Low possesion numbers

I play a 4-2-3-1 with Chelsea, ive tried many different things to try get some higher possession stats, I'm aiming for around 55-60% possession, ive tried more support roles and playing roles that would sit narrower but then I have no attacking threat, ive also tried having a few more attacking duties that would make runs for players to pass to but that still hasn't worked, I'm getting around 40-45% possession against lower level teams such as burnley and brighton, no matter what I do I cannot improve my possession.

Chelsea_  Overview-3.png

Possession on FM is measured in time rather than passes. I wrote a thread about this a long time ago but sadly the images no longer work but I've recently changed my website and now have it uploaded again with working images. I'd have a look at this as its full of ideas and explains how to create a possession tactics and the ideas behind it.

https://santosfm.co.uk/the-art-of-possession-football#more-140

Okay thank you very much it's a really good indepth read, I noticed you used a lot of support duties which I tried before. The only problem I seemed to have with this was I seemed to lack any real attacking threat, with limited runs off the ball from players, and suggestions on how to improve this or was it just me doing something wrong? 

It can be quite hard to generate high possession numbers against lesser teams in FM. Unlike real life, instead of deliberately conceding the possession battle, teams on low mentalities in FM play a lot of short safe passes in deep positions. 

To achieve decent possession against these teams you need to stop this. Tight marking and giving your front players the maximum closing down settings can help. You will also need players with good work rate and stamina. 

Also check your players don't dribble too much. That is not ideal for possession tactics. Another thing I'd recommend is to check the stats to see who is giving the ball away and who is not involved enough. If you can pinpoint a couple of problem players you can give them less risky passes PI's or adjust a few roles around him so he is less isolated. 

Tactics are only part of the equation, look at those players, especially the CM duo who have to link defence to attack and try and tell me they're good at it :herman:  Kante is not a DLP, he's a running machine and Fellani... you couldn't find a better option?  Willian isn't a good playmaker either, he's much better at running than playmaking.  I really hope thats not your first choice 11.

Those lower teams are probably playing Defensive, so really low tempo and no urgency to get the ball forward, if you want the ball you'll have to go get it off them, and if you want a higher % you'll have to not just give it straight back.  Why do you specifically want the % range of possession?  Is it just an expectation that because your a better team you should have the ball more?  Do you want to play a slower possession style, working the ball around patiently to break open defences?  You don't have to tell your whole team to press more, you could use OI's on the opponents back line to pressure them, which will typically be your high positioned players.

Make sure you have a defensive plan and a attacking plan that works together.  Then make sure you have the players who are good at doing them.  It's unlikely at the start to get all the players to perfectly fit your plan but the main parts should fit and the rest be able to do a job.

Archived