Youth/Reserves Manager

dunner

I think it's getting to a stage in the game where coming up with innovative additions to an already excellent game is very difficult but what if the game added more levels of progression for us would be managers?? 

As it stands, you can start unemployed and work your way up from there to world domination which is an enjoyable and challenging route or perhaps you can choose the "Sleeping Giant" type scenario.

There's many scenarios that appeal to us players to put us in the mood to start a new game all over again and progress from there but to date the one that has never been implemented is the underage coach promoted from within the ranks scenario or the "Pep Guardiola Scenario" if you want a high profile example of proving it happens. 

You should be able to work within a clubs overall vision, if the first team manager wants his youngsters playing an attacking brand of football? You sure as hell better meet that criteria. 

First team manager has an injury crisis and drafts in your top scorer? Tough! Your job is to create players good enough and ready for the first team, you've done your job!

It could open up a lot of new and exciting interaction between backroom staff. Examples that spring to mind off the bat include:

First team Manager could ask for your recommendations for player promotions to first team

It could open discussions about whether a player might be better off going out on loan to get first team football or if he's better staying and playing under you, the reserve/underage manager

The manager could ask that you handle the gametime of certain first team squad members and ensure they get certain amount of minutes to keep them sharp. 

Choosing which club you want to become the youth/reserve manager of is obviously up to you BUT choosing the likes of a Man City will mean you're more than likely going to have a squad of good yiungsters to deal with but your chances of taking the actual hot seat are minimal as their chairman always hires proven top managers but find yourself a chairman who gives you a chance within the right framework? Bingo you're sorted! 

Its a rough idea and obviously open to enhancement but I honestly see this as a major new and fresh approach to the game. 

What do you all think?

I like it - makes complete sense and would be a nice challenge and new dimension to your development as a manager. Furthermore, I would add:

• You get caretaker opportunities if the manager gets sacked.
  • You interview for the job if available like normal (or perhaps the board may just have a lot of faith in you and offer the job)
  • This works 2 ways: i.e. if you are the manager, I would want to be able to approach my youth managers and ask their opinion on first team readiness (you might argue this happens already); ask them to try players in specific positions (i.e. if retraining youngsters, I don't think they get opportunities in that position unless it's part of the formation, e.g. I'm training a youth player to be a DM but I primarily play 4231 so therefore, so do my u20s); I'd want them to be able to pick from any of the tactics that that I have trained rather than using the tactic I use at that time. I know this is a setting but I don't want them using their own tactics personally but don't like the lack of flexibility they have - they should be able to pick a formation for the occasion. Which leads me to my next point:
  • As the youth manager, you either get complete freedom or as you say, you are prescribed a philosophy by the club or first team manager.
  • You can request the club/manager to bring in players to balance your squad. (I know Man Utd loaned a Bolton youth player when they loaned Saidy Janko to Bolton to ensure the reserves had a balanced team)
  • You have the same interactions with the reserve or youth manager, whichever you are, i.e. if you manage the reserves, you can go to the youth manager to ask for a player etc.
  • You can be promoted from youth manager to reserve manager
  • Depending on how much power you have in the role, you can make suggestions and/or recruit youth level staff.
  • If youth manager, you play a big role in the youth intake suggestions, depending on what responsibility is entrusted to you.

I think this idea has a lot of legs!

I just thought of one more! :)

If the club appoints a new manager, as ever, you might find yourself out with the previous regime or perhaps the manager you worked with previously might want to take you with them to a new club or naturally you would still have the option to resign if you didn't like the new regime.

This is an idea that SI has heard many times and at this time Miles said they're not planning to implement this in the future but it's obviously the next big thing to implement to the series.

The whole idea of starting really low and climbing your way to the top is fantastic. I see it as an ideal option for no-name managers to get their first courses, licenses, improving their stats. I imagine that while working at this level you'd get offers from some lower league teams, but as a caretaker maybe you'd like to be an opportunist and make a massive leap into the real world of football? ;)

Miles' stance on this is really surprising to me as this type of game would really showcase some of the fewer used or underused features of the game. Prime example in my opinion would be interviews, from my experience when you're taking over a club (nearly any club) even if you're a total nobody, the club isn't really demanding on the philisophy, tasks and goals to achieve (other than the place in league) And it shouldn't be really. I doubt that real life managers always need to focus on playing youngsters etc

But as a reserve / youth manager? That's a whole new level! You're not the boss of the team, you're just another staff member. You are not that pressed on winning games etc (as the main manager is) but you are a worker - you're judged by how well the players develop, if they are fit and ready for the eventual first team, how well do you pick their training routines. In that way, in the interview for the reserve manager job you're not the one dealing cards and asking for stuff from the chairman. You're up against the wall with obligations, philosphies, demands etc. That's a challenge and a somewhat new way of playing the game.

I guess the U-18 manager bit is a bit harder to design. After all we only get players generated at one day and that's all. But I'd imagine it could also be well implemented - more focus on the league (bigger then the reserves team, smaller than the senior team) big big focus on the development of youth players. Also, maybe an ability to suggest and poach great talents, which at this stage are quite unpredictable. This job could also bring new demands from your employers - have / produce and x stars potential player / a future first team player, develop player x into the reserve level in 2 years, produce players for that position, etc. Also, I think that this job would really benefit if the regen academies were to be ever implemented.

Overall, this is a great great feature and I think it's rather a matter of time when SI will crack and turn their sight into this, as this adds a great depth to a game that already covered pracitcally everything they could.

I'd go as far and say that the introduction of these two jobs could even be the only big features added in a single installment and - if implemented properly - would be justified as it adds so much to the game.

As of late SI seemed to really focus on "player's histories" that the game creates through it's mechanics (SI mentioned it while introducing dynamic rivalries f.e.) - so what is a bigger history making mechanic than an option to start literally from the very bottom?

• 2 weeks later...

The whole point of Football Manager is simulation of real life manager right? Starting as youth/reserves manager is most realistic start. Sometimes I dislike when I see myself in big club and I'm debuting as manager there. Even if it's LLM club it's still weird, youth/reserves manager is a perfect start of manager's career I don't understand why SI wouldn't want this implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

brilliant idea. love the idea of starting unemployed, perhaps starting at very low level with hope of getting approached by a high rep team as youth team/reserve team manager to slowly build your career and work your way up the ladder.

it would also be great to build a relationship with the club that perhaps you could go back to one day.

example:

start unemployed, become manager of a conference south team, perhaps after few seasons gain a promotion or two.

get approached by say a championship or low Prem team as youth team manager. do well there and move onto an actual championship club or league 1 club as manager.

bit more success and perhaps even return to the prem club one day as first team manager. also good chance alot of those youth team players you nurtured and built relationships with could be 1st team players and would instantly take a like to you

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, you can do this with reserve teams in Germany. I've started my career unemployed, hired by Mainz 05 II (3. Liga) and then moved to Dortmund: 

It would be nice to do this with traditional reserve teams and U19 teams (e.g. start with FC Thun U21 like Martin Schmidt did :))

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 17:28, Dohyl said:

The whole point of Football Manager is simulation of real life manager right? Starting as youth/reserves manager is most realistic start. Sometimes I dislike when I see myself in big club and I'm debuting as manager there. Even if it's LLM club it's still weird, youth/reserves manager is a perfect start of manager's career I don't understand why SI wouldn't want this implemented.

Agree with all the things mentioned and really Si could start this process of as allowing to be an Assistant manager, then over a course of yeras slowly allow youth manager option. Hell make as a separate DLC for those interested and the $$ from this can be put into developing the function more.

On 10/17/2017 at 00:08, brucemclaren said:

It would be nice to do this with traditional reserve teams and U19 teams (e.g. start with FC Thun U21 like Martin Schmidt did :))

Especially as something similar is already in game as National U20, U19 managers etc. I've been able to go from An England U21 manager to the England boss in previous saves.

On 09/09/2017 at 14:54, dunner said:

I think it's getting to a stage in the game where coming up with innovative additions to an already excellent game is very difficult but what if the game added more levels of progression for us would be managers?? 

As it stands, you can start unemployed and work your way up from there to world domination which is an enjoyable and challenging route or perhaps you can choose the "Sleeping Giant" type scenario.

There's many scenarios that appeal to us players to put us in the mood to start a new game all over again and progress from there but to date the one that has never been implemented is the underage coach promoted from within the ranks scenario or the "Pep Guardiola Scenario" if you want a high profile example of proving it happens. 

You should be able to work within a clubs overall vision, if the first team manager wants his youngsters playing an attacking brand of football? You sure as hell better meet that criteria. 

First team manager has an injury crisis and drafts in your top scorer? Tough! Your job is to create players good enough and ready for the first team, you've done your job!

It could open up a lot of new and exciting interaction between backroom staff. Examples that spring to mind off the bat include:

First team Manager could ask for your recommendations for player promotions to first team

It could open discussions about whether a player might be better off going out on loan to get first team football or if he's better staying and playing under you, the reserve/underage manager

The manager could ask that you handle the gametime of certain first team squad members and ensure they get certain amount of minutes to keep them sharp. 

Choosing which club you want to become the youth/reserve manager of is obviously up to you BUT choosing the likes of a Man City will mean you're more than likely going to have a squad of good yiungsters to deal with but your chances of taking the actual hot seat are minimal as their chairman always hires proven top managers but find yourself a chairman who gives you a chance within the right framework? Bingo you're sorted! 

Its a rough idea and obviously open to enhancement but I honestly see this as a major new and fresh approach to the game. 

What do you all think?

Completely agree with you! Been saying this for years!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived