Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
seanfitzpatrick95

Game crashes causing my Laptop to turn off-FM2016

Heya,

This issue started only I say in the past week. I am 5 seasons into this save and I have never encountered this problem before. It started in my last friendly game and there were 35 minutes left in the match and my laptop just turns off by itself. So I was like okay just a glitch or something and I try again and then same thing happened again. So I kept playing and the next game or 2 went the same way. It would just crash at random points in the game and my not just the game but my laptop would just turn off. And occasionally it will let me go through 2 or 3 matches before the problem happens again. I've checked everything. All my software, windows, graphic cards are in sync with the game requirements. I have checked my laptop for viruses and nothing is there. Its only 2 years old so its not old age. Its really bothering as I love FM but especially this save. I have poured my heart and soul into save and its really bothering me that it just shuts down and my laptop completely. I've also checked and cleared my cache files and preferences so it's not that either and also validated the games files through steam if that makes sense. The only thing I haven't done is uninstall and reinstall the game. So I was just wondering what do you think the problem is?

A problem with the game may cause a game crash, but a problem that shuts down the computer altogether is a hardware issue, almost certainly with the machine overheating and shutting down to stop further damage.  During a match, the graphics load is much higher and I suspect that this is overheating the graphics card, causing the shutdown.  This is particularly an issue with laptops that run hot anyway.  Check that the fans are clear of dust and then Google for more suggestions to cure a laptop overheat.  It would probably be worthwhile in any case taking the machine to a professional or a friend who knows what he is doing to have the laptop cleaned as this should not cost a lot and will give long term benefits

The game itself cannot close down your machine and only the operating system can do this.  You can always use a third party application to check the temps of the machine while under load and this may help you to pinpoint the issue.