How to get more out of this player

So I have this player who is supposed to be a great talent. He wanted to go to Arsenal, but then rejected their offer as apparently he wasn't happy with the wage they offered...

20170802130609_1.thumb.jpg.1ee84b14de063a2c8b258302d267bf91.jpg

To be honest I was happy selling him, as he's often disappointing in actual match performance despite all his talent. He rarely get's a bad grade as he rarely makes mistakes, but I feel he's just not as decisive as he should be. He rarely creates chances and he rarely scores, which are things I expect from an attacking midfielder, especially in my current tactic. However, since he rejected the Arsenal offer and that's the only club who wants him, I guess I just have to make the most of it.

I'm not entirely sure what to do with him though. I have 2 other good AMC's in my squad and about 4 talents in my reserve squad who start to get close to be ready for regular first team football. I want him to develop into more than a guy who usually passes the ball to someone wearing the correct colour, I want him to win matches for me. I don't know how though. He's fast, can sue both feet, good technically and has good composure and decisions. Looking at his skill set I think he perhaps would be better as an inside forward on support. That would mean I should adept my tactics though. Not sure which PPM's would sim him neither, I tried to teach him to play one-two's, which he failed, and for other PPM's he's weak at at least one skill that seems important for it to me. Guess refrains from taking long shots would fit, but I'm not sure who that would make him more decisive.

Anyways. all advise is welcome. Please discuss.

Depends on what you want him to do. If he is going to be a pass first playmaker you need to add a few ppm's: Tries killer balls often, Pass rather than shoot, etc. for which he has the ability.

If you want him to be more decisive use the Roaming Playmaker Training and skip Pass rather than shoot and decide if you want him to place shots and round the keeper which both would be good with a lot of speed.

I'm not sure about Inside Forward but then I don't really use them.

Biggest problem is patience........both yours and his.

I think he has good potential as a Coutinho type.

@kick wilstra

If any team comes to you with an offer to the player, I would consider selling him.

His natural fitness is very low, that's a little indication of the player being ---> injury prone (check the coach reports, I might be wrong).

I think he's probably best as a winger currently, a bit of work on his dribbling, agility and crossing and he would be really good.

He lacks multiple attributes to be a central player or one that cuts inside, it would take a lot of development in many of them to get a consistent end product. 

He isn't injury prone, natural fitness isn't directly related to that, it's more relates whether a players is susceptible to become jaded. Although I'm happy to sell him anyway, as he has indeed some glaring weaknesses.

I guess wingers would suit him best, although is his dribbling is rather lacklustre as well, it says 12 but it actually just jumped to 11.6. Downside is that I play a 4-3-2-1 narrow, so that would mean a change of tactics.

i wouldn't give up on him just yet! Really, you only need to increase his passing, dribbling and off the ball for him to become a world-class play-maker.  He still has a lot of room to grow anyways. He has a decent personality as well.

Having said that, it really depends on your tactic if a player will shine or not. Can't really say anything if we don't know how you play. 4-3-2-1 is the formation you use? I would definitely look at a spot in the Attacking Midfield strata. 

Playmaking abilities are all good though not excellent yet, he can knock the ball past an opponent and cross the ball from the byline and it looks like he could be a cracking shadow striker as well (finishing isn't high, but the composure and technique and two-footedness compensate for that a lot).

So it's really more about what type of player you want him to be rather than a cause for concern he's not destroying the division yet when he's 19 and with enough potential for the likes of Arsenal and the Brazil manager to be interested in him.

"Moves into channels" would seem like an obvious PM to try regardless, as he's all about speed to cause problems in gaps rather than intelligence and robustness to avoid players getting tight on him.

I think Cleon did a thread about changing tactic to make a new player stand out more, doubt the images are still online, but he proved that the overall role selection and how they work together is very important. 

Instead of making his best player the focal point of the tactic by giving him a play-maker role, he instead made sure that other players would attract the ball more often which caused his best player to have time to be in better positions to hit a through pass or finish off an attack. His stats went through the roof...

Can't recall the name though...

• SI Staff

Re. Natural Fitness - it is not directly related to injury proneness. NF affects a player's recovery time from both injuries and matches. It also contributes towards the various peak ages, for example how long before a player begins to decline physically.

Don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes things just click. I have a winger with some weaknesses according to his attributes, but he works brilliantly as an AP/A in the AML slot. I might be wrong here (someone can confirm?), but a run of good form should aid his development as well.

By the same token, don't be afraid to be ruthless and cut him. With some players, you just can't make it work. Knowing when to draw the line and get a better alternative is important.

With him struggling to learn new tricks, it looks like he has attitude issues. I'd check out the 'Motivating' attribute on some of your staff to see if there's an issue there as well.

Archived