How can i get older FM Steam keys?

Impossible I'm afraid. Sega aren't able to sell old versions due to licensing reasons and if you buy a pre-owned copy it will likely have already been used.

It's part of the reason some of us were seriously unhappy that they made Steam compulsory, but unfortunately everyone else seems to love not having a choice any more :(

About the only way you'd be able to get old copies is to buy the boxed versions, though if buying a pre-owned copy you'll need to make sure in the description that the steam key is unused. However I don't think there is anyway to get FM08 onto steam as the boxed copies from back them didn't activate on steam, I think FM10 was the first one after the activation day mess on FM09's release.

I don't think us old hands love not having a choice but I expect piracy was one of the reasons revenue got protected

I recall many old posts of people complaining about bizarre anomalies in their game - it turned out that these were a direct result of piracy due to an in built recognition within the game. I loved the formal responses and the closure of their SI accounts

16 hours ago, MrPompey said:

I don't think us old hands love not having a choice but I expect piracy was one of the reasons revenue got protected

I recall many old posts of people complaining about bizarre anomalies in their game - it turned out that these were a direct result of piracy due to an in built recognition within the game. I loved the formal responses and the closure of their SI accounts

Dare I point out the irony that this anti-piracy measure has left people with only one way to play the older titles... :lol:

6 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Dare I point out the irony that this anti-piracy measure has left people with only one way to play the older titles... :lol:

If they bought it when it was current it will be in their Steam library to install & play anytime they want.

1 minute ago, Cougar2010 said:

If they bought it when it was current it will be in their Steam library to install & play anytime they want.

But plenty of people won't have done, and would like to buy an old version - for instance, to play with an old squad they're particularly fond of. Look at the number of people who played CM01/02 for instance years after its release. This makes it impossible to do so without piracy.

Just now, Spurs08 said:

But plenty of people won't have done, and would like to buy an old version - for instance, to play with an old squad they're particularly fond of. Look at the number of people who played CM01/02 for instance years after its release. This makes it impossible to do so without piracy.

Why not? how many people seriously buy an old version of a game that is updated every year.  All those people that played CM01/02 and other older versions for years after release also probably bought it when it was current.

We know that the licences that SI buy probably restrict the sale/development of the product to the season the licence refers to.

If you have an original pre steam version then it will have the installation key on the manual in the DVD box. If its second hand then providing it was uninstalled before sale then its likely you can just enter the key during your installation

@Cougar2010 - Not sure there is any irony. If you have the original then you have the key and can install it. If you have a 2nd hand copy providing the original installation was removed then you can install it elsewhere. There is no need for piracy is there?

4 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

If you have an original pre steam version then it will have the installation key on the manual in the DVD box. If its second hand then providing it was uninstalled before sale then its likely you can just enter the key during your installation

@Cougar2010 - Not sure there is any irony. If you have the original then you have the key and can install it. If you have a 2nd hand copy providing the original installation was removed then you can install it elsewhere. There is no need for piracy is there?

Think you misunderstood my post or I've misunderstood yours but we both agree there is no excuse for piracy.

@Cougar2010 - sorry, thats my fault - I meant to aim that at Spurs08 in response to Post 5 - my mistake and yes 100% agree. The point I was trying to make to him is that you can buy and install an old boxed version and use the original key providing its not already in use

6 hours ago, MrPompey said:

For older versions there isn't even any key to enter - you just need to have the DVD in your disk drive (though playing these on modern Windows might be a problem as Microsoft stopped some of the copy protection systems from working). FM09 was the only one where you needed (or could) deactivate the game after installing, however this could be done by whoever had the key, though with Uniloc gone I think SI removed the protection in one of the patches.

However for any versions that included a steam key once that key has been activated it cannot be deactivated, though FM10 and FM11 (not sure about FM12?) steam was optional so those versions can still use the disk if the steam key has been used, but any after that I'd stay clear of second hand copies as they are useless unless they clearly state the steam key is unused.

Archived