Sports Interactive Community
andre02

Will Football Manager Live/Online going to come to the rest of the world ?

Hi all !  I enjoyed very much the Football Manager Live when it was launched back in 2008. For me it was the best game ever created.The thing that you play with other real players and interact with them instead of the computer is what i like the most. Negociating a transfer, sending messages to friends to find out how their team is doing, see how everyone is doing on the main lobby and what recent tranfer have been going on , etc... all of that is priceless. Also the design of the game all the different kinds of messages you receive about the players you are interested ( the ones where you find out the bids that other players are making on the player you are interested where my favorite), the fact that you could learn skills and develop yourself as a coach where another favorite of mine. And i could talk forever about the things i love about this game.

I would give anything to be able to play it again, the feeling was wonderful. Seeing another version of the game being released in other parts of the world like Koreea and China has given me the certainty that there are a lot of people that really want to play this game. But there is a huge amount of people that would want to play it from the rest of the world too, maybe even more so than the ones in China and Coreea. So please people from Sports Interactive, give use back the game that we all loved !

Edited by andre02

The fans of this game have made a new game (90 minutes fever).  I have it, but did not get that good feeling as i had to this game FMLive! So lets bring back Football Manager Live!

The revisionism when it comes to FML is baffling.  At the time it was good, enjoyable, but after the fact it's easy to see that it was a pretty limited and, a lot of the time, pretty tedious.  The first few weeks of a new gameworld were exciting, but then the faults the game had just led to it being a pretty crap experience as you played the AI again and again.  Sitting waiting for 9pm for AI rights to kick in just so you could actually do something in the game wasn't particularly fun.

It's dead, and it'll likely stay dead.  The statement of seeing how it did in Korea before looking at other territories just seemed like lip service.  Never say never, of course, but I'd be amazed if they dipped their toes in that water again.

2 hours ago, forameuss said:

The revisionism when it comes to FML is baffling.  At the time it was good, enjoyable, but after the fact it's easy to see that it was a pretty limited and, a lot of the time, pretty tedious.  The first few weeks of a new gameworld were exciting, but then the faults the game had just led to it being a pretty crap experience as you played the AI again and again.  Sitting waiting for 9pm for AI rights to kick in just so you could actually do something in the game wasn't particularly fun.

It's dead, and it'll likely stay dead.  The statement of seeing how it did in Korea before looking at other territories just seemed like lip service.  Never say never, of course, but I'd be amazed if they dipped their toes in that water again.

that's your opinion which of course you are entitled to have, and yes there were a lot of players who were disgruntled about the game, but there were al ot of players who loved the game, the game worlds the private league chat rooms, many friends were made in these rooms the community aspect of the game was better than the actual game but this is what made it quite enjoyable. The AI rights did work because the game wasn't tailored for the hardcore player and in general it was the hardcore player who had misgivings about the game. I loved logging on  when it suited me, having a potter about, play some games, buy some players or have a blether with who was in chat log off.   The thing is i played the game at my pace and how i wanted to do it.  I wouldn't be amazed if they dipped their toes in the water at all again

Edited by dogs

It was the best online football manager game by a mile and still is. Simply by the fact you could speak to other managers and negotiate transfers and smash the game world record which I did a few times. Youth systems, stadium development, certain teams had great academies, it was ace. I would happily pay more for this game and all it needed was tweaking to make it a success, it was so close at the end to being brilliant. I still keep in touch with some of the people I played against now, that's how strong the community was. The issue was everybody wanted to win, well that's life, you can't and I love bed the fact I had to come from the bottom or play a team as an underdog and still lose in the 90th minute. I loved it how people could watch the games and scout players.

it was simply brilliant and better than the offline version they produce today that is against AI.

Nothing has or will come close to it.

Edited by NashyUK

Pls bring it back. It was the best game ever. Better then the crappy fm they gave now... look how much games are f2p with micro transactions. PLEASEEEEEE

I am sure of that too, please SI ...give us our beloved game back, i can't understand why it's forbidden for the rest of the world, there are a lot more people living in the other countries than in China and Koreea.

the best version of football manager i ever played. Offline versione is boring,and SI continues to add things that never have to see with a great football manager game. I don't want interview whit the same boring question,i don't give a damn for the brexit,all i want is the interacting with other players, and the online version of FM 16,17,18 is too restricitve. Bring back FML!

I agree that it's been the best game to bear the FM name, by a long, long stretch.

No rose-tinted glasses here- even at the very end when the GWs were dying, the community it built led to it being a massive time sink, and regardless of the faults that the game had, people used the tools that were there in game to make hours upon hours of entertainment. Some of the concepts that were in there, such as play style dictating supporter types and establishment of overseas academies, are long overdue for the main game.

Keane and Valderrama FTW.

14 hours ago, dogs said:

that's your opinion which of course you are entitled to have, and yes there were a lot of players who were disgruntled about the game, but there were al ot of players who loved the game, the game worlds the private league chat rooms, many friends were made in these rooms the community aspect of the game was better than the actual game but this is what made it quite enjoyable. The AI rights did work because the game wasn't tailored for the hardcore player and in general it was the hardcore player who had misgivings about the game. I loved logging on  when it suited me, having a potter about, play some games, buy some players or have a blether with who was in chat log off.   The thing is i played the game at my pace and how i wanted to do it.  I wouldn't be amazed if they dipped their toes in the water at all again

Let's be honest, if there really was a lot of players who enjoyed FML it would never have been cancelled but that's what happened because after the initial interest & excitement the majority cancelled their subscriptions to the point that the game was operating at a loss.

I doubt SI will ever venture back into the market outside of the Asia based FMO as there is little to suggest that there is sufficient appetite for this style of football management game to run at a profit. 

14 hours ago, dogs said:

I didn't say it was a bad game - specifically said that I enjoyed it when it was there.  But now that it's gone, looking back it was only really busy and interesting for the first few weeks.  In mature gameworlds you were paying a fiver a month (was that what it was?  Can't remember) just to essentially play a less featured FM.  In the final few months I went weeks without playing a human manager.  Just log on in the evening, play your assigned matches against teams whose managers had long since abandoned the game and then wait until the next day to do the same.  Want to sign a player?  Well, unless he's playing at a club whose manager is still around, you're stuffed.  I modded in 2 gameworlds and after persuading SI to let us try organising a World Cup in those, we spent ages getting everything sorted out.  The  best players remained unassigned because they were sitting at clubs essentially locked away by cancelled managers.  It was a deeply, deeply flawed game.

The most fun the game had was in the final few days when one of the mods went rogue and locked all the other mods out of the gameworld.  

9 minutes ago, Barside said:

Let's be honest, if there really was a lot of players who enjoyed FML it would never have been cancelled but that's what happened because after the initial interest & excitement the majority cancelled their subscriptions to the point that the game was operating at a loss.

I doubt SI will ever venture back into the market outside of the Asia based FMO as there is little to suggest that there is sufficient appetite for this style of football management game to run at a profit. 

This.  For all that people are waxing lyrical about it in this thread, it clearly didn't have enough people waxing lyrical about it to keep it alive.

MMOs are struggling generally, very few are currently profitable. It's unlikely FM Live would have enough subscribers to be worthwhile.

18 hours ago, forameuss said:

I didn't say it was a bad game - specifically said that I enjoyed it when it was there.  But now that it's gone, looking back it was only really busy and interesting for the first few weeks.  In mature gameworlds you were paying a fiver a month (was that what it was?  Can't remember) just to essentially play a less featured FM.  In the final few months I went weeks without playing a human manager.  Just log on in the evening, play your assigned matches against teams whose managers had long since abandoned the game and then wait until the next day to do the same.  Want to sign a player?  Well, unless he's playing at a club whose manager is still around, you're stuffed.  I modded in 2 gameworlds and after persuading SI to let us try organising a World Cup in those, we spent ages getting everything sorted out.  The  best players remained unassigned because they were sitting at clubs essentially locked away by cancelled managers.  It was a deeply, deeply flawed game.

I'm pretty sure FML was the beta-test for the ticker thing that logs the events in the match
I didn't mind it as a open beta test for potential new developments (like the above ticker), but for actual gameplay it was pretty poor

IF (and I don't think it'll happen) SI bought it back, then I can see it as pretty much a "this is what we're planning for future FMs, let's get some real world play testing on it" rather than a FM simulator
so SI can have feedback on things that they're unsure about (building an academy in a new nation? - maybe a pure DoF mode) before it gets hastily released into a new FM and bug-ridden for the first year or so

are SI willing to basically create a beta FM with "new features" being privately released before a new FM - no
but it's nice to think about

-----

I still think it should be an option where the clubs are frozen as of May (ie when the European season finishes) and then patch it with a "summer transfers" and the a "winter transfers"
which you could test out in this scenario (so Chelsea still have the likes of Matic/Costa)

you can then step literally into Conte's shoes, and choose whether to:
- sign Bakayoko/Morata (as they did IRL)
- keep Matic/Costa and not change much
- pursue other players, as you do normally

Edited by samdiatmh

Why would they do that when FML was a completely different game?  Not a particularly good test bed.  For beta testing FM they could just...use a beta test of FM.  Which they do anyway.