very wrong as a much superior side proved their worth.

hNwHyim.jpg

At the mid stage this is how the group looks, and my feeling is that, had Celtic not been on epic form (they beat Chelsea!), we'd have a genuine chance of going through. As it is, it looks very difficult.

Va3YoPS.jpg

We were beating Chelsea! Unfortunately, that didn't last long. This result immediately knocked us out of the Europa League.

UNkzxnb.jpg

Again, briefly winning! With a 1st minute goal by a kid! (Kepcija 17D has been growing under the radar and is now threatening Miranyan's place upfront as a striker). Out of the competition, I didn't bother taking on this match and left it to the assistant manager on "instant result".

mgIqd5h.jpg

....  aaaand for the 3rd one in a row, we get into a lead, then throw it away. A disappointing end to our European campaign, as this was the most winnable match of the entire group stage (although we did beat them in Wien).

yJBH2tP.jpg

Overall this was hardly an unexpected outcome, and we did well other than the 7-1 in London, but I can't help but feel disappointed because we came just short of getting more points in so many different occasions.

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2018/2019 - Mid-season report

We're starting to get rid of players, this Summer we sold midfielder/striker Ivo Caput, whilst centre-back Dusan Mileusnic retired. Meanwhile, we signed a partnership with Zmaj Makarska of the third tier (inactive) and sent them a bunch of players on loan, whilst midfielder Alen Askerov also went on loan, but to HNK Gorica.

G8XuWYa.jpg

qAGVsrj.jpg

In these mid-season/end of season reports I'm gonna stop writing about continental competitions as meanwhile I'm posting about every match at length, all you guys need to know is the continental matches are the only ones I'm actually taking over as manager (I'm instant-resulting everything else), whilst I did press "simulate match" for the last 2 fixtures against Celtic and Rapid Wien as we were mathematically out of the Europa League.

Our form in the domestic competitions has inevitably suffered, under the extra strain of so many continental matches - 4 for the CL and 6 for the EL. We did kick off with a win over Solin, and at some stage by late August/early September held the 1.HNL lead, but we've truly struggled to get a run going. There was a pretty poor patch of form going on around October/early November, and although we never dropped out of contention for European slots, we did drop to 4th at a point, and then recovered to 2nd only to see Dinamo strike 3 goals past us and overtake us, relegating us back to 3rd.

In the cup it was a very short story as a rotated, knackered side capitulated in the very 1st round away to Vinogradar, on penalty kicks.

adkDHaw.jpg

We're clearly struggling under the sheer amount of matches, with a squad not deep enough to deal with it, but considering that we're still plucky underdogs that lucked out into the title last year, it's pretty alright to remain in an European position - my real goal for this season - and we did get to the Europa groups, and beat Rapid in it. The European adventure may prove absolutely crucial as a massive amount of money entered the club, which allowed me to activate all the upgrades I took screenshots of earlier.

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2018/2019 - Youth intake

oAVlVVf.jpg

6fnPn14.jpg

r0hJQM5.jpg

9nggRMv.jpg

3fZE9c2.jpg

IhJygWG.jpg

A good but not great intake where I don't like the personalities and the players, although there's some genuine prospects here, don't seem to have top potential. Interestingly there's a pretty readymade wingback in Jurjevic (I really do need a right-back, he'll be very quickly turned into one)... and an Icelander! @Jimbokav1971 sending me players!

On 24/09/2017 at 01:28, noikeee said:
Best youth player

Ben Moore 17A (AMR, AML) - With a pretty sensational improvement in attributes, partially aided by tutoring by Marin Pilj (I didn't even know a 20/21 year old could be a tutor in FM, apparently yes now), Ben has become a valuable first team player already at the age of 17, and I believe the only things holding him back from stealing Nemanja Belakovic's usual role on the right-wing, is a wee bit more pace, and specially more consistency. I think it won't be long until he's the starter there, though.

I'm pretty sure that the only conditions this works under is if the young Tutor is also the named club Captain, (or possibly vice-captain too). 

3 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

I'm pretty sure that the only conditions this works under is if the young Tutor is also the named club Captain, (or possibly vice-captain too). 

Spot on. Marin Pilj (now aged 22) has been our captain for a while!

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2018/2019 - End of season report

A little reshuffling of the youngsters, as some loans were finished, others started or re-started at different clubs.

jihkV4y.jpg

We returned from the winter break... on awful form! First surprise package - and rivals for an European place - Lokomotiva Zagreb beat us, then both Slaven Belupo and Hajduk smashed us 3-0! I was starting to think we got found out or something, as we tanked to 4th, outside of the European spots, and a very long way of the title fight. However, we would get into some pretty fantastic form for the remainder of the season. A magnificent streak of 10 matches without losing, 7 of them wins, saw us reclaim 3rd place, and even finish the season knocking at the doors of Rijeka and Dinamo who were on a deadly scrap for the title. A home draw with Osijek put us mathematically out of having any chance to reach the top 2, and in the final match, fielding as many of the youngsters as we could, we ended up gifting the title to Rijeka, thanks to the win and the 3 points they got over us.

V7VWwDP.jpg

Now that we no longer have the surprise factor of being massive underdogs, and having been burdened with all the extra European fixtures, I think I can be happy with 3rd. We get to qualify for the Europa League and keep some cash coming in, although we'll have to dodge a few qualifying rounds in there.

topxRho.jpg

Novigrad - 2018/2019 - Season review

Novigrad take part in continental competitions for the first time in our history, and we surprise by beating Celtic in the CL qualifiers and reaching the Europa League groups. In the league we drop to 3rd, but do manage to qualify for Europe again.

Statistics, best 11, and top 5 players of the season

BSRFd9N.jpg

5. Robert Dadic (AMC, MC) - "Our Messi" as I named him when I arrived at the club, whilst he never reached anything like the performance of the Argentinian wizard, continues to be an important player in the process of our attack, if often rotated with Kristijan Batelic. Now deployed pretty much exclusively deeper as AMC and never as ST - due to lack of AM alternatives and over-abundance of promising strikers. 6 goals, 7 assists.

4. Marko Cosic (DC, MC) - A great first season for the club for our golden signing. Clearly our better centre-back at the moment, has also played a few times as midfielder (CM/D) when Josip Tomasevic is unavailable.

3. Ben Moore 17A (AMR, AML) - Our English youngster has just absolutely exploded this season. His peaks were extremely impressive, as he netted 12 goals plus 5 assists, and 6 player of the match awards. However, his inconsistency is also noticeable as despite all this his ratings were still a relatively average 6.97.

2. Marin Pilj (MC) - Whilst his ratings remain standing out amongst the club's best, this was a less impressive season from our captain, as he also had to deal with a few injuries that stopped him for certain periods and important matches.

1. Artur Miranyan (ST, AML) - Our Armenian international striker returned to his best, as he paired 14 goals with an even more impressive 15 assists, as defences started playing deeper against us and forcing our strikers to instead feed those running from deep. However, despite being player of the year for me, I did drop him here and there for the quickly improving Krunoslav Kepcija 17D, and I'm now sometimes fielding Miranyan on the left wing, in order to fit both.

Career progress table

xuqo4Wn.jpg

zEKBEyF.jpg

Eh, I'm concerned this might not be enough. Check out the average attendance for this season.... way over 5000, when we had a 4000 seater stadium. That's because of all the European matches we've been playing at Aldo Drosina in Pula, Istra 1961's stadium, which has capacity for 9200 people.

GQhhOw0.jpg

Meanwhile, this costs a fair bit of money. I think these are still the upgrades I asked for a few months earlier.

7qIvmFK.jpg

And in absolutely sensational news, we got Ben to get called up for England's U19s!!! That's how good he is!

Archived