Football Manager 2018 Announcement

14 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

It is pretty much as you said, it is anti-consumer and just playing with people's "bargain drive". There is absolutely NOTHING in it for the consumer other than £7-8 off or whatever 25% will end up being, as well as playing the game an entire TWO WEEKS EARLY. It is just a cheap marketing gimmick which i severely dislike. I have disliked it for a while now, ever since the "pre order bonuses" started to get way out of hand. Also, when you said "You are simply given an option to preorder a game", that is literally all that preordering if for any game. You can't dislike the way Warner Bros does preorders, or the way FIFA and Call of Duty do preorders, and try to say that SI is doing it any different. They're exactly the same, "preorder now and get these sweet bonuses".  

Surely the fact that someone is saving money on the RRP is a good thing? I'm not sure how you see that as anti-consumer. Is it because some people won't be able to save that money after the offer ends? As that's just retail and offers, it happens in all aspect of life. I could perhaps understand if it was revealed that the RRP was artificially inflated to swallow the discount - so for arguments sake: FM 17 was released at £34.99, yet FM18 is suddenly released at £42.99, but those who order early get the discount. I can understand some anger towards that. 

However, on the bare face of it all we are being given a chance to be rewarded for our 'loyalty' (owning FM17) by getting a cheaper release price on FM18. Unless there are hidden conditions I can't see on first appearance, or the historical RRP base price per unit is suddenly jacked up, I don't see this as being entirely Anti-Consumer. 

I think you find I can pick and choose, or at the very least discern a level of preference towards how different publishers manage their preorders. As far as I'm concerned there is a marked difference between how someone like Ubisoft does preorders, with several SKUS on offer for essentially the same game each with a varying degree of content at base level, plus whatever they offer for preordering, and Nintendo, where you preorder and you pretty much just get your game or machine (hopefully). 

I'm not denying that there is a growing level of scepticism and apathy towards how publishers see and treat gamers (CONSUMERS) with their marketing and preorder campaigns. No doubt about it. However, the vitriol on display towards this offer seems rather misguided. It's not as if SIGames have come out and said:

"PREORDER NOW AND GET 20%, PLUS AN EXTRA £1m in your transfer kitty, and Messi on loan for 5 games. Also, if you preorder now, you'll get exclusive preorder DLC packs for FM Touch!" 

I could understand the strange swirling mist of rage that has brewed if that was the case. 

10 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

Because I find it immoral that companies are allowed to sell a product without actually releasing any details about what that product is. Obviously we know it is Football Manager, and that it is going to be very similar to the previous iteration of the game, but that is it. 

Even kickstarters tell you about the product before you invest your money in to it. 

Well that's fine, at least I have some understanding as to where your dislike for this is coming from. However, I'm fairly sure it was mentioned by Miles in the OP that the offer will be available for a significant amount of time to allow for all features and impressions to be released and published. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

I'm not saying you should listen to me more than someone else, but I really think you should listen to criticism more than you listen to praise. 

SI listen to a daftly high amount of criticism, that I can guarantee you.

Jeez, no pleasing some people.... Happy to pre-order as I get updated squads, ME and AI. Every year in the FM series there has also been a new feature which adds to the realism so I would be very surprised if 2018 doesn't follow suit. Great job SI, Sega etc. Already ordered. 

Excellent! I'm new to FM with 2017 and really appreciate the thought of adding a discount for existing customers. That's not a widespread practice in the gaming market. I'll be eagerly awaiting news for FM2018, thanks.

• Administrators

This point of this thread isn't to discuss the merits of the pre-order system. John Yuki has made his points which is fair enough - would appreciate it if people stopped trying to convince him otherwise. 

Thanks. 

Look either way, there is nothing more I can really say about this. If people are content with buying (pre-purchasing) a game that isn't even ready yet then that is your right. However, I just want to make it clear that I think that accepting preorders for games is just bad practice as a whole, not just preordering Football Manager. At the end of the day it is your money so you can do with it what you please. 

Edited by John_Yuki

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I see in the specs that a whopping 7gb is required for FM18 - compared to FM17 which required 3gb! 

That's a whole 4gb extra - there must be some exciting stuff going on (or a typo?)

Including a copy of FM Touch surely accounts for a few GB?

4 minutes ago, John_Yuki said:

Look either way, there is nothing more I can really say about this. If people are content with buying (pre-purchasing) a game that isn't even ready yet then that is your right. However, I just want to make it clear that I think that accepting preorders for games is just bad practice as a whole, not just preordering Football Manager. At the end of the day it is your money so you can do with it what you please. 

Proofs in the pudding - perhaps get back on topic?

599312d3a2f16_ScreenShot2017-08-15at16_26_53.thumb.png.348e7796aae528c0eecd3779a77cd3e2.png

3 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

Including a copy of FM Touch surely accounts for a few GB?

Ah - that explains that so! 

Do you have to get FM Touch with it? Or can you forego that? I suppose it's neither here nor there.

• Administrators
Just now, BoxToBox said:

I guess just don't download it?

Football Manager Touch 2018 will appear in library once activated. All games will only download when the user clicks to install. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisNUFC said:

Although, having said all I've said I do notice their has been a mark up in base price from FM17 (£34.99) to FM18 (£37.99). :sega:

The SRP (suggested retail price) has stayed the same. Each retailer will have their own reasons, but if the price is higher in your country than it was last year, it’s most likely down to exchange rate changes or to extra costs, such as full translations at launch.

20 minutes ago, who_is_it said:

7Gb like last year = no new big features.

Come on guys, SI are just talking about the release date. Please stop with the guesswork about new features, till they get announced.  

1 minute ago, Rashidi said:

Come on guys, SI are just talking about the release date. Please stop with the guesswork about new features, till they get announced.  

the game needs new features, we all knows that. the features of last year are little features.

1 minute ago, who_is_it said:

the game needs new features, we all knows that. the features of last year are little features.

I am not prepared to get into a long debate with you to respect the purpose of this thread. Now you're off picking last year's game. If you can't stay on topic, you risk seeing your posts moderated.

As someone who's not a fan of pre-ordering games (Red Dead Redemption 2 being the exception), I fully understand John_Yuki's beliefs, *but* I also don't believe game developers force consumers to buy it.

I may be wrong, but for some companies, be it books or games, pre-orders can determine how much money is sunk into it/how much of an advance can be issued - I doubt this would happen for FM, as it has such a large fanbase.

Ultimately, it's down to choice - if you want access to the Beta, you'll pre-order. Some will wait until Christmas when there's likely to be a price-reduction/have been several patches. 

(Sorry to SI for re-hijacking the thread!) 

Personally, FM is something I will buy. I can't imagine I stop doing so after playing every single game in the lineage from CM94/95, and I look forward to seeing what SI have in store for us this year.

Well, I just bought the game... it better be good :).

But I just looked at my Steam library and got a brilliant idea for next year, so SI/SEGA, please listen:

Many stores have a loyalty program, where when you buy 10 items you get 11th for free. As FM2018 will be my 10th FM bought on Steam, I expect that next year I receive my FM2019 as a gift to a very loyal customer :cool:

Ordered mine... Whatever changes are made, it'll still be money well spent as I've bought every incarnation since the original Championship Manager.

It could cost £60 and still be value for money for the amount I play it, roll on the beta... :)

Have preordered game as normal.

I have enjoyed all the other games when played them and buy all titles through steam and feel everything sports interactive do is to improve the game and customer experience each year.

so in show of faith to everyone and sports interactive and this superb game will always part with my money as soon as new game announced.

i feel excitement like at start of new season for my team and look forward to what miles and team have in store for us this year.

one request can we have podcasts back miss these or can we have question and answer session in glasgow or somewhere in scotland this year ref the game as always seems to be in england.

excellent release date. and i'll do what i have done for last couple of seasons. will buy it in late february/march when all 'major' bugs are fixed. (oh and cheaper, cos not paying full price for a game that has issues for atleast 30% of it's shelf life)

You can get a refund through Steam if you aren't happy with the product, provided you have under 2 hours played on it. I am totally against pre-order culture, but this is the one game that I will pre-order every year - until SI hurt me, that is ;)

Also, late September? Uggghhh. Over a month to wait for news and only 2 episodes of Game of Thrones left, gonna have to find something else to fill this void...

Out of interest, with steams new gifting policy not allowing you to gift a game from a lower economic area to higher, how would purchasing a gift copy on the SEGA store work? Is it an ROW key or a steam gift?

Can we even pre-purchase giftable copies?

was thinking about pre-order FM18 this morning when i wake up, then straight checked into steam and turns out it's open for pre-order

then pre-order it rightaway as I always pre-order FM series without any hesitate, I believe even though the features are not released yet, they will make a great game :)

12 hours ago, John_Yuki said:

Except at Football clubs you know what you are getting when you purchase your season ticket. We know NOTHING about this game yet, and you have already opened pre-orders for the game? I don't see the benefit of this for your loyal customers at all. It seems more logical to start accepting pre-orders AFTER you release details about the game. I would love to hear your reasoning for doing this? 

You don't though. Your club might sell your favourite players, or do a Rangers.

11 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Do you know what I can safely assume based on every year before? Updated squads, ME and AI. That's enough to get me to pre-order, nevermind the 25% off. For those who want to wait, they can.

I uninstalled and deleted FM17 six months ago due to heavy work commitments. I'm still going to damn well order FM18 due to 20 years of loyalty!

14 hours ago, Connor said:

Ah ok so the System Requirements HAVE been released also, albeit just on steam

Perfect thanks

I'm not the best with the system requirements, my laptop runs FM 17 okay and had an i5 processor, looking at the requirements for 18 will my laptop run it okay? It doesn't say if an i5 processor will run it. 

80% discount. Amazing.  I paid $50 a couple of days ago and, to top it all off,  am having my enjoyment ruined because the FFP calculations in the Champions League and Premier League both include Dividends as expenditure which is plain wrong.  Can you please confirm whether this will be resolved in FM18?  This is an issue that has been raised on these forums before, I can see, but never satisfactorily answered by SI.  I cant for the life of me work out how to edit the Champions League FFP either - The EPL one I can deactivate in the editor (advanced rules), or change what is included in expenditure, but this doesn't seem to be possible for the Champions League?

Seeing I have paid 80% more than anyone buying today, to spend a few extra days on the game where I have now been trying to resolve the inaccuracies of the game, I really (REALLY) would appreciate some advice / commentary here....

Just to agree with others that the simplification of the 'discount' and the fact that some features will be known in time is a good response to feedback from last year.

I think because last year was the first time, I did wonder if there was any wool being pulled over the eyes, but I think this is a fair approach. Well played.

2 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

I'm not the best with the system requirements, my laptop runs FM 17 okay and had an i5 processor, looking at the requirements for 18 will my laptop run it okay? It doesn't say if an i5 processor will run it. 

Pop over to the new laptop thread to discuss.

Basically it comes down to your type of processor, i5 only lets us know it's possibly a dual core (could be quad core) but there's lots of different models of i5 processors.

Post your full system specs over on the laptop thread :)

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Pop over to the new laptop thread to discuss.

Basically it comes down to your type of processor, i5 only lets us know it's possibly a dual core (could be quad core) but there's lots of different models of i5 processors.

Post your full system specs over on the laptop thread :)

Cool cheers mate!

18 hours ago, John_Yuki said:

I have had discussions about this game's demographic before on the Football Manager subreddit. This game's demographic is not what I would call "hardcore gamers". The people who play this game are mostly people who have full-time jobs, are parents, have lots of family commitments, and so on. Just getting the game every year is something they look forward to, because at the end of the day, they don't care about is in the game as long as they have the latest one. I have seen this first hand with my dad when he buys the latest Call of Duty each year as soon as it releases. He is not a "hardcore" gamer, or regular gamer, he is just happy to get the game, regardless of what features are in it or not. These types of players tend not to get involved too much with discussing features. They just think "oh yay the new game released I'll preorder it now so I can play it before anyone else". 

Then you have the "hardcore" gamers, or "regular" gamers, whatever you want to call them. These are the people who get actively involved in these types of discussion, where they will voice their displeasure over the game, get in to debates on forums about it (cough cough), and actually criticise parts of the game they dislike. I'm not saying you should listen to me more than someone else, but I really think you should listen to criticism more than you listen to praise. 

Well like many I myself have bought this game since the very beginning and do look forward to the new release each year. Yes I have a full time job, yes I'm a parent but why does that mean I don't care about the game.? buying the game for the last 20 odd years tells me I do care about the game, yeah there's been problems. But Sports interactive do there best to fix them some easy some not. Also your last two assumptions "discussing features and playing before anybody else" so we have to play the game the " hardcore gamers way" or not at all.? Have you ever thought about it like this, That some of us just enjoy the game and if SI want to offer me 25% now then great and I'm sure there will be issues on release and frustrations and anger but ill get over it and play the game. Also Si can I have 25% off FM 2019 please Ill pre-order now.:D

• Administrators
Just now, brad71 said:

Well like many I myself have bought this game since the very beginning and do look forward to the new release each year. Yes I have a full time job, yes I'm a parent but why does that mean I don't care about the game.? buying the game for the last 20 odd years tells me I do care about the game, yeah there's been problems. But Sports interactive do there best to fix them some easy some not. Also your last two assumptions "discussing features and playing before anybody else" so we have to play the game the " hardcore gamers way" or not at all.? Have you ever thought about it like this, That some of us just enjoy the game and if SI want to offer me 25% now then great and I'm sure there will be issues on release and frustrations and anger but ill get over it and play the game. Also Si can I have 25% off FM 2019 please Ill pre-order now.:D

It's fine brad71, John_Yuki realises people have their own opinions about this he has his own which we're all entitled to. This debate has been done to death a bit in this thread so best to leave it now. Thanks. 

Imagine getting absolutely raging over a completely optional pre-order.  

Credit to SI - they listened to the problems people had with last year's release and addressed them, giving what amounts to probably around a tenner off a full-price game, even if you wait until quite close to release.  Really struggling to see anything they've done wrong here.

This is the kind of marketing I'm absolutely against. Please watch YouTube gaming channels who are completely against it and see their views. No wonder gaming industry is going down the toilet.