Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  

I have just experienced this issue as well. Shut down the computer last night after playing FM17, turned it on a few hours later and when I tried launching FM17 Steam told me it wasn't installed. I doubt that this has something to do with the anti-virus software (I use Symantec) since if that were the case most likely the .exe file would be quarantined or deleted (nevertheless I already have both Steam and FM17 added to the exclusion list of the anti-virus). All the files were still present, yet Steam just seemed to believe that the game wasn't installed. Since my savegame was created in the latest FM version it wasn't a big problem; I just reinstalled the game and was good to go (I've seen other users complaining about this issue that after installing weren't able to load their savegames). But considering that a few people have experienced this, I suppose that it should be looked into.

Okay thanks for the information here. How exactly did you shut the game and system down? Was the game or Steam still open when the system shut down? When you shut down, did you do so via the Start -> Power -> Shut Down or did you just press the power button? Did you go into any kind of hibernation/sleep mode at any point? Basically the more information you can provide the more helpful it'd be, just so we can try and figure out exactly what caused this for you.

Thanks. 

Thanks for the reply.

It was a normal shutdown, no issues detected. I quit FM and saved my game (via FM -> Quit Game and Exit). Then just did Start -> Shutdown. No hibernation/sleep ever occurred, since I have my system set up so that it never does that.

Steam was, however, running when I performed the shutdown.

Edited by Goncalo

Thanks, I saw it on another thread and since then I've been exiting Steam before shutting down the computer. But it must really be an extremely rare occurrence, because I've been using Steam for twelve years, have hundreds of games, and this was the very first time that something like this happened to me.

Yeah to be honest we've only heard of it happening a handful of times so it really is quite rare. 

In case this information might be helpful at all, I just exited FM and then proceeded to exit Steam before shutting down the computer. As I did that, I received a message from Steam saying that it was still waiting for FM to stop. I then noticed in Task Manager that the FM process was still active even though the game window had already closed some seconds ago, and remained active for some time more (maybe some 20 seconds) until it finally stopped. I don't know if this is what happened when FM got uninstalled, but since I used to close FM and immediately proceed to shutdown the computer, it's a real possibility.

Edited by Goncalo

Okay we appreciate the information you've provided. Do let us know if you encounter any further issues related to this. Hopefully Steam will be able to figure out why this happens sometimes.