Defensive Line

If I'm not mistaken, defensive line is more an invisible line that tells the players when they have to start closing down. So when you play with a very high defensive line they will start to press earlier than when you play with a low one. 

Eventually, when your team isn't able to get the back quickly, they will retreat back into their defensive position. This is the formation that is in your tactic screen.

The d-line is where they will aim to position either by pushing up if they can or dropping to it.  They may play higher or lower as required but will aim for that line.

They will do pretty much what you want automatically, if you play a low mentality or drop the line deeper as they won't try to hold a high line and willingly drop deep.

The deeper you get the more compact you get, width setting doesn't affect defensive width.

Closing down and team shape, roles and duties will affect when positions should close down, though players will still move to engage if they think its the best option.  Check easy positions Player Instructions screen to see what there closing down setting is.  For example if you have BWM-D in front of a CB-C the cb will likely sit and leave the bwm to close down, if you had a Anchorman with a CB-X then the cb is likely to go close down and the anchorman sit and cover him.

4 hours ago, jaradthescot said:

I want my team to have a very high defensive line when I'm in possession but to withdraw and be compact when we are defending. Is that possible? I've always been confused at which (both?) the "defensive line" TI controls.

Play on defensive mentality to get them to be compact and then play structured/flex shape with a pushed up defensive line to counter the possibility that you could leave yourself vulnerable. Flanks will still be vulnerable to crossing since you are on a low mentality since you are compact

Wouldn't the mentality also affect how my team plays going forward? I'm currently on "control" and I'm concerned that changing the mentality will have many unforeseen knock-on affects such as tempo, (attacking) positioning, passing distance, &c. I know I could tweak all those settings individually, but I feel it'd make more sense to keep what I'm currently happy with and just tweak what I want changed. Unless that's not possible given the current tactical system in FM17?

Archived