Tweaks to 4-3-3

I have been using my own version of a 4-3-3 Wide formation for a number of seasons with a lot of success. Due to that success I have started to struggle to break teams down and would like some suggestions as to ways I can mix things up.

I have changed to Standard and Very Fluid which has increased by shots on target but I think it might leave me open at the back.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.36.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 2.35.59 PM.png

Why have you changed shape/mentality? That's no guarantee you will score goals - if control/structured has been working for you then I would stick with that and look to change roles/duties before anything. In order to break down defensive sides I think you may need more from your full-backs - maybe try Clyne as a FBa/WBa with henderson covering him, or maybe give one of your inside forward an attack duty.

Broard question. Depends if you're going to be weaker or stronger than opposition, how you want to play, where your goal threat is etc.  I play exact same formation with target man support, inside forwards on attack and 2 bwm either side of dlp defend. Counter, def slightly deeper. But i play as leeds and am trying to impose myself against quite a few better teams in championship and once promoted again we are the underdog in the prem. It would be sh1t3 tactic for a technically superior team like Arsenal /Barca etc But i like seeing my front 5 ( dlp d hangs back) kicking chunks out of opposition.

Ive never got it working with the club i manage but...

lack of amc should allow false 9 space to drop deep,

insife forwards to play narrow on player instructions becoming a front 2 ahead and around false 9

fullbacks to enter the wide space vacated by the inside forwards. 

Really reliable dlp d needed to protect centre backs if you're allowing fb yo bomb forward though.

If ypu press the opposition enough i find their forward balls to be quite hopeful and my dlp heads a lot of high balls from the backline. 

Jc557 is right about the fullbacks. I usually win promotion from championship with leeds with both on fb a with this formations and both the leeds team and i arent that great! 

I use the same formation with a few differences.  I switched to a counter fluid from a control fluid.  It made a ton of difference at the back and hasn't affected going forward.

My middle three were similar to yours, a cm(a), dlp(d), and an rpm.  I found that the dlp was good but with two play makers it could get stuck in the midfield.  I switched up the dlp to a cm(d).  It worked a treat.  The guy sits back just in front of the back 4 and rarely leaves his position.  This gave me incredible stability and breaks up a lot of play.  The rpm will carry the play forward and gets back nicely.  

At the back I use wb(a), a cb or dcb(c), bpd(s).  The ball playing defender pushes up and intercepts a ton of balls.  He is usually moving up to join the cm(d) and the cover man just sits back.  It really works well.  I have the wb sit narrow which keeps the back 4 compact.  If you are getting beat on the wings a lot, switch to a support role or have the IFs man mark the opposition fullbacks.  It might drag them out of position but I wouldn't worry about that too much.  It doesn't affect the team going forward.  My wbs are two of the most important players in the side.  They overlap with the IFs and put a lot of crosses in the box or cut backs to the IF. 

At the top, the striker and wings are all told to close down the opposition.

Your TIs are pretty standard but you have a very wide setting and short passing.  That could leave gaps for the opposition to exploit defensively and your players could be quite far away from each other.  I switched mine to narrow, mixed passing and turned off the expression.  The only people that I really want doing their own thing at times is the roaming play maker and the wings.  I would try turning that off unless the opposition are sitting deep and they are tough to break down but even then patience is the name of the game.  I dropped my team to a low pace which helps when we have the ball.  We counter like lightening when the room is available but my team is very good at holding the ball.  That gives players time to get forward.  I usually have 5 players (CF, IFx2, CM, RPM) in or at the box and the WBs are somewhere forward as well.  This creates a lot of overload and leads to a lot of chances.

PIs pretty much restrict all shots.  Everyone is put on don't shoot.  The IFs, CF, and RPM have play through balls.  The CM(d), has short passing.  The IFs and CF are actually on direct passing.  There are other instructions but I think those are the ones which will help.  

On 08/08/2017 at 07:06, guy.almighty said:

I use the same formation with a few differences.  I switched to a counter fluid from a control fluid.  It made a ton of difference at the back and hasn't affected going forward.

My middle three were similar to yours, a cm(a), dlp(d), and an rpm.  I found that the dlp was good but with two play makers it could get stuck in the midfield.  I switched up the dlp to a cm(d).  It worked a treat.  The guy sits back just in front of the back 4 and rarely leaves his position.  This gave me incredible stability and breaks up a lot of play.  The rpm will carry the play forward and gets back nicely.  

At the back I use wb(a), a cb or dcb(c), bpd(s).  The ball playing defender pushes up and intercepts a ton of balls.  He is usually moving up to join the cm(d) and the cover man just sits back.  It really works well.  I have the wb sit narrow which keeps the back 4 compact.  If you are getting beat on the wings a lot, switch to a support role or have the IFs man mark the opposition fullbacks.  It might drag them out of position but I wouldn't worry about that too much.  It doesn't affect the team going forward.  My wbs are two of the most important players in the side.  They overlap with the IFs and put a lot of crosses in the box or cut backs to the IF. 

At the top, the striker and wings are all told to close down the opposition.

Your TIs are pretty standard but you have a very wide setting and short passing.  That could leave gaps for the opposition to exploit defensively and your players could be quite far away from each other.  I switched mine to narrow, mixed passing and turned off the expression.  The only people that I really want doing their own thing at times is the roaming play maker and the wings.  I would try turning that off unless the opposition are sitting deep and they are tough to break down but even then patience is the name of the game.  I dropped my team to a low pace which helps when we have the ball.  We counter like lightening when the room is available but my team is very good at holding the ball.  That gives players time to get forward.  I usually have 5 players (CF, IFx2, CM, RPM) in or at the box and the WBs are somewhere forward as well.  This creates a lot of overload and leads to a lot of chances.

PIs pretty much restrict all shots.  Everyone is put on don't shoot.  The IFs, CF, and RPM have play through balls.  The CM(d), has short passing.  The IFs and CF are actually on direct passing.  There are other instructions but I think those are the ones which will help.  

Yeah sounds like we are pretty close. I had actually just switched to a CM (D) but changed the CM (A) to AP (A) but will see how it goes with your way. I had it on wide to try and spread the field and create spaces so I will give that a try to. What did you have your front 3 set as?

To keep things really simple; i would go for something like this...

CF (S)

IF (S)                                              IF (S)

BBM (S)   -   CM (D)   -   AP (S)

FB (S)   -   CD (D)   -   CD (D)   -   FB (A)

Depending on what you want, you could change the left IF (S) to a IF (A) to get more runs and him being more of a goal-threat. AP and IF on the right, in combination with the FB (A), will take care of the build-up. IF on the left, BBM, CF will take care of the goals. 

On 8/11/2017 at 03:47, Azza2306 said:

Yeah sounds like we are pretty close. I had actually just switched to a CM (D) but changed the CM (A) to AP (A) but will see how it goes with your way. I had it on wide to try and spread the field and create spaces so I will give that a try to. What did you have your front 3 set as?

I have two IF(s) and a CF(s).  I experimented with an AP but found that he didn't get forward like I wanted.  The CM (a) just bursts into the box and I usually end up with 4 in the box and another on the edge.  While I've got very talented midfielders, the return on goals from the CM(a) is insane.  I rotate a lot and the two players that I normally use in that position, Dele Ali and a regen, score for fun almost.  I think end of February and they had about 30 goals between them.  And the players in the RPM have about 20 assists and 10 goals between them.  

The front 3 all have risky passes, more direct passing, and shoot less.  All of my players are set on shoot less.  Which doesn't seem to work as my team usually has about 20-30 shots per match and 12+ on goal.   

Archived