Hard

I know people get triggered by people saying fm is too hard and then people post screen shots of  a green schedule but for someone like me who has children and a job  plays for 1-2s every other day I find too much time is need to invest in this game for it to be good I have to go on the internet and search tactics and training and player roles, I get a small bit of time when my wife and daughter are out to play I just want to enjoy the game  not finish mid table with R Madrid because I'm not playing Ronaldo in the correct player position  I grew up with fm and I think it has come the time to stop playing I just want to put a formation together and buy some player and have fun,  the game has moved too far away from that.

anyway good bye fm I enjoyed it while it lasted 

FM Touch's assistant manager match plans are also decent. Alternatively, simply go holiday, let your assistant do the daily job, and set the return date for the transfers, and that is no joking. If you can overcome your ego, this game is optionally almost as casual as your wife's next Big Candy Crush. And if it helps to sink that ego a little, if you struggle for mid-table places with Real, you must be fielding Ronaldo as your primary keeper in all fairness. Whilst the game has a load of feedback, and a load of opaque options, the days when you could easily get decent teams performing as if they didn't have a clue are long over, and they are actually in past iterations.

What's also increasingly in past iterations is your ability to simply google for other people's stuff, pop it in, and just go on endless guaranteed winning streaks with mediocre at best sides by contributing nothing but hitting "continue", as this is (and was) primarily possible due to bugs, errors and glitches exploited to hell  and back -- and bad AI opponents. However, that isn't the concern, is it? :)

tbh I don't think FM-Touch would be the OP's answer, even with its more streamlined approach you still can't simply;

14 hours ago, Lee MMM said:

put a formation together and buy some player and have fun

...there will still be a need to adapt tactically & to buy appropriate players rather than just the best players, for some who started on CM or early FM's the level of detail under the hood on recent releases is simply too demanding on time or knowledge to be an enjoyable experience, that's understandable & is why I stopped paying flight sim games once MIcroProse stopped releasing them.

Really how interesting:rolleyes: 

You found plenty of time to tell us your life story, you could of played a couple of games in instead. As an adult I should think it is pretty easy to find something else to do, Why whinge like a little kid?

You forgot to add I played CM since 1990 at the start. 

I hear you, buddy. I have the exact same problem as you. It's sad when you no longer can play the game you used to love.

2 hours ago, Chinook2000 said:

Really how interesting:rolleyes: 

You found plenty of time to tell us your life story, you could of played a couple of games in instead. As an adult I should think it is pretty easy to find something else to do, Why whinge like a little kid?

You forgot to add I played CM since 1990 at the start. 

And you forgot to post a screen shot of a green schedule. :D

On 8/31/2017 at 08:54, Barside said:

for some who started on CM or early FM's the level of detail under the hood on recent releases is simply too demanding on time or knowledge to be an enjoyable experience, that's understandable & is why I stopped paying flight sim games once MIcroProse stopped releasing them.

This is such a simple truth and yet so many people struggle to grasp it. 

To the OP, try FM Touch and one of the downloadable tactics from fm-base. With that in hand, FM can again be an experience akin to the good old times. Since you have a family and a job, I presume you're past the juvenile attitude of "playing FM Touch is beneath me, let alone using someone else's tactics, I'm a proper FM player". 

On 8/31/2017 at 08:54, Barside said:

tbh I don't think FM-Touch would be the OP's answer, even with its more streamlined approach you still can't simply;

...there will still be a need to adapt tactically & to buy appropriate players rather than just the best players, for some who started on CM or early FM's the level of detail under the hood on recent releases is simply too demanding on time or knowledge to be an enjoyable experience, that's understandable & is why I stopped paying flight sim games once MIcroProse stopped releasing them.

Fun is subjective, but FM is the only game I've ever owned ever where I don't even need to be in front of the computer most of the time and still come out successful. I post this every single year, Rashidi has acknowledged to such more recent too so probably that dawning may spread one day.  I bought Arkane's Prey the last month, playing this on harder difficulties, that is a HARD game (by modern standards). FM is just something I tend to toy with in comparison, a football sandbox I am fascinated with (haven't much proper played in weeks). Even when focusing on just buying the "better" players, it's a matter of persisting more often than not. Provided you could take a few losses on the chin, and understood the nature of football (simulated or else). 

This would only ever change if SI got AI to somehow match even more basic human thinking. On Fifa Manager, AI doesn't even have to match a human in particular as per match management. Its text sims literally is pretty much about which side has the better players, and that's it, you won't ever get "green" schedules of results with worse sides. Whilst a few of FMBase etc. tactics are a bit naive and invite matches of the "60 shots no goal, opponent scores every shot" kind on the occasion: If you plug the great stuff in this becomes the easiest manager game of all time. Okay, apparently the second easiest after CM. More recent somebody complained what's the point as he could just download a tactics, take a lower league side, and be the dominant force of German football in the space of three seasons. Can't please everyone. Still there's difficulty levels for "almost" anyone here.

Wasting time on something you don't get any fun from seems pointless, though.

Oh the microprose games...how I miss them.

Babies - I didn't mind the early morning wake ups as I could get a game or 2 in when rocking the baby back to sleep or doing an early morning feed :D. Priorities change and time reduces but you can still fit a bit of time in

There used to a funny thread from years back about people squeezing matches in and its affect on their lives - it had me crying with laughter. A few I can recall:

1. One guy dressed up in a suit and waited for 3pm to play his FA Cup final

2. One guy "doing" post match interviews in his head sitting on the pan

3. One cheering so loud winning an important match in the early hours of the morning and had the neighbours banging the walls

4. I think more than one have had divorces with FM cited as a reason

Where is this thread - If someone could find this....:D

Im 52, my girls are grown up and I'm now busier than I've ever been but FM just seems to stay with me and even a little time can be fun. You choose your priorities and family wins every time but I'd say there is room for everything if you are careful

Some harsh responses on this. Im in the same boat. FM touch is not the same thing. As a suggestion for somebody who likes to play the full simulation it's a non goer. However the game has moved on and has to move on. Meanwhile the older players have less time. Generally gamers are the younger generation after all. Well I'm only 33 myself so more the 'have less responsibility' gamers.

As for me I try play one game of the season each evening. Or a certain length of time if it's post or pre season. Yes it's slow going but that's just how it is. OP just needs to play a slower game. Small but regular on full simulation. I'd suggest the OP does similar. Maybe even leave notes for himself that he can look at at some point in the day so he spends less time thinking at the screen as time runs out on that day's session.

Archived