Sports Interactive Community
declanmaher_

"The save game could not be loaded"

Closed my laptop after saving my game, then went on holiday for a week. Came back, plugged laptop in and started up FM17. Go to load my save, and for some reason there is no save preview when choosing to load my most recent save, and when I click to load the save, I'm met with "the save game could not be loaded". I've booted up other saves and they've worked, but keep getting this message? Has the game been corrupted, and is there any way I could get it back? 

Thanks!

I have the same issue - although my problems started with Steam saying FM17 was no longer installed. Played the game last night and exited as usual. So I got Steam to recognize my game folder again, but now my save game won't load. 266 hours down the drain ..

Same here. After I saved my game, my computer has reset itself (due to some problems I have with it). When I turned it on again and tried to load the game it said "the game could not be loaded". And I am sure the computer didn't reset during saving, but it was saved already when it happened.

Can the file even be fixed? 🙄

This message will be generated when a save game has been corrupted for some reason and the save  will normally not be recoverable.  You will have to go back to the last backup save.

You can check out this thread:

My save game no longer loads

If your system shut down or crashed mid-save then the file will be corrupted and cannot be fixed. 

Likewise if you game has been force closed for any reason there is a chance of save game corruption. 

The only opportunity to get the save back is to try and use Windows ‘Restore Previous Versions’ function. This will not always be on by default so may only work for some users.

To use this functionality, first go into your 'Documents' folder. Within there should be a Sports Interactive Folder. Go into the Football Manager 2017 folder.

Go into 'games' and right click on your save which no longer loads. In the menu that opens is an option called 'Restore Previous Versions', click that and see if it works. It'll first scan for a previous version then potentially give you the option to 'Restore'.

If this option isn't available to you, it may be worth searching the Internet for a file restoration program, which would enable you to roll back to a previous version of the save game file. We don't have a specific program we can recommend but some users have been able to do this. 

To make sure you don't have an issue like this again, we'd very much recommend going into your in-game preferences when you load up FM and turn on 'New File for Every Auto Save' option under the auto saves. We'd also suggest turning it on onto weekly or fortnightly so you always have a recent back up in case of any problems. We would also suggest making sure your Anti-Virus Program is correctly configured for FM and Steam.

So .. You're telling me that because a crash happened while FM17 was running, the save game is ruined? Even when I wasn't in the middle of saving?

ay I suggest that you in future versions of FM implement measures to eliminate these problems. First, a 'verify' function after saving so we know the game was saved correctly, and second it would be very nice if a savegame couldn't be affected by anything in or outside the game, as long as data wasn't being saved to it.

Seriously. A 7 seasons long career game I've been playing for ~250 hours is now lost due to my pc crashing while watching a stream with FM running in the background. Honestly, I'm not too pleased about it ..

- T

A computer crash caused by any number of reasons will always cause any programme that is running to be corrupted and this is not just happening in FM.  There is little that any software developer can do to stop this happening but if this does happen, the last paragraph of my last post gives full details of how you can avoid losing a long save by setting up the saving options at the start of a new game.  Are you saying that you have not set the saving options and so have no backup at all?  Do you not have a backup of your computer data that will have a save file on it?  Do you backup your computer data?

Seems like you're trying to make it sound like it's my fault? No, I didn't and have never used the backup save-option before. In hindsight that was certainly stupid, but I didn't expect that an idle game could corrupt a save file. That doesn't excuse you (FM programmers in general, not you personally) for not making sure a pc crash can't harm a save file that is not being written to/in use. Can we agree on that when the game is idle and not in the process of saving, the save file is not in use? All FM data is running in the memory and the only thing the save file is being used for is to save that data when you have to stop playing, and when you load up the game again, no? So unless some kind of data is constantly being written to the save file, it should be perfectly safe when not in use. Or am I wrong?

A computer crash caused by any number of reasons will always cause any programme that is running to be corrupted 

No it won't. I have had countless of crashes over the years (been a gamer for ~30 years now) when games for one reason or another decided to give up - very rarely did it corrupt save files. When it did happen however, the developers often acknowledged there was a bug in their game. I'm not saying it can't happen, but always? Nope.

I know I won't get my save game back, and I've already started a new one with backup saves, mind you, but it's still something that annoys me. A lot. Having three save games to make sure you don't loose progress seems a bit like overkill. 

Anyway, what happened happened and life goes on. Have a nice day.

- T

I've spoken to the developers in great detail about this issue in the past and unfortunately corruption can happen if the system shuts down/crashes in a manner that makes it like a hard reset. This is the case for any file which would be open at the time of crash or was used in the previous session - it's not just FM specific but it is rare. 

It's definitely not your fault, but we do ask users to use backup saves just in case, The save file is constantly in use even when not saving due to the nature of the way the game stores and writes history within the game itself. 

Have you attempted restoring the save game to a previous version? 

On 30/8/2017 at 12:03, Neil Brock said:

(...)The save file is constantly in use even when not saving due to the nature of the way the game stores and writes history within the game itself. 

Have you attempted restoring the save game to a previous version? 

Hi Neil

Thanks for the reply. Would it be too difficult to either make a separate history file or change how the history data is written to the save file? Maybe just cache it in memory or a temp file until the game is saved? I'd rather lose a bit of history than 250+ hours of gameplay.

Unfortunately I couldn't restore the file to a previous version - no previous versions existed.

- T

That is something we would have to consider in the future as would be a rather large change. Not to mention it would significantly increase the time it would take to save in-game. We're sorry you've lost your save game - for future reference it would be worth using the auto save function so you've always got a recent backup. 

Rather old thread but found it searching via Google for I have this issue NOW the very fist time in I think 10 years playing FM and just started playing FM 2018. Dev Team , simply rename the save file to savegame1 or savegamebackup and than save the new file. I do not know where there is big programming involved. But I do see how someone can turn blinded staring at the screen programming... XD

An interesting thought- maybe worth trying but I wonder how you can save the newly renamed file if it cannot be opened?