Help integrating special player who doesn't fit into tactics

I need some advice on how to integrate a player into my team who doesn't on the face of it fit into my tactics.  I've got the chance to sign a left winger (below) who is absolutely world class and still only 21:

Jullich.thumb.PNG.f9c67ad676867f02f6321f37b71449c6.PNG

The problem is I don't play a left winger.  I tend to play two tactical systems; a 532 DM and a 4312:

599fd11990463_Bolton532dm.thumb.PNG.4b0d32e4eecb5677273a9b95833906c4.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.51760b6be4a99ff1d98997ce0ca20701.PNG

Neither of which on the face it have a space for Jullich.  There are two options that I can envision:

1. Play him as a CWB(A) on the left. MY concern here is that although he's actually better defensively than most wingers, it doesn't feel like the best use of his attacking abilities given that naturally much of his time will be taken up defending. I've also had problems tactically integrating an attacking wing back into this system - with an attacking duty they tend to rampage up the flank and get very isolated from their midfield support (I've had this problem with the right WB). 

2. Given his passing and vision, I can also seem him in the AM(C) slot in the 4312 (he's not trained at all for this).  I'm not quite sure what role would suit him best given his dribbling and passing skills but (relatively) weaker off the ball, first touch & decisions.  I'm also slightly nervous about this as I feel that he probably has only a limited amounted of PA left and don't want to use up training time focusing on training him in a new position. 

Any advice on how to integrate him welcome. Or do you think it's not worth the hassle, and no player is worth shaking up your tactical plans for?

maybe train him up front? could be a creative force alongside a stronger finisher

other option is to edit your 4-3-1-2 slightly? so in your third training slot, just move him onto the left flank, central striker and have the attacking midfielder on the strikers right side? or play around with it, leave the attacking midfield central and striker wide right depending on situation and opposition weaknesses. never bad to have flexible options, and can give him playing time while retraining him some where else

Thanks @lemeuresnew - hadn't though of playing him as a striker but now you mention it i can see him as a False 9 linking midfield and attack in that 532. It's that (relatively) poor off the ball that worries me slightly with that option though. I think along with whatever positional retraining I go for I'll work on his OTB.

The asymetric 4312 is also a really interesting idea - any particular rationale though for putting him in the AM slot rather than the winger's AM(L) slot? Presumably you're suggesting sacrificing a striker? Going to have a play with this idea and see if I can get it working 

2 minutes ago, sue_donym said:

The asymetric 4312 is also a really interesting idea - any particular rationale though for putting him in the AM slot rather than the winger's AM(L) slot? Presumably you're suggesting sacrificing a striker? Going to have a play with this idea and see if I can get it working 

i was thinking having him in the aml position, 1 striker and an amc. but instead of the striker and amc both central, being split. so your left striker moves to the left wing. would leave more space for the amc to run in to his old position, and let your striker right drift wide still and use the right flank or attack far post

some times it is just fun to be different :)

3 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

i think he can play as a WB to fit in your first tactic ,

i would retrain him to MC position to fit both tactics and i would focus to marking and tackling till 14 ,because i think the other attributes are ok

but he has no aggression or jumping. and no great work rate so will not try and get involved enough for my liking

also wastes all of that crossing...

yeah, think so. you have your rpm covering behind him, and an attacking midfielder so that should give him support

the best thing about off set formations is that they are a lot easier to modify for different situations. if you find he is isolated, or your rpm behind is leaving too much space you have many options available. could switch the rpm to a holding role feeding in more balls from deep. pull the amc to the left am position and overload that side from deep. pull the striker left and overload up front to make space for midfielders

optionally, if the crossing just isnt working can have him as an inside forward or raumadter, attacking that empty strikers position from deeper. just depends on opposition and where you think you can exploit most

Thanks @roggiotis - I think I'd be happy for him to play as a WB in that system against weaker teams where his poorer defensive stats won't be as much of an issue, but I'd be nervous against top teams as I feel like he might be a liability defensively.

I'd probably be reluctant to have him focus on marking and tackling just because I feel like he's always going to be primarily an offensive player and would rather focus on his attacking stats than his defensive ones.

I would probably play him as the CM (A) and the AM (A) in your tactics. Customize these roles maybe so they will be more of a creative dribbler instead of a real goal-scorer. He isn't bad at scoring goals but not world-class either. 

Running from deep with the ball, with his speed and dribbling skills he will be almost unstoppable!

How does his scout report look?  Any negatives to be concerned about?  Argues with officials may mean his Temperament is low (by no means the end of the world) so worth checking the report if you haven't done so already.

In terms of where he could play and his role, attributes are king.  He could pretty much play anything from fullback to striker.  Work rate and aggression are perhaps a little low for a fullback, but his Determination could pick up most of the slack there.  Regista, RPM, Trequartista, attacking central midfielder, advanced playmaker, F9, even an out and out striker are all possible, as well as a winger or IF of course.

One thing to note - if he's at or near his potential and you start retraining to a different position that may (stress may) lead to a redistribution of attributes.  Improving positional familiarity will form part of his current ability calculation, and if he's already reached/near his potential then his attributes may need to reduce in order to accommodate such an uplift.  Not an issue if he has plenty of potential to develop, just something to bear in mind.

I'll also quickly play devil's advocate here and address the elephant in the room.  You don't use wingers, so why buy a winger?  If you want to change your tactical system, or if you believe you can adapt him to fit your system then fine, go for it.  But if you want an AMC for your system (for example), why not buy an AMC?  Attributes are king so if you want to adapt him to play at AMC (to continue the example) are there any better alternatives you could bring in instead for that position and role?

Thanks @jorgvandervloed - I agree that whatever role I find for him he'll be primarily a creator rather than a goal scorer. I need to decide whether to retrain him as an AM or ST. 

@herne79 thanks for your input - I agree completely part of the reason why I'm getting views is that he's so rounded im really not sure where I'll be the best out of him. Appreciate the comments re his PA/CA - I don't use any sort of editor so don't know how much he has left - scout reckons he's 4-4.5 star CA and 4.5-5 PA so think there is some room for him to improve but I am wary of diluting his skills by ie trying to retrain him first as an AM and a ST. At work at the moment so can't see full report so don't know if anything worrying on there.

I take your point re why I want to sign him in the first place and I think it needs some context - I manage Bolton and although we have a much higher stature in the game than Bolton are IRL we can't compete financially with Chelsea Manchester teams Liverpoool or Southampton (tycoon takeover). Therefore I don't often get the opportunity to sign a world class talent before one of them scoop them up (or before they're of sufficient stature that I can't afford them). I've been 'grooming' this lad for a while and priaising him etc to the pint that he says his preferred move is to us above Real or Southampton and due to his transfer request should be able get him for c35m, which although a lot I can scrape together. Put simply he's better than my players and I'm not so wedded to my tactics that I'm not prepared to try and find a role for him. 

I also think you make my case for me to an extent - his skills are so universal that I didn't have any real doubt he could be retrained and incorporated somewhere. I'd have been a lot more reluctant had he been a one dimensional pace merchant. 

That's your new wingback. Don't even think twice. I've been in an almost identical position with an almost identical player and he became a godlike assist machine, before he even learned the position.

1 hour ago, noikeee said:

That's your new wingback. Don't even think twice. I've been in an almost identical position with an almost identical player and he became a godlike assist machine, before he even learned the position.

Agree. I have 1 of similar type (although not as insane as yours yet), and he rocks the wingback. Best ratings, most assists

Archived