Protecting the back 4 in a 4-2-3-1

my 4-2-3-1 midfield seems abit strange I have no problems with the defence it seems the trouble I have is the upper end of the field I have a DLP on defend and a B2B on support I have no instructions for the 2 roles am I missing a trick here to improve my tactic and shield the defence and get a better understanding of my tactic

Football Manager 2017 19_08_2017 01_43_38.png

Football Manager 2017 19_08_2017 01_43_28.png

Perhaps the BBM is getting caught out being too far forward leaving no one to protect the back 4? With a 4-2-3-1 you already have 4 attacking players so you really don't need another. I would just go for a stable midfield pairing, such as a CM-S/DLP-D or CM-D/DLP-S, or even CM-S/CM-D. Basically avoid anyone who is going to make a lot of forward runs or get out of position a lot.

That's good advice from Camille there. In my Arsenal 4231 I use a cm/d - dlp/s combo, usually. Your tactic (judged by the pictures) is rather aggressive with pressing, a high d-line etc., so a conservative deep midfield is really needed in order to provide balance and security. Avoid roaming and runs with these two, both should really hold position.

Edit: And may I add: As long as you do that, you can afford to be a little more courageous with your full backs when you are the better team  - like giving them a wb/s role.

1 hour ago, thomit said:

That's good advice from Camille there. In my Arsenal 4231 I use a cm/d - dlp/s combo, usually. Your tactic (judged by the pictures) is rather aggressive with pressing, a high d-line etc., so a conservative deep midfield is really needed in order to provide balance and security. Avoid roaming and runs with these two, both should really hold position.

Edit: And may I add: As long as you do that, you can afford to be a little more courageous with your full backs when you are the better team  - like giving them a wb/s role.

thanks for the advice I have changed the b2b to a cm support and asked him to hold his position and making changes to the team instructions

On 19-8-2017 at 02:41, nimmospurs said:

my 4-2-3-1 midfield seems abit strange I have no problems with the defence it seems the trouble I have is the upper end of the field I have a DLP on defend and a B2B on support I have no instructions for the 2 roles am I missing a trick here to improve my tactic and shield the defence and get a better understanding of my tactic

Football Manager 2017 19_08_2017 01_43_38.png

Football Manager 2017 19_08_2017 01_43_28.png

You could try changing team shape! I'm using the same formation, same central midfield, only differences are a winger on support, attacking midfielder on support, and an attacking fullback behind the inside forward. Have no problems in defense. Of course, it also depends on the players you have at your disposal. You need fast players with a high defensive line. 

My attacking midfielder will probably help out in defence a bit more and I'm using a structured team-shape which makes my defensive players less attacking. Overall, your team will less inclined to deviate from given instructions and play a simpler game. 

Now, you're using Fluid - lots of creative freedom - with the instructions to be more expressive. Players are basically allowed to do whatever they want on the field. 

Could flip the duties, CM-D + DLP-S as both then have Hold Position to stop making forward runs and getting caught in front of the ball when its lost.

This is about as conservative pair as you can do without two defend duties. You already have a conservatative back 4 so you might not need to be so safe. But could allow you to be more adventurous with a FB of you see a flank vulnerable to an overlap.

I would check the roles and duties, out, they are vulnerable. Your set up with the TIs make you very vulnerable. I have done a how to make a 4231 plus helped other people with theirs, here is a link to one video, its part of my playlist so it will show you the playlist title video...but the link should take you to the tactic by Calamit, and within that playlist is also a video I do where I explain how I would create a 4231, its pitfalls and vulnerabilities and how I would protect them. I recall doing an Arsenal replication a while back but maybe it was for a private channel, can't quite remember. I think I have one video too many now.

Archived