Fix the game, please!! (I can no longer enjoy it, and it makes me sad)

Muja

@HUNT3R I was expecting an answer about if the game is broken and you just found a way to pass above the ME bugs. Or if the TC just have no sense? 

In both case the game should be fixed, it's a shame it is not already and FM18 can't be released in this state.

I really don't care what my manager should wear and I also don't care about those tweets if the football part of the game is broken. As somebody said before, its FOOTBALL Manager, not MEDIA Manager. 

FM17 didn't needed any new features, it needed bugs fix & existing features improvement. That's what FM18 needs too. 

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ferrarinseb said:

For me i dont have much knowledge of the game only FM 16 and 17 are the ones i played which i played over 2000 Hrs in combined versions. I feel that many are still struggling due to lack of Tactical knowledge and information of what does

Yes, but this we all agree on. You don't need more tactical freedom for this. They're separate things. What you do need (and it comes across in your post) is clarity on what you're actually instructing, both with what changes when you change Mentality and also TIs. We all agree here that more clarity is absolutely needed.

2 hours ago, reiiz said:

@HUNT3R I was expecting an answer about if the game is broken and you just found a way to pass above the ME bugs. Or if the TC just have no sense? 

Then you didn't understand anything that was posted. The TC at the moment isn't clear enough in explaining what tactical instructions mean. That's it, in a nutshell.

ME bugs were never mentioned or it certainly wasn't in the OP, so not sure what you're referring to here.

FM really needs an overhaul of its AI system. I find it every single new FM too easy to either buy all the good young players or to create an unbeatable tactic the AI can't cope with.

If they can't create an AI so good to be close to the user at least let us import to the AI somehow all the user tactics so the AI can use them

9 minutes ago, andu1 said:

FM really needs an overhaul of its AI system. I find it every single new FM too easy to either buy all the good young players or to create an unbeatable tactic the AI can't cope with.

If they can't create an AI so good to be close to the user at least let us import to the AI somehow all the user tactics so the AI can use them

And then ironically that'll probably be the time most people switch off.  Far more people complain about the game being too difficult than too easy - if the AI improves even a few steps, most will simply switch off.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Yes, but this we all agree on. You don't need more tactical freedom for this. They're separate things. What you do need (and it comes across in your post) is clarity on what you're actually instructing, both with what changes when you change Mentality and also TIs. We all agree here that more clarity is absolutely needed.

I think i slightly poorly worded about more tactical freedom. I'm speaking that in sense of having some free roles that would give us a bit more freedom to get a bit more understanding other than that i agree with what you are saying. we need to know what it is going on slightly better 

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

And then ironically that'll probably be the time most people switch off.  Far more people complain about the game being too difficult than too easy - if the AI improves even a few steps, most will simply switch off.

this is a simulator and it should simulate real life football. it's not easy to be a football manager and the game should reflect it as accurately as possible

2 minutes ago, andu1 said:

this is a simulator and it should simulate real life football. it's not easy to be a football manager and the game should reflect it as accurately as possible

Fair enough, but doesn't make what I said any less true.  If the AI improves too much, and it starts being able to think like a human, vast swathes of people will either end up spending their time complaining (more than they already do) or just not playing altogether.  There will be no fun in getting cuffed every game for them.

That's the balancing act, leaving aside what you said.

2 hours ago, andu1 said:

This will unbalance the game world completely. Which managers may use that formation? All of them? Will they all choose to use it or just some? It'll also cause AI managers to use tactics that have nothing to do with their profile/who they are.

If anything, this will take the game further from realism.

As it is, AI managers think. They use their own tactics based on their own tendencies and the players available to them. I'm sure this is what we all want, no? A living, breathing game world, filled with an AI that can think for itself and make decisions.

On 7/9/2017 at 17:38, HUNT3R said:

The same bug you thought was in FM16 too, when you had that poor tactical setup?

If you want help on the game, the tactical forum is there. It seems like you tried to be too attacking with a poor setup, because your shots to shots on target ratio is extremely poor.

There are plenty of people who go on big winning runs, so it's not the game.

It's true, in FM16 it was worse with Southampton and I had only real life world class players. Such as Griezmann, De Bruyne, Isco etc. But with Southampton I won the Premier on my first season without any world class player. So I guess I can do something right and I don't want you to agree of course.

Maybe I do have a poor tactical setup or maybe I don't. Or maybe the opponent have such a brilliant setup that gives them the opportuntity to shoot one and score one while concede almost nothing from open play (I scored a penalty). Football is simple bro, that's all I am trying to say here and FM gets Pepe'd more and more every year.

Fresh update for you guys..and they are disturbing!

Arsenal v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

Man City v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

On 7/9/2017 at 17:42, herne79 said:

Just like real life.  Except this season where we can't play away either :rolleyes:.

Anyway, are you really doing that badly if you have the likes of Alaba, Odegaard, Casemiro, Rulli etc in your side?  Unlikely that such high profile players would join a struggling team.

But as ever, if you or anyone have specific tactical issues you should head over to the Tactics & Training forum.

Again no, not necessarily.  But I'm repeating myself because you're either not listening, understanding or just dismissing.  I'll bow out here.

No, I am not doing bad at all. I win a lot actually. Is just that I tried a lot of things and I feel like I am using an i-phone. Like you tell them to work ball into box and they just stop shooting like I am going to kill them if they do and when you untick it they just start banging 25 meter bullets which they end garbage.

I can understand that sometimes no matter what you do you will lose. Because this is football and I love it.

15 minutes ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

It's true, in FM16 it was worse with Southampton and I had only real life world class players. Such as Griezmann, De Bruyne, Isco etc. But with Southampton I won the Premier on my first season without any world class player. So I guess I can do something right and I don't want you to agree of course.

Maybe I do have a poor tactical setup or maybe I don't. Or maybe the opponent have such a brilliant setup that gives them the opportuntity to shoot one and score one while concede almost nothing from open play (I scored a penalty). Football is simple bro, that's all I am trying to say here and FM gets Pepe'd more and more every year.

Fresh update for you guys..and they are disturbing!

Arsenal v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

Man City v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

You've not shown anything "disturbing" though. The team with the most shots or most possession doesn't always win. This is true for FM and real life. That's all that can be said here.

Just now, AngelMatrix23 said:

Just a quick one..are you a fan of Simeone's Atletico?

Dortmund last night... 67% possession and got beat 3-1 could have been a lot more, Spurs were clean through every time they won the ball.

You have a low shot on target conversion... keeping the ball and smashing long shots vs a packed defence is an awful way to play.

2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Dortmund last night... 67% possession and got beat 3-1 could have been a lot more, Spurs were clean through every time they won the ball.

You have a low shot on target conversion... keeping the ball and smashing long shots vs a packed defence is an awful way to play.

That's true.

5 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Look, I am a fan of shoot little score more, don't care about possesion (I am good with 30%). I love having brave players and I hate losing battles. I am an admirer of Inter Milan with Mourinho in charge. Defend well, deep, but use the offside trap. Win balls high up the pitch and counter attack. Be lethat and concede nothing. But it'simpossible to go like that in FM, it simply does not work with me or I can't seem to find the way to do it.

On 9/12/2017 at 11:12, HUNT3R said:

What you do need (and it comes across in your post) is clarity on what you're actually instructing, both with what changes when you change Mentality and also TIs. We all agree here that more clarity is absolutely needed.

Hunt3r, I've been off the forums for a while, not bought a version since FM15, and it frustrates me on your behalf to see that you and other Mods are still answering this issue- I know I can scroll back through my comment history and find discussions you and I had previously about the very same topic a good two years ago. It's saddening that it's an area of the game that doesn't appear to have had much forward movement in the mean time.

Nevertheless, just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for taking the time to do so.

1 minute ago, Lawlore said:

Hunt3r, I've been off the forums for a while, not bought a version since FM15, and it frustrates me on your behalf to see that you and other Mods are still answering this issue- I know I can scroll back through my comment history and find discussions you and I had previously about the very same topic a good two years ago. It's saddening that it's an area of the game that doesn't appear to have had much forward movement in the mean time.

Nevertheless, just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for taking the time to do so.

Yeah, don't think because we're mods, we have to defend everything. That's far from it. While there is a lack of clarity in TIs etc, we do what we can to spread the knowledge we have. Forum regulars help too.

At the same time though (and I think I mentioned it in the thread) there's also the challenge of 1) finding the best way to present info (TIs and Mentality) clearer but also 2) presenting it in a consistent way for users on PC, Mac, Linux and tablets across FM and FMT, high or low resolutions etc.

28 minutes ago, Lawlore said:

I'm sorry for this little off-topic.

Hi Lawlore! Everytime I read you posting I think about FML and Keane gameworld (River Medway Riot if I remember correctly).

I Hope you're well!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

Look, I am a fan of shoot little score more, don't care about possesion (I am good with 30%). I love having brave players and I hate losing battles. I am an admirer of Inter Milan with Mourinho in charge. Defend well, deep, but use the offside trap. Win balls high up the pitch and counter attack. Be lethat and concede nothing. But it'simpossible to go like that in FM, it simply does not work with me or I can't seem to find the way to do it.

Seriously? When the game first came out I thought I was the worlds best FM player because I was being underdog teams and winning easily just by playing out of the box defensive tactics on counter mentality (i.e. 4141) and winning away to the best teams in the league

I found it harder, until I really put the effort in, to win with the best teams.

On 12/09/2017 at 13:32, andu1 said:

You wouldn't get any job if you want it that closely. Unless of course you are inundated with offers. The game is never real, and verges off reality the second you hit the spacebar. It's a game.

2 hours ago, Federico said:

I'm sorry for this little off-topic.

Hi Lawlore! Everytime I read you posting I think about FML and Keane gameworld (River Medway Riot if I remember correctly).

I Hope you're well!

Cheers!

Hey Fed, good to see you! Keeping good man, hope all's well on your side of things. Still got my fingers crossed for that FML revival- River Medway Riot would be first to sign up. :)

On 7/9/2017 at 17:38, HUNT3R said:

The same bug you thought was in FM16 too, when you had that poor tactical setup?

If you want help on the game, the tactical forum is there. It seems like you tried to be too attacking with a poor setup, because your shots to shots on target ratio is extremely poor.

There are plenty of people who go on big winning runs, so it's not the game.

I try to change tactics, make my team defend better and avoid single shot goals. Nothing so far, it just keeps on happening.

10 shots off target, 5 off target, 2 crossbars and 3 blocked while 7 came from inside the box. 9 saves while 6 came from inside the box. 13 shots inside the box. They shoot 1 they score 1.

Of courde I don't expect you to admit it, but it's a fact.

Also I give you the fabulous Pedro Gallese! Shortlisted!

West Brom v West Ham_ Analysis Teams.png

West Brom v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

West Brom v West Ham_ Analysis Teams-2.png

Pedro Gallese_ Overview Profile.png

12 minutes ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

I try to change tactics, make my team defend better and avoid single shot goals. Nothing so far, it just keeps on happening.

10 shots off target, 5 off target, 2 crossbars and 3 blocked while 7 came from inside the box. 9 saves while 6 came from inside the box. 13 shots inside the box. They shoot 1 they score 1.

Of courde I don't expect you to admit it, but it's a fact.

Also I give you the fabulous Pedro Gallese! Shortlisted!

West Brom v West Ham_ Analysis Teams.png

West Brom v West Ham_ Overview Overview.png

West Brom v West Ham_ Analysis Teams-2.png

Pedro Gallese_ Overview Profile.png

You're still not showing much. You're not showing the quality of those chances or your actual setup. These also seem to be random matches and as has been said a few times now - the team with the most shots and/or most possession doesn't always win.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You're still not showing much. You're not showing the quality of those chances or your actual setup. These also seem to be random matches and as has been said a few times now - the team with the most shots and/or most possession doesn't always win.

So, West Brom's chance was a top drawer!

Just now, AngelMatrix23 said:

So, West Brom's chance was a top drawer!

No idea. Instead of arguing like you are, rather post information and facts that we can see. At the moment, there's very little to go on.

5 minutes ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

Look, I really need your notes here. What you need me to post?

2 posts up?

We need to at least know how you set up, because for you it seems like it may be a regular issue, although you post random matches, so we don't know how often this happens for you. Did you notice issues in the match? Did you try and do anything about it? What did you do, if anything? If my striker has an off day, I sub him. If he's not getting space, I make changes to try and get him into space. If I need a goal, I put more pressure on the opposition. Did you do anything?

We also need to know what the actual shot quality was. You show that some shots were inside the box, some were blocked, but it doesn't show anything else. We can't see if it was the player's favoured foot, if it was rushed, if there were 22 defenders around him, etc. Maybe a video or PKM would help for this.

Just now, The Gaffer101 said:

Biggest problem is the AI works out your tactic  far too quickly sometimes you can be changing system three times a season which is  a bit annoying

It doesn't do this though. Have you read the thread at all? This was covered. The AI generally sets up more defensive or attacking depending on your team's reputation and form. As with most of us, if you do very well and over-achieve, they're suddenly going to obviously treat you as a much bigger threat than originally thought. Nothing tactic specific. Whether your tactic can handle a team playing more defensive, is the question. My own system has been in use for 4 seasons without issue.

3 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

It doesn't do this though. Have you read the thread at all? This was covered. The AI generally sets up more defensive or attacking depending on your team's reputation and form. As with most of us, if you do very well and over-achieve, they're suddenly going to obviously treat you as a much bigger threat than originally thought. Nothing tactic specific. Whether your tactic can handle a team playing more defensive, is the question. My own system has been in use for 4 seasons without issue.

I had a system that was top of Serie A beating the likes of Lazio,Roma and Milan was solid at the back all season then found myself on the end of a 5-1 defeat to Sampodoria drew with Bologna who are bottom of the league lost in europe suddenly the AI had found a way of beating me . The game can be very random mate you have to admit that?  But it is a lot better than 16 which was the worst FM to date.  

Just now, The Gaffer101 said:

I had a system that was top of Serie A beating the likes of Lazio,Roma and Milan was solid at the back all season then found myself on the end of a 5-1 defeat to Sampodoria drew with Bologna who are bottom of the league lost in europe suddenly the AI had found a way of beating me . The game can be very random mate you have to admit that?  But it is a lot better than 16 which was the worst FM to date.  

The game is very, very rarely "random". It can appear random, but that doesn't mean it is. You just don't know/see what the cause is.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2017 at 18:21, themadsheep2001 said:

Consider me out too, not sure why I was tagged into a conversation 24 hours we'd already established something

@noikeee, There's a lot there I agree with, and have done for some time.

The move from sliders was phenomenal, but the TC is nowhere near its true potential yet, its very good now, but it could be fundamentally brilliant. Hell, you could make changes to the TC alone each year for the next few years, and you'd fundamentally changing the game for the better each time. Maybe another discussion to be had post release of FM18, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

This was when I knew there were new tactical options coming in for the new game. :D So, anything extra you wanna share that we didn't see in today's video eh? :D ;) 

Read a bit of this thread (not all of it) but I have to say the OP made some good points throughout.  Not all I agree with but some I can relate to and sympathise with.

Would be interesting to see some completely neutral roles across all of the pitch, literally roles with everything (in slider parlance) set down the middle and a full range of options to turn on and off.  I suspect one of three things will happen.

1. Players will come up with some interesting combination of instructions that fail spectacularly

2. Players will come up with some interesting combination of instructions that succeed and maybe we'll discover some new roles introduced in the TC

3. Players will tweak away and end up creating the roles that already exist :)

Would be interesting 

I'm sure there's a few good points made. I missed this and just wanted to say the last two pages just made my eyes bleed though. :D It's like GarryWHUFC / Hammer1000 all over. Hands up who gets the reference!! Hard to not making the connection with rows of endless random, non-telling final match stats in which West Ham supposedly are getting done by ill luck -- but when the matches were uploaded, that Hammers that tried to Hammer their opponents apparently tried it with a load of poop, hoping and praying the sheer volumes of poop to do the trick.  :p

But yeah, missing feedback, and all that. It's oft a challenge even in real football to somewhat "objectively" judge who had the better chances in a match, even for ex pros and forwards. In a more limited / more abstract simulation it can be a bit harder, even more subjective due to the simulation itself being somebody's interpretation. And either way, no real manager and his technical staff relies purely on such simplistic stats anymore (though no doubt many do out of keeping things "old school"). Still, even if those Hammers had a few better shots, if this happens a couple times, totally non-issue. That's football, or Barcelona / Real would never lose a match. The reason for if you're never making opponents missing equally as many shots is that you've never even tried to focus on keeping things tight.

Given that the user's last tactic involved a 4-3-3 3 forwards going  narrow with every player squeezed into the opposition half, which visibly compresses play against deep defenses and rushes players into shots as well as defenders oft getting a foot into play, such stats on occasion would be no surprise. Now for a serious debate, should the game spoon feed this? Or is it enough for an assistant to hint at things. Given the generally success (winning the Prem with Southampton first season), I'd argue it's a minor issue still though, and what enigmatic posted also rings true (quality post).  Still it can still be frustrating, but no more than what football managers may face. Of course, they may look for solutions to at least attempt avoid a few of those, whilst the game assumes a few things, or for you to work things out yourself, or ask around in forums. If you're neither given the tools to work out that there may be something not ideal, plus info on how to use them, that's either way not very good tho. I'm still not sure where SI actually stand on this. Plus evidently, it's always been also a slightly ME issue that you can dominate all stats (up to 60 shots, 20 on target) without ever creating much quality.

On 15/09/2017 at 12:49, HUNT3R said:

The game is very, very rarely "random". It can appear random, but that doesn't mean it is. You just don't know/see what the cause is.

Think the biggest problem is they are trying so hard to make the game more realistic its gone the other way and become unrealistic it is harder to be a bigger club on this years version.

13 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

Think the biggest problem is they are trying so hard to make the game more realistic its gone the other way and become unrealistic it is harder to be a bigger club on this years version.

It's not become more unrealistic, it's because the more realistic it gets, the more's people's expectations of it to exactly mirror real life rises, leading it to appear more unrealistic. 

But it's not. 

13 hours ago, The Gaffer101 said:

Why is that so unrealistic?  There's no real sliding scale of difficultly proportional to how big a club is, each have their own challenges.  The bigger the club, the higher the expectations, and it isn't always going to make for an easy game.

Guest El Payaso

I haven't read the whole thread (yet) but I agree on the OP that the tactics system on some ways is limiting. Like for example I have for the last couple of iterations ran into a problem that I might have in my team a wide player (winger) that otherwise is good but has low dribbling and I would like him to dribble less because of that and with the winger role there isn't an option to do it. And this isn't the only position/role that has these limitations. A good thing would be that on every position we would have a generic role that we can build ourselves by having all the instructions available. 

Also in terms of tactics I feel that the system is limited because in my opinion the general statistics for players look too much similar with totally different type of systems. The same position players are having same average ratings and players from same positions are getting most of the goals and assists. Not in every team the AM or wide players are the players with highest amount of assists and not every team has a profilic goal scorer. On some teams the CM or DM might be the one with highest amount of assists, depending on the style of play and the quality of players that you have. And in terms of goals you might have a striker scoring two goals in 34 games while the BBM might score 10-15 goals from midfield, again depending on style of play and quality of players. 

In real life Neuer was fighting for Ballon d'Or as a sweeper keeper and Kanté was the player of the season in the Premier league as a BBM/BWM and often the player of the season for single teams can be a full back, centre back and even a goalkeeper or DM who in the game have really statistic AVR. If your team is not dominating the league and matches then the DM and goalkeeper will always record 6.7-7.0 in terms of rating. These ratings should variate more in terms of player quality style of play. And as these ratings are counted based on stats I feel that the tactics system is also to blame on the lack of variation. 

In my opinion the ME isn't representing different style of plays or qualities of players well. I don't know if this is the case anymore but in previous versions you could even play a goalkeeper as an outfield player successfully which for me is an indication that CA is more important than certain attributes and qualities. Should test the goalkeeper thing again when the new version arrives.

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

In my opinion the ME isn't representing different style of plays or qualities of players well. I don't know if this is the case anymore but in previous versions you could even play a goalkeeper as an outfield player successfully which for me is an indication that CA is more important than certain attributes and qualities. Should test the goalkeeper thing again when the new version arrives.

Even long-term? Sounds like the current "Bug?" which makes keepers better penalty takers (not sure if true, haven't tried that out). Yah, it's a bit generalized. Basically, on FM, better attributes mean on average guys make more successfully attempts of x. A fast paced winger will complete many more successful dribbles, a better header will compete much more headers (depends on the position too naturally, but the seasonal gap can vary between 30%ish successfully headers and 80%+). And so on. For the individual traits and styles of players, arguably, that is where the player prefered moves kick in, which should be much more varied.

Btw, I do such extreme tests oftenly too, not quite the same, but this was FM 2013ish (I got Bayern to underperform similar on FM 2009 or so). Also, I don't think you'd be as high up the tables if that one guy you let 10 players hoof the ball to wouldn't have been Messi (or shall we say his combination of attributes that makes him skin guys with some added easy even when left alone in the cold). :D I had another one stored as far back as FM 2010ish where I edited aged former international defenders (35+) lacking pace into the German 3rd tier of football, where their purely "ability" would dwarf the average defender. Coupled with letting them defend in a high-line, they were beat by easy balls over the top all over, and the side struggled. I think it would be fairly easy to introduce big penalties when players are simply played out of their natural position..... I mean even Fifa Manager / On The Ball did it, to the extent that they basically had half their "overall strength" anymore, but then guys turning into half the footballers purely by being played out of their position doesn't sound particularly realistic. I may get it wrong, but to me in FM's system the way to go about adding traits to players would be introducing more PPMs... unfortunately a few were actually taken out since. :( Good point about the ratings too. I've never been a ratings guy as this will be always purely Maths though, and how SI weight actions is wholly up to them [in real football too, this tends to be a bit subjective, and ratings vary all over the place depending where you go -- plus, Neuer is an exception, as attacking players tend to be rated higher than defensive ones. Them scoring and assisting the only points that eventually count in football, even though football isn't purely about those, makes any such awards totally biased affairs -- I'd be really interested in an award handed out by Opta analyssts et all to the actually "most valuable" players :D ]

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Why is that so unrealistic?  There's no real sliding scale of difficultly proportional to how big a club is, each have their own challenges.  The bigger the club, the higher the expectations, and it isn't always going to make for an easy game.

Its unrealistic get the most stupid results you basically get done with a ball over the top or a long range screamer if the AI decides your winning too many games 

5 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

Its unrealistic get the most stupid results you basically get done with a ball over the top or a long range screamer if the AI decides your winning too many games 

It's also unrealistic to credit the AI with "deciding" things when it has no way of telling who you are, but seems it's not stopped you claiming it.

6 minutes ago, The Gaffer101 said:

This isn't possible, so if this is the stance you're taking , you need to step back and improve.

4 hours ago, El Payaso said:

A good thing would be that on every position we would have a generic role that we can build ourselves by having all the instructions available. 

Yes, you can do this with the defence and central midfield, but I'd also like to see a vanilla option for wingers and strikers. 

Archived