Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Daavs

Champions League qualification but players unhappy

So, little background story:

I am currently managing Southampton in my second season, finishing 5th in my first one. We were playing so well i decided to promise van dijk, ibra, romeu, cedric, ward prowse and ze gomes that we'd qualify for champions league so they could stay.

Was fourth place almost at the end, not bad. I had very difficult features ahead. As mentioned before though, I finished 5th, sooo Europa League was a plan B. The opponents in EL were so easy and EPL opponents so hard, i prioritized EL. At the 34th round i was sixth, and at 35th i was already 8th place. One of these late rounds I drew, and CL qualification via EPL was impossible. Game ended, I was chill. Until I see the mailbox. ALL the players I promised wanted to leave. I was livid. I won EL. they still wanted to leave. All my superstars. And I am in CL. Career mode basically ruined because i was forced to sell them. Please, launch an update where you fix this. They wanted CL, I gave them. Just not the standard way.

It`s the same with league position, I finished the season in 7th place (which is not a guaranteed European qualification spot) and despite the FA cup final to be played between two teams in the top 4 (can`t be bothered to look back as to who it was), my players dropped the "wants to play European football" concern only after the FA cup final was played. 

That's really harsh and sounds like a bug.  I had a similar situation where I had the EL Cup final still to play but a load of my players became unhappy because auto promotion through EPL was no longer on the cards.  Despite only being promised we would qualify, not HOW we would qualify.  Luckily I won the final and they dropped their concerns, despite fears that having around 6 key players with abysmal morale could sabotage winning, which would be so ironic.

This instance of yours sounds even worse.

It seems like "we will qualify for <continental competition>" is less about the promise to play in that competition and more specifically "this is where we feel we will place in the league table."  I wouldn't be surprised if the chairman expectations are also similar (say we'll qualify for Euro Cup only applies to regular season performance and not Cup performance).

Looking at it this way, I can "understand" why players might be upset, but there's a definite huge issue with the messaging if this is the intent.  Needs to be made much clearer that anything like this is tied to league performance."

Edited by alanschu14

It's easy enough to see how the bug has come about, as you've said the trigger is based on league finish whereas the conversation only make reference to qualification & the league position is one of two ways to qualify for the following season's European club competitions. The good thing is that this should be a relatively easy fix for SI.