Losing players straight after signing?

So I'm playing an old version of the game (2014, iPad) but thought I'd share in case anyone else has had this problem...

So after a couple of early firings (Kidderminster and Nantwich) I found myself managing Accrington in L2 and about 3 years in I got us to win the league, a great achievement for the club. Annoyingly my top scorer for the last 3 seasons as well as my best midfielder all refused to negotiate, so I had to try and replace them. The striker I bought in had won young player of the season the year before and my scouts said he was a must-sign. Got him for the incredible deal of £1m and his ability ended up being 4.5 when he arrived! He's only in his early 20s. League debut - scores twice - and then another double in the league cup in his second game (we lost in ET but he still got two) so obviously I'm excited, especially since we really struggled for goals last season!

What happens after the game? Aston Villa offer 3.9m for him that I have to accept because I had to put the bloody big club release clause in his contract. So I've lost him after two games! Sorry but this shouldn't be possible, as in reality the clause would obviously have a time limit in which it couldn't be activated (i.e. after two games). It's gutting as I can't find anyone else to replace him who is anywhere near as good. I've always struggled to find real top strikers for my teams and I bet he would've been one.

• SI Staff

Sorry but this shouldn't be possible, as in reality the clause would obviously have a time limit in which it couldn't be activated (i.e. after two games). It's gutting as I can't find anyone else to replace him who is anywhere near as good. I've always struggled to find real top strikers for my teams and I bet he would've been one.

Players insist on these clauses BECAUSE they want to move onto a bigger club when the chance arises and I don't think there is generally a time-limit involved after which it 'activates'  .. its generally fairly rare a club will move that quickly on someone because in the main it takes time to attract attention, but apparently you got unlucky.

It's hard being a smaller club in the game and keeping/attracting talent - same as it is in real-life, heck Liverpool are having a bit of a mare trying to hang onto their players even ...

PS - Sometimes you might be able to get away with offering a big-club release clause to sign someone and then renegotiating with them for a higher base wage without the clause once they are at the club.

Archived