Football Manager 2018 Announcement

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Probably on to something there. Why improve anything football related when we can have a cooler avatar and an extra design of regen clones. :thup:

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

To be fair, I saw someone guess that on Twitter and thought that sounded like something SI would address this year.

Newgen faces were my only major gripe with FM17 (too many 16-year-olds looking like Pete Doherty and/or Alan Cork). If they were significantly improved in FM18, I might be more tempted to pre-order.

i always turn off the regen faces. i don't know why this could be considered a feature but anyway still waiting for the reveal to bring some improvements to the tactical side of the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's also going to be some sort of trophy ceremony. Nothing to do with any anagrams, I just remember looking at pictures of people motion capturing lifting a trophy. About time there was some graphical representation of a cup win. Not that I'll ever see it, mind. 

9 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There's also going to be some sort of trophy ceremony. Nothing to do with any anagrams, I just remember looking at pictures of people motion capturing lifting a trophy. About time there was some graphical representation of a cup win. Not that I'll ever see it, mind. 

Yes, pretty much.

I remember that during the last year's Q&A Miles' reply to the question on if we are going to see trophy ceremonies was rather enigmatic: "Not this year."

Hoping for an attacking centre back role in FM18, this would be a huge help when playing a flat back 3 if you could assign one of the outside DC's to play using this type of movement.

Really excited to hear about any tactical developments in Friday's feature video. The hopes are always high before the event, I just hope it lives up to my dreams for the game's direction. :)

Just now, metallimuse said:

Does anyone know what time the BETA version will go live on Oct 27? Toying with booking the day off work if it's from 00:00

I wouldn't.  It's always advertised as "around 2 weeks" before.  There's no guarantee it's going to drop then, let alone a time.

29 minutes ago, metallimuse said:

Does anyone know what time the BETA version will go live on Oct 27? Toying with booking the day off work if it's from 00:00

last year it was in a wednesday 2 weeks prior if i remember correctly.

16 hours ago, forameuss said:

This place is going to be an absolute zoo come the features video as people invariably get their hopes far too high for them to ever be met.

And they haven't even teased the revolution yet. :D Any reasonable mind may roughly know what to expect from an annual release, it's been like how many years now? Since we're at predicting player feedback: Totally expecting a billion vitriolic rants about "getting FM'ed/SI'd/rigged" etcetera once the actual game hits too (in particular if a few defensive leaks are tweaked). All the while some actual issues (wide midfielder positioning :p ) aren't picked up by that same audience, plus the internet doing its magic trick of turning perfectly decent guys into something else completely. I've been around here long enough to remember when things used to be a tad different. But I can understand why staff would limit their communications to a minimum. And this place is pretty tidy, all things considering, no doubt because most of the guys on here seem top blokes even when sat in front of a keyboard. Most of the actual Steam™ seems to be vented elsewhere.

The aforementioned type always distracting from genuinelly stuff gets my goat a bit every time too though as a player, which is why I've opted to stay away of the usual threads this year when I get to try the new stuff (likely after some point the public demo hits). Which also means I may jump into this as a "virgin" untouched by "general forum consensus" going around. Can only imagine what this must be like on a developer's end. This twitter going around these days records some of it nicely though. I mean, criticism is one thing, I tend to think I rubbed into some wounds the game has myself -- as a typical costumer I always want more and better and speedyfastier for my cash, I'll let you know soon enough. But dang. Play nice folks. :)

Edited by Svenc

Hope there will be some news about the Touch version for tablet.

Always seems to me that the users that play FMT are a bit neglected by SI when it comes to revealing the news about the new game. I understand that we are a minority, but still we pay for the game like anyone else.

That said... give me a Basic Editor (change teams and competitions names, and that sort of things) for FMT and full control over tutoring, and i'll be a happy man until FMT19. :D 

Edited by Keyzer Soze

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

This is actually a good post to raise a Kotaku article I read a couple of days ago - Game Designer Says Developers Would Be More Candid If Gamer Culture Wasn't So Toxic

Now that's more talking about the really toxic element that games like No Man's Sky received, including death threats and such hilarity.  Luckily we haven't gotten to that stage, and hopefully never will, but the furore that will get kicked up makes it obvious to see why the vast majority of SI staff stay well away from the forums.  It's essentially the mods - not SI employees - on here, and then Miles on twitter (who does a marvelous job with putting people in their place).

It's oh so predictable how the release is going to go, particularly around everyone desperate to solve Miles' riddles.  The feature video will come, and it'll contain a lot of pretty cool things.  Plenty of people will say "but what about x?" and "it's terrible you haven't concentrated on y".  There'll be a lot of histrionics before we've even seen a sniff of getting to play for ourselves.  Then the game will come out, and we'll find hundreds more little quality of play improvements, because they're often the bits that go overlooked unfairly, and the vast majority will see it as not a revolutionary improvement over FM17, but a solid one.  This forum will, on the other hand, be a carnival of idiocy with people all over the place.  People will get accused of being fanboys and others will get banned for "just speaking their mind".  Calls of SI rigging matches, suggesting they haven't tested the game.  Questioning their capabilities as developers.  The whole routine.

Bottom line will be that the game will be an improvement on FM17 with some good and some bad.  And the forums will be horrendous.

We are currently in a society of people that want things right now.

Also the society of today is entitled to their opinions and some way too extreme. Perhaps being behind a monitor and a keyboard, makes their idiot sides escalate to a new levels. Sure the developers of No Man Sky has promised a lot of features that weren't included in the first versions of the game, but a friend of mine that is more into the game has said that those features are being included into the game over time. Much more like SI is doing with FM, but in SI case they only announce the new features, instead of their long time plan. Maybe that is for the best, as there is too much ego on the internet.

To be fair in terms of Miles doing good job on twitter... well it his account, after all. But there were times, that I said: "Holy Christ!!!! Did he just type that?"

People tend to questions SI 1000 plus new features, is simply mismatch of what a feature is. For SI anything that goes to the game is a feature, while a lot of costumers little tweaks or changing a button of its shape and moving elsewhere within UI is not a feature, but a simple tweak.

I think these forums are not horrendous. Just simply there are cases, that i felt could be handled any other way or it could be handled differently. We all go to these forums, because one way or another (some are just kind of hate/love relationship) have profound love for the game and we all want the game to improve one way or another. Maybe we don't agree with the direction that each version the game goes or what features get added instead of others (I'm FM touch Editor defender that should be part of the game two versions ago) and sometimes a feature we want so badly can make someone frustrated and disappointed. these users may feel the game is stagnant because little has improve in that side of the game, they hoped for improvements. We simply need to comprehensive to their points of views.

As for being unpaid beta testers, well all developers are doing it. They provide early access because a million beta testers are better then 50 to 100 beta testers. What developers in this case, simply try to hide that it is in fact it is beta testing. Maybe if they were straighforward with this cases, maybe the gamers would be more understanding of the developers position to give a more polish end product. But what people are now getting angry and tired of (sometimes early access gets dragged into this), is pre-order this game and get these DLCs, if you don't, though luck, play a half finish product. Or pay 40 to 60 pounds a game, but wait if you spend an extra 10 to 30 pounds you get, this, this and this DLC. That is wrong and should be stoped. I'm glad SI doesn't do this (the payed features can be unlocked by achieving certain things with the game and I'm okay with that, because i'm patient person).

This is been quite long. So Miles and SI, bring on the new features I'm ready for showdown. :p

If I'm keeping track of the letters correct, the following are possible with the letters given (and not repeating use).

• Dynamic Faces
  • Dynamic Potential
  • 1v1 Training
  • Set Piece Training

Here are my counts of letters and numbers (114 total)

A: 10
B: 0
C: 7
D: 4
E: 10
F: 2
G: 3
H: 1
I: 10
J: 0
K: 0
L: 5
M: 2
N: 9
O: 7
P: 3
Q: 0
R: 9
S: 9
T: 11
U: 3
V: 1
W: 0
X: 1
Y: 5
Z: 0
1: 2
2: 0
3: 0
4: 0
5: 0
6: 0
7: 0
8: 0
9: 0
0: 0

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

This forum will, on the other hand, be a carnival of idiocy with people all over the place.  People will get accused of being fanboys and others will get banned for "just speaking their mind".  Calls of SI rigging matches, suggesting they haven't tested the game.  Questioning their capabilities as developers.  The whole routine.

I suggest ignoring both for some improvements. I know it's always tempting to comment on classics like this (the comment on wingers being useless was targeted at FM 2016, by the way :D ).. (in general: as soon as something starts with: "I've been playing this since Cloughie ruled Europe , which means I am totally not a newbie to this...", run. But don't comment. The thing is, I actually think a game of FM's kind attracts and nurtures quite a few interesting mental traits itself. Look at the in-game clock, how many hours do you put into a save even a more casual one? It's a few. The game is this cruel it makes sure it reminds you of it. This is the kind of product where you tend to find: The more persistant somebody tends to be at directing all kinds of bile towards people, the more hours he puts into playing this regardless, and feeling miserable as a result (maybe that's the aim). So there's no point in arguing, I've tried it. I literally showed one guy in tiniest detail what the issue was, which was partly the game engine to blame, but also his input accentuating it (often the case), and I've been trolled by: "No; you must be on the pay-roll to whitewash!" since. [Whish I was, how much, SI?]

There's no point. It's an obsession and a mind game fairly quickly. However, the same goes the other way around. And if you think the nature of the game itself through (hours logged in, no direct control but only influence over everything), it makes a lot of sense. That the game is targeted at generally football fans, and that every football fan has deemed himself an expert since men kicked ball is a whole different topic. Don't comment, just post what you think is good and bad. Hopefully more of the former, less of the latter. Hopefully an improvement over previous too. I also whish that people would hold actual football as their yard stick though, and on that topic of "getting rigged" I am hopeful BBC's introduction of Expected Goals into their stats zone may make a bit of a difference. It's not a perfect measure, by any means. But clearly.... not every sitter is in any kind of way a sitter. And pundits don't get away with it as easily anymore for making it sound as such.

Edited by Svenc

Guest El Payaso
1 hour ago, Harper said:

If I'm keeping track of the letters correct, the following are possible with the letters given (and not repeating use).

• Dynamic Faces
  • Dynamic Potential
  • 1v1 Training
  • Set Piece Training

The first one for me doesn't matter a single bit. But if the training system is evolving, then I'm really satisfied, of course depending on how these features are executed. 

For me the right way is that both tactically and by training you can make big differences on players' stats and average ratings (having for example a BWM as your highest performer depending on the style of play) and big differences on for example how players develop and how the careers of older players pan out. 

I hope that the transfer system in general and newgen attribute distribution has some tweaks.

And of course the ME. Been complaining about same things ever since FM 2010 and not too optimistic about it being different. They reached a better level (to me) in FM 2013 but the scenarios how goals are scored and chances created have been once again highly repetitive in last few iterations so I doubt that some things like having a feeling of lack of space on the pitch is easy to introduce. The only things I would ask for the ME is that there were more scenarios on how the chances are created (if you have a team like Crystal Palace then you're strong through crosses, if you have prime years' Lampard then you're threat from long range, if you're midget team like Barcelona you won't expect too many goals from floated crosses) and it would actually be hard for example for wingers and strikers to perform.

2 hours ago, El Payaso said:

The only things I would ask for the ME is that there were more scenarios on how the chances are created (if you have a team like Crystal Palace then you're strong through crosses, if you have prime years' Lampard then you're threat from long range, if you're midget team like Barcelona you won't expect too many goals from floated crosses) and it would actually be hard for example for wingers and strikers to perform.

I agree. If it's targeting a sim though, it's easy to fall in stereo-types too though. For instance, if you go through the numbers here, you will find that even "midget" teams don't differ hugely in their amount of crosses (the pass type section), or long shots from range (the shot location section of that side), or anything. Purely approaching this from a "game" perspective things would be naturally be much more rewarding if there was a huge, immediately obvious difference between teams. Still was able to build quite a few specialst sides on past iterations. :D

By the way, a more acccessible screen like that would also be nice, just outlining a few strengths and weaknesses of teams in-game (the characteristics if you scroll down). Plus, as you highlighted in your thread, a few improvements to AI squad development. :-P

Guest El Payaso
23 hours ago, Svenc said:

I agree. If it's targeting a sim though, it's easy to fall in stereo-types too though. For instance, if you go through the numbers here, you will find that even "midget" teams don't differ hugely in their amount of crosses (the pass type section), or long shots from range (the shot location section of that side), or anything. Purely approaching this from a "game" perspective things would be naturally be much more rewarding if there was a huge, immediately obvious difference between teams. Still was able to build quite a few specialst sides on past iterations. :D

Yeah of course but there should be differences like not being able to play effective, attractive short passing game with teams that lack the quality do so. Like for example Crystal Palace scoring majority of their goals through short passing combinations from the edge of the area. And this was one of the most common ways to score on 2017 no matter what team you played with. Just like a better variation and more football-like chances created and goals scored instead of the non sense that we have to witness lot of the time currently. And even if you have a sensible style of play with no major faults you still would have to face the fact that your team doesn't have the quality to actually make it work effectively aka less plug and play options. 

And not saying that are easily done as I've complained about the same ME things for 7 years. :D

Since I am an iPad FM player I am eager to know if there will be some radical changes in the Touch version to make it identical to the PC version. If the Touch version wont be closer to the PC version this year I am not going to buy it. What really irritates me is the lack of Hands on interaction in terms of communication with players on the Touch. I cant tell someone who is playing well/badly what I want, nor can I hold a team meeting to fix something when I want to. That rarely happens and if it does then it comes at a stupid time and a suggestion from the assistant. 

We need these things to make the game more realistic. I want to be able to turn a disgruntled player around and make him aware of what I am thinking. Right now, it is just a throw of the dice what happens. Please please please tell me this has been integrated into Touch 2018. It would be my xmas gift this year if so. 

To manage expectations regarding tomorrow's video  -  Miles tweeted last night to make clear that it is a headline feature video that won't go into masses of detail. Seven more detailed videos will subsequently be released, but no details were shared about when they will be released. I'd assume them to trickle through periodically as in the past.

37 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

To manage expectations regarding tomorrow's video  -  Miles tweeted last night to make clear that it is a headline feature video that won't go into masses of detail. Seven more detailed videos will subsequently be released, but no details were shared about when they will be released. I'd assume them to trickle through periodically as in the past.

Probably once a week, with the last one in the first week of november.

I think this first video will be very generic, only saying things like.... "800 new features", "improved ME" and probably some images of the UI and a small video of gameplay, to let us, users, try to figure the new features.

23 minutes ago, Keyzer Soze said:

Probably once a week, with the last one in the first week of november.

I think this first video will be very generic, only saying things like.... "800 new features", "improved ME" and probably some images of the UI and a small video of gameplay, to let us, users, try to figure the new features.

Most likely that is what is going to happen.

FM18 will have to be something special to make me give up my FM16 save.  Very interested by the comment by miles that no one will play 2D any more, that suggests that either  2D will no longer be available, which I doubt or that there will be a massive improvement in the 3D match engine.  If it is the latter I may be interested in upgrading, it really depends on how different it is from what we have already.

22 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

FM18 will have to be something special to make me give up my FM16 save.  Very interested by the comment by miles that no one will play 2D any more, that suggests that either  2D will no longer be available, which I doubt or that there will be a massive improvement in the 3D match engine.  If it is the latter I may be interested in upgrading, it really depends on how different it is from what we have already.

i sincerely hope that 2d is NOT gone.  3D hasn't advanced so much to completely ditch the 2d mode.

not even 3D manager  camera since there are rumors this is to be included in FM18

Edited by andu1

6 minutes ago, andu1 said:

i sincerely hope that 2d is NOT gone.  3D hasn't advanced so much to completely ditch the 2d mode.

not even 3D manager  camera since there are rumors this is to be included in FM18

I am really intrigued by this "no one will play 2d anymore". if miles really said that it means they have MASSIVELY update the 3d representation. don't think the 2d is out as SI was lamenting for years that majority of FM players have crap computers that still run xp. which is kind of contradictory with "no one will play 2d anymore" as majority of people wouldn't have a PC that could run that. which makes me think why would they go and MASSIVELY update the 3d hmmm

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

I am really intrigued by this "no one will play 2d anymore". if miles really said that it means they have MASSIVELY update the 3d representation. don't think the 2d is out as SI was lamenting for years that majority of FM players have crap computers that still run xp. which is kind of contradictory with "no one will play 2d anymore" as majority of people wouldn't have a PC that could run that. which makes me think why would they go and MASSIVELY update the 3d hmmm

To be fair we haven't supported XP for a couple of versions. I don't think I could deal with the forum meltdown if we removed 2D :D 

Guest El Payaso
9 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

To be fair we haven't supported XP for a couple of versions. I don't think I could deal with the forum meltdown if we removed 2D :D 

Phew, was starting to panic a little bit as my FM playing career would surely have ended there. :) Or I would just be using the commentary. 

5 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

hope it isn't but I guess players/staff getting older, changing haircut, growing stache...

But that's already in, for better or worse, sometimes newgens they can even grow long hair and a handlebar moustache over the space of a day ;)

Really? Can't understand the value people put on a cartoon face. Even if it works ideally ... is it that good? The chances are it will be full of bugs in its first release with black people turning white overnight and a 36 year old striker looking like he's drunk from a fake holy grail.

Harry Kane, 37, has decided to hang up his boots ...

old regen.JPG