Does everyone have their Wage Budget set to weekly?

I always see people on here, or guides to the game, or FM youtubers talking about "£Xpw left in their wage budget", or "so-and-so wants £Xpw", and I know in the wider football world people generally talk about how much a player is on per week, but I can't be the only one who has my wage budget set to annual? I look at all my finances on an annual basis (sponsorship, TV money, prize money, wage expenditure etc.), plus my transfer budget is annual, so what use is knowing that I have £137,489pw left in my wage budget?

I'm just curious how many people set it to something different?

I tend to do it annually. Nicer aesthetically in line with the agent fees and transfer fees. Easier to quickly assess the impact on my total budgets for the year. Especially handy as I quite often adjust my transfer and wage allowance using the widget in the board room.... i.e. if I have 10m surplus wages and 20m transfer budget left... I treat it as one figure... 30m and when I sign a player for 5m I like to see his was as 5.2m rather than 100k per week so I can quickly deduct 10.2m (transfer fee + wage) from my 30m budget.

I wonder if anyone has changed from weekly (which I assume the majority of us start on) to something else and how you did it. Getting your brain to "see" those new values as being good or bad, since (as a few mentioned) we always hear weekly wages quoted in the media, so gives a point of reference.

Is it just a case of throwing yourself into the deep end and then comparing the yearly figures of players you intend to buy or offer contracts to, to other, similar players to get some sort of reference?

@HUNT3R In Greece, we are used to listen to yearly figures from the news, "player X will receive 1.2m every year".
There is no such thing as weekly wages here (like the rest of the world I guess). Still, there are some jobs which pay you weekly, but it's not the norm.

Now, since I am very good at basic math, I can quickly figure out "it's 100k p/m (1.2m/12 months)". And since in FM you have monthly income/expenditure, that's why I chose monthly.
Besides, it's easier to calculate "X amount x12 months" in your head, rather than "X amount x52 weeks"...

Yeah, that's fair enough, @ilkork. Your point of reference is then the monthly figures you see and hear from the media.

You mention basic math, but that's just it. I know that 300k / week is a lot in terms of wages. If I see 1200k / month or 15600k / year, I will always need to do the math to convert it to x / week (as that's my point of reference), which is unnecessary, imo. It'd take quite a while for me to be familiar enough with yearly or monthly figures, that I wouldn't need to convert it back to weekly.

It's monthly for most jobs where I am too, but football-wise, I see and hear weekly figures all the time.

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You mention basic math, but that's just it. I know that 300k / week is a lot in terms of wages. If I see 1200k / month or 15600k / year, I will always need to do the math to convert it to x / week (as that's my point of reference), which is unnecessary, imo. It'd take quite a while for me to be familiar enough with yearly or monthly figures, that I wouldn't need to convert it back to weekly.

Yes, but it isn't always 4 weeks, some months have 5 weeks :brock:. Whereas the months will always be 12 (unless NASA change it like the zodiac signs :D<--- in which I do not believe in)

For example, I look at this screen:59a3ba1fa2bef_wagespermonth.PNG.0fd61eff695bb700772aa86e4ac093da.PNG and I can quickly estimate "it's something more than 24m p/y".
Then, I can look at this screen and subtract it: currentseasonprofitloss.thumb.PNG.74ec09f0af42d8e4a7042c5013640744.PNG (the 24.19m value is purely random, nothing to do with the wages)
A more logical solution would be "yearly", but it's way too vague for me in the contract negotiation screen, that's why I chose monthly.

I guess it boils down to your environment, the surroundings, with what you've grown up with, what you hear mostly in the media, etc.
And it's not like "counting in weekly takes up a lot of time to do", it's 2017, we have calculators, but it's a combination of all the previous I mentioned, that's why it's monthly for me.

18 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I wonder if anyone has changed from weekly (which I assume the majority of us start on) to something else and how you did it.

I can't remember how long I've been playing with Annual, but I would imagine that most people would actually find it pretty simple to get used to a new system though. For instance, I know £5.2m pa is £100,000pw, and £10.4m pa is £200,000 pw, so I can very quickly get a sense of how a player's wage demands translate to the real world (if it even matters).

Part of the reason I asked is that I still find it weird that in the UK Premier League footballer's wages are usually quoted per week (Just seen for instance that The Ox was offered £180,000pw to renew at Arsenal). Is this an historical thing? A working class thing? (I used to get paid weekly when I worked in a factory), something to do with the old maximum wage? An F1 driver's contract, or a basketball player's contract is talked about as £Xm per year, and we know that they, like footballers, sign contracts for a set number of years/seasons, we all know they don't earn £180,000 for clocking in and out of their shifts every week!

21 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I wonder if anyone has changed from weekly (which I assume the majority of us start on) to something else and how you did it. Getting your brain to "see" those new values as being good or bad, since (as a few mentioned) we always hear weekly wages quoted in the media, so gives a point of reference.

Is it just a case of throwing yourself into the deep end and then comparing the yearly figures of players you intend to buy or offer contracts to, to other, similar players to get some sort of reference?

I sas weekly for years, but I haven't really played since 2015 or so, and even then a little bit, so I immediately felt I could switch to annual and I did.

I prefer monthly because of these well written explanations.

On 24.08.2017 at 16:40, Kalme Saki said:

I use monthly so I can compare it with my own (real life) paycheck. 

On 24.08.2017 at 15:35, Cougar2010 said:

I've always used monthly as the finances section shows income & expenditure on a monthly basis.

When I'm playing semi-pro/low level I tend to use p/w wages. Once I am professional I transition to p/a wages.

The bigger numbers are too hard to reconcile for me on a per week basis.

That I live in Canada and most pro sports are reported in p/a also helps.

I guess it depends of which part of the world you're coming from:

- UK/Australia: weekly

- US: annually

- Rest of Europe: monthly

- Rest of the world: ?

Being part of "rest of the Europe", I set it to monthly because this is how we're paid and it talks to me (annually too but I don't like contract negociations in annual terms).

And as Cougar said, the finance screen is on a monthly basis.

Archived