Football Manager 2018 Announcement

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Spedding said:

So here's one that didn't make the video - New attributes for training goalkeepers - GK distribution, GK Handling, GK Shot Stopping #FM18

Don't know why they didn't mention it as it is something that has been badly needed for years

Edited by MoxeysTheName

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

@Neil Brock hope you don't mind me asking but why was there no FMTV video about the changes to training and GK training in particular?

Some things we'd prefer people to find themselves in game but realistically we can't have videos referencing every single feature we add. For every feature one person thinks is major, another person thinks it's completely irrelevant.

So really some features which we couldn't squeeze in may be announced via our social channels, others as said you'll have to find yourselves. 

off topic but were can i find teams that need people to help with stats for the game, not been on forum for couple years due to baby and work and cant find the post that used to be there looking for fans to help, thanks

• Administrators
1 hour ago, CodArmy80 said:

off topic but were can i find teams that need people to help with stats for the game, not been on forum for couple years due to baby and work and cant find the post that used to be there looking for fans to help, thanks

You mean database and research? That can be found here - 

giggs.thumb.png.3dc7a72b5f18dd5a2462a42149d0c872.png

"Everton board has laughed off interest from Welsh legend apparently interested in the vacant managerial position... "

Anyone remembers when they too off that feature where you could shamelessly make yourself available for jobs? it seems Giggs' has found it in new version :D

It seems Griezmann is already testing too. There may be hope for everybody concernd about one on ones for the past decade. After all, according to Oliver Kahn on TV, after his former club went out to Atletico in the CL, Griezmann finishes at least 90% of his one on ones (and that's totally not made up or anything -- that Kahn quote broadcast to an audience of millions live on television, that is). :p 

Can you play multiplayer saves on the beta? can't remember if this was the case last year.

Also i really hope the online multiplayer performance gets a serious boost on fm18. After a couple of seasons its unplayable to everyone but the host.

My mate and I have been able to get through 49 seasons on fm17, but only via lan which is a pain in the ass given he's living in the other end of the country. Still faster than playing online though :lol:

Apologies if this is a silly question, if someone went into a store and bought me FM18 for Christmas, would that boxed version come with a Steam Code and or a CD/DVD?  as my Mac does not have a CD/DVD drive... so want to ensure it will have a Steam Code in it, in order to activate and play the game.

Do they need to ask for a specific type of boxed version?

3 minutes ago, Connor said:

Apologies if this is a silly question, if someone went into a store and bought me FM18 for Christmas, would that boxed version come with a Steam Code and or a CD/DVD?  as my Mac does not have a CD/DVD drive... so want to ensure it will have a Steam Code in it, in order to activate and play the game.

The steam key comes with the boxed version, just activate it on steam (add steam game) and you can download the game. No need for a CD/DVD drive. There is just one boxed version for PC/MAC/Linux.

8 minutes ago, Kristianmehl said:

My mate and I have been able to get through 49 seasons on fm17, but only via lan which is a pain in the ass given he's living in the other end of the country. Still faster than playing online though :lol:

How many players on the network game? If just two I've found the network play in FM17 to be far better than all previous versions. I never host and the lag is only on certain screens (loading training categories, scout list, loading landing screens such as social feed).

Reminds me of the old days on CM01/02 playing via Hamachi to create a VPN and the lag would be like 10 seconds per click!

7 minutes ago, Connor said:

The boxed version will obviously have a disk, unless they have changed it since last time i bought a boxed version, FM14. Id imagine there is a key also you can just enter,

If you have a PC you need to ask for PC version, if you have a mac, ask for mac version etc

As said i havent bought boxed version for a while so it may have changed

Edited by ChelseaSince86

1 minute ago, Connor said:

Perfect thank you Kubi for the clarification

Forgot that there there is the difference between the full game and FM touch. Ask for the full game.

2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

How many players on the network game? If just two I've found the network play in FM17 to be far better than all previous versions. I never host and the lag is only on certain screens (loading training categories, scout list, loading landing screens such as social feed).

Reminds me of the old days on CM01/02 playing via Hamachi to create a VPN and the lag would be like 10 seconds per click!

Hamachi was so pain staking. 

Just now, westy8chimp said:

Just two actually. And where not in the saharan desert or anyting, the internet speeds are ok here and everything is set up correctly. Whoever is not the host gets these lags when cliking pretty much anything - obviously the heavy ones like scouting lists etc. are the slowest. It is better than it has been before,but compared to other games (which may be less data heavy or whatever idk) its not up to par.

46 minutes ago, KUBI said:

The steam key comes with the boxed version, just activate it on steam (add steam game) and you can download the game. No need for a CD/DVD drive. There is just one boxed version for PC/MAC/Linux.

woh wait a minute surely this is going to cause mass stampeds across the world? just one boxed version ?  theres gonna be riots to get that one copy ;)

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Missed the pre-order discount by a couple of days, wasn't even paying attention to it.

And it's 54€ on steam now.

I guess steam counts as an official retailer for the beta release? It's not too late yet?

Steam is probably the most official retailer, if there could be such a thing.  And no it's not too late, you can get the beta right up to the moment the beta ends and becomes the full game.

Pro - Paul Robinson has won back more possession than any other player

Con -  Paul Robinson has lost more possession than any other player

Please tell me that isn't the GK just taking goalkicks... will be the same for every team.

None of the other pros and cons are very useful - little context.

Guest El Payaso
45 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Hopefully they now have by default every AI team having a player covering the edge of the penalty area when defending a corner as this already was an issue for several versions as the lurker outside the area was never covered and and able to collect the weaker clearances. 

And weak quality of long shots... Doesn't really surprise anymore.

6 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Hopefully they now have by default every AI team having a player covering the edge of the penalty area when defending a corner as this already was an issue for several versions as the lurker outside the area was never covered and and able to collect the weaker clearances. 

And weak quality of long shots... Doesn't really surprise anymore.

cant remember which one it was ... FM13 or FM14 ... I had Lampard score something like 200 goals one season because he was set to lurk outside area.

knock on effect I've not touched set pieces on any FM since. When playing network vs my brother we would spot check each others goals to make sure they aren't from suspicious set pieces.

Luckily with it on default and changing nothing the goals from set pieces on 16 & 17 have hovered between 5 & 10 per season.

Guest El Payaso
33 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

cant remember which one it was ... FM13 or FM14 ... I had Lampard score something like 200 goals one season because he was set to lurk outside area.

knock on effect I've not touched set pieces on any FM since. When playing network vs my brother we would spot check each others goals to make sure they aren't from suspicious set pieces.

Luckily with it on default and changing nothing the goals from set pieces on 16 & 17 have hovered between 5 & 10 per season.

Yes and the funny thing about set pieces is that the best way to keep things sensible is to keep the things in default settings to avoid breaking anything. While for me this is an area where you should possible be thinking a lot how you want to play them and by that maybe get 3-4 extra goals per season. :D I reported on that lack of defending player at the edge of the penalty area for the last two iterations of FM without any real answers. Also I remember on FM 2015 that delivering corners short was kinda game breaking as the player receiving the ball could do really strange things with it. Had 37-year-old Messi doing strange stuff out of them for half a season.

46 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Please tell me that isn't the GK just taking goalkicks... will be the same for every team.

Paul Robinson is a centre-back, but yes, that does look a bit odd. Also:

"We've regained possession well in central areas of the middle third of the pitch."

"We've lost a lot of possession in central areas of the middle third of the pitch."

49 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Contrary to the popular football song, there's NOT only one Paul Robinson... :D

12 minutes ago, Pompey1978 said:

I don't see why losing possession and regaining possession have to be mutually exclusive, though? You can only regain it if you lose it in the first place, surely? Don't see a problem myself.

It was more that I incorrectly thought it was the goalkeeper, in which case it's nonsense being told they keep or lose possession.

Even still ... it's not that helpful "P ROB wins the most possession.. great i'll keep him in the team then in that role" "P ROB loses the most possession... oh ... I better get rid then and try someone else there"

Not really sure what you as a manager can glean from any of those messages.

Out of 84 forays into the opposition third we have had 13 shots. Great but what's the league average? Does it take into account my style of play as to whether it's a positive or negative? If I'm playing slow and short I'd expect more conversion.... if I'm playing direct I would expect far higher turnover and therefore less chances per attack.

I just don't see a tangible benefit from that kind of advice... and it's probably another little feature that gets ignored.. it's not even aesthetically pleasing really.

28 minutes ago, El Payaso said:

Yes and the funny thing about set pieces is that the best way to keep things sensible is to keep the things in default settings to avoid breaking anything. While for me this is an area where you should possible be thinking a lot how you want to play them and by that maybe get 3-4 extra goals per season. :D I reported on that lack of defending player at the edge of the penalty area for the last two iterations of FM without any real answers. Also I remember on FM 2015 that delivering corners short was kinda game breaking as the player receiving the ball could do really strange things with it. Had 37-year-old Messi doing strange stuff out of them for half a season.

I always change them and it pays off very well.

Using a mixed approach i can get around 20-30 goals, per season.

Now with more options i think i can get even more goals from set pieces, one of the most important features in modern football.

Guest El Payaso
1 minute ago, apvmoreira said:

Now with more options i think i can get even more goals from set pieces, one of the most important features in modern football.

That's exactly what I was after: haven't seen a reason to change them as by that you can quite easily exploit the ME. I think the last time I edited these for long term were maybe on FM 2007 and 2008 and having someone flicking from the near post. Don't have will or need to use exploits like that anymore.

Just now, El Payaso said:

That's exactly what I was after: haven't seen a reason to change them as by that you can quite easily exploit the ME. I think the last time I edited these for long term were maybe on FM 2007 and 2008 and having someone flicking from the near post. Don't have will or need to use exploits like that anymore.

Why do you call it an exploit? If i can make more than 170 goals per season, can't 20 come from set pieces?

1 minute ago, apvmoreira said:

Last year in the premier league West Brom scored the most goals from corners with 12

Scoring 20-30 is ridiculous and definitely exploitative. I think @El Payaso like me is trying very hard NOT to score over 10 a season.

It's not that we can't ...it's that we don't want it to be easy.

What I would love is to be able to be a team like West Brom, use a philosophy  'make the most of set pieces' and have that give me either more options or a slight boost to set pieces to get from 5-10 a season to 10-15 to mirror real life.

Guest El Payaso
8 minutes ago, apvmoreira said:

Why do you call it an exploit? If i can make more than 170 goals per season, can't 20 come from set pieces?

Wow, you're really stacking those exploits together to get 170 goals. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just ain't my style to play the game like that.

15 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Last year in the premier league West Brom scored the most goals from corners with 12

Scoring 20-30 is ridiculous and definitely exploitative. I think @El Payaso like me is trying very hard NOT to score over 10 a season.

It's not that we can't ...it's that we don't want it to be easy.

What I would love is to be able to be a team like West Brom, use a philosophy  'make the most of set pieces' and have that give me either more options or a slight boost to set pieces to get from 5-10 a season to 10-15 to mirror real life.

I didn't say in the league, i did say that i scored 20-30, but is in overall, all competitions.

But the real question is that if you manage all details you have better results and now we have more tools to have greater success and a better AI to challenge us!

Hope Beta is out tomorrow!

Edited by apvmoreira

7 minutes ago, apvmoreira said:

I didn't say in the league, i did say that i scored 20-30, but is in overall, all competitions.

would love to see this team in real. an average squad would need about 200 matches to score 30 set pieces goals (penalties included).